Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

dema posted:

Traded in my beloved 2015 CBR1000RR for a 2020 Super Duke R. End of an era. I'm old and poo poo. Gone from clipons to handlebars.

More like Rad Moto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Two orange bikes and an old german car. THE MADMAN!!!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

dema posted:

Traded in my beloved 2015 CBR1000RR for a 2020 Super Duke R. End of an era. I'm old and poo poo. Gone from clipons to handlebars.

gently caress Yeah welcome to the fun side

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Two orange bikes and an old german car. THE MADMAN!!!

If he has a 996 the orange bikes are like cute harmless wallet puppies by comparison :v:

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Bought the 996 in 2018 for $20k. I've spent a bunch on maintenance and getting the IMS done. But since they're going for high 30s right now, I'm not really out any money. Kinda rad.

Steakandchips posted:

Beautiful Super Duke, how are you liking it so far?

Very stoked on it. Super nimble and confidence inspiring.

Don't know about power yet, still in the break in phase and I've been following the instructions. Shifting at like 6k rpm. Bought it with 554 miles and I think that's over at 650. Should be done today.

Great sound but surprisingly quiet. Might have to look into that.

Super comfortable.

Bonus: cruise control is sweet. Don't imagine I'll use it for long stretches, but it's nice to give your throttle hand a break while you're on the way back from the mountains.

dema fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 13, 2021

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Phy posted:

Sorry to see another Weestrom go, they're the golden retrievers of motorcycling. But I'm glad you've got something else that works for you, it's a nice looking scoot! I'm genuinely surprised to hear the back seat is more comfortable than the Wee, because the Wee is very comfy. Maybe not GW or Electraglide comfy but my wife did fall asleep on the back of mine once.

I believe the issue was in the seat to footpegs ergonomics? We are kinda short, and the wee is a relatively tall bike; she tended to slide forward (got inadvertently headbutted from behind from time to time, God I hate it)

Also it remains to see how comfortable the scooter-like rear suspension really is for the passenger compared to a proper motorcycle setup, since usually they're one of the areas where costs are cut more, but hey we're (probably) not going to make 1000km trips with a 330cc scooter anyway

I am sure my wee will make someone else happy :unsmith:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

dema posted:

:hellyeah: the lc8 whips rear end

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

My large adult goonson texts me the other day with a pic and a message "bought a bike"!

Not a gixxer thank the loving maker. 2012 Ninja 250 10k miles, been out of commission for a couple years so once the new battery charges I'll know if it will start. I've never been lucky but we'll see. Tank is not rusty, but fuel is old. Already went through and fixed the seized up rear brake, changed the pads and fluid, and fixed a few minor issues. Tires are getting close to EOL, Recommendations on tires for a newgen 250?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pirelli sport demon!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

dema posted:

Don't know about power yet, still in the break in phase and I've been following the instructions. Shifting at like 6k rpm. Bought it with 554 miles and I think that's over at 650. Should be done today.

Ya don't worry about this at all ride it like you stole it. We took a brand new one with less than 10 miles on it, thew on slicks and thrashed it at the track. 25k+ later it's still happy as a can be.

Enjoy.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Pirelli sport demon!

I see the Rosso II or III's recommended often (140/70/17 rear) but have some vague recollection of you or someone else on here not liking them?

These are really easy bikes to work on. Little things like both brake systems being on the same side as the controls so it's very easy to bleed the brakes. Front and rear brakes use the same pads, which is something I've never seen before. Tank comes off in about 5 minutes. Bodywork makes sense and comes off easily (gently caress off Honda). Man, did Kawi cheap out on the fasteners though. They all look like poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nothing wrong with rosso's, they just tend to wear quickly and cost a lot more, which is fine if you have an r3 or rc390 but they're sort of squandered on an ex250; you won't get anything more out of them. I think the demons have better feel on soggy wobbly old style small bikes like the ex.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

TorakFade posted:

I believe the issue was in the seat to footpegs ergonomics? We are kinda short, and the wee is a relatively tall bike; she tended to slide forward (got inadvertently headbutted from behind from time to time, God I hate it)

Also it remains to see how comfortable the scooter-like rear suspension really is for the passenger compared to a proper motorcycle setup, since usually they're one of the areas where costs are cut more, but hey we're (probably) not going to make 1000km trips with a 330cc scooter anyway

I am sure my wee will make someone else happy :unsmith:

I admire the poo poo out of moving to a scooter.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm going the other way and just bought my first proper leather jacket. (Well, from cruiser to sportsbike).

One one of the local shops is absolutely awesome. They really helped me out when I first started and they make sure everything fits.
Their stock is usually older, but prices are also lower and I've been unable to find anything cheaper online.
I went there today just to 'try on' and figure out what would fit and walked out with a jacket. (Alpinestar 'Faster' model..basic, but enough).

I got my eyes on a Aprilia RS660 and will most likely pick one up over the winter. I still love my Guzzi V7, but are running out of steam on some of the faster rides.
Also doesn't help that my regular riding partner is on a CBR1000RR.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I'm going the other way and just bought my first proper leather jacket. (Well, from cruiser to sportsbike).

