Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I know The Sun is not often the most reliable but they’re reporting that there could be “thousands dead”. Between earthquakes, hurricanes, and corruption in the government…Haiti is hosed.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/3473432/haiti-earthquake-huge-magnitude-7-quake-strikes/

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But they had all that relief money from Trump to spend!

EDIT: seriously this is so hosed up for Haiti, a country still hurting so badly from multiple natural disasters. Now this.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Ouch, not again! At least the epicenter wasn't as close to Port-au-Prince but in the less populated cape to the west, near the city of Petit Trou de Nippes which is only 2.5% the size of Port-au-Prince. Obviously getting help to tens of thousands of people who have lost their homes, sanitation etc. is difficult but still easy compared to getting the same to over a million people.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/LeoFeldmanNEWS/status/1426543177813659649

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

other people posted:

what is wrong with you :confused:

most of them suck or are visually annoying :jerkbag:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Azathoth posted:

most of them suck or are visually annoying :jerkbag:

turn on your monitor :smugdog:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/3MGGMF9.mp4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do these diggers just come with the RC version or something?

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
I don't think this has been posted yet. Lead pour for boat keel gone wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrTWP-du9Mk&t=1842s

Turns out molten lead is hot enough to melt lead. Who knew

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Diggus Bickus posted:

Yeah, I called that one at the very start of the video, when I saw that their wooden frame wasn't a full trough.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Megillah Gorilla posted:

EDIT: seriously this is so hosed up for Haiti, a country still hurting so badly from multiple natural disasters. Now this.

Hey, at least there’s a tropical storm bearing down on them!

:(

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

It's like those little birds that pick the meat out of a Crocodile's teeth. A symbiotic relationship...

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

MrYenko posted:

Hey, at least there’s a tropical storm bearing down on them!

:(

I still support Matenwa, the school in Haiti that was a GBS Christmas thing some years ago - they haven't posted any updates yet, but I'll mention it when there is anything. They're up in the hills of Gonave island, so at a guess the earthquake didn't hit them too hard; we'll see how the storm goes.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

The paper mill we work out of in Syracuse has a resident bird population that is maintained by eating the bugs off of the front of trucks. It's good to see that nature is healing.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Oddly satisfying smoothness

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

The paper mill we work out of in Syracuse has a resident bird population that is maintained by eating the bugs off of the front of trucks. It's good to see that nature is healing.

If I were a SciFi author, I'd be tempted to write a short story set far into the future, where we managed to make something like our current lifestyle indefinitely sustainable - and make it all about how nature would eventually adapt. After all, cities and suburbia are massive opportunities for any species that can make use of them; something we're already seeing small sparks of in the animals that are behaviorally and physiologically flexible enough to be able to fit in without notable genetic changes. I'm imagining butterflies that swarm forgotten snacks, moths that can only pupate on road lights, bats that preferably nest under solar cells, insects that have evolved to match common paint or roadsign colors, birds that navigate by the motorway system, how bio-mimicry of lawn grass is incredibly valuable for plants, and so forth - there should be enough in there for a short and silly ten-page story.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Computer viking posted:

If I were a SciFi author, I'd be tempted to write a short story set far into the future, where we managed to make something like our current lifestyle indefinitely sustainable - and make it all about how nature would eventually adapt. After all, cities and suburbia are massive opportunities for any species that can make use of them; something we're already seeing small sparks of in the animals that are behaviorally and physiologically flexible enough to be able to fit in without notable genetic changes. I'm imagining butterflies that swarm forgotten snacks, moths that can only pupate on road lights, bats that preferably nest under solar cells, insects that have evolved to match common paint or roadsign colors, birds that navigate by the motorway system, how bio-mimicry of lawn grass is incredibly valuable for plants, and so forth - there should be enough in there for a short and silly ten-page story.

The moment any species figures out how to metabolize plastic it's fuckin over.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/BN27LFa.mp4

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Plebian Parasite posted:

There was a time when nothing on Earth knew how to decompose lignin and trees would just die and fall over, and just sit there forever. Then something figured it out and now trees rot just like anything else. Eventually something will learn to eat plastic, and it might be fuckin over. If all our plastic poo poo just starts rotting, that would suck.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!

