Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lester Shy posted:

All things being equal, is it better to give the steaks a 10 minute rest in the fridge or let them cool down completely before searing?

I’ve been using an ice bath for a couple of minutes before unbagging lately and I really like the results. It’s less about letting the meat rest and more about keeping the sear from cooking the inside any further, and it’s great if you like a steak with a slightly cold center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

MrYenko posted:

Especially if your machine isn’t exactly precise. If you set 135° and it goes to 136.5°, you’re hosed.

136.5? Your house will literally explode

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Dewgy posted:

I’ve been using an ice bath for a couple of minutes before unbagging lately and I really like the results. It’s less about letting the meat rest and more about keeping the sear from cooking the inside any further, and it’s great if you like a steak with a slightly cold center.

Who likes a slightly cold center? :zombie:

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

~2” thick beef tenderloin, 128 degrees at ~2hrs.. then a hot cast iron sear ~30 seconds / side. I only pat down the outside, no ice bath rest or anything.

Oh and garlic mushrooms with asparagus doesn’t hurt.

Thrasher fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Aug 12, 2021

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Thrasher posted:

~2” thick beef tenderloin, 128 degrees at ~2hrs.. then a hot cast iron sear ~30 seconds / side. I only pat down the outside, no ice bath rest or anything.

Oh and garlic mushrooms with asparagus doesn’t hurt.

Looks pretty delicious. Did you sous vide the mushrooms and asparagus? I don’t usually sous vide veggies but I’ve always been curious if it would be worth the extra effort.

I sous vided some striploins the other night and they were the best steaks I’ve ever made, and my wife and I both agreed my steaks are better than any steakhouse we could go to. The sous vide controller really makes that possible, I don’t know if I can go back to simply grilling steaks. These things weren’t wagyu but they were almost marbled like wagyu and they were full of flavor.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

life is killing me posted:

Looks pretty delicious. Did you sous vide the mushrooms and asparagus? I don’t usually sous vide veggies but I’ve always been curious if it would be worth the extra effort.

No I didn’t sous vide the veggies. I usually don’t as I find it’s better to just pan fry most that I eat.. I will occasionally sous vide carrots as they can be pretty good, and I have yet to try sous vide potatoes.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I never really saw the point in sous viding things that don't either require extra tenderization (e.g. ribs, tougher cuts of meat) or benefit from light cooking of the interior before searing (e.g. beef or tuna steaks).
I see lots of people stalking about doing like potatoes or soft-boiled eggs sous vide and it just seems like adding needless extra time and effort to something that's already quick and easy to do really well.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Entropic posted:

I never really saw the point in sous viding things that don't either require extra tenderization (e.g. ribs, tougher cuts of meat) or benefit from light cooking of the interior before searing (e.g. beef or tuna steaks).
I see lots of people stalking about doing like potatoes or soft-boiled eggs sous vide and it just seems like adding needless extra time and effort to something that's already quick and easy to do really well.

If you have a very precise device, eggs are the bomb. The proteins coagulating and different temps will leave you with incredible results. Unless your water fluctuates a little above and then why not just toss them in and steam them? Precision ovens that can keep that lower temp would be amazing for eggs too.

But completely with you on potatoes or asparagus, etc. Even carrots aren't really necessary, mostly because you can't do them at the same temp as you're doing your steak and poaching them takes all of 20-30 minutes.

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Jhet posted:

If you have a very precise device, eggs are the bomb. The proteins coagulating and different temps will leave you with incredible results. Unless your water fluctuates a little above and then why not just toss them in and steam them? Precision ovens that can keep that lower temp would be amazing for eggs too.

I read up on sous vide eggs a while back and the consensus seemed to be that timed boiling is better. The reason being you want the white to cook at a different doneness/temperature than the yolk, so you’re relying on a gradient cook. This obviously depends on preference and application, but I’m referencing more towards soft boiled eggs. There was talk about dropping a sous vide egg into boiling water at the end to help solidify the whites but you get the same result with the burden of an extra step.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mls posted:

I read up on sous vide eggs a while back and the consensus seemed to be that timed boiling is better. The reason being you want the white to cook at a different doneness/temperature than the yolk, so you’re relying on a gradient cook. This obviously depends on preference and application, but I’m referencing more towards soft boiled eggs. There was talk about dropping a sous vide egg into boiling water at the end to help solidify the whites but you get the same result with the burden of an extra step.

