Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

Ashamed to say that I still haven't copied your X-Touch mini setup yet. I was googling frantically for the differences between minute versions of it and then got distracted by life. My preferred setup is pretty much what you have right now (we have the same pedals, and I need an easy-to-stow solution as well).

I've been meaning to make an update and post some of my other templates on to flightsim.to but frankly I burnt out super hard with all the stupid questions and demands, just from posting my original G1000.

Not the folks here, mind you. But the official forums and the users of flightsim.to are generally so out to goddamn lunch and I just can't handle it. I have no idea how people who make actual mods do it. The guy who makes the da62 and da40 mods is awesome - has a short fuse when dealing with fools and I really like that about him.

Anyways, the template and scripts I made for the Piper Arrow is probably my best and most useable one yet....except I had a stoner moment and got the labels mixed up for the AP coupler :saddumb:

And then SU5 broke some stuff and on and on....

One of these days I'll clean things up and post them up to flightsim.to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I upgraded my graphics card and now that I can play MSFS in VR I'm afraid I won't do anything ever again. I spent like an hour today over LA in an ultralight just listening to podcasts and feeling my brain vibrate

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

sum posted:

I upgraded my graphics card and now that I can play MSFS in VR I'm afraid I won't do anything ever again. I spent like an hour today over LA in an ultralight just listening to podcasts and feeling my brain vibrate

Hey can you provide your VR and GFX specs please? I'm putting together a gaming PC and what damage could more social isolation possibly do?

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Inner Light posted:

Hey can you provide your VR and GFX specs please? I'm putting together a gaming PC and what damage could more social isolation possibly do?

I've got a Ryzen 5 3600, 16 GB of memory and the GPU I just installed is a 3060 Ti. I've only had it installed for about a day but it seems good enough to run MSFS on medium quality in VR (I use an Oculus Rift so the resolution is pretty poor compared to other HMD's, I think it's fine though). I was only able to get the graphics card at a reasonable price because I was on a waiting list (well, actually my brother, but whatever) for several months though, through resellers it'll probably be $$$

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:lmao:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 15, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I am going to loving fight the person who made the Landing Tutorial scoring because I am to be VERY FRANK doing this PERFECTLY and I absolutely can not ever score an A rank.

I don't know WHY I care about getting a 100% mastery of the training flights but I DO and I CAN'T and I want to SET MYSELF ON FIRE

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I sort of like the landing challenges. I actually get A's on most of the GA planes - that particular one was the windy approach at Southhampton in the Extra 300. I floated way past the threshhold and kept oscillating up and down. It was truly awful and surprised I didn't crash/ground loop it or something.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Squiggle posted:

I am going to loving fight the person who made the Landing Tutorial scoring because I am to be VERY FRANK doing this PERFECTLY and I absolutely can not ever score an A rank.

I don't know WHY I care about getting a 100% mastery of the training flights but I DO and I CAN'T and I want to SET MYSELF ON FIRE

The landing challenges kind of bug me because they're ranking you on things that don't matter that much in real life. Yeah it's nice to land on the numbers and minimize rollout, but as long as you don't run out of runway you're doing fine. And yeah a 0fpm touchdown is a big flex and earns you swinging dick points, but the gear is designed to handle some pretty severe bumps and there's nothing inherently wrong with a firm landing.

If I were writing those challenges, I would set it up so that you get points:

- for being precisely on the centerline, since that matters quite a lot when you have a narrow runway

- for having the nose pointing in the direction of flight and not landing even the slightest bit crossed up, since that's how you blow tires or flip the plane over

- for having the correct landing attitude, since landing flat in a tricycle gear plane can break the nose wheel

- for correctly executing crosswind corrections all the way through the landing and roll out, so that you land on the upwind wheel first and stay perfectly locked on the center line until you're stopped

:spergin:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I was sorely disappointed because I put in the time to get an A on all the landing challenges and didn't get an achievement for it :(

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I am oversteering way more often with a yoke than I was with a joystick. This is gonna take some getting used to. Can you adjust the honeycomb to be stiffer? I think part of the problem is that I can't "feel" the center point as easily.

edit: also i thought i was gonna forget about my lights less often now that i have dedicated, labeled switches for them on my controller. but lol, just did a whole flight with taxi lights on

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Aug 15, 2021

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Can’t find any drat animals. Looks like the poachers got em.

