Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

wearing a lampshade posted:

whats a good way to identify whats responsible for crashing? i found the logs in programdata but its kinda hard to parse

The BetterExceptionWindow mod helped me debug what mods were crashing things. I never did find decent logs although there were some logging mode options that could be enabled in the mod options for some. The logs were put in the user_name/bannerlord/logs/mods.... (something like that) folder on windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
The game is in a pretty good state right now compared to initial early access. Lots of QoL features and most of everything works. They fixed pathing in sieges which was my main hang up for playing previously.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

TropicalCoke posted:

They fixed pathing in sieges which was my main hang up for playing previously.

is this true? havent played in a bit

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I haven't tried it myself but here's a reddit post where the poster talks about siege AI in the latest build:

https://reddit.com/r/mountandblade/comments/ox22yo/161_patch_is_the_first_proper_siege_update_and/

quote:

Patch 1.6.1 (beta branch) doesn't seem to big in terms of an update, but I feel like for sieges, this is the first proper update for them. Maybe there is some more work under the hood not shown on the patch notes or the "small" fixes they have done generally have helped the AI to work so much more efficiently.
First of all, ladders work 80-90% of the time now. As you can see on the 4th picture, the AI had this issue where only very briefly, it could use 4 ladders to the maximum capacity. Then it kinda switched from ladder to ladder, which one was the problematic, although the left most ones worked at full capacity 95% of the time. It seems to still be map based, as somewhere I had worse results and somewhere I had near perfect results. For tower lovers, they still work like crap so just pretend they dont exist.
But biggest improvement for me, was the defending AI. Which is weird, as the patch notes for neither 1.6 or 1.6.1 haven't mentioned anything that would explain it. But from my experience, relative to my others testing throughout the this Early Access, 1.6.1 have shown the biggest amount of improvement. Mainly the defending archers. It feels as if they are using the castle to it's advantage. Like for example, in Ain Baliq castle, there is that long road up, for the attackers to bring their rams. Previously I always felt that the AI really didn't shower you with arrows as you came up with rams and towers and such. Now, if the castle supports such deadly zones, the AI will use it to decimate your infantry. Because of this, just because you get your rams to the gate and have destroyed the gates, doesn't mean jack poo poo.
From my testing, all my +200-270 defenders vs 500 attackers lead to the defenders be able to hold the gate and then move to defeat any enemies on the walls if they walls had been lost. For reference, I can't remember a single battle before 1.6.1 where the defenders would have won at such odds. I did one battle with around ~150 defenders and 500 attackers, in which the attackers were able to overcome the gate force quite easily and move to destroy anyone else left. Because of the stronger defence of the gates (AI also properly having archers and boulders thrown down in the killbox), sieges haven't been won even if the enemy has lost their ladder defences. If the enemy is able to hold the gates, they can move to defend the rest of the walls and have the battles come to the very last few men, making the battles ever so more immersive and butt clenching.
Important to note that this is without "min-maxer" level of player intervention. I'm sure you min-maxers will still kill 500 defenders alone, but for anyone wanting more immersive gameplay (sieges in this case), this is showing some light as to what Bannerlord has the capacity for.
(Testings were done in custom battles, which won't also activate keep battles)

there's also an imgur album at the link

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

They're still pretty bad at climbing ladders though. Both regular and siege tower

edit: disregard that I guess, I don't play the beta

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

downout posted:

The BetterExceptionWindow mod helped me debug what mods were crashing things. I never did find decent logs although there were some logging mode options that could be enabled in the mod options for some. The logs were put in the user_name/bannerlord/logs/mods.... (something like that) folder on windows.

thanks for the tip. turned on logging for kaos tweaks, and this line shows up a billion times
code:
[MCM.Implementation.Settings.Providers.DefaultSettingsProvider] [VRB]: GetSettings KaosesTweaks returned KaosesTweaks.Settings.MCMSettings
looked at the nexus page, i guess the 1.6 version that's up there was for an early version of the beta. so i guess i gotta figure out which tweak(s) are messing my poo poo up

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How necessary is an SSD for this game?

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

The horse combat in this game feels so good compared to warband imho, they really nailed it with that. I will be honest though after doing a few legit runs my favourite thing to do now is just cheat myself to being a lot more survivable and just single handedly taking down armies 4 times my size.

If this were a strategy game I'd basically be doing the attack move technique we all know and love.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

I think bannerlord isn't quite in that group of games where it's "ssd or don't bother" but it's real close.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I urge anyone using a platter drive to upgrade. It's been years since SSDs became very affordable.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

update on my crashes. set "force v-sync in menus" to off. no more crashes.

e: nevermind! :negative: at least its less often now

wearing a lampshade fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Aug 14, 2021

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

StashAugustine posted:

I consider an SSD necessary for a PC at this point. But this game specifically has long load times even on SSD so on a spinning disk it's probably pretty intolerable.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

1tb is less than $100 these days. Just buy one and let’s not have this discussion ever again.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the necessary response to that question is just a blanket Yes at this point. Even if it's not true, it's for their own damned good.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

How necessary is a NVMe for this game?

