Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

bunnyofdoom posted:

No. Which means it will be even funnier when Scully and Hitchcock win

"It's ok, Jakey... A win for you or a win for Amy (retroactively) means a win for me, too."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"It's ok, Jakey... A win for you or a win for Amy (retroactively) means a win for me, too."

Actually if you think about I won the 5th one because I got what I always wanted that night

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
He went full Schumer

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
“Just blathered on about someone named Wario…”

“Yeah he does that”

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Amy is swearing and Rosa is high as balls, this episode rules

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Terry Scully's sex book

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Who was that guest star in the first episode? He seemed familiar...

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
He was Dr. Scrubs.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Oh from that famous NBC show, ER!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It was the bad FBI guy from Point Break, I think? Not sure if I can remember seeing him in anything else, but I can't keep track of everything. I'm no superman.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

"Sup Cucks, how'd everyone lose their v-card? I'll go first."

"Amy was right, drugs are bad."

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Liked episode #2, but man did it seem like they were trying too hard with the premiere. I knew they were going to address last year's riots but this felt really cringey. I don't know that there's a GOOD way for a cop show, especially a comedy, to acknowledge the fact that the police are an armed gang that props up white supremacy and rich interests and can't be held accountable for their actions. But that wasn't it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I notice Terry didn’t give back the money

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Phenotype posted:

Liked episode #2, but man did it seem like they were trying too hard with the premiere. I knew they were going to address last year's riots but this felt really cringey. I don't know that there's a GOOD way for a cop show, especially a comedy, to acknowledge the fact that the police are an armed gang that props up white supremacy and rich interests and can't be held accountable for their actions. But that wasn't it.

These were pretty much my exact thoughts and sentiments during the premiere as well. The Charles/Terry plot was really bad with Charles doing all that performative flagellation, and I thought John C. McGinley's character was a bit too much of a caricature. It was a good move for them to air that second episode afterward because it completely removed them from the setting and just let the characters have fun.

I definitely don't want to sound like I'm against them addressing police impropriety at all. I thought the way it was handled in the Jake/Rosa plot was mostly solid.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I think they probably came to massively regret the statements made last year about how they would have to change, because it's been so long that I don't think many people would be saying 'hey wait a second, B99 doesn't reflect the police in reality at all and is just copaganda!' if they just kept doing the show as normal and not made some vague promises.

I hear episode 2 is way better, but the premiere was really bad and stuck in an absolute nightmare position of trying to criticize the police while still making you want to care about characters, who are also police. It's ACAB, not SCAB.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Hipster Occultist posted:

"Sup Cucks, how'd everyone lose their v-card? I'll go first."

"Amy was right, drugs are bad."

I was a bit disappointed that Rosa and Scully aren't gonna be secret pals.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I thought the second episode was fine and the premiere was bad, for most of the same reasons articulated already. Coming into this season I was of the opinion that they should've just taken the graceful exit point provided by the previous finale and called it a day, and neither of these episodes made me rethink that position.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
So we did one Very Special Episode and acknowledged some systemic racism and now the cop show is cool again :)

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They should've all quit. If you're gonna' do it, do it.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Yeah it's just the reality of asking comedy writers to thread the needle on this was always asking a lot. I've enjoyed these characters for years so I'll probably have fun with the last season but I'm keeping realistic expectations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

First episode was cringe city but high Rosa made the second one.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

LividLiquid posted:

They should've all quit. If you're gonna' do it, do it.

I mean, that may be how it ends. I get the feeling that this is going to play into this being the last season and all.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They all quit and become firefighters

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Milo and POTUS posted:

They all quit and become firefighters

They should have just had this entire season be them in the fdny and never say anything about it

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Hot take: I didn't hate the first episode.

No, it wasn't great. It wasn't very good. But, there were a few chuckles, and honestly, it was going to be a rough ride no matter what because they had to go from WACKY COPS to SORT-OF SOCIALLY AWARE COPS WITH JUST A SOUPÇON OF SILLINESS. And, they had to do it in one episode, because this is the last season and you don't want to spend a whole season transitioning the tone of your show when there's not going to be any more show after the transition.

