Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
It's all good! We all need to support our cool and helpful Tataru!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Tataru being front and center on the Endwalker cover art is good and right

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I guarantee you the only reason they didn't cut the Tataru questline entirely is because of that one duty in the Four Lords quest line where she brings the carbuncle out again.

But even then, yes, I'm not sure if you really need to go clam digging with her.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Speaking as someone who first leveled through that stretch in late Stormblood and experienced the pre-trim pain, imo they cut too much.

Tataru's quest didn't need to be truncated and the doppelganger Scions in pre-Ramuh should absolutely not have been cut.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 14, 2021

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So how much further am I from finishing ARR’s post-launch endgame? I’m currently at the point where you’re helping Alphinaud with creating a second neutral organization.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Regalingualius posted:

So how much further am I from finishing ARR’s post-launch endgame? I’m currently at the point where you’re helping Alphinaud with creating a second neutral organization.

That sounds like you're on the tail-end of the 2.3, so bit over the halfway mark.
That's of course, when ignoring all the optional lvl 50 content.
There's lot of dungeons and raids to unlock.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I just finished the whole Crystal Tower line tonight

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You're also at the point where they ramp up the plot quickly for HW so it's probably going to be more engaging than what you've done on the way.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Hearing the name 'Iceheart' referenced is basically your cue that the post 2.0 content is going to start being really plot-relevant again.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
Is there a way for a hotbar to be temporarily shown when I press shift and then it disappears when I stop pressing shift? From what I've found, the appearing and disappearing have to be separate presses entirely.

I'm starting into the 2.x content and I feel like I need to reorganize my hotbars again or it'll be a real mess come HW

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

So is there basically no reason to do NG+ unless you want to get whatever rewards you didn’t pick for glamours?

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Pretty sure NG+ doesn't give quest rewards at all, it's to repeat story content. Unique quest rewards colors/models are also on the calamity salvager, except for a few weird pieces like the shepherd tunic and maybe Garlean conscript sack you wear for quests instead of being quest rewards. Otherwise pretty sure the vast majority of quest reward gear is just craftable/vendorable whites.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

NG+ gives nothing at all. It's purely to re-experience the story.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
And if you have extra character slots an alt is still a better way to re-experience the story in whole. NG+ is great to redo select content but it gives literally nothing else. An alt at least has marginal value when you've done the story.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Only if you want to reexperience the entire story. NG+ allows you to repeat one specific arc.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That said NG+ has been expanded to cover a lot of side stories as well as just the MSQ, so it means you could replay, say, the Dark Knight quests without taking a brand new alt all the way back into Ishgard. Also you keep access to teleports, flying, etc so you're not missing convenience features or hitting level walls or whatever.

The other thing to keep in mind is the entry subscription only lets you have one character per server, so it's quite possible that your sub doesn't let you have an alt that would be able to do stuff like join your same FC.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Got the polar bear mount for... not really doing anything. Kind of cool they just hand them out instead of an insane grind or cash purchases.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not every seasonal event has a mount but they tend to give two or so out a year that way.

If you look on the mogstation you can see the scope of stuff from seasonal events that was free when they first ran; mounts, minions, outfits, etc.

The FFXV crossover next month will let you buy the Regalia car mount (it transforms! It's a four seater!) for 200k MGP so it's a little more work but nothing cactpots and fashion report can't solve.

shoc77
Apr 21, 2015

Tortolia posted:

Not every seasonal event has a mount but they tend to give two or so out a year that way.

If you look on the mogstation you can see the scope of stuff from seasonal events that was free when they first ran; mounts, minions, outfits, etc.

The FFXV crossover next month will let you buy the Regalia car mount (it transforms! It's a four seater!) for 200k MGP so it's a little more work but nothing cactpots and fashion report can't solve.

How long does the crossover event last? I fear that there may not be sufficient time for me to accumulate both 200k MGP and complete MSQ given that I've only recently began playing.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

shoc77 posted:

How long does the crossover event last? I fear that there may not be sufficient time for me to accumulate both 200k MGP and complete MSQ given that I've only recently began playing.

It lasts through september, I think? And taking advantage of the Make it Rain campaign going on will make things go a lot more quickly; you can get almost 100k MGP a week just doing the fashion show, and there are guides on how to do it cheaply put up every week.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Make It Rain ended on Tuesday.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The 15 crossover starts on September 13th. Last time they ran it they left it up for a month.

The only other in game event they have between FF15 and Endwalker launch is a Mogtome event starting on October 19th, so the crossover going a month again seems reasonable to assume. If nothing else you have at least 5-6 weeks to work on getting MGP.

Mogtome events, for the newer folks, are something Square started doing about 2 years ago as a way to keep people running content during patch or pre-expansion lulls. They basically add a special tomestone drop on specified instanced content (on top of everything else you get normally). The reward pools always feature a unique glamour accessory, multiple mounts (including ones that drop from EX fights), music rolls, minions, etc. It's a pretty low impact way to get some bonus goodies.

