Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
To me, Crosshair isn't immoral per se, just totally amoral.

No sense of right or wrong. He just wants order and a firm place to stand. He seems the kind of person who hates shades of grey and uncertainty.

Right now, he sees his identity with the Empire because his brothers are all in chaos and the Empire, despite offhandedly trying to kill him, is still order with a capital 'O'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

It feels like he's being set up for a Zuko-style arc. His frame for identity has been shaken and while he says that's what he wants, this event is what starts him off on finding out what he is on his own.

It'd be great if that were subverted, and he just chooses to be a bad guy with or without Imperial connections. But this is a kid's show and if it worked once, well, here's to hoping they can pull it off again.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

All Crosshair needs is some random last-of-its-kind species as a sidekick

Crosshair/Grogu spinoff when

radlum
May 13, 2013

jassa posted:

I mean, when she's taken by Cad Bane they make it clear that's why the Kaminoan leaders want her back. The remaining mystery is why Nala Se has her own, separate plans for Omega which apparently involve keeping her alive but off-world.

I thought Nala Se wanted her to be safe; since Omega was her assistant, maybe she grew to like her and that's why she preferred Omega to be on her own, rather than on Kamino, when she realized that things were going badly with the empire.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

radlum posted:

I thought Nala Se wanted her to be safe; since Omega was her assistant, maybe she grew to like her and that's why she preferred Omega to be on her own, rather than on Kamino, when she realized that things were going badly with the empire.

It's likely that's at least part of the reason. But they've made a big deal out of Nala Se hiring Fennec Shand and implied more complex motives, so until they address that explicitly it will remain a mystery.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I forgot about one more thing I expected to show up in the last few episodes; Echo never got the droid arm that was leaked in merchandising.

Though, I suppose that could have been Hot Toys just basing their item off of early concept art, or even season 2 assets.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Nanigans posted:

My guess is that she was created as an unaltered clone to serve as additional cloning material once all the Jango-juice dried up, as had been stated was the case. Boba couldn't be the new future donor because he was MIA becoming a badass bounty hunter.
Well Boba was also Jango's "child" so it's not like they could have counted on using Boba for future clones.

Still, I'm curious as to why she's female and not male. I'm hoping it's not pseudo-scientific like "females carry genetic material better than males".

I'd be ok in the SW universe for Nala Se to explain that when she was attempting to create the unaltered Jango clone, she unexpectedly got both sexes and couldn't understand/explain why, maybe even in the same way Shmi recounted conceiving of Anakin (poetry!). Implying that the Force was involved in her creation, but by not making her or Boba "Force sensitive". It would be a different perspective and more universal demonstration of the Force's role in the SW universe beyond what we've up to this point seen as "LOL, Force only gets involved to make Jedi-types". Nala Se and the Kaminoans could have determined a "use" for her after the fact, but the Force has an idea of how she may be of use to provide a "balance" for all of the used and abandoned living sentient beings known as clones.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Maybe some weird cloning poo poo happened and there just ended up being twins. “Oops, well we have an extra now.”

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Fraternal twins is a definite possibility. I'm more curious about her name - ignoring the whole Greek/English/Basic language tangent, why was she given a name which basically means "last of a series" if she's a Gen 0 clone?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I forgot about one more thing I expected to show up in the last few episodes; Echo never got the droid arm that was leaked in merchandising.

Though, I suppose that could have been Hot Toys just basing their item off of early concept art, or even season 2 assets.

Yeah, I'm wondering if that's a season 2 thing. Season 2 has already been worked on for about a year now, I'm curious if it's something to come. Certainly seems like something they took stock of between seasons and saw an area to develop to give him more to do.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Teek posted:

Yeah, I'm wondering if that's a season 2 thing. Season 2 has already been worked on for about a year now, I'm curious if it's something to come. Certainly seems like something they took stock of between seasons and saw an area to develop to give him more to do.

Tech and especially Echo felt really underutilized this season. They each had a couple moments, but I kept waiting for them to get a “highlight” episode like Hunter or Wrecker and it just never happened. Tech I kinda get, he’s just the pilot and quip-delivery guy, but Echo seemed like he had a lot of potential that just went untapped. He’s a guy with a lot of trauma and experience and you’ve put him in a squad full of former soldiers with trauma of their own, trying to find their place in the galaxy and... he’s just there. He functions as their droid for most of the season and that’s pretty much it.

