Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

the voy equinox episodes were quite interesting. usually the shows depict the starfleet as idealistic and righteous, but these kinds of episodes makes the organization and the people in it seem more realistic. ofc if some show followed only an immoral crew instead of the normal set, it would wouldn't be proper star trek, nor a good show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
They made Battlestar Galactica in 2004 and it was fine. We don't need to make it a third time with a Star Trek brand on it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

infernal machines posted:

They made Battlestar Galactica in 2004 and it was fine. We don't need to make it a third time with a Star Trek brand on it.

been ages since i last watched it, and i can't remember much from it. but i don't recall it being particularly good. now that i think of it, it was quite voyager-like, but without the doctor and captain proton

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The BSG miniseries and a few select episodes were excellent but that show would never hold up if you tried to broadcast it today

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

punishedkissinger posted:

The BSG miniseries and a few select episodes were excellent but that show would never hold up if you tried to broadcast it today

wasn't it very ham-handedly telling about the iraq war or something?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ChubbyChecker posted:

It was an American made television show in the mid-2000s, so yes

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Exodus Part 2 is still one of the best episodes of action scifi I have ever seen. Just so good from start to finish.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

ChubbyChecker posted:

There was a minor plot arc where the humans were cast as Muslim terrorists and the cylons as the invading US military but they dropped it real quick. I didn't get the overall impression from the whole show that it was about US foreign policy beyond a whole lotta cultural poo poo just unintentionally leaking in around the edges. If anything, it owes a lot more to the Manchurian Candidate than anything.

In fact, a big part of the problem with the show was that it pretended to have something really interesting to say and a compelling mystery at the heart of it, but spoiler alert, it doesn't have either.

It was willing to go a step grittier than other shows at the time, but it's quite pedestrian now. Taking it out of its cultural context, all that's left is a decent but not great scifi show that ends in a gigantic wet fart of a reveal.

Seriously, it's right up there with Lost and Game of Thrones for dumbest final wrap-ups for shows that had really promising setups.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sweet geek swag posted:

Exodus Part 2 is still one of the best episodes of action scifi I have ever seen. Just so good from start to finish.

loving Lee Adama making the dumbest move ever by wasting the Pegasus.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It was an incredible example of mystery box writing, so while many individual episodes were pretty good, the show as a whole was considerably less than the sum of its parts*. It was also lovely people being lovely to each other, in space, which is why I referenced it in relation to a more "realistic" portrayal of Star Fleet

*They had the gall to use the tagline "And they have a plan" for three seasons until even the writers had to admit that no, they did not.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I loving hate Lee Adama and anyone like him

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

loving Lee Adama making the dumbest move ever by wasting the Pegasus.

the only set they had for the pegasus was recycled from an aborted lost in space relaunch. they either had to spend a bunch of money making more sets or get rid of it, and they chose the latter.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

starfleet members loving The Alamo really cements my feeling that they are the bottom of the barrel of Federation citizens

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Americans

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
us history education is based on avoiding the topic of us history as much as possible.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I get Obrien and Bashir wanting to fight the Battle of Britain, but being massacred for nothing more than a colonizing slave state????

MrTargetPractice
Mar 17, 2004

I will never forgive BSG for ruining Stargate; Universe

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I get Obrien and Bashir wanting to fight the Battle of Britain, but being massacred for nothing more than a colonizing slave state????

wasn't that the first thing they did when they retook the station? why would you want to do that after a terrible battle? tens of thousands must have died when their ships exploded based on what we see onscreen at the least.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

obviously "the alamo" is actually incredibly hot gay sex in quark's virtual bath house

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mulaney Power Move posted:

obviously "the alamo" is actually incredibly hot gay sex in quark's virtual bath house

Building an elaborate miniature model to gameplan my sex

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you haven't lived unless you've hosed a holographic jim bowie with your best bud

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

you haven't lived unless you've hosed a holographic jim bowie with your best bud

I read this as David Bowie and agreed.

