Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Gologle posted:

Earth in Dragonball makes no sense, to be fair.

DOG PRESIDENT 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Gologle posted:

Traded strength for incredible food and technology.
No one else has capsules and time machines and galactic threat level androids.

No seven-three doesnt count he sucks

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

The weird thing is in Dragonball ki and supernatural abilities were a commonplace, accepted phenomenon. Suddenly in Z everyone thinks it's fake.

Media is a hell of a drug.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Gologle posted:

The divine hierarchy wasn't thought out at all either. Vegeta and Frieza knew Beerus existed all along but conveniently never mentioned him a single time before he was introduced decades down the line.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TheLoneStar posted:

The divine hierarchy wasn't thought out at all either. Vegeta and Frieza knew Beerus existed all along but conveniently never mentioned him a single time before he was introduced decades down the line.

To be fair Vegeta didn’t mention Frieza when he was on his “I AM THE GREATEST WARRIOR TO EVER LIVE” bullshit in the Saiyan Saga. Yeah it’s a retcon but tbh it’s more believable that Vegeta and Frieza “forgot” to mention that someone unambiguously stronger than they could ever hope to become existed than, say “the head scientist of the army that Kid Goku kicked the poo poo out of spent twenty-something years creating cyborgs/androids and a chimera ant to dunk on him” that were way stronger than freaking Frieza.

At least when you include the part where he did all that but forgot to fix the problem introduced way back in Dragonball where the cyborgs instantly disobey their creator. Dr. Gero, the universe’s greatest savant.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

I always feel a little bad for Krillin, because realistically he is the actual strongest human, well him or Tien.

But then I remember 18 and there is no reason to feel bad for Krillin.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

To be fair Vegeta didn’t mention Frieza when he was on his “I AM THE GREATEST WARRIOR TO EVER LIVE” bullshit in the Saiyan Saga.
Well, that's true. I guess I kind of roll my eyes because of the amount of times the series goes "Oh no actually, there's a god ABOVE this god!" It's done like seven times and it always feels kind of forced.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
It would have been exceedingly funny if Frieza came down to Earth along with his dad to seek revenge on Goku, and they find the Earth completely burned and their asses kicked by 17/18.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

kdrudy posted:

I always feel a little bad for Krillin, because realistically he is the actual strongest human, well him or Tien.

But then I remember 18 and there is no reason to feel bad for Krillin.

I never feel sorry for Krillin, aside from the brutal deaths, everything worked out pretty well once he grew out of his “little poo poo” phase.

…anyone ever wonder what Dragonball would be like if Toriyama actually committed to killing Krillin way back in the King Piccolo arc? He obviously planned on it being permanent since he made a new character for the actress to voice like two chapters after it happened (which was really genuinely nice of him) and probably planned far enough ahead to Shenron getting blown the gently caress up but he weenied out after a certain point. “Samurai sword guy” sounds more interesting fight-wise than “other turtle school student” but it probably wouldn’t feel the same.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

TheLoneStar posted:

Well, that's true. I guess I kind of roll my eyes because of the amount of times the series goes "Oh no actually, there's a god ABOVE this god!" It's done like seven times and it always feels kind of forced.

Doing this just from memory so help me out here

Kami
King Kai/King Yemma
Grand Kai
Supreme Kai
Grand Supreme Kai :rip:
Beerus/Whis
That little poo poo Zeno
Bulma once you realize she made another Zeno via time travel

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Future Trunks wasting Mecha Freiza instantly has hella OPM vibes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

pik_d posted:

Kami
King Kai/King Yemma
Grand Kai
Supreme Kai
Beerus/Whis
That little poo poo Zeno

You forgot the Grand Priest between Whis and Zeno, but other than that, it's accurate.

graham cracker posted:

Future Trunks wasting Mecha Freiza instantly has hella OPM vibes.

He starts Saitama but quickly turns out to be Genos, poor guy.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

pik_d posted:

Kami
King Kai/King Yemma
Grand Kai
Supreme Kai
Beerus/Whis
That little poo poo Zeno

Supreme Kai is the same tier as Beerus. Grand Supreme Kai isn't a real thing and was basically Universe 7 exclusive since the other universes rarely have more than 2 supreme Kai.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

At least when you include the part where he did all that but forgot to fix the problem introduced way back in Dragonball where the cyborgs instantly disobey their creator. Dr. Gero, the universe’s greatest savant.

