Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
So Kabul falls the instant the evacuation finishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
i hope america just immediately recognizes the islamic emirate of afghanistan and we just immediately memory hole 2001-2021

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Chillgamesh posted:

This is kind of a dumb question but what is the organizational structure of the Taliban actually like?

Like I understand they're Islamic fundamentalists but I don't actually know anything about them outside of that
The top institution of the Taliban is the Rahbari Shura (leadership council) based in Pakistan and overseen by Mawlawis or religious experts. The Rahbari Shura elects the Commander of the Faithful to carry out its policies and the Commander appoints shadow governors for each province who are now becoming governors in fact.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

sleep with the vicious posted:

Could even a slight majority of the crying American liberals name more than 3 cities in Afghanistan, or name all of the countries it borders. Certainly not, but they know this is a moral disaster because

moralizing imperial adventures is like one of the libs' top 10 hobbies

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

im not owned

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

begging and pleading like please don't dynamite the US embassy after you capture it.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Chillgamesh posted:

This is kind of a dumb question but what is the organizational structure of the Taliban actually like?

Like I understand they're Islamic fundamentalists but I don't actually know anything about them outside of that

This paper describes a fusion monarchist/feudalist system derived from Islamic tradition that specifically abhors a professional managerial class:

Honestly, that sounds like a perfectly reasonable reaction to Western-imposed "democracy."

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Honestly, that sounds like a perfectly reasonable reaction to Western-imposed "democracy."

We can see what western fed corrupt central government produced over the last 20 years...

Outright theft on a grand scale with everything from the central government military to the civil service organization being a disaster of mismanagement, corruption and a culture of kickbacks being the standard way to do business.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

Biden's going to be remembered as Jimmy Carter v2 and you know what that means

C-SPAM having to wrestle with the realization that Biden is good???

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Gazpacho posted:

The top institution of the Taliban is the Rahbari Shura (leadership council) based in Pakistan and overseen by Mawlawis or religious experts. The Rahbari Shura elects the Commander of the Faithful to carry out its policies and the Commander appoints shadow governors for each province who are now becoming governors in fact.

So basically a bunch of high-ranking religious officials make all the decisions. Sucks. Not saying it's anyone's place to do anything about it other than the people of Afghanistan though of course. You would think after twenty years of abject failure people would see through the lie that the US can just kill everyone in their way and buy off the survivors but it's obvious from the tenor of mass media at the moment that the establishment is still desperately clinging to it.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Lol if you think Hollywood won't gleefully produce "Firebase Wolfhound" for as long as chuds and their progeny are willing to pay for that poo poo.

There was actually a relative dearth of Middle Eastern war films during the 2000s. The Fox News crowd was mad that Hollywood was seemingly unwilling to portray Muslims as villains. There was some jingoistic movies like Act of Valor (2012, post-Bin Laden, Obama-era lol) or the Michael Bay Benghazi one, but for the most part a lot of them were anti-(Iraq) war and had a lot of "both sides bad" handwringing. I don't think that ever changed.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
They make decisions in consultation with other interested (male) parties.

Gazpacho has issued a correction as of 20:03 on Aug 14, 2021

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Chillgamesh posted:

They have a sort of quasidemocratic system of councils that run things. Nowadays anyway. The OG Taliban was run almost like the government in Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy, where you had this weird hermit living in a shack who was the leader, but none of the leaders since the ol cyclops bit it have had the same authority, so the council is more important than whoever the current Emir is. Previously the Taliban was almost entirely Pashtun, but they've made a pretty humongous effort to become a pan-afghan organization and have been cramming minorities into the council and other leadership positions. It's kind of hard to say how all this is going to translate into a formal government. Probably badly. If they're smart they'll delegate power to local leaders instead of trying to run everything top down like the American puppet government or Omar's Taliban.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Maximo Roboto posted:

There was actually a relative dearth of Middle Eastern war films during the 2000s. The Fox News crowd was mad that Hollywood was seemingly unwilling to portray Muslims as villains. There was some jingoistic movies like Act of Valor (2012, post-Bin Laden, Obama-era lol) or the Michael Bay Benghazi one, but for the most part a lot of them were anti-(Iraq) war and had a lot of "both sides bad" handwringing. I don't think that ever changed.

American Sniper .

Like how the evil Islam caricature guy was dressed in all black.

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches

"this is like when the velociraptor learned to open doors!" -lots of racist assholes rn

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1426614380339290117 finally

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

So it's less a bunch of religious dudes sitting in a smoky room making decisions and more a bunch of regional leaders trying to reach a consensus based on what the groups they respectively represent want

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao Kabul will fall by the end of the month, if not in the next week or 2 at this rate...

