Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Some of the people playing this children's game are children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

But what about all the times Hop praised you for using a super effective attack?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Zuzie posted:

But what about all the times Hop praised you for using a super effective attack?

For how annoying it gets, I did find it cute that it's actually a shared family quote, since Leon does the exact same thing.
https://twitter.com/BlazeDragonET/status/1197909117802708993

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
I may be losing my mind, but did dynamax adventures recently change? I blew through every enemy without any of them generating a shield like they usually did. Is this new? Am I misremembering?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

The adventures never had shields. It's the best part imo

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

yeah the adventures make it an endurance match by doing more than one mon instead of by making you spend most of your time plinking moves off shields.

Incidentally this also makes status moves actually worth using.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Status moves barely make a difference. They remove an almost unnoticeable amount off the bar once a turn. And the boss of the raids will just undo them and reset all buffs and debuffs along with it the next time it gets an action.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Hrist posted:

Status moves barely make a difference. They remove an almost unnoticeable amount off the bar once a turn. And the boss of the raids will just undo them and reset all buffs and debuffs along with it the next time it gets an action.

Bosses can't do anything about stat-down moves used on them.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
When it says everything is reset, and it resets it's own status conditions, I assumed it also resets it's attack downs and ups or whatever too, and not just for the players. :shrug:

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
When it does the reset thing it gets rid of its own status effects and NEGATIVE stat penalties, while keeping positive buffs. Likewise it gets rid of you and your partners' buffs, but keeps the negative status stuff I believe.

Status effects and stat lowering moves are definitely still very useful, but only on the first turn or so, or right after the reset if it isn't close to fainting yet.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Huh, I could have sworn it didn't fix its own stats and completely reset yours, even if it clears its own conditions. I know in dens it doesn't fix its own stats.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
It is really cheap because afaict they just get to do it for free. It would be one thing if they forfeited one of their attacks to do it, but I don't think they do.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Pokemon/status/1426166956911218690

This might be important.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Let's see how legends looks now

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Ya that's the whole point of trailers, buddy

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
I'm (extremely) cautiously optimistic on Legends, give or take a few dozen misgivings, so I hope they really flesh out what's in that game and what else there is to see beyond one extremely large feudal japanese Hyrule Field, and what the main thrust of the story / gameplay will be. It needs its BotW 2017 trailer to move me from "huh, that's an interesting change" to "I really want to play this"

See improved performance would be nice too but I'm not holding my breath OF THE WILD on that.

On the BDSP side, I want to see that its not a pure 1:1 remake of the original. I'd be fine with that, I guess, I liked Gen 4 a lot, but ORAS and HGSS had their own identity and twists on the originals (FRLG a little less so, at least until the postgame Sevii isles), and I really want to see that for BDSP to really answer the question "why pay money for this when the original Platinum is right there on my shelf and still good"

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Remember the absolutely kickass Legendaries Trailer they did for SuMo a month or so prior to release? Legends needs its version of that trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL6QuYi3rpo

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Considering how much its been inspired by Breath of the Wild, it's probably far more likely that the marketing of Legends would have a subdued minimalistic approach.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Zuzie posted:

Considering how much its been inspired by Breath of the Wild, it's probably far more likely that the marketing of Legends would have a subdued minimalistic approach.

You're probably exactly right, but the 2017 BotW trailer was neither subdued nor minimal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw47_q9wbBE

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
It's kind of funny that gamefreaks big attempt to shake up the formula and innovate is to....just follow someone else's attempt to do the same.

Then again after playing my town story or whatever it was called maybe that's for the better.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
I would be really impressed if they took Pokemon in the new game (legends?) and allowed them to be ported to Sw/Sh. I doubt they will, but I think that'd be a cool way to update the roster.

Blaze Dragon posted:

For how annoying it gets, I did find it cute that it's actually a shared family quote, since Leon does the exact same thing.
https://twitter.com/BlazeDragonET/status/1197909117802708993

I was actually really impressed by this, I didn't think they'd have any quotes like that so late in the game.

Super No Vacancy posted:

yeah i don't have high hopes for it especially on the switch hardware. but it's still a false dichotomy to say you can have the full pokedex or you can have a good game. they should be able to do both, and have done both in the past, and they have more money than god. they should just assign the game dev to bamco and merge the gamefreak people there. or just buy bamco

The weirdest part is they already did the work for Sun/Moon & Pokemon GO. They're ALL modeled at high resolution! And they all have basic animations!