One one of the local shops is absolutely awesome. They really helped me out when I first started and they make sure everything fits.
Their stock is usually older, but prices are also lower and I've been unable to find anything cheaper online.
I went there today just to 'try on' and figure out what would fit and walked out with a jacket. (Alpinestar 'Faster' model..basic, but enough).

I got my eyes on a Aprilia RS660 and will most likely pick one up over the winter. I still love my Guzzi V7, but are running out of steam on some of the faster rides.

You need an r3 so you can learn to ride properly before annihilating yourself with a 100hp bike.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Also because R3’s are amazingly fun and you’ll want to keep it even if you end up with a faster bike.

I think too many people (I read Reddit) assume “starter bike” means “stepping-stone bike.” It can be good to start on while also being good to own forever.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If I ran the world a starter bike would be a loving 13hp 125 :v:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Slavvy posted:

You need an r3 so you can learn to ride properly before annihilating yourself with a 100hp bike.

I've had 3 years on the V7. The R3 is only marginally faster.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I finished the wheel rebuild on my CL350, and I think I haven't posted any pictures of it since I vinyl-wrapped it either, so here it is.

The color is "antique bronze" and "raspberry" but everyone thinks it's the 49ers colors. I did not plan it that way at all (it isn't the same colors anyway, the 49ers are scarlet and gold) but I guess that's what people see in San Francisco. I don't have anything against the niners though so I'm cool with it. I made the 70s squiggly snake pattern with a CNC vinyl cutter. New wheels are the original rims powder-coated black, original hubs just lightly sanded and cleaned up, and new stainless steel spokes.

On today's ride a ~20 year old kid with a Rebel 300 told me my bike was awesome and he liked his Rebel too and he knew it was just a starter bike but he liked it...and I told him that actually these ~300cc bikes are pretty much the perfect size for everything, and that I have bigger bikes but I love the small ones and he made a good choice, and we both just kinda agreed that we both had great bikes and little Hondas are awesome.

Then an old dude on a Harley came up to tell me that he had a 350 when he was my age and that I should put "hot cams" in my bike and it would look "meaner" with a fatter rear tire. :ok:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Aug 15, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've had 3 years on the V7. The R3 is only marginally faster.

You know what, I can't be bothered. Get a GoPro!

Sagebrush posted:

I finished the wheel rebuild on my CL350, and I think I haven't posted any pictures of it since I vinyl-wrapped it either, so here it is.

The color is "antique bronze" and "raspberry" but everyone thinks it's the 49ers colors. I did not plan it that way at all (it isn't the same colors anyway, the 49ers are scarlet and gold) but I guess that's what people see in San Francisco. I don't have anything against the niners though so I'm cool with it. I made the 70s squiggly snake pattern with a CNC vinyl cutter. New wheels are the original rims powder-coated black, original hubs just lightly sanded and cleaned up, and new stainless steel spokes.

On today's ride a ~20 year old kid with a Rebel 300 told me my bike was awesome and he liked his Rebel too and he knew it was just a starter bike but he liked it...and I told him that actually these ~300cc bikes are pretty much the perfect size for everything, and that I have bigger bikes but I love the small ones and he made a good choice, and we both just kinda agreed that we both had great bikes and little Hondas are awesome.

Then an old dude on a Harley came up to tell me that he had a 350 when he was my age and that I should put "hot cams" in my bike and it would look "meaner" with a fatter rear tire. :ok:

Rules.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

:britain: (And Europe)

The direct access route needs a “get a GoPro” clause though.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Aug 15, 2021

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Honestly, the 11kw/15hp class is kinda sucky. It's supposed to prevent 18 year olds from killing themselves on a way too fast bike, but i'd say the old system we had (25kw in the Netherlands) made more sense. 25kw is too little to get yourself in a lot of trouble with, but it is considerably more practical on highways.

The two tiered system was sensible, the three tiered system (11kw/35kw + max power to weight/unlimited) is downright stupid and just a complicated way to discourage people from riding. A considerable number of '11kw bike derestriction' threads exist on a big motorcycle forum...

It gets even more idiotic when in other countries you can do the 11kw class at 16 already, or with a car license, while the whole point of introducing the 11kw class was to make rules identical all over europe.
I was bloody lucky i did my exam just in time before the new system was introduced.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Aug 15, 2021

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Have any of these people ever seen a 49er's game? Sweet bike.

quote:

loving lol they just can't help themselves.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

That the lookout on 9? I’d totally sit at Skywood Trading Post parking lot with that sweet 49ers bike and drink Red Bulls.

dema fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 15, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Maybe think about a bike that doesn't have an engine replacement recall.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Best decision I ever made was buying that 2014 Honda CBF125.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dema posted:

That the lookout on 9? I’d totally sit at Skywood Trading Post parking lot with that sweet 49ers bike and drink Red Bulls.

Sure is. And about half an hour earlier I was at the Skywood Trading Post parking lot with my sweet 49ers bike, eating a reuben sandwich and drinking sparkling water because caffeine fucks me up.

