Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I am the only person that didn’t mind the original half-pipe in 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I liked it at the time, but it is rough to go back to after Taxman. Same with the Sonic 1 special stages, but not quite as bad.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The controls and mechanics are totally fine, my problem with it is iirc the last 2(?) stages are literally impossible pass via reactions to on your first try and require memorizing the several left-left-right-right-left-left-left patterns to win :shobon:

The best version of it will always and forever be Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn). I posted it a few weeks ago but I really love his cute lil hop and thumbs up while running full speed, but here's an alternate version of the two I made ...i love the space one and this sunset one

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

He was the best part of Space Force, which was a good show but it lost its relevance almost as fast as the thing they were mocking

space force sucked rear end dude

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I don't know if any of the half pipe special stages are bad (Heroes was full pipe, so it doesn't count). Sonic 2, 3D Blast Saturn, Rush, Episode 2, all pretty fun in their own way. It just feels like the right way to do a special stage, although I like a lot of the others too.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I have this really strange opinion in that for some reason in Sonic 4 Ep2 I really really hate watching them slow down and stop running when they get the emerald. It just feels wrong to me lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HM3JFD7qchE&t=60s

edit: pisssss this music is so bad :barf:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
people make fun of the spinball options music and chronicles' ost for being tossed together at the last minute but for my money sonic 4 has the worst music

re: halfpipes, i was pretty partial to sonic colors ds' take: it's all controlled via touch screen but sonic is as fast as your stylus and you can do cool flips by flicking him up into the edges. i think rush does this too? but i played that almost exclusively as blaze so idk

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Are the PS3 versions of Generations and Unleashed okay? I know that a lot of multiplatform games on there had issues compared to its 360 counterparts.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SeANMcBAY posted:

Are the PS3 versions of Generations and Unleashed okay? I know that a lot of multiplatform games on there had issues compared to its 360 counterparts.

Unleashed was bbbaaaaaad at launch, but I think a performance patch fixed most of the most egregious framerate issues.

Unleashed is a game desperately in need of a PC/Next Gen port.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Apart from some load times (though nothing near 06 level) I haven’t had any issues with the PS3 version of Generations. Not sure about Unleashed though

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Generations is perfectly fine on PS3, I didn’t have any issues with it back in the day.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sweet. I’ll probably get 06 on there too just for the hell of it.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Unleashed runs better on PS3 than 360. The reason why there was a perception otherwise was that the 360 version is capped at 30 fps and stays there most of the time while the PS3 version is uncapped but cannot hold 60. In the couple of places where they both poo poo the bed, the PS3 version is noticeably less bad.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

I went through Unleashed on ps3 and had a lot of trouble in the last few levels cause of load times and slowdown.

I got 100% completion on my 360 with Generations without issue but man, 60fps is the way to play the game if at all possible for you (my PC I built in 2008-2009 was able to get 1080p@60 without issues if you have access to anything like that. Also, for anyone with an Xbox One or Series X|S, Unleashed has backwards compat too and runs/looks great on it).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

beep by grandpa posted:

I went through Unleashed on ps3 and had a lot of trouble in the last few levels cause of load times and slowdown.

I got 100% completion on my 360 with Generations without issue but man, 60fps is the way to play the game if at all possible for you (my PC I built in 2008-2009 was able to get 1080p@60 without issues if you have access to anything like that. Also, for anyone with an Xbox One or Series X|S, Unleashed has backwards compat too and runs/looks great on it).

I have it and beaten it on PC already. Just wondering how good it is on PS3 since I just grabbed one for the metal gear series and might as well get some Sonics too.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

beep by grandpa posted:

The controls and mechanics are totally fine, my problem with it is iirc the last 2(?) stages are literally impossible pass via reactions to on your first try and require memorizing the several left-left-right-right-left-left-left patterns to win :shobon:

The best version of it will always and forever be Sonic 3D Blast (Saturn). I posted it a few weeks ago but I really love his cute lil hop and thumbs up while running full speed, but here's an alternate version of the two I made ...i love the space one and this sunset one

The special stages were the only good part of this game. I wish we were in an alternate future where I could lock 3D Blast onto something and get an infinite amount of these.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I got really drat good at the S3&K special stages and always sucked at the half pipes and I'm really sad the half pipe was the one that ended up getting latched on to

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I got really drat good at the S3&K special stages and always sucked at the half pipes and I'm really sad the half pipe was the one that ended up getting latched on to

Those are probably my favorite. I’m glad they came back in Mania. I’d rank them 3K>Mania>CD>1>2. The Dimps games all have terrible ones.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
A younger me played literally hundreds of Blue Sphere stages (Sonic 1 + Knuckles) and somehow never got bored of them, they were great.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I'm posting this since the topic is relevant. Some friends of mine have a new-ish weekly podcast about Sonic the Hedgehog, and the episode that released today is coincidentally also about special stages. And the episode that released last week had Pat Casey as the guest, one of the cowriters of the Sonic movie and the upcoming movie sequel. It's pretty good if you like Sonic way too much, and I think some of the cool Sonic posters in this thread may like it too!

https://anchor.fm/ghz-podcast/episodes/17-Idris-Elba-Special-Stages-e15t6es

That Anchor link has links to the podcast on Spotify, Apple, and Google if you prefer any of those other services.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
I was letting youtube recommends run whilst grinding out crash 2, and hit a couple great Sonic essays that are probably old news to the thread, but hey thought I'd chuck a recommendation for anyone who missed them the first time around, because they're both great.

