Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Al-Saqr posted:

I genuinely wonder what George W Bush thinks about the Taliban winning in the end but something tells me he genuinely doesnt give a poo poo one way or another.

im_rich_bitch.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

Al-Saqr posted:

I genuinely wonder what George W Bush thinks about the Taliban winning in the end but something tells me he genuinely doesnt give a poo poo one way or another.

he is going to spend the rest of his life smugly convinced that he had it in the bag and that it was the presidents after him who screwed it up and it makes me so loving mad

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

StashAugustine posted:

everyone's the bad guys, the Taliban are just the more competent bad guys

Given how ungovernable the country is there's a pretty good chance most people's lives in Afghanistan won't change

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What's the appeal of the Taliban for its members? Seems like a quite unpleasant group to throw your lot in with.

I mean have you seen the other guys.

Nobody wants do die for some rich kids who looting bags of dollars from the country on their way out

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
https://twitter.com/Natsecjeff/status/1426563100245954563?s=20

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Al-Saqr posted:

Most likely made a call to his accountant to make sure the hedge fund won't lose any potential.
Then a call or two to defense contractors to make sure his payments won't be affected.

The fucker wanted you to watch his golf swing while soldier guts were spilling out, right now he has more interest if the house chef remembers not to put a pickle in his club sandwich.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

fits my needs posted:

wonder how many dudes obungler droned that were in their early 20s

Hard to say he usually didn't like hitting targets that old

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
A man who shuns pickles is truly a monster

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

wait, the taliban aren’t the bad guys?

They are the Narn.
Making the US the Centauri.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

What's the appeal of the Taliban for its members? Seems like a quite unpleasant group to throw your lot in with.
You’ve grown up seeing your country humiliated by foreigners and compradors and here’s the one group that’s been able to do anything about it

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/RichardHaass/status/1426133609212219396

president of foreign policy thinktank: "forever war is good, actually. very sustainable."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jel Shaker posted:

hmm so you don’t have to fire the entire civil service and municipal workers after an invasion? probably should have told someone that after iraq fell

Taliban seem to have a better idea of nation building than the hundreds of State Department nerds and Beltway think tanks...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Also how is the US even have any sort of moral high ground to talk about human rights given the laundry list of war crimes
such as creating death squads, drone strikes on weddings and SEAL force chuds mutilating / trophy taking rituals on dead soldiers?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Sad Billionaire posted:

lol that 99% of americans will place the blame on the people who decided 20 years was long enough and not on the people who had 20 years to build up Afghanistan and spent that time leeching their economy and bankrolling death squads

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

etalian posted:

Also how is the US even have any sort of moral high ground to talk about human rights given the laundry list of war crimes
such as creating death squads, drone strikes on weddings and SEAL force chuds mutilating / trophy taking rituals on dead soldiers?

Muh "If we never did bad X, somebody else would have did worse Y" energy

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

https://www.msf.org/kunduz-hospital-attack-depth

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Palladium posted:

Muh "If we never did bad X, somebody else would have did worse Y" energy

I'm lolling at NPR whining over China getting more influence in Afghanistan.

Another Comrade Xi success story of using soft power and credibility instead of getting involved in costly military wars?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lol i bet you a million bucks that most of these Young Hip Afghans are actually rich kids born and/or raised in the west who moved there post-invasion because their parents had networking connections with the DoD or something

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

etalian posted:

Another Comrade Xi success story of using soft power and credibility instead of getting involved in costly military wars?

NPR has been so aggressive about Afghanistan stories. NO ONE CARES

Washington Post had two stories about it yesterday and the top stories tracker was all Covid. No one gives a poo poo about the drat war we "lost" 19 years ago.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

yellowcar posted:

lol i bet you a million bucks that most of these Young Hip Afghans are actually rich kids born and/or raised in the west who moved there post-invasion because their parents had networking connections with the DoD or something

Show me on this doll where Castro touched your big family plantation

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

etalian posted:

Still loling that America spent over a trillion in Iraq and China just won the most oil contracts by doing nothing.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
War is over, (taliban) troops are staying

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
please, my family's reclaimed wood non alcoholic barcade...

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Still loling that America spent over a trillion in Iraq and China just won the most oil contracts by doing nothing.

It's a hilarious real world case study in soft power and also how China got many big concessions without having to sucked into nation building quagmires.

they are taking the same approach now, cutting deals with the winning side (Central government is screwed) plus promises benefits to go along with the diplomatic recognition.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

etalian posted:

Taliban seem to have a better idea of nation building than the hundreds of State Department nerds and Beltway think tanks...

The State department and think tanks didn't want to build a nation.
They wanted the money to be got asap.
In Iraq, they rushed to protect the oil fields, and department of oil to protect the records of oil.
They ignored the hospitals, the museums, everything else as it couldn't be used for a quick buck or stock point increase.
You don't allow mass looting to happen in the first few days of any invasion, you tell people to stay the gently caress indoors.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DesertIslandHermit posted:

In a surprise reveal, store owners said they prefer honest paying customers over thugs that rob them with expensive guns.

More breaking news at 11 where we will report on how water is wet

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

happyhippy posted:

The State department and think tanks didn't want to build a nation.
They wanted the money to be got asap.
In Iraq, they rushed to protect the oil fields, and department of oil to protect the records of oil.
They ignored the hospitals, the museums, everything else as it couldn't be used for a quick buck or stock point increase.
You don't allow mass looting to happen in the first few days of any invasion, you tell people to stay the gently caress indoors.

nation building with Wall Street characteristics

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

In 15-20 years America will be to China what Russia is to the US now, a runt former power that is only scary because of its nukes

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
The Taliban can now operate Military Choppers:-

https://twitter.com/Natsecjeff/status/1426576216912535560?s=20

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

yellowcar posted:

One of the main reasons I got out of international NGO work was dilettante grandchildren of big chiefs parlaying the family wealth that somehow survived displacement into being the face of people actually suffering while living in luxury accomodations.

gently caress you Fadi, I hope Fattah kills you.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

LMFAO we hooked them up with an air force

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

go for a stroll posted:

please, my family's reclaimed wood non alcoholic barcade...

me and my gigantic enlightened western educated brain: time to show my fellow people of my homeland of afghanistan the wonderful world of progressive patreon-funded start ups and indie game studios run by goth furries

*has lived in Chicago until age 24*

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

If they manage jets, I'm going to laugh forever.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nothing like winning at everything the other side ended up as loser:

Thank you Comrade Xi

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Justin Tyme posted:

In 15-20 years America will be to China what Russia is to the US now, a runt former power that is only scary because of its nukes

Can't wait for chapo prediction of a USA balkanized by where the nuke silos are comes true. Dakota silos, please ally with the great lakes soviet in the coming climate wars.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
The Mouse that Roared remake took a dark turn.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

*in a heavy american accented pashto* : i'm afraid of what may come for me and my manga café

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

they’re learning…my god…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

One of the main reasons I got out of international NGO work was dilettante grandchildren of big chiefs parlaying the family wealth that somehow survived displacement into being the face of people actually suffering while living in luxury accomodations.
oppa paghman style