Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Franco Caution posted:

Does anyone else like, not really give 2 shits about ultra expensive rich people vanity cars?

As a kid, I thought Lambo and Ferrari were cool, but now as an adult I really could give a gently caress less about either of them. Car magazine articles too. I don't even bother to read about things in the 200k+ range.

I think $130k or so is the limit for me. Anything over that stretches beyond the reality of ever even being a dream car for me. As these things continue to come out, I just sorta go "yeah neat, next."

This is me now. I used to know all the different models and all but could barely tell you the name or model of anything ferrari/lambo/mclaren have made in the last 5-10 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

fknlo posted:

This is me now. I used to know all the different models and all but could barely tell you the name or model of anything ferrari/lambo/mclaren have made in the last 5-10 years.

That's why Lambo only updates their "mainstream" models once a decade.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Murgos posted:

We’ve come around to where admiring cars in the car thread is unseemly.

Automotive Insanity: No insanity please, just regular old cars thanks.

Fuckin miserable you lot, Jesus Christ.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
The only kind of insanity supercars inspire in me is insane boredom.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Automotive Insanity: No insanity please, just regular old cars thanks.

Fuckin miserable you lot, Jesus Christ.

this is some sad small brain thinking that doesn’t even ‘get’ the forum; it’s about insane projects and other dedicated car person stuff, lusting over exotics is nothing more than bottom barrel consumer fetishization

the degree of engineering and production technology that goes into a new Civic is far more interesting than the latest hacked together bougie toy

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

<taps thread title>

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Wheeee posted:

this is some sad small brain thinking that doesn’t even ‘get’ the forum; it’s about insane projects and other dedicated car person stuff, lusting over exotics is nothing more than bottom barrel consumer fetishization

the degree of engineering and production technology that goes into a new Civic is far more interesting than the latest hacked together bougie toy

Thanks for educating me on what the forum is supposed to be about.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

So what would be everyone's max $125-150k smart lottery win car purchase be?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Franco Caution posted:

Does anyone else like, not really give 2 shits about ultra expensive rich people vanity cars?

As a kid, I thought Lambo and Ferrari were cool, but now as an adult I really could give a gently caress less about either of them. Car magazine articles too. I don't even bother to read about things in the 200k+ range.

I think $130k or so is the limit for me. Anything over that stretches beyond the reality of ever even being a dream car for me. As these things continue to come out, I just sorta go "yeah neat, next."

Yeah that's me too. They are basically rich jewellery and.... just dont care. Which is why I hear about a new Ingetra I genuinely get hopes up of an actual relavent and interesting car (and who knows a new Integra Type R and maybe a genuine successor to the best FWD sports car?) and not some 700hp hybrid exotica that only will get driven to the sailing club for the instagram influencers next photoshoot.

Murgos posted:

We’ve come around to where admiring cars in the car thread is unseemly.

Thread title has for a few years not been a joke.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Franco Caution posted:

M3 or RS4 seems like a good pick, someone have better ideas? Cayenne or Macan?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RS6 seems like the next logical successor from the FoRS.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Franco Caution posted:

RS6 Avant, or a theoretical C8 ZR1.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Thread title has for a few years not been a joke.

It is for me, I like reading about new cars! :) Just not generic supercars.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 15, 2021

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Franco Caution posted:

M3 AWD or an M5 comp.

Alternatively a Taycan.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

RS6 avant. I'd buy it before I bought a house with this hypothetical lottery win

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I like hearing about supercars :shobon:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Franco Caution posted:

2023 Z06.

That noise.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Franco Caution posted:

F-350 Tremor + (Bronco Badlands OR C8 (Z06 if it fits in budget) or Mach 1 OR Model Y performance OR Mach-E GT, depending on how I was feeling on the day in question)

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

LC500 keep the change

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Franco Caution posted:

I'd have a tough time choosing between an LC500 convertible, or an AMG GT convertible.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I think there should be more retro styled cars because making a pattern after old designs has been way better than anything new lately.

Every problem with this Camaro SS I'm driving this weekend is rooted in the fact that it was designed by Boomers who thought the '69 Camaro was the apogee of car design.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

KillHour posted:

I like hearing about supercars :shobon:

Not what the forum is about I’m told. Someone tell blue Lambo guy too.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

sorry for your reading comprehension

new integra is hype tho

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

After getting a motorcycle, any desire for manual sports cars kinda fizzled out for me. Nothing more connected than being on two wheels.

So now I really just want a reasonable EV hatch/wagon, motorcycle du jour for whatever I'm into (off road, touring, track etc), a cargo ebike, and to live in a place with decent bicycle infrastructure.

Also sufficient number of mountain bikes to cover local terrain.