My driving instructor told us to always look both ways before you cross tracks, and now I don't think I'm ever going to forget to do that.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

That's a full size digger.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Diggus Bickus posted:

molten lead the size of a solid lead.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Plebian Parasite posted:

Back in 2016, they actually found a bacterium living off plastic in a dump in Osaka. It might actually be a good thing, assuming they can find a way to use it without actually releasing it into the wild.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Tobermory posted:

Back in 2016, they actually found a bacterium living off plastic in a dump in Osaka. It might actually be a good thing, assuming they can find a way to use it without actually releasing it into the wild.

Looking forward to the real life version of that scene from Andromeda Strain where all the rubber seals and masks start dissolving around you.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Cat Hatter posted:

Looking forward to the real life version of that scene from Andromeda Strain where all the rubber seals and masks start dissolving around you.

Luckily we’ve had bacteria that eat latex rubber polymers for far longer and that hasn’t happened yet!

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Cojawfee posted:

There was a time when nothing on Earth knew how to decompose lignin and trees would just die and fall over, and just sit there forever. Then something figured it out and now trees rot just like anything else. Eventually something will learn to eat plastic, and it might be fuckin over. If all our plastic poo poo just starts rotting, that would suck.

I mean, it's not like wood is now completely useless as a material. Treat it and protect it appropriately and it'll last for centuries. I don't see why plastic would be any different.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

corgski posted:

Luckily we’ve had bacteria that eat latex rubber polymers for far longer and that hasn’t happened yet!

Yeah, joking aside, wood rots and stuff still needs a certain amount of neglect before it starts falling apart. I'd expect plastic eating bacteria would still be slower than UV degradation on plastic that just gets left outside.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I mean, it's not like wood is now completely useless as a material. Treat it and protect it appropriately and it'll last for centuries. I don't see why plastic would be any different.

Cat Hatter posted:

Yeah, joking aside, wood rots and stuff still needs a certain amount of neglect before it starts falling apart. I'd expect plastic eating bacteria would still be slower than UV degradation on plastic that just gets left outside.

And even with decomposition of organic stuff they can survive forever in certain conditions, like in oxygen-poor swamps. Microbes are not omnipotent by any means.

http://www.goldschp.net/SIG/onfim/onfim.html

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 14, 2021

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
things are only doomed when some nano sci nerds makes the gray goo event happens.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/B0MomNR.gifv

Can’t stop posting these.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Why didn't they just lower the windspeed :smug:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

What aircraft is this? I find its long thinnyness ~pleasing~

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

looks like some flavor of DHC

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It’s a DHC-8. I think it’s a Q400, but I’m not very good as differentiating Dash Eights. They’re all equally miserable airplanes.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

MrYenko posted:

It’s a DHC-8. I think it’s a Q400, but I’m not very good as differentiating Dash Eights. They’re all equally miserable airplanes.

Oh yes I think I flew in one from DEN to Santa Fe or maybe ABQ. Wasn't joyous.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
I liked 'em. They do "short" hops around here, and yeah they're tiny but taking these turboprop planes to smaller terminals was a nice change of pace.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I liked 'em. They do "short" hops around here, and yeah they're tiny but taking these turboprop planes to smaller terminals was a nice change of pace.

Used to fly in some planes that size before the regional airline that ran them went out of business. I think about half the flights I took in them had some moments where you'd start to nervously glace at other passengers.
Best one I can remember is coming back to Missoula from Boise, we got near a large forest fire that was in the area. All of a sudden, the plane just plummeted for a bit after hitting turbulence. Thankfully, everyone was buckled in, as that would have really bounced someone around.

Also, the pilot would move be people around the cabin as he eyeballed the weight of passengers.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
That's part of their charm! :v:

The ones I flew in had a weird seat configuration: 2 seats on the left, one on the right. Never really had any excitement. Maybe I'm looking through rose-tinted glasses; they bring back pretty good memories for me.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ten year old kid drowned in the wave pool at Six Flags for “several minutes.” They brought him back with CPR, he’s expected to fully recover.

https://wtop.com/prince-georges-county/2021/08/boy-in-stable-condition-after-receiving-cpr-at-six-flags-america/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

CitizenKain posted:

Used to fly in some planes that size before the regional airline that ran them went out of business. I think about half the flights I took in them had some moments where you'd start to nervously glace at other passengers.

Last flight I took before the you-know-what we had a rough landing into Amsterdam. My colleague is a terrible flier at best and was really panicking but I pointed out the stewardesses were still relaxed which means it's just normal turbulence and she chilled out.

On the way back into the UK it was even worse. I looked back at the stewardess and she was white-knuckling the jump seat. I kept my mouth shut. No issues but we definitely came in sideways for a while and I deleted my phone history just in case...