Gonna try flying over Los Angeles and San Diego Zoo.

And the area where Timothy Treadwell got eaten by the grizzly bear.

I love this game.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

ChocNitty posted:

Can’t find any drat animals. Looks like the poachers got em.

Gonna try flying over Los Angeles and San Diego Zoo.

And the area where Timothy Treadwell got eaten by the grizzly bear.

I love this game.

1. World map
2. Search bar (the one on the left, not the one for departure)
3. Type animal or fauna

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

So are there any programs to automatically create layout.json and manifest.json files when creating MSFS scenery? None of the guides I've used have mentioned that I need either of these files, but when I go to build and export the scenery it keeps yelling at me that the files are missing, so it never finishes building.

I'm also wondering if I've just setup the directory structures entirely wrong.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 17, 2021

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I was supposed to be yoke'ing it up this weekend but the FedEx shipment just sort of disappeared after leaving Kentucky and never reported landing anywhere. :cripes:

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

This was a really cool thing to stumble onto after jumping to the airport:

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/f44ce8cae70f428094c8758ff87e49cb

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

the alpha is a lost cause, but i think i might actually find enough contrived productivity uses for the bravo to keep it on the desk full-time--scrolling with the trim wheel is already extremely good :flashfact:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

UnknownTarget posted:

This was a really cool thing to stumble onto after jumping to the airport:

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/f44ce8cae70f428094c8758ff87e49cb

This is awesome. Did you just get curious and splice in that window or is that some addition? I would love an addon that let me go "Hey where's that random AI traffic going," now that I see that.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That’s just a screengrab from FlightAware.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Hey guys, whats the best program for a career mode of sorts at the moment for MFS?

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

TescoBag posted:

Hey guys, whats the best program for a career mode of sorts at the moment for MFS?

Sort of depends on what you want out of a career mode, here's my experience with the ones I've tried.

My favorite recommendation is Neofly. It's the most feature complete and it's totally free, which is hard to sneeze at.
-Pros: Free, lots of features, actively supported
-Cons: Moderate UI learning curve

Another option with a lot of promise is Skypark. I can't recommend it right now though, the features don't really justify the price yet.
-Pros: Extremely user friendly, slick UI, easy to jump in
-Cons: Pricy (~$30US), early access, very shallow career mode features at this stage

Tons of goons also play or played OnAir. It's the option with server-based multiplayer if you're into that.
-Pros: Very feature rich, server-based w/ multiplayer airline companies
-Cons: Pricy subscription model, any fun or successful strategies will be nerfed immediately

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

I haven't used it, but there's Neofly: https://www.neofly.net/

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Neofly good (completing his millionth hour of tubeliner flying because of make number in neofly go up)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I also like NeoFly and am considering kicking the guy the 20 bucks to have little fire trucks and ambulances show up when I land my Cessna 208 "air ambulance" on the highway :coolslime:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Ok, so I imagine someone here can explain this to me about flight 2020. With the new update and the release on xbox, they now have the flight assistant menu. I cannot find a setting in the main assistance menus in the game that toggles the main, basic, AI Piloting switch that's in the flight assistant menu. Is there seriously like not a toggle in those menus? Because I switched on the AI during a flight, then when I started the new flight the AI is still switched on. There's no choice to switch it off before the flight, and I don't want the ai to start taxiing down the runway before I can switch it off. I was able to get it switched off by running a flight, switching it off and then exiting the game and relaunching it, but that doesn't seem to always work consistently.

It's a great game when it works right but just.. there are such basic things about it that are so jank. If you d/c a controller while you're in the controls menu, you softlock the game completely. Why is there no easily accessible toggle for the ai piloting on/ off state on the main assistance menu? Why is there no ability to remap (or even map) the resume button from the pause menu? And so on. But realy though, how do you toggle the global ai setting so the plane doesn't just do whatever? Last time I tried to use the ai like a cruise control, and it turned back around and headed back to the origin for some reason. :shrug: I just want to fly around

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Broken Machine posted:

Ok, so I imagine someone here can explain this to me about flight 2020. With the new update and the release on xbox, they now have the flight assistant menu. I cannot find a setting in the main assistance menus in the game that toggles the main, basic, AI Piloting switch that's in the flight assistant menu. Is there seriously like not a toggle in those menus? Because I switched on the AI during a flight, then when I started the new flight the AI is still switched on. There's no choice to switch it off before the flight, and I don't want the ai to start taxiing down the runway before I can switch it off. I was able to get it switched off by running a flight, switching it off and then exiting the game and relaunching it, but that doesn't seem to always work consistently.