The man who invented the infinite energy generator and infinite energy capacitor but never put a wire between them

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Blaze Dragon posted:

He starts Saitama but quickly turns out to be Genos, poor guy.

Beats being Kuririn Rider'd.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Eeepies posted:

It would have been exceedingly funny if Frieza came down to Earth along with his dad to seek revenge on Goku, and they find the Earth completely burned and their asses kicked by 17/18.

You’d think there would be a what if story about this.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

pik_d posted:

Kami
King Kai/King Yemma
Grand Kai
Supreme Kai
Beerus/Whis
That little poo poo Zeno
Basically, yes. And each one only gets mentioned or appears when the plot needs it. The Grand Kai doesn't even appear in the manga, he just gets mentioned.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

The weird thing is in Dragonball ki and supernatural abilities were a commonplace, accepted phenomenon. Suddenly in Z everyone thinks it's fake.

mate we've known that the earth is a globe, vaccines work and the earth is boiling alive for centuries but there are more people than reasonably rational who think those things aren't true.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 12, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Haven't watched DB or DBZ in a while but I don't remember them spending a lot of time on what the average civilian thought of the world. Or the moon exploding and getting rebuilt, twice.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
It's kinda bullshit how Trunks never went ape

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

A jargogle posted:

The man who invented the infinite energy generator and infinite energy capacitor but never put a wire between them

The absorby hands bit was not... infinite

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

RareAcumen posted:

Haven't watched DB or DBZ in a while but I don't remember them spending a lot of time on what the average civilian thought of the world. Or the moon exploding and getting rebuilt, twice.

The first time was televised, wasn't it? Second time the older generation probably knew better than to ask question about such things.

Gologle posted:

It's kinda bullshit how Trunks never went ape

Didn't have a tail for whatever reason. You choose if he was docked or if Toriyama forgot.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 12, 2021

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Last Celebration posted:

I never feel sorry for Krillin, aside from the brutal deaths, everything worked out pretty well once he grew out of his “little poo poo” phase.

grew out of? he becomes a cop

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

chiasaur11 posted:

Mr. Satan is so powerful that any timeline where he dies is erased from existence due to sheer illogic.
It's only appropriate, Hercule Satan is one of the all time top tier names after all.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Traded strength for incredible food and technology.
No one else has capsules and time machines and galactic threat level multiverse-saving androids.

No seven-three doesnt count he sucks

Fixed that for you. All hail 17, the multiverse's hero.

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

It's only appropriate, Hercule Satan is one of the all time top tier names after all.

Even better, his full name is Mark Hercule Satan.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

A jargogle posted:

He never invented the infinite energy wire.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Elfface posted:

He never invented the infinite energy wire.

If he had just waited two more years before trying to kill goku...

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Gologle posted:

Offtopic I know but the DB earth is really fascinating. The tech (minaiture tech), odd animals (dinosaurs? wtf) and lack of people/cities etc etc. It's like a post apocalyptic world that retained some of the tech.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
There are plenty of cities. You see a bunch of them get destroyed

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah the gang are all fightman hermits.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Suspicious Lump posted:

Offtopic I know but the DB earth is really fascinating. The tech (minaiture tech), odd animals (dinosaurs? wtf) and lack of people/cities etc etc. It's like a post apocalyptic world that retained some of the tech.

It's like they made the Chrono Trigger world map house an anime

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

It's like they made the Chrono Trigger world map house an anime

I mean, they have the same character designer.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
i think many people will agree on this but toriyama's strength as an artist is in his creatures and technology. i really like his robot designs.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Lamebot posted:

i think many people will agree on this but toriyama's strength as an artist is in his creatures and technology. i really like his robot designs.

I always loved those splash pages of Goku and Bulma wearing cool outfits and riding various bikes and cars and robots in the manga, they were always so cool and detailed.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Lamebot posted:

He also deserves credit for his panel composition too but yeah Toriyama’s monster/mech designs are so good.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Toriyama's strength is anything he doesn't have to draw more than once.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Suspicious Lump posted:

I really like the concept of a peaceful one-world government, where humans and dog-people live side by side, and the whole planet is protected by a team of literal gods!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
And Yamcha

Thoren
May 28, 2008

Gologle posted:

And Yamcha

yeah I guess he's protected by the literal gods too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yamcha doesn't need literal gods because he is protected by the gods of baseball.