Edit: but if we are playing a game, a Cayman 4.0 in Miami Blue and as much track time as I can buy with the left over funds

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 15, 2021

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm not a good enough driver to be able to appreciate the capabilities of a $60k Corvette even on a racetrack. I'm gonna work on that before spending time thinking about cars with even more capability. :geno:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Wheeee posted:

sorry for your reading comprehension

new integra is hype tho

Edit : okay that initial post was harsh. You are still threadbanned for three days howevever because that initial gatekeeping about what AI is about is not on.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Aug 15, 2021

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Franco Caution posted:

A fully restored Panhard 24 and a Costco pack of Yugos.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Franco Caution posted:

No question

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Yes hello I retroactively change to 911 as well

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

fknlo posted:

nowadays, i just automatically think that every supercar i see is a mid engine corvette

seriously can't tell the difference anymore

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

But which 911?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

So hyped about a new Integra even if it ends up being just a Si coupe with nicer upholstery.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
1 car? Loaded Highlander hybrid. Best combination of efficiency, space, comfort, and soft-road capability. Automotively sane tho

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:
The combination of being a parent and working from home now has done a lot to kill my enthusiasm for cars. I have two awesome cars and I have nowhere to go and very little time to do anything with them. Hell I did a track day last November and still haven’t washed it since. Ugh.

But yeah, gently caress expensive hypercars. Eat the rich.

My somewhat obtainable dream car was the 991.2 GT3 manual but those shot up in value with the pandemic. So now my answer is a 4.0 Spyder. And if Lotuses keep going up in value it might not be that much of a stretch.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Franco Caution posted:

A half decent tow car and trailer and breathe a sigh of relief I can throw the rest of a hypothetical 125K onto the car projects. Even just 10K on one of them would suddenly mean I can buy upgrade parts and tools and maybe make for a better build

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

PeterWeller posted:

So hyped about a new Integra even if it ends up being just a Si coupe with nicer upholstery.

I -hope- the new Integra is an upscale Si coupe. Even better would be an upscale Type R coupe. When I first heard the news I expected the worst and instantly thought of what Mitsu did to the Eclipse but the spy shots being passed around have alleviated those fears.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

kimcicle posted:

I -hope- the new Integra is an upscale Si coupe.

Me too. Id also like a more grown up version of the Civic type R.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Inner Light posted:

M3 or RS4 seems like a good pick, someone have better ideas? Cayenne or Macan?
Id really like to get a fully optioned out and strange colored Macan GTS. Then spend the rest of the money on a fun silly car like a ND mx-5
Id also like to drive a X3M or X3 M40i, but it sounds like the Macan ends up being better regardless.

Would also love to get a RS6 but I somehow thing it might be too big for me. Wish the RS4 was an option for the US.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I post in this thread mainly to highlight the fact that car industry design sucks rear end these days. The lamborghini looking like all the rest produced in the last decade highlighting my point nicely. I remember whem lambos were an event to see, they were always something stupid and over the top looking but as time goes on they all kinda look the same so of course they're not exciting anymore. That's just visually, ignoring the supposed $3.5 million price that Countach supposedly has which would buy you a decent chunk of actual cool classic Lamborghinis including a couple you can use as track beaters :v

This is a cool thread but for those not wanting to click I'll post his findings

https://twitter.com/midnightdorifto/status/1426055792231292929?t=WpGb2hjYM_0PUuiS9u0_eg&s=19

quote:

okay so I don’t find the Countach photos to make for a particularly offensive design but then I saw the rumored price tag and it required some math and here are my preliminary findings, pending peer review:

you could purchase one (1) Countach LP800-4 for $3.5M USD

OR YOU COULD:

buy one (1) 1967 Miura P400S for $1,588,410 AND

one (1) 1977 Countach LP400 Periscopo for $1,310,854 (at today’s spot rate) AND

one (1) 1995 Diablo VT for $210,119 AND

one (1) 2003 Murciélago for $275,000 (assuming this sells for the very top of its estimate this weekend) AND

aw heck I’ll even throw in a bonus one (1) 2010 Gallardo Supertrofeo LP560-4 (with logbook!) for $108,004 AND IF YOU CALL NOW

I’ll even include two (2) round trip premium economy tickets from JFK to Milan for $1,994, two (2) round trip train tickets from Milan to Bologna for $79, and one (1) week in this sublime B&B just a half hour from Lamborghini’s headquarters and factory for $2,465 AND

that leaves us with $3,075 left over for dining, taxis, tickets to the Lamborghini Museum in Sant'Agata Bolognese, plus any incidentals you might incur on your trip of a lifetime

or you could buy one (1) Countach LP800-4, I guess

I know it must be fun to have infinity money to throw at poo poo but the design is lame, the poo poo is far too expensive and you could buy so many actually cool, beautiful cars for the cash.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
But as I think someone already said, if you’re one of the guys who got the call about this car, you probably already have a decent chunk of those other cars too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

YOLOsubmarine posted:

But which 911?

991 GT2 RS.

Accept no substitute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

BuckyDoneGun posted:

But as I think someone already said, if you’re one of the guys who got the call about this car, you probably already have a decent chunk of those other cars too.

Do they run a Ferrari style setup then? I'd have thought Lamborghini of all manufacturers would adore new money bellends because look at their cars...