Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

The bad sign talk reminds me of the one Eric Andre found and worked into his Legalize Everything standup special.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ericandre/comments/das6u3/saw_a_lot_of_people_asking_for_the_bad/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

God I want

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I saw this when I went to Vietnam two years ago and I often regret not buying it

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

low key sex master posted:

I saw this when I went to Vietnam two years ago and I often regret not buying it

Dear god it's like talking to me when I'm wine drunk.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Literally A Person posted:

Dear god it's like talking to me when I'm wine drunk.

A slick
Revealing
Clear
No privacy
Honest
Grocery Bag
???????????

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Domus posted:

A slick
Revealing
Clear
No privacy
Honest
Grocery Bag
???????????

Sleek, not slick.

All I can parse on that last line is something about a vinyl nerve, which... that doesn't even words.

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

low key sex master posted:

I did a little googling and apparently it's a bootleg of this bag.

The top line is "It was never meant to be a vinyl bag" so i guess that's where the last line of the knock off comes from.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I found this in a Facebook group for online scams. This person bought a 2TB SSD for dirt cheap. When he tries using it, the transfer speed is hella slow and it fills up after several gigs. He opens it up and found a 16gb USB drive with metal weights inside. Somehow whoever made this managed to make the drive show up as 2TB when connected to a PC.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Yeah that's a scam that's been going on for years. There's a way to mess with the firmware on a USB drive to report a false size, it's a way for unscrupulous suppliers to get rid of small USB drives that aren't worth anything anymore. Never buy a drive from an untrustworthy source.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They pull that trick with sd cards all the time. Tons of listings for 512gb and 1tb cards on amazon for less than 30 bucks

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

flavor.flv posted:

They pull that trick with sd cards all the time. Tons of listings for 512gb and 1tb cards on amazon for less than 30 bucks

And if they're shipped from Amazon they're apparently stored in the same spot as the legit ones. So even if you're buying a 512gb SanDisk shipped and sold by Amazon you might end up with a smaller one

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Hardcordion posted:

I did a little googling and apparently it's a bootleg of this bag.

The top line is "It was never meant to be a vinyl bag" so i guess that's where the last line of the knock off comes from.

Ohhhhhhh poo poo! :hfive:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The MSJ posted:

I found this in a Facebook group for online scams. This person bought a 2TB SSD for dirt cheap. When he tries using it, the transfer speed is hella slow and it fills up after several gigs. He opens it up and found a 16gb USB drive with metal weights inside. Somehow whoever made this managed to make the drive show up as 2TB when connected to a PC.

Basically a USB drive has two parts, a controller that tells the computer what the storage capacity is (along with other things) and the actual storage. The problem is that the controller has no way to actually verify the amount of storage and instead just uses whatever it is told. So scammers can just adjust that and the system will say whatever they want it to.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

This scam has been going on long enough to be considered retro by now

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s such an old scam the real drive they use now probably has a larger capacity than the hard disk the original pretended to be.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The best ones are the ones where when you run out of real space it start overwriting stuff you've already put on!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Len posted:

And if they're shipped from Amazon they're apparently stored in the same spot as the legit ones. So even if you're buying a 512gb SanDisk shipped and sold by Amazon you might end up with a smaller one

If someone uses Amazon they deserve to be scammed.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

DoombatINC posted:

This scam has been going on long enough to be considered retro by now

Ah, nuts.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Is that where the gigabytes are stored?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hey guys, remember EvilStick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcnx_nYnC1w

LOL this brought back some memories of my younger days on the Internet.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I love the off-model drawings on those old VHS cartoon compilations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Pastry of the Year posted:

I love the off-model drawings on those old VHS cartoon compilations.

There's a place I used to pass on the way to work that had a sign up advertising Karaoke. Except for some reason it was somebody's drawing of Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble holding microphones and just said "Karaoke" on top. It's actually more or less on model, except Barney's outfit and Fred's tie are green, and the microphones are modern ones and not y'know, rocks and sticks.