It's a great game when it works right but just.. there are such basic things about it that are so jank. If you d/c a controller while you're in the controls menu, you softlock the game completely. Why is there no easily accessible toggle for the ai piloting on/ off state on the main assistance menu? Why is there no ability to remap (or even map) the resume button from the pause menu? And so on. But realy though, how do you toggle the global ai setting so the plane doesn't just do whatever? Last time I tried to use the ai like a cruise control, and it turned back around and headed back to the origin for some reason. :shrug: I just want to fly around

Isn't the AI setting used to follow your flight plan? If you don't have a plan it will probably go wonky. Best way to fly casually is turn on the autopilot in the plane and set it to HDG mode and steer by controlling the heading.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

lobsterminator posted:

Isn't the AI setting used to follow your flight plan? If you don't have a plan it will probably go wonky. Best way to fly casually is turn on the autopilot in the plane and set it to HDG mode and steer by controlling the heading.

Thank you lobsterminator, that gives me enough to be able to use the autopilot like a cruise control like I'd wanted, cheers for that. Have you also by chance figured out a way to make it start a flight with the main autopilot on / off toggle switched off? Because I'm not seeing a consistent way to set it to autopilot off (like you see when you look at the Flight Assistant menu, the top AI toggle on the list) from the menus. Or even a setting for it in the menus at all.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

You're asking about the software assistance MSFS offers to automatically manage parts of the simulation, and not the labor-saving tools built into the aircraft called "autopilot" that is being simulated, right? Your autopilot (the device built into the airplane which the pilot can program to follow a heading, hold an altitude, etc.) should always start disengaged and is turned on and off with the Z key by default (assuming the aircraft you're flying has an autopilot equipped).

The software assistance I don't have familiarity with; is the issue that you still want access to that for parts of the flight, but not for others? Some menuing may be entailed :shrug:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Broken Machine posted:

Thank you lobsterminator, that gives me enough to be able to use the autopilot like a cruise control like I'd wanted, cheers for that. Have you also by chance figured out a way to make it start a flight with the main autopilot on / off toggle switched off? Because I'm not seeing a consistent way to set it to autopilot off (like you see when you look at the Flight Assistant menu, the top AI toggle on the list) from the menus. Or even a setting for it in the menus at all.

What airplane are you using?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Lord Stimperor posted:

What airplane are you using?

I've had this happen in both the Icon A5, and the Boeing 747-8. I launch the flight after selecting a takeoff airport and destination, with all the selectable AI sliders in the main assistance menu switched off, aside from comms. The main, top toggle switch for the AI in the Flight Assistant menu is still on, which is what causes the issue, that switch being on, that only seems to exist in that menu. I usually just switch on the ai and have it taxi after landing at the end of the flight. Having it auto takeoff right after I select start is a pretty obnoxious bug / feature.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

HookedOnChthonics posted:

The software assistance I don't have familiarity with; is the issue that you still want access to that for parts of the flight, but not for others? Some menuing may be entailed :shrug:

The software assistance feature is what I'm asking about, yes. This is the crux of the issue; there *is*, or at least appears to be, no menu seting for this, aside from in the Flight Assistant menu, that you can't access when you're not in the middle of a flight. If there is a toggle for it I cannot find it searching by name from the list or see it in the menu.

It's a shame the ai doesn't work better, to where it could simulate perfect landings for you or w/e. It's ok though, think I should be able to figure out how to cruise control w/ it now w/ the help thanks.

The menu thing w/ the Flight Assistant though, and the Resume button being unmappable on a controller (where it worked perfectly before) .. jeez

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think I understand what your issue is, and a mapped keypress would be nice I guess, but I am not quite sure I understand why although I must confess I think I only used it once and that was by accident.