I think Boyle's arc was cringeworthy, but honestly, he's always cringeworthy; that's just what his character is. In this case, he's doing a slightly exaggerated version of what some white people try to do to show that they're one of the good ones... and not one of the bad ones who say they're one of the good ones, but one of the actual good ones. He's trying, which is more than most people do, but it's awkward, and his motives aren't pure: he needs people to know that he's trying, so he's doing everything publicly and humblebragging. It doesn't help anything, and it makes it weird for his long-time black coworkers and friends.

The only thing that's unrealistic, honestly, is that he has black friends. But outside of work, does he? Maybe that's why his character is overcompensating so much--he has no black friends in his life. And I can't help but think that maybe part of the reason that people in this thread hate his arc in the episode is because it cuts just a little too close to home. Ask yourself, am I a white guy who thinks he's not racist, but all of my black friends are people I know from work or maybe a neighbor or two who just happen to live next to me, none of whom I ever deal with unless there's a work or neighborhood event of some kind? (It's rhetorical, by the way.)

I think also that character-wise, Diaz leaving to become a PI is on-point, as is Peralta's efforts to prove that he's one of the good ones (and not one of the etc.). He's actually doing the same thing Boyle is doing, except while Boyle is concerned with what everyone thinks, while Peralta is mainly concerned with what Diaz thinks. But, they're both going overboard in an ultimately unhelpful way.

And, honestly, I liked the deputy chief's response when they showed her proof of misconduct. For one thing, she delivered the "gotta delete this" line well, and Peralta's "Oh no, you're a villain!" made me laugh out loud. They could have just portrayed her as a cartoonish villain for the season with nothing but nefarious motives, which is what they did with John McGinley's character. Instead, she gives a whole bunch of realistic reasons why going public won't have the desired effect.

I'm glad they did this, because nothing she said isn't true, and I bet most people have never once considered all of those consequences. Peralta is the audience avatar in this scene. And while cynics might see her speech as portraying the problem as something not worth trying to solve, I think they successfully shed some light on the real problem. Proving that cops have done something wrong is getting easier all the time. But, unless we do something about the complex series of safety nets that protects even the worst cops from any real consequences (even missing a paycheck for a week), we're going to end up with more and more cops getting caught and maybe getting the lightest of slaps on the wrist.

Most folks think the problem is proving that the cop did a bad thing. If we know they did something because we can prove it, boom, we got 'em! This episode took a few minutes to reveal that knowing is, at most, half the battle.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I don't think Boyle has any friends outside of work. Other than the cousins.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

tarlibone posted:

Hot take: I didn't hate the first episode.

Zir, this is an Arby's. Would you like curly fry's or crinkle fry's with that?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Ninurta posted:

Zir, this is an Arby's. Would you like curly fry's or crinkle fry's with that?

It's actually the Brooklyn 99 thread, which makes it an appropriate place to post about Brooklyn 99.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Mymla posted:

It is actually the Brooklyn 99 thread, which makes it an appropriate place to post about Brooklyn 99.

Should have signed your post with "Sincerely, Captain Raymond J Holt."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Should have signed your post with "Sincerely, Captain Raymond J Holt."

... and opened it with "Dear Ninurta,".

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Really empathized with Rosa in that last scene. People should really highlight the risk of agreeing to go on road trips you'll regret a few hours later when high more often.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Boyle trying to give Terry reparations, Rosa working a cop job for 10 years and just now realizing it's bad, Andy Samberg making a :| face at police brutality, Captain Holt getting divorced for some reason. What a disaster. Why did the producers at NBC think it was appropriate to do a cringey, hamfisted take on George Floyd instead of just canceling the pro cop show?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

The Rosa plot is the most egregious of all those to me, because while the others aren't great they do at least feel like they're in character. With Rosa, it feels like the writers wanted to make somebody quit and become a PI, and hers was the character that fit best (not least because I imagine her whole "emotionless badass cop with minimal concern for suspects' feelings" persona was a tough fit in the new paradigm). This is also why they basically made her into a completely different character in the second episode.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

Boyle trying to give Terry reparations, Rosa working a cop job for 10 years and just now realizing it's bad, Andy Samberg making a :| face at police brutality, Captain Holt getting divorced for some reason. What a disaster. Why did the producers at NBC think it was appropriate to do a cringey, hamfisted take on George Floyd instead of just canceling the pro cop show?

