Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Gaz-L posted:

Goto got further than Ishii? :psyduck:

At least he beat that dork SANADA

The thing with Goto is that he honestly did get hot and pushed as a future star early in his career (he won the G1 at age 29, which I think was the youngest G1 winner before Okada), and New Japan really could've used a credible third guy next to Tanahashi and Nakamura in the late 2000s/early 2010s, when they were still rebuilding post-Inokiism. It's just kinda baffling that they never pulled the trigger with him in an era where Nakanashi and Makabe were getting title runs. By the mid 2010s when Okada and Naito were rising up, Goto's window had firmly slammed shut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
has anyone successfully used fake blood of any sort instead of just blading in match? i ask with a wide window for "successfully;" it doesn't heave to look as good as blading but just ideally would not look absurdly fake

this question brought to you by me looking at a twitter thread of wrestlers with forehead scars and thinking drat, blood in wrestling is cool, and blading is badass, but at this point blade spots are incredibly contrived as easy to spot as a thigh slap on a superkick, so why haven't more wrestlers gone for other forms of blood? other than, obviously, various hardway spots that are either cool (deathmatch wrestling) or incredibly stupid (brock vs orton)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

abraham linksys posted:

has anyone successfully used fake blood of any sort instead of just blading in match? i ask with a wide window for "successfully;" it doesn't heave to look as good as blading but just ideally would not look absurdly fake

this question brought to you by me looking at a twitter thread of wrestlers with forehead scars and thinking drat, blood in wrestling is cool, and blading is badass, but at this point blade spots are incredibly contrived as easy to spot as a thigh slap on a superkick, so why haven't more wrestlers gone for other forms of blood? other than, obviously, various hardway spots that are either cool (deathmatch wrestling) or incredibly stupid (brock vs orton)

Fake blood even if it looked real (it rarely does) wipes off in a match. You want a blade job because a little blood keeps flowing for several minutes rather than just wiping off.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1426647844304326657?s=20

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the only time the fake stuff works decently well is for the 'internal bleeding' injury spots, popping a blood capsule in the mouth

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Ken Shamrock kept using the internal bleeding spots for 8 months and swallowed ~1.4L of fake blood over that time period. the problem with that is the capsules at that time (late 90s) contained a mixture of a famous type of fake blood called Kensington Gore but also a generic version of Kodak Photo-Flo solution which is highly toxic but makes the blood look a lot more realistic. he messed up his guts with that and had to throw up basically every day for quite a while but i don't know if there was any permanent damage. if there wasn't then it probably did at least screw up his throat

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

What are the lyrics to the attitude era Raw theme? I have heard it 100s of times and I still have no idea

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

other than using it for internal injuries the only instance i can remember was when roman "broke his nose" and obviously just smashed a fake blood capsule on his face. it could probably be considered successful since the twitter marks bought it

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
RAW IS WAR’S A THORN
IN YOUR EYE

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

I think the only time the fake stuff works decently well is for the 'internal bleeding' injury spots, popping a blood capsule in the mouth

Ken Shamrock account spotted

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

abraham linksys posted:

has anyone successfully used fake blood of any sort instead of just blading in match?

the young bucks dad used fake blood after they wouldnt let him blade during a promo

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I'm going to the AEW Dynamite in Houston this wednesday. Also my first wrestling show.

Any general idea of what to expect for merch? Like whats a shirt going to cost? I'm wondering if Sammy will have anything special since its his home city.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Today I saw the Fingerpoke of Doom for the first time!

Q: Has there ever been a match ended with NO contact before a PIN? (Saying a pin specifically in case there was like a countout or DQ etc)

I'm talking like someone trips and falls -> pin or "just lays down -> pin

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Jeff Jarrett vs Hogan consisted of Jarrett falling over and Hogan putting on a foot on him, no contact

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

I'm going to the AEW Dynamite in Houston this wednesday. Also my first wrestling show.

Any general idea of what to expect for merch? Like whats a shirt going to cost? I'm wondering if Sammy will have anything special since its his home city.

Ever been to a concert? Same kind of deal. 30+. The wife and I are going, too, as dumb as it is to go out into the plague zone that is Houston in 2021.

PASS THE MASH
Oct 30, 2013

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Go to La Calle. It’s a dope taco shop that is constantly playing old el Santo movies.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

PASS THE MASH posted:

Go to La Calle. It’s a dope taco shop that is constantly playing old el Santo movies.

