Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

LODGE NORTH posted:

You could get the Powkiddy RGB10 Max. It’s a Switch Lite but not.

e: I don’t know what any of the non-measurement words mean in that pic. It’s just showing its size. Screen is 5 inches.

How do I change the thread title to THE REAL OBJECT SHALL PREVAIL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

THE REAL OBJECT *lightning crack* SHALL PREVAIL

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I love my Vita but would be nice to have it hover slightly above my hand

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I think all the 351 devices have pretty thick bezels, Anbernic still has a couple revisions left to push the bezel to the edge. I hate companies leave thick bezel on their devices so they can put their names on it. Sony is guilty of this.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUtWsiG0lXg

stephenthinkpad posted:

I think all the 351 devices have pretty thick bezels, Anbernic still has a couple revisions left to push the bezel to the edge. I hate companies leave thick bezel on their devices so they can put their names on it. Sony is guilty of this.
No one makes a thick bezel so they can put their name on it, the screen size and components and the size of the casing needed to fit everything in there are all determined well beforehand, and the branding just goes wherever there is space.

The Nintendo 3DS doesn't have giant bezels because they needed to put the START, SELECT, and HOME buttons there, they put the START, SELECT, and HOME buttons there because they already decided on 3.5" bottom screens and all the other components that necessitated the overall size of the unit itself be that much larger than the screens themselves.

I know modern iPads and phones have conditioned us to expect ALL SCREEN ALL THE TIME but even the cheapest walmart smartphones are much more expensive to make than these things.

If you want a device that actually cuts a chunk out of the chin where a logo would normally go, there's the PocketGo S30

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 12, 2021

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I ordered a 351V. :toot:

There was a lot of good stuff to choose from. What swayed me was that reviews said the screen quality is great, and I don't like my Switch's wide grip so I thought it would suit me more than the 351m/p. Plus it has that Game Boy look. It's going to be weird playing my old games on this thing when it arrives.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/carygolomb/status/1425125777016860677
https://twitter.com/carygolomb/status/1425127223435071492
lmao at that holepunch camera on a notphone

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I like the look of it, but wish it had a second analog stick so I could have my PSX games.

In a related matter, I spoke with Anbernic and I can get a discounted rate on a pallet of 351s for orders of 50 and scaling from there. If there is any interest in a group buy or whatever I can arrange that. I’m half thinking of trying my hand at reselling, but I’m a bit concerned about the legal implications of them shipping with ROMs and BIOS files. I suppose I could just reflash everything to use 351Elec or the like.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Got my Powkiddy A66 / Trimui Model S...

...any recommendations for a screen protector?
Screen protectors for anything with a similarly small screen should fit, whether a game n watch or old phone

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PJGL5BF/

If you're concerned about the fit I guess you can buy any plastic screen protector and trim it to fit with scissors

Warbird posted:

I like the look of it, but wish it had a second analog stick so I could have my PSX games.

In a related matter, I spoke with Anbernic and I can get a discounted rate on a pallet of 351s for orders of 50 and scaling from there. If there is any interest in a group buy or whatever I can arrange that. I’m half thinking of trying my hand at reselling, but I’m a bit concerned about the legal implications of them shipping with ROMs and BIOS files. I suppose I could just reflash everything to use 351Elec or the like.
It has a modular second stick, or were you referring to the Pocketgo S30?

Also I would be wary about the possibility of taking a bath on $5000 worth of chinese bootleg retro handhelds when aliexpress/retromimi/anbernic's site suddenly give them a 10% price cut or something similar.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 12, 2021

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Warbird posted:

But sir...it does have a second analog stick

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Why wouldn't they just add $30 worth of cellphone hardware on it and make it a phone? You probably can make call with blutooth and google voice on it already.

This is exactly the same size as a modern phone (which all have the 6.7" screen nowadays) plus the Gamesir x2 controller. 7000mah is like 40% more than a phone battery, so this is heavier too.

I have doubt of mediatek's emulation power since most android emulators are optimized for snapdragon. How much was the list price of the last GPD android thing?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Sorry, the 351V. TUS's post swooped in while I was composing.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Every new thing gpd puts out gets further and further away from what I want

Who asked for this? They're not even competing with the rg series at this point, they're competing with a regular phone in a $20 gamepad grip, except it's less powerful, has a worse internet connection and can't make calls

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

drat pouring one out for the loss of clamshell design.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

There was a lot of good stuff to choose from. What swayed me was that reviews said the screen quality is great, and I don't like my Switch's wide grip so I thought it would suit me more than the 351m/p. Plus it has that Game Boy look. It's going to be weird playing my old games on this thing when it arrives.

:toot: It's real good. I hope you got wood grain.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Went with the 351v too, should arrive tomorrow. The screen should be much better scaling wise than the 3:2 320p screens in p/m models. Looking forward to intensely tinkering with it for a week and hopefully also competiting few retro games!

