Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

lilljonas posted:

Well if it will help curb scalpers in the long run to some degree, it's better than nothing. But I'm not stoked that it's the second time in a year that GW releases a new product that gets my interest (which is good) where I can't even wait until it's released to decide if I want to pick it up or not.

You can though. You might not get as good a deal, but you can buy everything separately.

Plus, GW sends quite a few copies out to reviewers, so you've got a week before they even open up pre-orders to look at those and decide if it interests you. I'm not sure what additional information you'd be able to get to make your decision by waiting for after the launch (at which point you'll still be able to buy everything separately anyways).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I get that the kill team box is going to be way more available then hexfire or the ork box but it still is super weird that kill team won't have an evergreen starter.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

An evergreen starter wouldn't make sense since all a player needs is core book, army book, and a Start Collecting.

They'd have to do a box with all of those things, and the SC is already discounted.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

moths posted:

An evergreen starter wouldn't make sense since all a player needs is core book, army book, and a Start Collecting.

They'd have to do a box with all of those things, and the SC is already discounted.
Are you talking about a 40k starter? They have three of those. For Kill Team most Start Collecting box sets wouldn't be any good since they include models you can't use. Like Nectomunda, Titanicus, and Aeronautical all have evergreen starters, it would make sense to keep Octarius in print.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'd be surprised if they don't do Killteam boxes to go with KT2 like they've done Warcry boxes. Stuff like this. A variety pack of a small number preexisting models that are good for creating a team.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I hope so. Right now in 6 months Kill team is going to have a difficult onboarding experience for new players. I guess it depends on if GW thinks if this as just another thing to do with the models you already have or its own gameline.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I assumed that after the Octarius box is over, they'll have those 2 specialized teams available via other boxes

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

And a two-week window adds time to check your local stores, which I will try first. I should be able to turn up with to pick it up with a guard and ork team ready to play.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

neaden posted:

Are you talking about a 40k starter? They have three of those. For Kill Team most Start Collecting box sets wouldn't be any good since they include models you can't use. Like Nectomunda, Titanicus, and Aeronautical all have evergreen starters, it would make sense to keep Octarius in print.

There's going to be stuff you can't use but that's absolutely how it's an on-ramp to 40k.

Like, it'd be cooler if they did warcry style mini assortment boxes, but that's a tall order when they're wrestling with eveything else.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

I think GW’s reasoning is that to start kill team, all you should need is a box of infantry. Like the veteran guard faction only take ten folks by default.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

neaden posted:

I get that the kill team box is going to be way more available then hexfire or the ork box but it still is super weird that kill team won't have an evergreen starter.

The big boy games that had limited time only launch boxes were all followed up by evergreen starters. With age of sigmar and dominion they didn't show the starters until after the limited box was already on sale.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

lilljonas posted:

Did you read the link? Quoting GW:

” Everyone who pre-orders a copy of the new Kill Team this weekend will get one.”

For clarity, also a Quote: "Told you it was a biggie. So much so, in fact, that the pre-order window for Kill Team: Octarius is set to run for two weeks from the 14th to the 28th of August. Fancy a closer look at what’s coming? Of course you do."

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
My first tabletop game of any sort played since 2019 finally happened. A game of Warhammer Underworlds in that format where any cards can be used but Objective Deck is increased to 15 cards. Friend chose Mournflight while I took the Siggies from Dreadfane.

Both of us rolled like butt however the Banshees did sneaky stuff ruining my plans and getting gobs of Glory even though I did manage a kill.

My pathetic five.

He got... 11.

We did a few bits and bobs wrong here and there but generally it went smooth and the Banshee deck had good draws and solid synergy whereas mine not so much especially when he effectively teleported one across the board. It took around 90 odd minutes but first game and all. The third turn flew by so fast he wasn't aware it was last turn!

