Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Good post, I actually know next to nothing about Holmes so I had no idea how much Deep Lore Takumi packed into the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Yinlock posted:

??? I remember him pointing a gun at you right before he gets arrested, did my brain just make this up

[1-5] No, this happens. After the dance of deduction reveals him as a shady character, he pulls a gun on you and tries to hold up the place. Then Gregson and the police appear, and he runs off. The next time you see him is in court, standing next to Gregson, who completely ignores that he witnessed this guy commit attempted robbery two days earlier. Ryunosuke brings it up after like two testimonies and Gregson weakly responds "ehh I didn't get a good look at the guy" and that's the end of it.

Maybe the time you spend in court with him is on par with a typical culprit, but it feels a hell of a lot longer because you've got the arresting officer standing right next to him the whole time and pretending he's never met the guy. Like it eventually comes out why that's the case, but that doesn't make it less frustrating if you spend the time thinking the game is loving with you for no reason.

I forget the details of which testimonies I thought were extraneous, but going by my recollections, the one with him and the Skulkin brothers where you establish that he changed his name from Milverton, and the one at the end where you nail him with the peephole machine felt like they went on forever.

E: Also at the end when you're tearing into Gregson I presented the Hounds of the Baskervilles to make him talk and it gave me a game over without the decency of having any funny dialogue, and I had to replay that segment. That's arguably on me, but it for sure was a drag.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 14, 2021

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

[1-5] No, this happens. After the dance of deduction reveals him as a shady character, he pulls a gun on you and tries to hold up the place. Then Gregson and the police appear, and he runs off. The next time you see him is in court, standing next to Gregson, who completely ignores that he witnessed this guy commit attempted robbery two days earlier. Ryunosuke brings it up after like two testimonies and Gregson weakly responds "ehh I didn't get a good look at the guy" and that's the end of it.

Maybe the time you spend in court with him is on par with a typical culprit, but it feels a hell of a lot longer because you've got the arresting officer standing right next to him the whole time and pretending he's never met the guy. Like it eventually comes out why that's the case, but that doesn't make it less frustrating if you spend the time thinking the game is loving with you for no reason.

I forget the details of which testimonies I thought were extraneous, but going by my recollections, the one with him and the Skulkin brothers where you establish that he changed his name from Milverton, and the one at the end where you nail him with the peephole machine felt like they went on forever.

E: Also at the end when you're tearing into Gregson I presented the Hounds of the Baskervilles to make him talk and it gave me a game over without the decency of having any funny dialogue, and I had to replay that segment. That's arguably on me, but it for sure was a drag.

Yeah my bad I totally forgot that detail!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
G2-3: The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles: here are some of my sassy witch pics

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

G2-3: The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles: here are some of my sassy witch pics

sassy witch photographic prints

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Mid 2-1: I love Soseki-san so much

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Susato's animations for flipping through the book and smacking it when she finds something are so good

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

[1-5] Maybe the time you spend in court with him is on par with a typical culprit, but it feels a hell of a lot longer because you've got the arresting officer standing right next to him the whole time and pretending he's never met the guy. Like it eventually comes out why that's the case, but that doesn't make it less frustrating if you spend the time thinking the game is loving with you for no reason.
I guess this might be what got you both, but honestly i thought something being up with gregson was so blatantly obvious by that point i just assumed him blatantly ignoring the guy was related and part of the mystery (as, indeed, it turned out to be)

what also might be related is that i'm one of those players who feels the true purpose of an ace attorney game is to extract every single piece of dialogue from the game before continuing with the plot so i always press and examine everything and whatnot and all the cross examinations are always very lengthy for me anyway. a few of those in 1-5 might not have too much Plot Movement going on but there sure are some funny fluff lines and honestly what more could i ask for

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Amppelix posted:

what also might be related is that i'm one of those players who feels the true purpose of an ace attorney game is to extract every single piece of dialogue from the game before continuing with the plot so i always press and examine everything and whatnot and all the cross examinations are always very lengthy for me anyway. a few of those in 1-5 might not have too much Plot Movement going on but there sure are some funny fluff lines and honestly what more could i ask for
if people play these games without pressing A on every possible object for maximum dialogue i dont know what to say other than they're not living their best lives

my one critique of this game is there's not nearly enough funny dialogue for shoving your lawyer's badge lawyer's armband in everyone's face, all the time

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Yinlock posted:

that entire location rules. someone help ryunosuke, he is surrounded by ghosts and demons

Did you know that the bathtub is actually completely unrelated to the crime?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Christ on a cracker the defendant in G2-3 is an absolute moron.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

2-3 Jury why do you have a gun

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Amppelix posted:

I guess this might be what got you both, but honestly i thought something being up with gregson was so blatantly obvious by that point i just assumed him blatantly ignoring the guy was related and part of the mystery (as, indeed, it turned out to be)

Oh no, I play the games that way, too, I'm not a freak. In fact, another issue I have with that case is that there's an area where you can examine all the plot critical elements and the story progresses without letting you look at the rest of the background. You can examine it later, but at that point you're visiting without Sholmes and I will never know what two lines of dialogue he'd have about that door, and it haunts me.