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

:toot: It's real good. I hope you got wood grain.

I saw the reviews that praised the woodgrain but I went with black since it's more low key. If I ever swap buttons I think it's going to look sharp.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

I saw the reviews that praised the woodgrain but I went with black since it's more low key. If I ever swap buttons I think it's going to look sharp.

That's okay, we all make mistakes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m real curious what price point they are going for with this thing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

LLCoolJD posted:

Hey guess what.

You did good. Real good.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I like gray 351v. It reminds me of gameboy, but plays everything. I liked gameboy. I WILL NOT BE SWAYED BY THE CREEPY CULT OF THE WOOD GRAIN!

Whatever 351v you choose, combined with 351Elec or ArkOS, it's pretty great. Or at least mine is. I might've gotten lucky though, manufacturing quality can be all over the place apparently.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

MarcusSA posted:

I’m real curious what price point they are going for with this thing.
A phone with those specs is about $200-250, so around there I'd imagine.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Rolo posted:

Hey guess what.

You did good. Real good.

I gave Retro Dodo and Retro Game Corps plenty of views! Sadly, it's probably not going to get here in time for a plane trip I've got coming up.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

That's okay, we all make mistakes.

:cheeky:

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
I couldn’t decide which handheld to order after all the articles, videos and useless stats… So I ended up ordering both the Powkiddy RGB10Max and the Abnernic RG351P. Definitely the most expensive stuff I’ve ever ordered through AliExpress, I was kind of surprised it didn’t trigger the bank security considering most of my purchases through Ali are in the $1 to $6 range.

Anyway, this way I can try them both out, work out which I want to keep and the other will be a birthday or xmas gift for son, brother or nephew - once I work out which one wants it.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Personally, I find it really hard to trust a lot of reviews that aren’t just “here’s me using the device and how it functions” like RGC and Taki do. Retro Dodo feels like he doesn’t even actually review the device, just opens it and uses it as is and reviews it based off that. Something about it feels artificial but that just may be me.

One interesting thing I noticed about COVID was a lot of otherwise Switch reviewers and channels started dabbling into retro game stuff, but they don’t know a lot about them, so their reviews are just… insufficient or wrong.

I dunno, maybe it’s just me, but a lot of times with a lot of these devices, I have an end goal or what I want to do on it and if the specs allow me to do that or the custom firmware built for it does, then all is good from there.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

LODGE NORTH posted:

Personally, I find it really hard to trust a lot of reviews that aren’t just “here’s me using the device and how it functions” like RGC and Taki do. Retro Dodo feels like he doesn’t even actually review the device, just opens it and uses it as is and reviews it based off that. Something about it feels artificial but that just may be me.

One interesting thing I noticed about COVID was a lot of otherwise Switch reviewers and channels started dabbling into retro game stuff, but they don’t know a lot about them, so their reviews are just… insufficient or wrong.

I dunno, maybe it’s just me, but a lot of times with a lot of these devices, I have an end goal or what I want to do on it and if the specs allow me to do that or the custom firmware built for it does, then all is good from there.
If reviews don't go into custom firmware or mention stuff like screen tearing/proper aspect ratios/menu options then they're basically trash and only good for seeing how the device physically looks.
Retro Game Corps is definitely the cream of the crop of emulation device reviews/guides.

el3m
Jun 18, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I got my gray RG351V today and it was great until I noticed that both L2 and R2 buttons make inputs every once in a while.

It was hard to understand the issue first, I just thought that the 351elec menus were buggy, but I tend to bind bomb button in shmups to R2 and all my bombs were gone in like a minute. Snes controller test rom confirmed that it's both l2 and r2. In the test rom I noticed that r1 also misses inputs. Luckily I got this from local Amazon so returning should be possible.

I thought about opening this to check the buttons (this might be a loose ribbon cable?) but two of the screws are quite deep and none of my t8 heads fit.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

My black RG351V arrived and it's absolutely amazing. But the "small" retro handhelds must be tiny if this one isn't considered a small one, good lord.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It's the largest of these Odroid Go Advance clone retro portables besides the Odroid Go Super/RGB10Max, larger than every gameboy since the original, and noticeably larger than its predecessor, the RG351P (lower right)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I got around to loading a bunch of Final Burn Neo ROMs onto my 351 and drat, I missed arcade games so much lol. CPS2 and Neo Geo games specifically. Fuckin' Alien vs. Predator is so good lol.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

teagone posted:

I got around to loading a bunch of Final Burn Neo ROMs onto my 351 and drat, I missed arcade games so much lol. CPS2 and Neo Geo games specifically. Fuckin' Alien vs. Predator is so good lol.

AvP arcade kicks rear end and it sucks that the only legit way to get it nowadays is that weird Capcom home arcade thing.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

What is the proper romset for the Final Burn Neo and Mame emulators for the RG351v?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Pablo Nergigante posted:

AvP arcade kicks rear end and it sucks that the only legit way to get it nowadays is that weird Capcom home arcade thing.