We both want to play again though it'll be with all my stuff since I'm the only person he could play against at the moment. (A place had the Direchasm box for 40 but the bands don't interest me and I got the boards and rules from it for like 10 bux. He does like the High Elves from it especially since the leader has an Owl. If its there in a few weeks I might buy it anyhow and maybe paint em up for him as his Xmas present. The place had the Dark Elf box for 20 so I grabbed it if just for minis to use in OG Warhammer Quest)

Sure any tournament types probably would wreck my teams and their decks but I kinda doubt its a worry.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering - can anyone give me any advice on Amazon team composition (and general tactics), for Blood Bowl 2? Since after our current cup/season, my friends' league is gonna reset, so I'll change from my experienced Lizardman team to Amazons.

So, firstly, it really seems like a reroll-heavy team, seeing as they're all dodgy and squishy. So, should I be aiming for what, 3? 4? rerolls at the start? I'm also not sure about catchers/throwers. I'm torn between two catchers and one thrower, or two throwers and no catchers - instead relying on my blitzers and lineys to catch the ball if/when needed.

As far as tactics go, I'm not sure really. I guess just try and avoid outright brawls against tough opponents and instead try to gang-up on key players, dodging away from others to avoid non-blitz retaliation. Hard to say though - I could be looking at this the wrong way, entirely!

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just wondering - can anyone give me any advice on Amazon team composition (and general tactics), for Blood Bowl 2? Since after our current cup/season, my friends' league is gonna reset, so I'll change from my experienced Lizardman team to Amazons.

So, firstly, it really seems like a reroll-heavy team, seeing as they're all dodgy and squishy. So, should I be aiming for what, 3? 4? rerolls at the start? I'm also not sure about catchers/throwers. I'm torn between two catchers and one thrower, or two throwers and no catchers - instead relying on my blitzers and lineys to catch the ball if/when needed.

As far as tactics go, I'm not sure really. I guess just try and avoid outright brawls against tough opponents and instead try to gang-up on key players, dodging away from others to avoid non-blitz retaliation. Hard to say though - I could be looking at this the wrong way, entirely!

You can afford 4 blitzers, 1 thrower, 1 catcher, and 5 linewomen to start. Round off with 4 rerolls and an apothecary and you'll be good to go. Amazons are hilariously overpowered in the early game (but stay away from dwarves) and tend to play a 2-1 grind unless you get unlucky and lose a few ladies early on. On defense I tend to play cautiously against bash teams and more aggressively against agility teams. I think their biggest disadvantage is their across-the-board MA 6.

Well, that's for the video game. If you mean Blood Bowl 2020, you'll have to drop a reroll or a positional (I would still take the apo, you want your blitzers healthy).

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

E. Nesbit posted:

You can afford 4 blitzers, 1 thrower, 1 catcher, and 5 linewomen to start. Round off with 4 rerolls and an apothecary and you'll be good to go. Amazons are hilariously overpowered in the early game (but stay away from dwarves) and tend to play a 2-1 grind unless you get unlucky and lose a few ladies early on. On defense I tend to play cautiously against bash teams and more aggressively against agility teams. I think their biggest disadvantage is their across-the-board MA 6.

Well, that's for the video game. If you mean Blood Bowl 2020, you'll have to drop a reroll or a positional (I would still take the apo, you want your blitzers healthy).

OK cool, thanks for that! That's pretty in-line with what I was thinking, so it's good to hear that I'm on the right track, in that regard. Out of curiosity though, when you're defending, what do you do with your catcher and thrower? Keep the thrower back and put the catcher in on a flank to beat people up like another liney, or?

Also, regarding playing defensively against bashy teams, how much dodging should I be doing, would you say? (Hard question I know, since it depends on the scenario) Like, once I've done my critical rolls and high success rate attacks, do you think I should roll the die to disengage a few players here and there and minimise potential attacks directed at me?