I think more specifically my beef was that I eventually did catch on to the fact that Gregson was being shady, but I did so much, much earlier than Naruhodo did. That's pretty standard for Ace Attorney, but this game has been pretty good about Naruhodo either saying "ok I have an idea of what's going on but I need to prove it" or straight up accusing a witness of murder as soon as they take the stand. Like every other time I have been way ahead of him on the plot, it's been because I've recognized the trope, which I can't really hold against him, but I think he should've gone for Gregson's throat far earlier in that case.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Amppelix posted:

I'm also one of those players, but oops his dialogue is also super boring besides The Victory Wiggle

e: that might contribute as to why I felt it dragged on, because everything about him is just suuuuper dry

it doesn't help that he's next to the skulkin bros who are hilarious

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 14, 2021

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

2-1:
Really? "No Nobel for attempted chemistry" used straight up without a trace of self awareness?
I'm only going to believe Brett is dead when the credits start rolling. If she is though, major prop to the writers.
Susato :3:

Really strong start to the second game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Yinlock posted:

I'm also one of those players, but oops his dialogue is also super boring besides The Victory Wiggle

e: that might contribute as to why I felt it dragged on, because everything about him is just suuuuper dry

it doesn't help that he's next to the skulkin bros who are hilarious

I personally found the dichotomy between ultra-dry Grayson and the Skulkin Brothers extremely hilarious.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

I personally found the dichotomy between ultra-dry Grayson and the Skulkin Brothers extremely hilarious.
I'll admit, "Your honor, please don't lump me in with these two hooligans...." got a laugh out of me

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

1-5 You don't actually ever have to do any stereoscope stuff, at least in the Switch version. Whenever it comes up, you can always just ask the game to merge the pictures for you. It's a touch I very much appreciated as someone without stereoscopic vision.

1-5 To be clear, I know you don't *need* to. I clearly made it through the game perfectly fine. But I played the fan translation and was able to the the stereoscopic stuff on my own then. It was frustrating not being able to do it again on my second playthrough.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

2-3 Albert, I'm trying to help you here!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i said this before but i'm listening to it again and god drat if this isn't the best piece of music in the entire series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbTd0UVvmMI
no spoilers in the thumbnail or name or anything but i'm not embedding it anyway just in case. it plays for the first time at the end of 2-3.

when this came on the moment was so powerful!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mr. Asman

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Few things are more frustrating than when you have to present something to someone in investigation mode, but the game is being extremely coy about what.

ie, in 2-4: "Okay, Kazuma is rejecting all evidence because he's the prosecutor, maybe I'll go mess around elsewhere. Oh hey, I just got [The Asogi Papers], that's gotta be it- no, no that's still rejected. What the gently caress does he want? ...What do you mean he wants the autopsy report??? That wasn't even MENTIONED in this conversation!!! :argh:"

Anyways, Story Mode is a very useful feature. Wish it wouldn't disable accolades, though.

Amppelix posted:

i said this before but i'm listening to it again and god drat if this isn't the best piece of music in the entire series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbTd0UVvmMI
no spoilers in the thumbnail or name or anything but i'm not embedding it anyway just in case. it plays for the first time at the end of 2-3.

when this came on the moment was so powerful!
This entire soundtrack has been stellar, but I'm personally quite fond of E.D.'s theme from 2-3.

e: mid 2-4 spoilers: "Apparently, one of my father's apprentices even took the blade's name for a surname." "Really? Karuma... It does sound formidable, that's for sure."
This is the kinda thing which was probably incredibly obvious in japanese but it didn't even occur to me until it got pointed out just now!! that's such a neat reference, this game's great

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 15, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

2-3 Albert, I'm trying to help you here!

ALBERT, YOU'RE UNDER SUSPICION OF MURDER, MAN. gently caress YOUR HYPOTHESIS!

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Question I forgot about 1-3: What happens if you say McGilded could still be guilty at the end of the chapter?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

thehoodie posted:

Question I forgot about 1-3: What happens if you say McGilded could still be guilty at the end of the chapter?