If you just have it "off" all the time it takes you 2 mouse clicks to engage it and you don't have the AI trying to take off immediately as soon as you fire it up. Land, turn off, good to go for next game.

Or am I missing something super obvious here?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

slidebite posted:

I think I understand what your issue is, and a mapped keypress would be nice I guess, but I am not quite sure I understand why although I must confess I think I only used it once and that was by accident.

If you just have it "off" all the time it takes you 2 mouse clicks to engage it and you don't have the AI trying to take off immediately as soon as you fire it up. Land, turn off, good to go for next game.

Or am I missing something super obvious here?

Yes, you're missing something super obvious. The game doesn't actually respect that it's in an off state for the next flight, and switches the ai back on. There is no toggle for that, outside of the menu during the flight. The ai starts in control immediately starts to take off, which is basically the opposite of what I would like.

Having the ai manage comms, and having the autopilot adjust the rudder, and unlimited fuel is basically what I have on as far as assistance. Casual mode basically I suppose

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I was watching one of my favorite Twitch streamers yesterday and he was flying around in a "MARIO NORIEGA DESIGNS - CAPRONI-VIZZOLA C-22J VENTURA MSFS" which is an FSX/P3D payware plane that was converted for MSFS 2020. It's basically a Glider with 2 TRS-18 turbojets strapped on, all steam gauges, no GPS, no AP.

The plane is only :10bux: on SimMarket and is probably my new go to for VFR flights. My only knock is that the textures are somewhat dated, which is probably due to it's FSX/P3D origins.

Edit: I realize this sounds like an ad but the plane is a real blast to fly. There's a surprising amount of substance to it, especially at the price point it's at.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 24, 2021

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Broken Machine posted:

Yes, you're missing something super obvious. The game doesn't actually respect that it's in an off state for the next flight, and switches the ai back on. There is no toggle for that, outside of the menu during the flight. The ai starts in control immediately starts to take off, which is basically the opposite of what I would like.

Having the ai manage comms, and having the autopilot adjust the rudder, and unlimited fuel is basically what I have on as far as assistance. Casual mode basically I suppose
Huh, that's odd. I re-read your posts so I think I understand now.

Do you have the sub-selections all off too and it re-activates them every flight?

Just an idea, but can you complete a short flight with your AI off, after you land switch off the battery/power so the sim tells the flight is complete and logs the hours, and then see if it replicates?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

slidebite posted:

Just an idea, but can you complete a short flight with your AI off, after you land switch off the battery/power so the sim tells the flight is complete and logs the hours, and then see if it replicates?

Yes indeed, it does replicate when you do that I tested it earlier. You can switch off all the subsections (aside from comms, I leave that on bc I can't be bothered) and it's still present. If I knew a consistent way to get the setting I want to stick I would do that. The merry prankster :shrug: I'm getting right now is just making me not want to use the cruise control at all for a while, while they sort their poo poo out.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
The normal behavior is that it remembers your last setting (how you ended the previous flight). Sounds like you’re experiencing a bug.

:smith:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Maybe there's a user preference file that's read-only for some stupid reason that if you deleted would be recreated anew? Because what you're experiencing is very much not how it's supposed to work, nor indeed how it works for me.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Squiggle posted:

Maybe there's a user preference file that's read-only for some stupid reason that if you deleted would be recreated anew? Because what you're experiencing is very much not how it's supposed to work, nor indeed how it works for me.

Yeah idk, normally software companies attempt to include settings that are easily accessible, and ideally they do regression testing and usability testing, test with common hardware and common failure cases etc. They haven't really done that here so far, and now that the xbox version is out this one will be a lower priority I'd expect. Honestly it's about exactly what I'd expected.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Broken Machine posted:

AI managed comms is more trouble than its worth now.

*turns on battery*

"SKOOMA 1-1 Requesting pushback"

I don't remember asking you a goddamn thing. Also this is GA parking and this is a Cessna, chill out.

Also fun to select an airport for landing just to be jumped over so the AI can request the wrong runway. Like 80% of my issues with the assist would go away if they made pushback and landing requests 100% pilot discretion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Anyone still playing on air? I do thunder because I hate having fun.