Agoat fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 13, 2021

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Agoat posted:

I would be really impressed if they took Pokemon in the new game (legends?) and allowed them to be ported to Sw/Sh. I doubt they will, but I think that'd be a cool way to update the roster.

Welcome back, Time Capsule.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I'm not expecting Legends to have a big Pokemon roster, considering how much work would be involved with animations in what appears to be real time combat. I'd expect like 250 monsters total, but some of them are completely new things that are usable in Legends alone.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Legends should merge different Pokemon with the implication that they later evolved into different species of Pokemon. It doesn't really make sense with how the games handle evolution but it'd be fun.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's kind of funny that gamefreaks big attempt to shake up the formula and innovate is to....just follow someone else's attempt to do the same.

Then again after playing my town story or whatever it was called maybe that's for the better.

I'm still convinced that "open world pokemon game" sort of has the same soundbite appeal as "pokemon MMO" while not necessarily being a particularly good idea in practice. Fingers crossed though.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
OK so hear me out: Pokemon World would have basically 8 stories and when you finish one you'd get to be invited to a different region. But because the pokemon you'd be carrying with you would be an invasive species trainers aren't allowed to just carry them across borders. Of course the regional champion can, so when you go back you have pokemon from a previous region. So you basically have to start for scratch every time and the game finally achieves what most pokemon games couldn't: Actually cycling pokemon in/out of your team.

There's an over-arching world domination plot and the final final elite four is level 90. previous world wide champion 95, and secret final rival 99.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Hammerite posted:

It is really cheap because afaict they just get to do it for free. It would be one thing if they forfeited one of their attacks to do it, but I don't think they do.

I think they actually do but I haven't counted in a while. But it is a pain.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

OK so hear me out: Pokemon World would have basically 8 stories and when you finish one you'd get to be invited to a different region. But because the pokemon you'd be carrying with you would be an invasive species trainers aren't allowed to just carry them across borders. Of course the regional champion can, so when you go back you have pokemon from a previous region. So you basically have to start for scratch every time and the game finally achieves what most pokemon games couldn't: Actually cycling pokemon in/out of your team.

There's an over-arching world domination plot and the final final elite four is level 90. previous world wide champion 95, and secret final rival 99.

They should just make 1 good pokemon game with a good setting and good writing again and a detailed world that the plot actually uses and maybe a combat gimmick that isn't dogshit.

Bring back locations that are bigger than 1 screen.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Aug 14, 2021

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

They should just make 1 good pokemon game with a good setting and good writing again and a detailed world that the plot actually uses and maybe a combat gimmick that isn't dogshit.

Yes, I would like B/W with Megas. :hmmyes:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Neo_Crimson posted:

Yes, I would like B/W with Megas. :hmmyes:

Yeah basically all I want too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Masuda posted:

No

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I saw someone use the gen 4 sprites over the 3D areas in BDSP and now I’m mad we’re not getting a Pokémon Octopath

I have zero bar to set for Legends so I’m curious to see what comes out in the trailer

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

I know it sucks still tho.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Carlosologist posted:

I saw someone use the gen 4 sprites over the 3D areas in BDSP and now I’m mad we’re not getting a Pokémon Octopath

I never knew I wanted this until now, but holy poo poo yes please! :stwoon:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

It would look way better, agreed.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

As nice as the idea of a mashup of the entire series in one game would be to hardcore fans at least, I honestly don't think it'll ever be a thing, especially when its rather clear that Game Freak would rather make an installment that's easy to digest for new players, casual fans and people who don't have as much free time as they used to have, and that means a shorter more streamlined title.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

HootTheOwl posted:

Sword/Shield forcing Exp Share and giving you box access everywhere does a ton to support and encourage Pokemon cycling, the level curve is really nice with around 9 Pokemon rolling in/out of your team.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Gimme some legitimately challenging endgame dungeons. Even the stupid dynamax adventure bullshit would at least be interesting if it gave me a meaningful endgame for my fully leveled mons, instead of the rental bullshit.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I never knew I wanted this until now, but holy poo poo yes please! :stwoon:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/co...utm_name=iossmf

This is where I saw it and lost my mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"