Also I’m sad Bowie never made a Trek appearance. At least we got Iggy Pop.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

bashir told odo they had a spitfire cockpit waiting for him if he ever wanted to join

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

HD DAD posted:

And then they’re all proven right in the episode where the inventor’s son is trapped in an eternal dimensionless half-existence

wait what

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mulaney Power Move posted:

bashir told odo they had a spitfire cockpit waiting for him if he ever wanted to join

Gotta be a spitfire you really don't want to swallow when Odo's involved

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

ENT season 4, “Daedalus”. It’s a good ep.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

They probably don't even care very much about the centuries-old historical backdrop, they're just playing games. One of their favorites is a fiendishly hard tower defense, another is a super-fun combat flight sim.

Like if you play a medieval war game, no one will give you poo poo for being the Plantagenets or whoever

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Like if you play a medieval war game, no one will give you poo poo for being the Plantagenets or whoever

Or playing Axis in RTCW

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

infernal machines posted:

Or playing Axis in RTCW

Axis has the best tanks.

That being said I will look at you askance if you're on of those guys who always plays Axis and has an iron cross as your avatar and a bunch of Rommel quotes in your profile.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Worf specifically talks about how much of a badass Davie Crockett was. They clearly have some messed up politics

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Applewhite posted:

Axis has the best tanks.

That being said I will look at you askance if you're on of those guys who always plays Axis and has an iron cross as your avatar and a bunch of Rommel quotes in your profile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiLVAz-Jczg

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Worf specifically talks about how much of a badass Davie Crockett was. They clearly have some messed up politics

I mean... thinking Davy Crockett is a badass is a majority opinion in the U.S. Most people don't really consider the historical context of the Alamo when they talk about it. This stuff is based on some flawed history, but I can't really blame the writers of DS9 for not knowing something the vast majority of Americans don't know.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

They probably don't even care very much about the centuries-old historical backdrop, they're just playing games. One of their favorites is a fiendishly hard tower defense, another is a super-fun combat flight sim.

But Sisko won’t cosplay Las Vegas because of systemic 20th century racism. Clearly conscientiousness is one of the things they look for in command level candidates.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

sweet geek swag posted:

I mean... thinking Davy Crockett is a badass is a majority opinion in the U.S. Most people don't really consider the historical context of the Alamo when they talk about it. This stuff is based on some flawed history, but I can't really blame the writers of DS9 for not knowing something the vast majority of Americans don't know.

It fits perfectly with the context of this episode though. O’brien and Bashir discuss the historical inaccuracies of Davy Crockett’s myth and Worf says that it doesn’t matter because the myth serves a greater purpose than the facts. Then that argument gets referred to later with Kor's last stand.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It's always hilarious when they accidentally make Star Trek too smart for Star Trek fans.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Automatic Slim posted:

It fits perfectly with the context of this episode though. O’brien and Bashir discuss the historical inaccuracies of Davy Crockett’s myth and Worf says that it doesn’t matter because the myth serves a greater purpose than the facts. Then that argument gets referred to later with Kor's last stand.

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
when you ennoble slavers via mythology then you eventually end up with hamilton. once again, worf is full of poo poo.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
heck, worf's entire problem with klingon culture is that he takes all the rhetoric and customs at face value instead of figuring out how things really work and why.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Automatic Slim posted:

This isn't really a commentary on the problematic aspects of Davy Crockett though. It's a commentary on the legendary aspect of Davy Crockett. They're saying "A lot of those tall tales about Davy Crocket weren't true," not "Davy Crockett was an imperialist who died defending slavery."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Automatic Slim posted:

But Sisko won’t cosplay Las Vegas because of systemic 20th century racism. Clearly conscientiousness is one of the things they look for in command level candidates.

I always assumed he was more aware of this and more bothered by it because of Far Beyond The Stars.