Finally, skills. I forgot to ask this before. I'm thinking maybe getting mighty blow for my blitzers might be alright? That way I can block if needed, then hopefully when I score pows with them, they can take opponents out of action ASAP and hopefully reduce the opposing player count to a more manageable number. Not sure if that's smart though, or if I should be getting something else like guard, or something.
I assume I should get sure feet on my catcher too, to let them get some more distance? That or maybe sidestep, to go alongside dodge, so they're trickier to pin down.
No idea about the linewomen and thrower. Maybe sure hands on the thrower (since that helps with picking it up, right? Their built-in skill is a throw reroll that doesn't impact picking it up to begin with, right?), but I'm not certain on the linewomen. Maybe they should be the ones with guard, and pair up with blitzers who have mighty blow? That way they can just help assist the blitzers deliver pain on tough guys, and perform attacks directly only when it's feasible.

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.

Major Isoor posted:

OK cool, thanks for that! That's pretty in-line with what I was thinking, so it's good to hear that I'm on the right track, in that regard. Out of curiosity though, when you're defending, what do you do with your catcher and thrower? Keep the thrower back and put the catcher in on a flank to beat people up like another liney, or?

Also, regarding playing defensively against bashy teams, how much dodging should I be doing, would you say? (Hard question I know, since it depends on the scenario) Like, once I've done my critical rolls and high success rate attacks, do you think I should roll the die to disengage a few players here and there and minimise potential attacks directed at me?

Finally, skills. I forgot to ask this before. I'm thinking maybe getting mighty blow for my blitzers might be alright? That way I can block if needed, then hopefully when I score pows with them, they can take opponents out of action ASAP and hopefully reduce the opposing player count to a more manageable number. Not sure if that's smart though, or if I should be getting something else like guard, or something.
I assume I should get sure feet on my catcher too, to let them get some more distance? That or maybe sidestep, to go alongside dodge, so they're trickier to pin down.
No idea about the linewomen and thrower. Maybe sure hands on the thrower (since that helps with picking it up, right? Their built-in skill is a throw reroll that doesn't impact picking it up to begin with, right?), but I'm not certain on the linewomen. Maybe they should be the ones with guard, and pair up with blitzers who have mighty blow? That way they can just help assist the blitzers deliver pain on tough guys, and perform attacks directly only when it's feasible.

You're basically on the right track. As far as cage strategy goes I would pick up with the thrower and cage around her, then set up my other players in screen formations (in a line 2 squares apart) to make moving near the cage more expensive or cost your opponent their blitz. Your catcher should take any opportunity to get behind the enemy line. While this puts her at risk, it'll make your opponent nervous, and he'll be sure to mark her with one or two players. You want this, because that means less opposition when you move your cage forward.

On defense treat your catcher and thrower as linewomen you don't want to die. I can't emphasize this enough: do not engage in base contact unless you're trying to break a cage or have a line on the ball carrier. Use a double screen if you can (two players in columns, flanked by another two players in columns two rows away). Some players will just engage right away and do fine, because universal dodge skill at TV 1000 makes your ladies super safe, and yet, dice happen. I prefer to play it safer. Against agility teams consider placing a blitzer in mid backfield as a safety.

Dodging. Consider that the dodge skill is also a defensive skill, and that if your player is marking an opponent who you'd rather not move it might just be better to leave her there. A single orc lineman blocking a single amazon lineman has a 1 in 6 chance of knocking her down without causing a turnover. Just leave her there. If you're thinking of dodging away, consider your cage and its advancement. You'll probably need to make a few, but realize that AG 3 dodge with a reroll is a 1/9 chance of failure.

Skills. Guard on your blitzers is key. I would take guard on any linewomen who roll doubles (even over a ST upgrade) and probably a catcher too. Third blitzer to skill gets mighty blow, next lady gets guard. Thrower and catcher get block next, your linewomen get wrestle to open holes. After that sidestep for catchers, sure hands for throwers, stand firm for blitzers (or piling on for your killer). Fend is a good choice for linewomen, as it gives them one less dodge roll to either support your cage or get to the screen.

Expect to get heavily wrecked once the other teams hit 1600 or so and get a lot of tackle. Don't be afraid to run with a roster of 14-15 at that point level, a lot of your girls will be MNG at this point.