I honestly kept forgetting he was with them in some episodes.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

tribbledirigible posted:

It feels like he's being set up for a Zuko-style arc. His frame for identity has been shaken and while he says that's what he wants, this event is what starts him off on finding out what he is on his own.

It'd be great if that were subverted, and he just chooses to be a bad guy with or without Imperial connections. But this is a kid's show and if it worked once, well, here's to hoping they can pull it off again.

See, I dunno what could possibly sway Crosshair at this point. Under the Empire he's massacred civilians, hunted his own brothers, and seen the Empire destroy his home city WHILE HE WAS STILL ON IT. I'm not sure what else the Empire could do, short of declare that "all clones are now expendable and must die" that could move him off of "Go Empire!"

Mind you, that last one might actually happen.... :shrug:

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

jng2058 posted:

See, I dunno what could possibly sway Crosshair at this point. Under the Empire he's massacred civilians, hunted his own brothers, and seen the Empire destroy his home city WHILE HE WAS STILL ON IT. I'm not sure what else the Empire could do, short of declare that "all clones are now expendable and must die" that could move him off of "Go Empire!"

Mind you, that last one might actually happen.... :shrug:

Yeah, I figure if he's going to turn it'll be because the Empire turns on him specifically, and tries to kill him. Either that, or they try to kill some compliant civilian pacifist he's developed an emotional attachment to... though that would need a lot more build up to feel believable.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Crosshair’s already got abandonment issues and the Empire is developing at least two kinds of replacements for clones, so the trigger for him seems obvious.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Crosshair’s already got abandonment issues and the Empire is developing at least two kinds of replacements for clones, so the trigger for him seems obvious.

I mean they abandoned him on a city that they blew up and he's still onside...

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Tech and especially Echo felt really underutilized this season. They each had a couple moments, but I kept waiting for them to get a “highlight” episode like Hunter or Wrecker and it just never happened. Tech I kinda get, he’s just the pilot and quip-delivery guy, but Echo seemed like he had a lot of potential that just went untapped. He’s a guy with a lot of trauma and experience and you’ve put him in a squad full of former soldiers with trauma of their own, trying to find their place in the galaxy and... he’s just there. He functions as their droid for most of the season and that’s pretty much it.

I honestly kept forgetting he was with them in some episodes.

Ironically I think this feels a bit like the result of the removal of crosshair from the group dynamic. Without him every conversation in the squad just fast tracks to 'obviously we do whatever hunter decides'.

With crosshair advocating an alternative move to what hunter wants then you can develop more conversations where the other members of the squad move between them based on their personal biases.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

jassa posted:

Fraternal twins is a definite possibility. I'm more curious about her name - ignoring the whole Greek/English/Basic language tangent, why was she given a name which basically means "last of a series" if she's a Gen 0 clone?

From a writing perspective they may have just gone with the Alpha/Omega designations for Boba and Omega because it implies a connection between them, without one of them having the negative connotations of being the "Beta".

radlum
May 13, 2013

jng2058 posted:

I mean they abandoned him on a city that they blew up and he's still onside...

Yeah; that's why I don't get how he is gonna turn on the Empire. They left him to die and blew the planet he was on and he is still on their side; he has drank the Kool-Aid and I find it hard to see him coming back.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Crosshair is going to train Fennec on being a proper sniper :colbert:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Icon Of Sin posted:

Crosshair is going to train Fennec on being a proper sniper :colbert:

"The bullets come out of the slim end, mate!"
"You're making this too easy. I'm actually getting worse."

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Cheesus posted:

Well Boba was also Jango's "child" so it's not like they could have counted on using Boba for future clones.

Still, I'm curious as to why she's female and not male. I'm hoping it's not pseudo-scientific like "females carry genetic material better than males".

I'd be ok in the SW universe for Nala Se to explain that when she was attempting to create the unaltered Jango clone, she unexpectedly got both sexes and couldn't understand/explain why, maybe even in the same way Shmi recounted conceiving of Anakin (poetry!). Implying that the Force was involved in her creation, but by not making her or Boba "Force sensitive". It would be a different perspective and more universal demonstration of the Force's role in the SW universe beyond what we've up to this point seen as "LOL, Force only gets involved to make Jedi-types". Nala Se and the Kaminoans could have determined a "use" for her after the fact, but the Force has an idea of how she may be of use to provide a "balance" for all of the used and abandoned living sentient beings known as clones.