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
oh my god I just remembered that Ayman Al Zwahiri is still alive

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Chillgamesh posted:

So it's less a bunch of religious dudes sitting in a smoky room making decisions and more a bunch of regional leaders trying to reach a consensus based on what the groups they respectively represent want

While actively shuffling the civil service to keep people from getting to used to the power and privilege of office.

Edit: seems like a nod to established tribal authority that the middle manage shuffle doesn't apply to the shura council.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts has issued a correction as of 20:08 on Aug 14, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

lmao Kabul will fall by the end of the month, if not in the next week or 2 at this rate...

It really doesn't seem like it will take that long. Sounds more like a matter of days.

Bideo James
Oct 21, 2020

you'll have to ask someone else about the size of her cans
the taliban are going to single handily solve the opiate problem in the USA

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BabakTaghvaee/status/1426608861889314820

https://twitter.com/bungdan/status/1426613196111024133

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
So is it better or worse if the Taliban come into Kabul and the US embassy is an empty shell?

I guess no matter what, people will say we ran away and Taliban will probably have some disturbing celebration on 9/11. I can’t imagine the Taliban would actually want US hostages (and give the US no option but to come back with more force and start everything all over again), but I’m not going to pretend to be an expert here.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The repeated mantra of "Obedience to the Amir" just gave me the funny vision of an Afghan Shogunate.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Fame Douglas posted:

It really doesn't seem like it will take that long. Sounds more like a matter of days.

Month? Days?

Start using hours. Double digit hours most likely once America, UK, Canada and Australia evacuate embassy staff and military trainers leftover for the ANA.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
Makes me think of this

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Eric Cantonese posted:

Taliban will probably have some disturbing celebration on 9/11.

what are ya some kind of loving shitlib? gently caress oooofffffff

loving acting like 9/11 is so much more worse than coalition forces invading and occupying another loving country for 20 years and bombing entire families out of existence

a country that and people that had absolutely nothing to do with 9/11

Agrajag has issued a correction as of 20:19 on Aug 14, 2021

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

This paper describes a fusion monarchist/feudalist system derived from Islamic tradition that specifically abhors a professional managerial class:

Somehow missed this post while replying to Gazpacho. Why has the amir been losing relevance in the way the government is run though? Is the shura council just choosing to be less deferential? It seems like whoever the amir is would naturally gain more power and influence given the emphasis they've put on keeping the council humble.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/bsarwary/status/1426624176073367554?s=21

general dostum lived pretty large

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

lmao at the us official a couple of days ago who said kabul could fall within 90 days when at this rate it won’t even last 90 hours

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Chillgamesh posted:

Somehow missed this post while replying to Gazpacho. Why has the amir been losing relevance in the way the government is run though? Is the shura council just choosing to be less deferential? It seems like whoever the amir is would naturally gain more power and influence given the emphasis they've put on keeping the council humble.

the people who are actually doing the work of governance are inevitably going to accrue more influence than some dude who is technically in charge

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

I guess no matter what, people will say we ran away and Taliban will probably have some disturbing celebration on 9/11.

they will dance on the rooftops

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Chillgamesh posted:

Hahahahahahaha what a stupid question

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Bideo James posted:

the taliban are going to single handily solve the opiate problem in the USA

If I was Afghanistan or China I would increase the supply of opiates and make lots of sick burns about the 19th century

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Comrade Koba posted:

lmao at the us official a couple of days ago who said kabul could fall within 90 days when at this rate it won’t even last 90 hours

Those triple digit billions per year in intelligence black budgets really paying off

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Chillgamesh posted:

being a guerilla force and not a governing body, and dying every few years. Also Omar was basically a mythical creature. A lovely rear end in a top hat who ruled through the whip, but an extremely charismatic figure with a heroic mystique about him.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

etalian posted:

American Sniper .

Like how the evil Islam caricature guy was dressed in all black.

Oh right I forgot, that and Zero Dark Thirty were the big examples

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

unconfirmed reports coming in that Jalalabad has just been handed over to the Taliban.

if this is true, the only place left is Kabul and it will absolutely be taken in the next few days once embassy evacuations are done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Mister Bates posted:

the people who are actually doing the work of governance are inevitably going to accrue more influence than some dude who is technically in charge

Zedhe Khoja posted:

being a guerilla force and not a governing body, and dying every few years. Also Omar was basically a mythical creature. A lovely rear end in a top hat who ruled through the whip, but an extremely charismatic figure with a heroic mystique about him.

So the amir became irrelevant by virtue of his distance from the process of actually governing. That makes sense.

Terror Sweat posted:

Hahahahahahaha what a stupid question

gently caress you bitch how else am i gonna learn