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Flavahbeast posted:

How necessary is a NVMe for this game?

I have a standard SSD only no issues

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

How do you get your fians into 2 independent lines like that?

BMan posted:

Press F3 F5, then split half of them into an unused formation

loving what? This is amazing!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Hey a merc is in my town, let's see if I can h-
:stonklol:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
The 1.6.1 pathing is better, but they can still get stuck at times.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

BMan posted:

Just so that you know that you're not an outlier with this problem: I'm getting that in my game, too.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Gimmick Account posted:

Just so that you know that you're not an outlier with this problem: I'm getting that in my game, too.

problem?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Holy poo poo I unlocked all the smithing parts legitimately, I never thought this day would come (the mod helps a lot)

downout
Jul 6, 2009

BMan posted:

Holy poo poo I unlocked all the smithing parts legitimately, I never thought this day would come (the mod helps a lot)

Is legitimate when using a mod? Vanilla is probably near impossible anyway

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

my mod is objectively a feature that should be in the base game, so yes :colbert:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

BMan posted:

"There is... something I'd like to discuss."

Come to think of it, I've seen one or two female empire nobles spawn on the battlefield in that gear, with no horse or weapons. The glitch is spreading....

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
For some reason, block detection just doesn't work during sieges. Pretty annoying.

The game really needs a "restart battle" button.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

new big dev blog post talking about planned features:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/261550/announcements/detail/4509778749610642533

of interest:

quote:

Finally, later down the line (and possibly after the full release of the game), we intend to share custom server files to allow you to host your own multiplayer game servers.

Also

quote:

Order of Battle
While the Mount & Blade series has always emphasised fighting alongside and commanding your troops from within the thick of the battle, nothing speaks against establishing some order before you clash with your enemies!

This feature will allow you to assign troops and heroes to formations, as well as, give them orders and position them during the deployment phase for both battles and sieges.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 17, 2021

bltzn
Oct 26, 2020

For the record I do not have a foot fetish.
Glad to hear pre battle formations are still on the table. Hope they add the ability to save presets as well.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

StashAugustine posted:

You're asking this in 2021.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

BMan posted:

Well, I sure as hell wouldn't gently caress with him (her?). Hire them!

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
So I've been playing in mostly Sandbox mode (and probably will continue to do so until they make the main quest waaay less annoying) and I have to say, starting off is rough. The looters and bandits are far too numerous at the start of the game, especially when you are moving from town to town to city just trying to build a party. I always prefer to play ironman mode, but the beginning is just too punishing without a bit of save scumming after a 15 stack of bandits ambush me and my three recruits out of nowhere over and over again. Once I have 20ish dudes it's pretty much smooth sailing for the rest of the playthrough, but first I have to get there without going broke from being captured and having to rebuild again.

Is there anything I'm missing regarding this? I would prefer not to have to lower the difficulty too much, I have the normal combat AI and no death enabled, but aside from that everything is on realistic. Not completely opposed to using a mod either if others are having this issue...

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Dont think ive been on realistic, but usually a good idea to pick riding + bow backgrounds during character creation. Or riding + spear. A fast horse goes a long way to soloing looters.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

As long as you have a horse and range, you can constantly stay out of the range of looters in the fight, kill a few, then retreat to rearm.

After you become geared and skilled, killing 20 looters solo is no problem.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013
Their armour piercing rocks are still a danger on occasion. I'm ashamed to admit how often I get domed by looters because I thought I could charge in and slaughter them solo when my horse and I are fully armoured.

One random pitchfork and suddenly I'm copping heat from everyone.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

This is why throwing weapons are superior.

Grab 3 and then a shield.

You will block a lot of rocks with your shield out non stop.

Then hit X and stab them with your jav.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

BMan posted:

Is that Lord Farquaad?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

trapped mouse posted:

So I've been playing in mostly Sandbox mode (and probably will continue to do so until they make the main quest waaay less annoying) and I have to say, starting off is rough.

Looters can throw rocks like Balearic slingers, it's wild. I would ride circles around the group until they exhausted their rocks, then pick them apart slowly. But I never played on realistic.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
First few fights are tricky. The way I do it is to have my recruits hold position, then ride up to harass the looters so that they spread out. Then have your dudes charge once a few looters are close by, and ride back to help them. Hopefully your recruits have local superiority so you win even though it's 2:1 against you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Enjoy posted:

First few fights are tricky. The way I do it is to have my recruits hold position, then ride up to harass the looters so that they spread out. Then have your dudes charge once a few looters are close by, and ride back to help them. Hopefully your recruits have local superiority so you win even though it's 2:1 against you.

This is pretty similar to what I try if fighting early. A column/line approaching a couple of recruits will allow the recruits to outnumber them and fight vs 1 or 2 looters at a time.

Related, your speed starting out solo is really fast with one mount. Some solo initial trading can get enough money to afford horses and then only get more recruits to increase the number of horses. Getting a mix of pack and non-pack horses can keep the part speed up above 5 and faster than looters.