Good luck!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

E. Nesbit posted:

You're basically on the right track. As far as cage strategy goes I would pick up with the thrower and cage around her, then set up my other players in screen formations (in a line 2 squares apart) to make moving near the cage more expensive or cost your opponent their blitz. Your catcher should take any opportunity to get behind the enemy line. While this puts her at risk, it'll make your opponent nervous, and he'll be sure to mark her with one or two players. You want this, because that means less opposition when you move your cage forward.

On defense treat your catcher and thrower as linewomen you don't want to die. I can't emphasize this enough: do not engage in base contact unless you're trying to break a cage or have a line on the ball carrier. Use a double screen if you can (two players in columns, flanked by another two players in columns two rows away). Some players will just engage right away and do fine, because universal dodge skill at TV 1000 makes your ladies super safe, and yet, dice happen. I prefer to play it safer. Against agility teams consider placing a blitzer in mid backfield as a safety.

Dodging. Consider that the dodge skill is also a defensive skill, and that if your player is marking an opponent who you'd rather not move it might just be better to leave her there. A single orc lineman blocking a single amazon lineman has a 1 in 6 chance of knocking her down without causing a turnover. Just leave her there. If you're thinking of dodging away, consider your cage and its advancement. You'll probably need to make a few, but realize that AG 3 dodge with a reroll is a 1/9 chance of failure.

Skills. Guard on your blitzers is key. I would take guard on any linewomen who roll doubles (even over a ST upgrade) and probably a catcher too. Third blitzer to skill gets mighty blow, next lady gets guard. Thrower and catcher get block next, your linewomen get wrestle to open holes. After that sidestep for catchers, sure hands for throwers, stand firm for blitzers (or piling on for your killer). Fend is a good choice for linewomen, as it gives them one less dodge roll to either support your cage or get to the screen.

Expect to get heavily wrecked once the other teams hit 1600 or so and get a lot of tackle. Don't be afraid to run with a roster of 14-15 at that point level, a lot of your girls will be MNG at this point.

Good luck!

Good stuff, thanks for that! We'll see how it goes. I'll have to post an update once the new round/teams fire off - hopefully I'll be able to smash out a few of those 2-1 wins you mentioned earlier :D

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
It's worth noting that BB2 Amazons aren't particularly intense on rerolls. They have 4 players with Block starting out and aren't inclined towards fancy plays, so the only risky moves you'll be making with regularity are dodges, which your players already reroll innately. You'll still want three to handle the usual stuff like GFIs, dubskulls, and the occasional handoff, but you don't need to get carried away with them.

I'd recommend taking a sub over the 4th reroll. It gives you a little insulation against AV 7, and having an extra body on the roster lets you be more flexible with stuff like fouling when you're the one dishing out the hurt.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

MeinPanzer posted:

Good point. Depressingly, I wanted to get my hands on the Crimson Court, but it sold out almost immediately everywhere I looked and I haven't seen it come back into stock since, so I might not even be able to get my hands on any new releases anyway :/

I just ordered one from the GW site (thanks for reminding me I wanted it), so you should be good.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

they just came back in stock today so get one while you can!

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I got two games in with the Soulraid last night at games club. My initial impressions are tempered by getting VERY lucky with dice so Tammiel (harpoon elf) basically matrix-dodged everything coming at him for the first game.

I kind of like them. Their damage can be consistent, especially on Turn 2 when they get a bevy of keywords, but they don't hit hard outside of it. The crab is actually a bit of a superstar - he has cleave and can get an upgrade to also get ensnare and grab people who wander next to him. Additionally, they can almost always get 1 support with canny Spinefin placement, and the opponent basically never wants to attack the Spinefin. The fish is also a good platform for any gambit that requires an adjacent fighter. You can basically turn it into a little landmine.

