Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
As surely as this post is at the top of the page, I have no further desire to set foot in a nursing home ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Tubgoat posted:

As surely as this post is at the top of the page, I have no further desire to set foot in a nursing home ever again.

:same:
I only hope that when the time comes were either at the singularity or I'm lucid enough to know.
Not that it matters, world's on fire.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

TACD posted:

when i see jpeg compression in the sky I'll know it's time to eat a bullet

“The sky above the port was the colour of meme, ran through a deep fried filter."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Architectural concept looking good.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Platystemon posted:

needs turrets to burger you en passant, so you don't even have to slow down.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

silentsnack posted:

needs turrets to burger you en passant, so you don't even have to slow down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN9GxmtfX90&t=15s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stIh4RweYns&t=235s

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Platystemon posted:

Oh hey, I ate there on my honeymoon in Italy.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

looking up at the wildfire smoke covered night sky, "i think i can see the Tesla logo"

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

tangy yet delightful posted:

looking up at the wildfire smoke covered night sky, "i think i can see the Tesla logo"

in time, it will be known as the Hate Star

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tubgoat posted:

It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people. -- Chairman Sheng-ji Yang ,"Ethics for Tomorrow"

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

smarxist posted:

“The sky above the port was the colour of meme, ran through a deep fried filter."

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Rutibex posted:

It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people. -- Chairman Sheng-ji Yang ,"Ethics for Tomorrow"

I assume tanks as in military assault vehicles? If so, hard agree.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Tubgoat posted:

I assume tanks as in military assault vehicles? If so, hard agree.

You have about equal odds of being gelatinized.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

they should make kids play SMAC in school

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

From a few days ago but I fell a bit behind on this thread.

This got brought up in the spaceflight thread. The "story" here is that some guy is (supposedly) buying a launch slot for a CubeSat -- a tiny little spacecraft that you can hold in one hand. They cost something like $50k to buy and then another $50k or so to do a rideshare launch on a Falcon 9. Hundreds of them go up every year for all kinds of purposes. This guy wants to do some silly dogecoin ad thing with his when it's up there.

This is like if I said I planned to buy a Ford pickup for my Herbalife "business" (but hadn't actually bought it yet), and so the press said that Ford was going into the Herbalife business with me and they put a picture of the Ford CEO at the top of the article.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 217 days!

Chard posted:

they should make kids play SMAC in school

want to destroy this broken world on the backs of a horrifying boil of psyche devouring mind worms

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Fried Watermelon posted:

The Three Stigmata of Elon Musk

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Powered Descent posted:

From a few days ago but I fell a bit behind on this thread.

This got brought up in the spaceflight thread. The "story" here is that some guy is (supposedly) buying a launch slot for a CubeSat -- a tiny little spacecraft that you can hold in one hand. They cost something like $50k to buy and then another $50k or so to do a rideshare launch on a Falcon 9. Hundreds of them go up every year for all kinds of purposes. This guy wants to do some silly dogecoin ad thing with his when it's up there.

This is like if I said I planned to buy a Ford pickup for my Herbalife "business" (but hadn't actually bought it yet), and so the press said that Ford was going into the Herbalife business with me and they put a picture of the Ford CEO at the top of the article.
yeah, but you know elon isn't going to be able to restrain himself rambling about dogecoin and using it to by doge memes on the satellite.

edit: also, the incorrect assumption is to be expected when they've conditioned the press to say "Elon Musk's Spacex/Tesla/Boring Co." instead of just naming the company.

GWBBQ has issued a correction as of 05:13 on Aug 14, 2021

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
I think the larger question is why are we even allowing to launch those dinky shitboxes into space when they become space junk within a year

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

grate deceiver posted:

I think the larger question is why are we even allowing to launch those dinky shitboxes into space when they become space junk within a year

Someone at some point in the chain makes a lot of money, so its good.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

NASA started a new game of KSP on Hard.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Are the five thousand ASMR ear licking streams on twitch a new thing or is that just what twitch is now?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

The Oldest Man posted:

Are the five thousand ASMR ear licking streams on twitch a new thing or is that just what twitch is now?

ok boomer

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

grate deceiver posted:

Most of them are launched into orbits that decay within a few months to a year, with a few doing longer science missions or being shot into deep space. This one looks like it's two bullshit tech companies and two cryptocurrency companies that have apparently paid for the launch with dogecoin and the ad sat is a rideshare with the primary payload that ... will be crashing a physical dogecoin into the moon?

It's also a direct violation of 51 USC 50911 which explicitly prohibits licensing launches involving advertising in space, so I'm pretty confident it's vaporware.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

GWBBQ posted:

Most of them are launched into orbits that decay within a few months to a year, with a few doing longer science missions or being shot into deep space. This one looks like it's two bullshit tech companies and two cryptocurrency companies that have apparently paid for the launch with dogecoin and the ad sat is a rideshare with the primary payload that ... will be crashing a physical dogecoin into the moon?

It's also a direct violation of 51 USC 50911 which explicitly prohibits licensing launches involving advertising in space, so I'm pretty confident it's vaporware.

laws arent real

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

laws arent real
FCC licensing is and no way are KSC or Vandenberg going to permit range use without a license.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

wait is it a radio advertisement? lol i thought it was gonna be like a billboard you could read with a telescope

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

wait is it a radio advertisement? lol i thought it was gonna be like a billboard you could read with a telescope
It's a camera on a selfie stick pointed at an LCD screen.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

the rule for anything to do with elon musk is "imagine the dumbest thing you can think of - it's dumber than that"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

It's a camera on a selfie stick pointed at an LCD screen.

It can't be that stupid. You must be explaining it wrong.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

GWBBQ posted:

FCC licensing is and no way are KSC or Vandenberg going to permit range use without a license.

This is adorable

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

It can't be that stupid.

Well it's an ad for crypto

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

if someone doesn't goatse the terrible advertising satellite then humanity is truly beyond redemption

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

It can't be that stupid. You must be explaining it wrong.

https://www.businessinsider.com/spacex-start-up-launch-satellite-space-advertising-cryptocurrency-2021-7 posted:

Once in orbit, a selfie-stick attached to the side of the CubeSat will film the display screen. This footage will be livestreamed on YouTube or Twitch so anyone can tune in to watch the satellite's screen, Reid said.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
a few years back i got contacted by some doge nerds b/c one of my ham radio threads got a little popular on twitter. they wanted to bounce a data packet of a doge transaction off the moon using earth-moon-earth tech

when i explained that they'd need a commercial license (b/c this was obviously a marketing stunt and those are banned on actual ham radio) and a couple ground stations costing 5-20 thou apiece, they called me a fiat cuck and blocked me

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
well, aren't you?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Was it this thread that someone said Zuckerberg was legally evicting hawaiian natives using a legal loophole and was (obviously) a sociopath? I'm trying to find the thread of that particular conversation but I don't have search lol

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

Was it this thread that someone said Zuckerberg was legally evicting hawaiian natives using a legal loophole and was (obviously) a sociopath? I'm trying to find the thread of that particular conversation but I don't have search lol

No but apparently harassing and doing frivolous lawsuits through proxies to try to force natives to sell land to him.

https://sfist.com/2021/05/07/mark-zuckerberg-has-bought-another-600-acres-on-kauai/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Drake no: Mark Zuckerberg following the path of Augustus

Drake yes: Mark Zuckerberg following the path of James Cook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Platystemon posted:

Drake no: Mark Zuckerberg following the path of Augustus