Also, why the Flintstones? It's like the person they got to paint the sign could draw them and only them, so that's what they went with.

Street View isn't up to date, so I can't get a picture of it unfortunately.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TVs Ian posted:

There's a place I used to pass on the way to work that had a sign up advertising Karaoke. Except for some reason it was somebody's drawing of Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble holding microphones and just said "Karaoke" on top. It's actually more or less on model, except Barney's outfit and Fred's tie are green, and the microphones are modern ones and not y'know, rocks and sticks.

Also, why the Flintstones?

So customers know they can sing rock music.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I could read about (although not play) these knock-off mobile games and their reviews all day

CallMeKevin's played some on his channel, too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GujK7VLDpac

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Vinny Vinesauce has also delved into the realm of Amazing Rope Hero and Friends quite a few times. I also remembered I grabbed this screencap from him playing a ripoff Pokemon game, which I titled "maximumirony.png"

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

DemonTrigger posted:

Vinny Vinesauce has also delved into the realm of Amazing Rope Hero and Friends quite a few times. I also remembered I grabbed this screencap from him playing a ripoff Pokemon game, which I titled "maximumirony.png"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh god that Shamwow one got me good :laffo:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

For a shirt called Everything, they're missing a Z.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

How many of these are intentional now because stuff like this is popular on Instagram or whatever?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

BigFactory posted:

How many of these are intentional now because stuff like this is popular on Instagram or whatever?

I'd put money on Shamwow and Sweet Rabbit being intentional. You Areablessing is horrible-OCR'd enough to be undeniably legit, and the Gbic Mac and Everything are kind of up in the air.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

KataraniSword posted:

I'd put money on Shamwow and Sweet Rabbit being intentional.

Almost -- they were going for "Shammgod" but screwed it up.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yeah sweet rabbit is definitely a reference to Thor calling him a rabbit all the time.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

It was bound to happen... Somone on reddit found the perfect Gacha Game.

Presenting Grand Honkai Sword Impact 3rd : Anime Games!

The Strongest Heroin Anime RPG Game of 2021.

The grand adventure to search for ‘Exestruk’, the missing sword of the emperor, and the curse of the ancient dragon!
Face the evil forces threatening the peace of the Exos Continent!
Welcome to the mystical fantasy land where Airships roam the sky.
Become the Airship captain and feel the vast world!
Join the ancient dragon Bitru and treasure hunter Zeon in this original RPG
Experience this fascinating story unfold before your eyes.

An action packed adventure in the world of My Hero Academia at your fingertips! Be the hero you always wanted to be from the hit anime, take powerful quirks into battle, and fight against villains alongside other players!

BE THE HERO
Control the likes of All Might, Bakugo, Todoroki, and many others in high octane combat through a myriad of stages. Accept missions from pro heroes ranging from protecting people, arresting criminals, to rescuing cats! Become a symbol of peace for the bustling city!

WHAT'S NEW
Anime Lord of Heroes RPG Simulator game of 2012, Dragon Raja Fight Mod

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

I've never understood why they don't just pay a random foreigner $50 to go through their text, or even just check it themselves if it's a straight copy. It must affect the value of the product, are margins really that razor thin?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oh yeah, they are. The play store is so stuffed with garbage you have to put out five games a day in hopes that some idiot kid with his mom's phone stumbles onto one of them. The descriptions aren't even badly translated anymore, they're straight up ai generated

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, all of these knock-off mobile games are just a random collection of gameplay concepts and buzzwords. They might as well be AI-generated themselves at this point. It's insane just how many of them there are, and I can't imagine 90% of them are able to make a profit at all, even with the near-zero effort put into them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

I mean physical products as well though. You have "research", labour, materials, factories all being paid for that might produce an acceptable item and then devaluing sometimes almost entirely by covering it in indecipherable crap which either ruins trust with crappy packaging or destroys the actual visuals of the item.