Pasha
Nov 9, 2017

shoc77 posted:

I don't know when the crossover will start (and how long it will last), but in general you can get 10k to 60k per week from the Fashion Report (and more if you have a bonus to MGP). If you do that as well as the weekly/daily Cactpot (and maybe the Challenge Log) you should probably not have much of an issue getting to 200k MGP.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

SettingSun posted:

Make It Rain ended on Tuesday.

gently caress

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019
There's also generally a Lord of Verminion tournament every Thursday/Friday and the MGP rewards for that are staggering. You play your 15 matches against NPCs and that's like 60k MGP guaranteed. Even a few matches is like 30k. Placing top three or so nets 80k.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Sunday Morning posted:

I'm sorry did someone say they want LESS interaction with Tataru??? They already sinned in cutting her mining expedition.

They did w h a t

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I just went and unlocked Samurai, and, uh

How the hell do you play it? Like, is there any WoW class it’s roughly equivalent to so I can get in the mindset for setting up my hot bars?

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 15, 2021

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Either check Weskalber's YouTube class guides or the SaltedXIV site for rotations, I think they're the most recommended around here?

Generally throw up your buffs + dot, and then midare setsugekka (3-widget iaijutsu). From my understanding (only played it to 58 or so) it's pretty straightforward on the ground floor but challenging to fully optimize.

Can't help you re: wow comparisons though. I haven't played since WoD and the FFXIV rotations all seem far more complex than anything WoW had at the time.

E: to clarify, Weskalber should be for starting fresh and for 50/60/70/80 rotations. SaltedXIV is for max level optimizing usually.

acumen fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 15, 2021

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Regalingualius posted:

I just went and unlocked Samurai, and, uh

How the hell do you play it? Like, is there any WoW class it’s roughly equivalent to so I can get in the mindset for setting up my hot bars?

I don't know WoW, but I can tell you the basics, since the game doesn't do a good job of it.

You have three melee combos that all start with the same attack. Two of them are three parts, one of them is two. Competing these combos gives you a sticker, each one gives a different color/type. One gives a moon, one gives a flower, and one gives a snowflake.

The stickers are used for your iaijutsu. All that matters is the number you have, not the type. One sticker is a single-target DoT, two is an AoE, three is a single-target nuke. You want to keep that DoT up on bosses, but it lasts 60 seconds so that's not too hard.

Your combos also give buffs! Flower combo is the most important, it's a big bump in attack speed, so always do that first. Moon is damage, and snow is nothing, but it's the shorter one, so you use it to refresh your DoT more quickly.

So basically you rotate between combos and do iaijutsu when in between. There are also two AoE combos that give moon and flower stickers, so you can do those and then the AoE iaijutsu for dungeon trash. They don't give the buffs though, which is annoying.

It gets more complicated later on when you get your special resource, kenki. That will allow you to buff your iaijutsu and get in extra attacks, but you can figure it out as you get it. The basic rotation doesn't change much.

For my bars, I have the combo starter on 1, then the moon combo on 2 and shift-2, flower on 3 and shift-3, and ice on 4. The rest goes wherever is comfortable.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

One thing to note is that while using Iaijutsu doesn’t break your combos, enpi, your ranged attack, will. So if you’re on the move it’s usually better to just not be attacking than break your combo.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I can’t really think of a close WoW equivalent. It’s like Windwalker Monk, if you had to use different abilities to generate different types of chi, and you only had one chi spender, but the effect changed based on how much you spent.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Deathlove posted:

They did w h a t

Spoiler for removed Tataru content that was pruned last year.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
Isnt she one of those creepy haunted doll baby race people? If so she can go to hell, along with the rest of that demonspawn

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I won't abide Tataru slander in this thread <:mad:>

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Lalafell are a delight! Tataru is the best character and if you don't like her maybe this game Isn't For You.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

I jump out of my seat every time I see Tataru doing an emote while standing on top of her chair in the Rising Stones. there she goes! there she loving goes

also, gathering and crafting are a lot of fun! so many buttons!!! and there's combos???? but oh God I'll never finish the MSQ if I get lost in the weeds of trying out everything. I think I'll stick to Botanist and Carpenter and maybe Culinarian. I'm a bit of all three of those in real life so it's nice to indulge.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Putting my DoL/DoH sets onto a hot bar made me way better about remembering and using them as I was running around.

What’s a good DoH if I’m just gonna dabble? Culinary? GSM is cool but it’s so far behind my main level that I don’t know it’ll ever catch up to the point of usefulness.

Also does anyone else read the abbreviations as Department of Health/Licensing or is that just me

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sixto Lezcano posted:

What’s a good DoH if I’m just gonna dabble? Culinary? GSM is cool but it’s so far behind my main level that I don’t know it’ll ever catch up to the point of usefulness.

A good idea is whatever crafting class matches the weapon or armor you're wearing so you can pick up the ability to repair your own gear.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Leveling the crafting classes is ludicrously simple. Just turning in HQ items to the Grand Company will shoot you up several levels per item. If you're impatient, you can also do levequests to get even more ludicrous XP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Cythereal posted:

A good idea is whatever crafting class matches the weapon or armor you're wearing so you can pick up the ability to repair your own gear.

ah see but this is my problem

i am rdm but also pld but also whm but also maybe i'll wanna be sam some day

ergo the culinarian thing - errbody needs to eat.