That sounds wonderful.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

DeathChicken posted:

Jeff Jarrett vs Hogan consisted of Jarrett falling over and Hogan putting on a foot on him, no contact

This is amazing, I will look this up now, thank you!

I am not surprised it was Hogan

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Q: Has there ever been a match ended with NO contact before a PIN? (Saying a pin specifically in case there was like a countout or DQ etc)

Isn't the lay down how Shawn dropped the European title?

And depending on your definition, maybe the infamous Jeff Hardy/Sting match?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't the lay down how Shawn dropped the European title?

I think the Shawn/Hunter match had a lock up

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Davros1 posted:

I think the Shawn/Hunter match had a lock up

Yeah I remember them teasing an intense match and then the lay down.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah I remember them teasing an intense match and then the lay down.

Not quite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVPe5VPLCac

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Manwithastick posted:

What are the lyrics to the attitude era Raw theme? I have heard it 100s of times and I still have no idea

the funny thing about the attitude era raw theme is that the full song is like 4 minutes long and they only use the last like 30 seconds of it which sound almost nothing like the preceding 3:30

anyway the relevant lyrics are

It's my life in the box
In front of me

Shooting junk in my arm
Is the soul of me

See you walking past me
Laying face down

Why am I a thorn
In your eye

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

It was brief, but Hardy legit scratched Sting who then hit him with one of his finishers. There was definitely contact.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Alaois posted:

the funny thing about the attitude era raw theme is that the full song is like 4 minutes long and they only use the last like 30 seconds of it which sound almost nothing like the preceding 3:30

It's my life in the box
In front of me

Shooting junk in my arm
Is the soul of me

See you walking past me
Laying face down

Why am I a thorn
In your eye

And 'junk' was censored.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Marc Mero and Sable had a match where, if she won, she'd be free from Mero.

Mero have a pre-match speech where he basically apologized for how he treated her and laid down for her to pin him. Hoever, at the 2 count he reversed the pin for the win.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Alaois posted:

It's my life in the box
In front of me

Shooting junk in my arm
Is the soul of me

See you walking past me
Laying face down

Why am I a thorn
In your eye

The song is a bad earth crisis rip off which is extremely strange considering its about doing heroin

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

BaronVanAwesome posted:

During the Deadly Game tournament at Survivor Series 1998, Big Boss Man entered the ring and dove at the Rock, who just caught him and rolled it into a pin. By the end of the night, it was revealed that they were on the same side and this was part of the plan.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Yeah I remember Hunter running the ropes in comically exaggerated fashion before the pin

Still pretty funny even if it totally killed off the European title

Benne fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 15, 2021

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Learning the actual Attitude Era Raw theme lyrics is the worst thing to have happened to me in the past two years.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He had a big hand in helping make DDP

"I think I want to take the Diamond Cutter tonight."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0tdDHSYJ7g

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

It's not quite the same thing, but in the 2017 Best Of Super Jrs, Taka Michinoku and Taichi have a ten minute match with spots on the outside, a rope crotching, exposed turnbuckles and all sorts, where physical contact is is only made in the last 15 seconds before the pin.

https://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00440_2_05

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

Smoking Crow posted:

The song is a bad earth crisis rip off which is extremely strange considering its about doing heroin

That's why they censored the line about heroin.

They didn't want a firestorm of controversy.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
What wrestler has been in the most promotions? I ask because as I watch various wrestling history youtube stuff, it feels like Chavo Guerrero has been loving everywhere, even in that brief TNA promotion in India. Is there someone who's bounced around even more than that?

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Keiji Mutoh. I'm having a hard time thinking of a promotion (that has male competitors) that he hasn't had at least a single match in.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Sabu has gotta be up there, also Terry Funk

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Tajiri should be up there with his habit of randomly flying off to Europe to work a bunch of indies in addition to working all over the place in Japan

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I just sort of assume jeff jarrett has worked for every promotion that ever existed because no matter how hard i try i have never been able to escape seeing him wrestle

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Tajiri should be up there with his habit of randomly flying off to Europe to work a bunch of indies in addition to working all over the place in Japan

Yeah I remember seeing that he & Mikey were working some Finnish promotion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

ultimo dragon's appeared in basically every notable japanese men's promotion both major and indie , wcw, wwe, cmll, uwa, and aaa.

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=1072&page=20

mil mascaras' prime obv occured earlier but also has all three major wrestlng territories well covered.

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=2&nr=126&page=20

Thauros fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 16, 2021