Oh, yeah, you're right. I was mixing up the temps required for white and yolks setting and had them backward.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I just put an egg in boiling water for 8.5 minutes and it’s done the way I like it.

One thing I did sous vide recently that turned out quite well was tandoori chicken. Vacuum sealed some whole legs with the marinade, kept it in the fridge overnight, then popped in the bath for a few hours before finishing under the broiler for some crispy skin.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

the egg bites recipe in the joule app is the poo poo. one of those moments when it's like "whoa I actually made this"

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

the egg bites recipe in the joule app is the poo poo. one of those moments when it's like "whoa I actually made this"

Been meaning to try that recipe.

Entropic posted:

I just put an egg in boiling water for 8.5 minutes and it’s done the way I like it.

One thing I did sous vide recently that turned out quite well was tandoori chicken. Vacuum sealed some whole legs with the marinade, kept it in the fridge overnight, then popped in the bath for a few hours before finishing under the broiler for some crispy skin.

gently caress. That sounds delicious. I’m imagining how that would just fall apart, especially if you put it with tikka masala.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

life is killing me posted:

These things weren’t wagyu but they were almost marbled like wagyu and they were full of flavor.

This spring I picked up a few prime and a couple wagyu and did a taste test after puddle/sear. There was a LOT more flavor in the prime, and the wagyu was only slightly more tender. Not remotely worth the upcharge, IMHO. Flavor>Tenderness.

Entropic posted:

Don't forget chicken breasts.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hasselblad posted:

Don't forget chicken breasts.

Yeah, consistent done-ness and logistics can be a good reason. I've done this on a few NYE parties. Chicken breasts with skin, do them the day before, cool and refrigerate. Then at the party they just needed a few minutes under the broiler to crisp the skin and heat up to a palatable temp.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe
Is the reccomendation for vacuum sealers still just buy a cheap one? My 7 year old no-name one just died.

Trying to navigate Amazon is a nightmare of non-descript brands I've never heard of.

Will mostly be using it for SV, but also for portioning out bulk meats.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just go with whatever Foodsaver is on sale

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I'd get whatever cheap FOTM sealer all the blogs recommend. Unless you're willing to drop coin on a Vacmaster or Weston, there's not much difference with the cheaper sealers (Foodsaver included)

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe
Cheapo one it is then. I figured that was the best route. After all, my last one was <$40 and lasted 6-7 years.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Cheap is good but I at least recommend getting something with a dedicated “seal” button, and a lever lock to keep the hinge shut has been pretty handy too in my experience.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I have this one and it works great.

I've used used it for sealing up dehydrated food for camping and it works great for that.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
I strongly recommend getting one of the ones you sort of flip open and close. DON'T get the kind that just has a slot and 'automatically' clamps the bag when it's in there. It sucks and I hate it.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

:rimshot:

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Sportman posted:

Is the reccomendation for vacuum sealers still just buy a cheap one? My 7 year old no-name one just died.

Trying to navigate Amazon is a nightmare of non-descript brands I've never heard of.

Will mostly be using it for SV, but also for portioning out bulk meats.

Vacmaster from webstaurant store. Thank me later after you take some ibuprofen for your back after lifting it to where it will live prominently in your home.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I showed my mom how to defrost stuff sous vide – Joule recommends setting it to 68 and letting it run – and of course she loves it. Usually takes about 30 mins to an hr. But today I found her trying to do it with a whole frozen chicken...which wouldn't seem to be quite safe from a food safety perspective. I found a few different perspectives online about this, but what do you guys think? She had it at 68 for 15 mins, then I changed it with cold water and set her Anova to 38 degrees.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I showed my mom how to defrost stuff sous vide – Joule recommends setting it to 68 and letting it run – and of course she loves it. Usually takes about 30 mins to an hr. But today I found her trying to do it with a whole frozen chicken...which wouldn't seem to be quite safe from a food safety perspective. I found a few different perspectives online about this, but what do you guys think? She had it at 68 for 15 mins, then I changed it with cold water and set her Anova to 38 degrees.