NBC didn't cancel a cop show when cops were proven to have done something bad? You better get your Sunday clutchin' pearls out, buddy, because... SVU and CPD are also both shows that still exist. Seriously. You can look it up. Snopes it. I'm not kidding.

The fact that CPD exists is particularly egregious. Not long after that show started, the Chicago Police Department got busted for having a real-life secret black site where they'd put suspects, keep them away form their lawyers, and interrogate them. In the series, the Intelligence Unit of the Chicago Police Department, headed by Sargent Badcop, leads a rag-tag team of dirty cops with hearts mostly of gold, and one element in the show was "the cage," a little chain link cage they'd put people in to keep them away from their lawyers while they... uh... used enhanced interrogation techniques. The cage kept showing up for a couple seasons after CPD's black site made the news.

Cancelling the show makes no sense from a business perspective. People were under contract. If they didn't cancel their other law and order shows (I forget what they're called), they weren't about to cancel this one.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean they didn’t have to keep them cops. Being cops didn’t really matter all that much. Hell they could have made them PIs like Rosa. It wouldn’t change that much realistically.

Instead they did a halfway solution which was just awkward

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean they didn’t have to keep them cops. Being cops didn’t really matter all that much. Hell they could have made them PIs like Rosa. It wouldn’t change that much realistically.

Truly the shitlib solution.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
There’s a better than even chance the show ends with them not being cops anymore so let’s maybe see things play out first

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah, it was awkward, but honestly, I think they had to do something. They could have just charged right on through with their already-written scrips, which was basically what C:PD did when the cop-cops found out about their literal Pit of Despair. Instead, they tried to salvage their show by shoehorning in a super-awkward episode that shifted the tone and at least tried to address what is going on in this country. Was it a home run? Of course not. But with Superman on the mound, the best you can hope for is getting to first because the catcher didn't catch the third strike.

(Superman is systemic racism, by the way. I mean, I figure that works pretty well because getting rid of systemic racism is akin to killing Superman.)

I'm pretty sure they were in a classic damned-if-they-do, damned-if-they-don't scenario. Let's say they start the season, and suddenly, they're all firefighters, and their police history is never brought up. On a certain level, that in and of itself is funny, especially if it's done in a vacuum. But if they do that because police won't stop killing black people, then one massive group of people will criticize them for going miles out of their way (shifting to a different civil service) to purposefully avoid addressing the issue. Another massive group of people would criticize them for basically proclaiming that all cops are evil (hence the sudden shift to a different civil service) without having the balls to actually say it.

(The only ones left to enjoy the last season would be people who can totally compartmentalize comedy and appreciate it for its own sake. These people also get into bidding wars for original Hitler paintings.)

Now, another option would be to have all of them quit the force and become private investigators or something, but that actually doesn't work well for the show's foundational structure. This show kind-of needs to have Holt to be in charge, for Santiago to be obsessed with rules, and for there to be an underlying bureaucracy run by managers with recognizable ranks for them to work in and fight against. You kind-of need a civil service job to provide all of those things; an independent private company won't have them to that degree. Of course, you might end up with a good show if you have them all quit and do something else, but it'd be a different show, and doing that for the last season just doesn't work well. And still, what I said above still applies: some people would accuse them of tacitly ignoring the problem while others would accuse them of tacitly admitting that there is a problem in the first place.

Short of cancelling the show, I think sacrificing one episode and changing one character's career was about the best option they had. And they were never going to cancel the show.

(I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything, by the way. This is just how I interpret the direction they went with the show.)

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 16, 2021

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
As for cancelling the show, that would put a lot of behind-the-scenes people (not big money talent) suddenly out of work. I don't think anyone wants that.

A friend of mine mentioned that Tom Scharpling (for his work on Monk) and Griffin Newman (Blue Bloods) have began donating every cent they receive from royalties and such related to copaganda, to bail funds. I think that might be a smart and ethical thing for the cast to do if they want to make material amends.

EDIT: in fact, https://twitter.com/iamstephbeatz/status/1267730471670050823

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Aug 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
sigh all they had to do was join the postal service