It's fun to see what else shows up at that intersection on the weekends, though yesterday wasn't all that interesting. The most unusual bike was a weird old Japanese I4 rat rod with a rusty welded sheet metal tank and four mismatched headlights. Other than that it was about sixty new bagger Harleys and generic sport bikes. Yawn.

One time I was there and an old couple showed up on matching perfect condition GB500s and boy was I jelly.

e: for the non-californians, this intersection: https://goo.gl/maps/WCHoq9MayuZdHwSD6

:3:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 15, 2021

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Gorson posted:

My large adult goonson texts me the other day with a pic and a message "bought a bike"!

Not a gixxer thank the loving maker. 2012 Ninja 250 10k miles, been out of commission for a couple years so once the new battery charges I'll know if it will start. I've never been lucky but we'll see. Tank is not rusty, but fuel is old. Already went through and fixed the seized up rear brake, changed the pads and fluid, and fixed a few minor issues. Tires are getting close to EOL, Recommendations on tires for a newgen 250?

Sadly this did not get completely running before the end of the weekend, a dead starter button put me back. After testing the relay and solenoid and everything else in the circuit I finally found the secondary frame ground that I had been looking for. It's under a wire loom on the right side of the bike. It was very corroded. Cleaned up that connection and got it turning over and running briefly but the carbs are dirty and will need to come out.

Finally got a Carbtune Pro so I'm lining up a few carbs for service.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

Sadly this did not get completely running before the end of the weekend, a dead starter button put me back. After testing the relay and solenoid and everything else in the circuit I finally found the secondary frame ground that I had been looking for. It's under a wire loom on the right side of the bike. It was very corroded. Cleaned up that connection and got it turning over and running briefly but the carbs are dirty and will need to come out.

Finally got a Carbtune Pro so I'm lining up a few carbs for service.

Nice hyosung :smugdog:

Let me know how you get on with the carbtune, I've had one for several years and it's been great but the little plastic adapters are tiresome, keep meaning to get brass ones.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Sure is. And about half an hour earlier I was at the Skywood Trading Post parking lot with my sweet 49ers bike, eating a reuben sandwich and drinking sparkling water because caffeine fucks me up.

I miss how STP/Alice's was like, Bikes & Coffee, all weekend. Haven't found anything like that in Colorado. It's all either HD dudes without helmets or sport bike bros with suspended licenses.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Finally a real monsoon season here, desert is so verdant right now

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

dema posted:

I miss how STP/Alice's was like, Bikes & Coffee, all weekend. Haven't found anything like that in Colorado. It's all either HD dudes without helmets or sport bike bros with suspended licenses.

Gonna be one of the hardest things if I ever move away. 5 miles to the start if 9 and all the glorious roads in the SC mountains. Or head the other way over Mt Ham and over to mines and hit up the Junction

Great folks all around and interesting convos to be had with whoever you run into. Love how there are people posted up on nice weekends just taking pics of random people carving it up too

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

Man that was something I really loved about Arizona when I lived there. Waking up the day after it rained and suddenly everything that was brown has turned green, and the flowers are all out and the cactus are fat like barrels. The desert knows what to do with water when it's available.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

Nice hyosung :smugdog:

Let me know how you get on with the carbtune, I've had one for several years and it's been great but the little plastic adapters are tiresome, keep meaning to get brass ones.

VFR750f, is Hyo knocking off 25 year old Honda designs again?

So far so good with the Carbtune. I did both the Wings which is child's play, the adapters thread into the bottom of the intake runners and the adjustment screws are right there. The VFR adjustment screws are tucked away but shouldn't be too tough with everything removed. My carbtune came with the brass adapters and checking the site that's the only one they offer now. I can't imagine the plastic ones work very well.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Russian Bear posted:

drat props to you for getting out in the humidity! I had vague plans to wake up early Saturday or Sunday and get out to Bartlett Lake or maybe even Tortilla Flats, but my lazy self was getting swamp rear end walking to my car by the time I rolled out of bed so put it on hold for a while yet.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gorson posted:

VFR750f, is Hyo knocking off 25 year old Honda designs again?

So far so good with the Carbtune. I did both the Wings which is child's play, the adapters thread into the bottom of the intake runners and the adjustment screws are right there. The VFR adjustment screws are tucked away but shouldn't be too tough with everything removed. My carbtune came with the brass adapters and checking the site that's the only one they offer now. I can't imagine the plastic ones work very well.

I was referring to the little inset pic of the hawk gt, couldn't figure out how to quote it.

I got mine years ago so yeah it came with plastic fittings, interesting that only brass is available now.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

The NC750 I ordered almost a year ago finally arrived. It was hot and smokey all weekend so garage picture for now.
I think the throttle needs to be tightened a bit, and I need to rotate the handlebars a little, but otherwise I'm really happy with it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Out of the way parallame Honda, I want a better view of that XT :allears:

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Out of the way parallame Honda, I want a better view of that XT :allears:
Back when I first bought the bike, my in-law's cat had to ensure the seat was of sufficient quality:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BabelFish posted:

Back when I first bought the bike, my in-law's cat had to ensure the seat was of sufficient quality:

Just perfect. Everyone should try one of those.

Yes the cat too.