Realistically, it’s probably still frozen internally. Hell it probably didn’t thaw on the surface more than a quarter inch or so if I had to take a wild rear end guess

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I would eat a chicken that had been subjected to that defrosting method, but I probably wouldn’t feed it to the immunocompromised just for “yeah, but what if…?” reasons.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've used a Nesco VS-12 for the last year or two and it has been great.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I want to vac seal a bunch of individual servings of chicken thighs and sous vide them, then refrigerate and eat them throughout the week by just microwaving them for a minute and tossing in a sauce.

I should salt them before I vac seal them, right? Since I'm cooking them right away?

I've not salted them in the past, but they were always going to freezer first rather than straight into the sous vide.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Shroomie posted:

I want to vac seal a bunch of individual servings of chicken thighs and sous vide them, then refrigerate and eat them throughout the week by just microwaving them for a minute and tossing in a sauce.

I should salt them before I vac seal them, right? Since I'm cooking them right away?

I've not salted them in the past, but they were always going to freezer first rather than straight into the sous vide.

Yes I would salt and pepper them before vacuum sealing, and any other seasoning you want on there prior. Honestly chicken does okay in marinating if the skin is off, too. So you could wet brine, soy brine, etc overnight

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I did exactly what you're doing but I freeze them raw in the packs and, in the morning, I get the sous vide going, drop the pack in, and lunch is ready at noon. I find this is better than potentially ruining the point of sous vide by microwaving them, but I also work from home, so.

I like to seal them with a gochujang-harissa marinade, which actually does reduce very well into a sauce post-puddling.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

gochujang-harissa marinade

God drat I need to try that combo. Thank you for the inspiration.

Fake edit: excellent Username/Post combo.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The joke is that my partner is actually quite hematophobic but yells "god of blood" when I open the packets anyway

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Shroomie posted:

Ugh, sous vide thighs and then microwaving them? Really hoping this is a weird attempt to troll.
In case it is not, for all that is good, please do not ruin perfectly good thighs. Thighs really suck when puddled, moreso puddled then microwaved.

Forget all that if you like your thighs a rubbery mess.
edit: unless you subsequently liquify them in a blender and make a nice chicken smoothie.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 18, 2021

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Sous Vide > Microwave without a proper finish means you’re basically making hospital food for yourself.

Enjoy!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Hasselblad posted:

Ugh, sous vide thighs and then microwaving them? Really hoping this is a weird attempt to troll.
In case it is not, for all that is good, please do not ruin perfectly good thighs. Thighs really suck when puddled, moreso puddled then microwaved.

Forget all that if you like your thighs a rubbery mess.
If you're doing chicken thighs s-v and they're coming out rubbery you're probably using too low a temperature. From a food safety standpoint you could do 'em at 55 C or whatever like you would some other slab of protein, but most people are going to prefer the texture/consistency somewhere around 70 C for ~an hour or so, plus or minus depending on preference.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Also I like to get em skin on and give them a minute's sear after puddling

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah I've done dark meat in SV and it turned out great, not rubbery at all. Echoing you gotta do it at the right temperature, can't be afraid to go higher because the dark meat is more forgiving than like, chicken breast, which is dry and stringy when searing much longer than 15s a side. I only SV white meat when I want it for a salad, and then I want it cold so I just SV it ahead of time like the night before, and don't cook it further.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Chicken breast is honestly one of my favorite use cases for sous vide. The chicken tonnato recipe I posted in the general recipes thread is :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

SubG posted:

If you're doing chicken thighs s-v and they're coming out rubbery you're probably using too low a temperature. From a food safety standpoint you could do 'em at 55 C or whatever like you would some other slab of protein, but most people are going to prefer the texture/consistency somewhere around 70 C for ~an hour or so, plus or minus depending on preference.

I cannot think of a single reason to SV a thigh (and then microwaving them for god's sake). Sorry, it just makes them worse than simply cooking them on high heat.