I did, it doesn't really change things. To my recollection the judge just waves it off because the jury is unanimous for "not guilty."

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Arist posted:

I did, it doesn't really change things. To my recollection the judge just waves it off because the jury is unanimous for "not guilty."

Spoilers for the first game in general: I thought it would have been really cool if your actions here in 1-3 ended up materially affecting what happened in 1-5; if everyone’s opinion of you was more positive if you’d openly said McGilded might have perverted the course of justice through falsifying evidence

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

thehoodie posted:

McGilded yells at you, van Zieks mildly acknowledges you, and the judge goes "uh that's new, but anyways, the prosecution's case doesn't hold up and I will acquit without jury input." I had no idea the game would even acknowledge the other option; I assumed it was one of those "(I can't say it! I need to speak up here) -> go to option A" fake choices. What happens if you push for a not guilty verdict?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

The dance of deduction in 2-4 is probably the best one in the game, this is so great :allears:

thehoodie posted:

It's sort of glossed over in that case, but one difference is that Barok doesn't use lawyer-speak to call you a shameless, bald-faced liar; which he does if you call him innocent despite the trial being shady as all hell.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I don't see any way in how this game could possibly end in a satisfactory manner. At this point in the game, there's so much unanswered stuff, even by the standards of an Ace Attorney game, that answering every last thing in the final case seems very unlikely without extremely bloating it like a Yamazaki case, and the pacing so far has been too slow to really make this feel like the last part of the game. Kind of feels like it's the opening act, still with all the setup going on.

Is what I would say if this was the initial 3DS release of game 1. Fortunately now it's a moot point with both games being released as 1, and makes more sense if this is part 5 out of 10 instead of say, part 5 out of 5 back then. I have to wonder how this game went down with the audience, because I don't remember this being billed as a 2 parter when the first game released on the 3DS.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Araxxor posted:

I don't see any way in how this game could possibly end in a satisfactory manner. At this point in the game, there's so much unanswered stuff, even by the standards of an Ace Attorney game, that answering every last thing in the final case seems very unlikely without extremely bloating it like a Yamazaki case, and the pacing so far has been too slow to really make this feel like the last part of the game. Kind of feels like it's the opening act, still with all the setup going on.

Is what I would say if this was the initial 3DS release of game 1. Fortunately now it's a moot point with both games being released as 1, and makes more sense if this is part 5 out of 10 instead of say, part 5 out of 5 back then. I have to wonder how this game went down with the audience, because I don't remember this being billed as a 2 parter when the first game released on the 3DS.

I definitely remember hearing rumblings that people were dissatisfied with it.

Honestly though, since I experienced exactly that with the fan translation it's not THAT bad. Way better to play it as one 10 part game though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

2-3 Hey is the jury actually in my corner for once

E: ALBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERT

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 15, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

1-5 Oh god magic eye poo poo why

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

I never got the pun until I read it in this thread because my extremely intelligent and sophisticated brain stopped at "lol rear end man"

Waffleman_ posted:

2-3 Hey is the jury actually in my corner for once

E: ALBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERT

Opposite Day was fun while it lasted

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Holy poo poo the 1-5 jury. I burst out laughing for a bit.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Araxxor posted:

Holy poo poo the 1-5 jury. I burst out laughing for a bit.

he is wisiting tourist. please give directions to crystal tower.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

(1-5) Oh my god what are the Mario Bros. doing in court?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Araxxor posted:

(1-5) Oh my god what are the Mario Bros. doing in court?

being Cockney Elementals, mostly

e: this also raises an important and complex philosophical question: is gregson wario or waluigi here?

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Aug 15, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

I definitely remember hearing rumblings that people were dissatisfied with it.

Honestly though, since I experienced exactly that with the fan translation it's not THAT bad. Way better to play it as one 10 part game though.
I mean, you experienced it with the fan tl knowing a second game was coming. In Japan, there was basically no guarantee that there would be a sequel. One was not immediately announced or promised. The first game obviously plants sequel hooks, of course, but it also did not sell very well. Shu Takumi had to argue with Capcom a ton to get one greenlit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yinlock posted:

being Cockney Elementals, mostly

e: this also raises an important and complex philosophical question: is gregson wario or waluigi here?

Ringo is Wario, Nash is Waluigi, and Gregson is Luigi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Ringo is Wario, Nash is Waluigi, and Gregson is Luigi

"the witness clearly claimed "i'ma gonna win" and yet was hit by a blue shell at the end of lap 3"