Yeah holy poo poo, it's so good. Hits the nostalgia so hard. What's even better is I just found out my 8BitDo wireless adapter works flawlessly with the 351p. Paired my DS4 controller no problem lmao.

[edit] Spoke too soon! I can navigate 351ELEC with my DS4 no problem, but once I launch a game, none of the binds work :(

teagone fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Aug 15, 2021

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

teagone posted:

[edit] Spoke too soon! I can navigate 351ELEC with my DS4 no problem, but once I launch a game, none of the binds work :(

You probably need to set it up in Retroarch proper by backing out of the quick menu, going into Settings->Input, and setting up the DS4 there. Since the integrated controller is always connected, it's probably giving that priority. Hell it might've just autoconfigured your DS4 as player 2, which you can prevent by setting "Maximum Users" to 1.

But, to be honest.. I don't understand the point in doing this? Like the point of these handhelds is to keep them in your pocket/bag and hold them in your hand. Surely you have better screens to play on if you're playing with a wireless controller?

I mean there are a lot of features like that I often see requested that I don't understand, like wireless controllers on a handheld, HDMI out, or hell, stereo speakers (it's not like you're holding the device close enough to your head for your ears to discern the separation).

Wamdoodle posted:

What is the proper romset for the Final Burn Neo and Mame emulators for the RG351v?

For MAME, the 2003 (0.78) and 2010 (0.139) romsets are supported, though I'd probably just get 2003 unless you know there's something in 2010 you want. I'm more confused than anyone about final burn, but as far as I can find, I think it doesn't seem to have multiple release 'breakpoints' like mame does and i think you just want the most current you can find? I might be wrong about that. Presumably the most current romset would have a lot of large stuff the 351 couldn't come close to handling.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

zzMisc posted:

stereo speakers (it's not like you're holding the device close enough to your head for your ears to discern the separation)

I am! It's one of my favorite features on the Switch. It's not really about stereo separation and more that the balance is off. It drives me nuts that most budget phones and tablets now have just one speaker near the bottom; watching video in landscape mode means you get like 75% of the sound in one ear.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

zzMisc posted:

You probably need to set it up in Retroarch proper by backing out of the quick menu, going into Settings->Input, and setting up the DS4 there. Since the integrated controller is always connected, it's probably giving that priority. Hell it might've just autoconfigured your DS4 as player 2, which you can prevent by setting "Maximum Users" to 1.

But, to be honest.. I don't understand the point in doing this? Like the point of these handhelds is to keep them in your pocket/bag and hold them in your hand. Surely you have better screens to play on if you're playing with a wireless controller?

My hope was for local co-op on the tiny portable. AvP Arcade is fun, but it's even more fun with other people. And yep, I thought of manually mapping inside of the Retroarch settings too, but it auto-mapped input 2 controller to the 8BitDo adapter/DS4 no problem after initial setup inside the EmulationStation settings; still though, no inputs from the external controller are read in-game, no matter what controller port.

Further research led me to read that most cores don't support external controllers. Retro Game Corps authored up an article about it, albeit for the RG350, where they listed which emulators have external gamepad support: https://retrogamecorps.com/2020/08/29/guide-external-gamepad-support-for-the-rg350/

[edit] I'm not using any of those emulators with external gamepad support, so RIP me. Lol.

[edit 2] Oh Picodrive supports external gamepad support—will try that later with some Genesis games.

teagone fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 15, 2021

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Games look very solid with literally zero changes with my 351v running 351elec, but I'd like to play with shaders (which, from my understanding of the terminology, includes things like pixel smoothing) more or less just for the fun of it. My understanding is that I do that in 351elec, in games settings -> per system advanced configuration -> whichever system -> Shaders Set, right? That list is huge, and booting back into a game to see what they look like for comparison's sake seems like a pain in the rear end. Is there a big screenshot gallery of some or all of these?

Also, if i could backseat post, the OP could probably be updated by noting the existence of 351elec and how insanely easy it makes getting the 351p/m/v up and running.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

zzMisc posted:

I mean there are a lot of features like that I often see requested that I don't understand, like wireless controllers on a handheld, HDMI out, or hell, stereo speakers (it's not like you're holding the device close enough to your head for your ears to discern the separation).

You really don't see any appeal in being able to plug your handheld into a tv and continue your game on the big screen? Better call Nintendo and let them know they're way off with the switch

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This is a general emulation question, but anyone know why MAME always needs particular romsets unlike just random rom files like any other emulator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

JazzFlight posted:

This is a general emulation question, but anyone know why MAME always needs particular romsets unlike just random rom files like any other emulator?

The Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator emulates a bunch of different hardware platforms, you need the right rom for the right hardware. Lots of arcade machines are entirely unique and custom systems that's purpose built to run one / a handful of games. Also, different versions of MAME support different hardware.