First one by New Frame Plus doing an analysis of the animation across the entire (mainline) series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxCcHOvSVJQ

And this one by Liam Triforce doing a look at Sonic music and how it's evolved over the years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDooMjw9uhU

Raylax fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Aug 15, 2021

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Baggot posted:

I'm posting this since the topic is relevant. Some friends of mine have a new-ish weekly podcast about Sonic the Hedgehog, and the episode that released today is coincidentally also about special stages. And the episode that released last week had Pat Casey as the guest, one of the cowriters of the Sonic movie and the upcoming movie sequel. It's pretty good if you like Sonic way too much, and I think some of the cool Sonic posters in this thread may like it too!

https://anchor.fm/ghz-podcast/episodes/17-Idris-Elba-Special-Stages-e15t6es

That Anchor link has links to the podcast on Spotify, Apple, and Google if you prefer any of those other services.

I will definitely be giving this a listen over the next week, thanks for the recommend!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Raylax posted:

A younger me played literally hundreds of Blue Sphere stages (Sonic 1 + Knuckles) and somehow never got bored of them, they were great.
Blue spheres is good. I’m not like, spend an afternoon playing random stages with Sonic 1 & Knuckles into it, but I got gold on all of them in Mania.

I think the only special stage I don’t care for is Sonic 1.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Raylax posted:

It blew me away that every game I plugged in would get me new ones.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

Blue spheres is good. I’m not like, spend an afternoon playing random stages with Sonic 1 & Knuckles into it, but I got gold on all of them in Mania.

I think the only special stage I don’t care for is Sonic 1.

I gathered all 6 earlier today and only failed once (on #4) cause I zigged when I shoulda zagged, not knowing which way was the correct path but I was stressed out the whole time since it doesn't feel like you have that much control over what's happening (tho the taxman port running at higher FPS w/ smoother turning helped a ton). At least most of them are easy- especially the last one.

This might be heresy but I actually remembered kinda digging the special stages in Sonic 4 Ep1 cause being able to control the tilt made it fun to try to speedrun through & things felt a lot less up to chance.

Onto Sonic 2 :tipshat:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s so much easier to get them in Taxman Sonic 2. I hate going for them otherwise.

Wow you were totally right about this!! I just crushed all of them first try and had Super Sonic unlocked before the end of Aquatic Ruin Act 1 :c00l: That's the easiest time I've had with them in my entire life.

Emerald 6 wasn't nearly as BS as I remember it, it was Emerald 7 that had the dumb poo poo and the only reason I beat it first try was I remembered the part where they dickishly do 4 left side ring patterns in a row. 100% not possible if you don't know that's coming.

There are some cool mods for the taxman PC decomp mod too, playing Sonic 1 and 2 with the S3 insta shield is pretty sick.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

wateyad posted:

Unleashed runs better on PS3 than 360. The reason why there was a perception otherwise was that the 360 version is capped at 30 fps and stays there most of the time while the PS3 version is uncapped but cannot hold 60. In the couple of places where they both poo poo the bed, the PS3 version is noticeably less bad.

That is until you factor in the Xbox Series S/X, which support the 360 version in backwards compatibility. It still runs at 30FPS but it's absolutely rock solid at all points (and supports Auto HDR). I don't think Jungle Joyride Day has a single drop. Which is a vast improvement over the PS3's feeble attempt at running at 60 maybe 10% of the time and thus constantly flipping between framerates.
Running on the Xbox One X is slightly improved as well, but it seems most of the bottleneck was CPU which the Series consoles easily brute force.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Too bad they didn’t unlock it on 360 but they had no way of predicting the awesome BC in 15 years.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

beep by grandpa posted:

Emerald 6 wasn't nearly as BS as I remember it, it was Emerald 7 that had the dumb poo poo and the only reason I beat it first try was I remembered the part where they dickishly do 4 left side ring patterns in a row. 100% not possible if you don't know that's coming.

The key to the Sonic 2 special stages is spamming the pause button to see what's coming. It's about Chaos Control.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sonic 3D Blast is a bad Sonic game but an OK Flicky game.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Going back, I really hate Sonic 2's special stages. The later you get, it's basically impossible to actually react to what's coming. You just don't move quickly enough and the controls aren't precise enough. You just have to memorize the half-pipe and be there in time.

The HD version seems pretty awesome though.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

half pipes are best special stage but the original sonic 2 ones are a very rough & flawed first attempt. theyve always been done much better since

if i have to rank the special stages of the original games id go: 3&k > CD > 1 > 2

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Those are probably my favorite. I’m glad they came back in Mania. I’d rank them 3K>Mania>CD>1>2. The Dimps games all have terrible ones.

no way, the jet ski races in rush adventure are rad

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I actually just got all the emeralds in Mania for the first time yesterday. I basically stopped trying when I first played the game as I wasn't very good at them and got stuck trying to get that drat fourth chaos emerald. After I got that one I guess something clicked and the rest fell pretty quickly.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I liked all of the Dimps ones. I thought Advance 1 was impossible at first, but once I got what the different moves were for I blew through every special stage with relative ease.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Advance 2's special stages are dumb just for the entrance requirements alone. I never would have found all those special rings without a guide and having to grab them all in a single run is just stupid.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
This was the worst special stage

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Raylax posted:

This was the worst special stage

It's the only one that doesn't work.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Stink Terios posted:

It's the only one that doesn't work.

Switch to Power formation, hold down or mash the boost button, don’t move too much and get most of the emeralds with Team Rose, simple as that.

I agree the Heroes special stages still suck though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Nothing comes close to Lost World 3DS special stages and its insane 1:1 360 degree 3D gyro controls.

Best played on a swivel chair. I worked out how pausing let you recenter the gyro, but as you can imagine pausing and draging the console back in front of yourself multiple times per 180 turn was somewhat tedious.