I think the main thing holding them back is their faction objectives suck. They have very weird tricky requirements, and their end-phase. They have some decent surges, but nothing crazy. They also have pretty low damage, so they need help killing elite warbands like anything Stormcast. I think they're just best run as straight aggro with a few positioning tricks and ignoring any of the discard cards nonsense, since that didn't help me very much.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

was there an embargo lifting for the KT Compendium today or did I imagine that

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

DLC Inc posted:

was there an embargo lifting for the KT Compendium today or did I imagine that

Tomorrow

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Actual play videos are coming out already, the game looks pretty drat good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnn9n1rboyE

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
How big is the board for KT?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Spanish Manlove posted:

How big is the board for KT?
I believe it's still 22"x30"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tabletop Minions posted a video about the KT Compendium and how limiting the team building mechanic is, and, uh, yikes.

https://youtu.be/mQwjIKPj5SM

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
If the teams are more limited i don't mind, it seems like upcoming releases will be more bespoke teams with weapon options and if that makes KT easier to get into I won't complain

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I’m mostly annoyed by the notion that I can only take 2 types of units per kill team, so I can’t have a Necron team with, say, a Flayed One melee dude, a Deathmark sniper, and an Immortal heavy gunner.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

Tabletop Minions posted a video about the KT Compendium and how limiting the team building mechanic is, and, uh, yikes.

Just saw the video; I thought it was funny that he had a very "not mad, just dissapointed" father vibe, until it semeed that he was actually mad. It seems KT right now is not great for current 40K players wanting to try that game, but could be good for new players using the Octarius teams or the ones that will be released over the next few months.

The cost of rulebook and compedium is BS, though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Xenomrph posted:

I’m mostly annoyed by the notion that I can only take 2 types of units per kill team, so I can’t have a Necron team with, say, a Flayed One melee dude, a Deathmark sniper, and an Immortal heavy gunner.

I get that, that is disappointing

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Welp, that is a disappointment. I've canceled my preorder of the books.

Maybe it'll be cool in like a year when a whole bunch of teams are out, but for now, no thanks.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah, I think I'm going to skip this Kill Team, that video plus the Goonhammer articles pushed me over. $153 buy in for the base game ($50 compendium, $50 rulebook, $35 for the barricades + measuring stick, $18 for the cards) is way too high. I don't really want either team in the core box, and $250 for that + the compendium is also just too high.

This also seems to be counter to the pitch of Kill Team being a lighter weight, easier to get into game than 40k. It's got to be a similar price to get an OK 500 point 9th edition setup compared to Kill Team at this point if you started with Octarius, and cheaper to start with 9th edition if you bought that $153 of stuff you need to get started separately, you don't even have any models at that point.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
He definitely has the disappointed dad Vibe as I listen to his video. That aside....I grabbed the pre-order. Between that set, the original Kill Team I still have in boxes and the Indomitus box....I got 6 teams to introduce people to the game and mini gaming in general. That's a win in my book

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
They made kill teams balanced around the exact contents of a box or two of basic infantry instead of the meta encouraging you to break open $50 squad boxes for a single mini and sourcing extra wargear from eBay and this is bad for reasons.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Der Waffle Mous posted:

They made kill teams balanced around the exact contents of a box or two of basic infantry instead of the meta encouraging you to break open $50 squad boxes for a single mini and sourcing extra wargear from eBay and this is bad for reasons.

The more I think about his complaints, the more that is how it seems.
OH NOES!!! My Space Marines don't have special abilities to compete with.......Imperial Guard? They NEED more options vs Space Marines to compete. While I am sure the later released boxes will give different factions more choices, like additional specialist, this doesn't bother me. My hope is that they playtest the upcoming little army boxes so they work with the IG and Orks and do not toss them by the wayside by opening up every option to factions/list that will break the game immediately. WIshful thinking most likely....but one can dream

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

In the Kill Team pre-order queue rn

Never thought I'd get a copy at all

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Geisladisk posted:

Welp, that is a disappointment. I've canceled my preorder of the books.

Maybe it'll be cool in like a year when a whole bunch of teams are out, but for now, no thanks.

I did the same thing. Was really looking forward to this until I watched his reviews this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I must confess as someone who gets choice paralysis a lot when I'm assembling my minis, having a more limited roster is quite appealing to me, actually.

Plus I have all the Series One Space Marine Heroes (that they sold outside of Japan) so knowing they're already more or less good to go as a kill team is good.