This entire season we’ve seen Omega, a preteen, operate a pretty high level of competence. She everything you would want from a 1:1 Jango Fett clone: intelligent, excellent hand-eye coordination, ability to adapt and strategize in stressful situations, and a fight or flight instinct that favors fight. She also has two valuable traits that baseline Jango doesn’t: high emotional intelligence and a natural ability to lead. Jango was a ‘lone wolf’ sociopath and his male clones had to altered to make them good team mates. She may not have Jango’s innate aggression, but a platoon of 18 year old Omegas with combat training would be a helluva force multiplier on the battlefield.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Going back to Nala Se's lab twice seemed like a DM who was trying to lead the party into discovering something clever they'll need for later, but they're failing all their perception rolls and so the adventure moves on. Really thought we'd learn something there.

At one point they hinted that there were tunnels all over the planet, I really assumed that they would find some pristine Kaminoan facility where they'd learn something. Nope, just twenty-odd minutes of The Poseidon Adventure.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Just woke up and realized I had dreamed the big reveal for season 2:

Omega ages really slowly, Grogu-style. She's the original donor, everyone else including Jango is a mutated genderswapped clone of her.

Yeah, I need to stop eating right before going to sleep.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
omega is baby yoda

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Marsupial Ape posted:

This entire season we’ve seen Omega, a preteen, operate a pretty high level of competence. She everything you would want from a 1:1 Jango Fett clone: intelligent, excellent hand-eye coordination, ability to adapt and strategize in stressful situations, and a fight or flight instinct that favors fight. She also has two valuable traits that baseline Jango doesn’t: high emotional intelligence and a natural ability to lead. Jango was a ‘lone wolf’ sociopath and his male clones had to altered to make them good team mates. She may not have Jango’s innate aggression, but a platoon of 18 year old Omegas with combat training would be a helluva force multiplier on the battlefield.

Her strategic talent shouldn't be underrated. There was a whole B-plot about it.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Woulda been stronger end of season if they stopped last episode and started season 2 on this one

Also they don't got the Bends in a galaxy far far away.

A good show and Omega dodged all the traps kid characters have and was really enjoyable.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Its Rinaldo posted:

Woulda been stronger end of season if they stopped last episode and started season 2 on this one

Also they don't got the Bends in a galaxy far far away.

A good show and Omega dodged all the traps kid characters have and was really enjoyable.

The Bends needs you to breathe compressed air mix. If they kept the air pressure in the lab and tunes to that of sea level, then they're good to go.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Classic star wars story where the droid saves everyone multiple times and everyone immediately forgets.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Alchenar posted:

Classic star wars story where the droid saves everyone multiple times and everyone immediately forgets.

I mean being saved by a droid is no different than your seatbelt saving your life

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cage Kicker posted:

I mean being saved by a droid is no different than your seatbelt saving your life

You wouldn't thank your seat beat every time you get in your car afterwards? :confused:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Anita Dickinme posted:

You wouldn't thank your seat beat every time you get in your car afterwards? :confused:

I have a fear of flying and I have a superstition I use to help myself cope. When I board a plane, I pat it on the fuselage right beside the door and say "hello airplane," like you would pat a horse you're about to get on. Then, when we're getting off the plane, I pat the plane again and say "thank you airplane." As long as I greet and thank the airplane, it will get me there safely.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sash! posted:

I have a fear of flying and I have a superstition I use to help myself cope. When I board a plane, I pat it on the fuselage right beside the door and say "hello airplane," like you would pat a horse you're about to get on. Then, when we're getting off the plane, I pat the plane again and say "thank you airplane." As long as I greet and thank the airplane, it will get me there safely.

You must appease the machine spirit for a successful flight.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Sash! posted:

What a weird way to find out my dad is a goon.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

twistedmentat posted:

You must appease the machine spirit for a successful flight.
People should be nicer to the machine spirits in general.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Sash! posted:

I know someone who thanks her car after every drive. Dealing with the uncertainties of life with technology through Animism is not that uncommon

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004

Show of hands; was it The Brave Little Toaster that started you down this path?

:wave:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
We anthropomorphize everything, cars and ships are usually referred to as she's. Hell we evem do it with intangible concepts like Father Time, Mother Nature/Earth, etc.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I always refer to my car/motorcycle as she or my baby rather than it or my bike because I have a strong belief that she looks out for me just as much as I look out for her (maintenance-wise). Just last month I got into an accident because a driver decide to take a left turn in front of me and decided to stop in the middle of the intersection when she finally stopped me and I like to think that because I kept up with the brakes and other things I was able to stop in time to make it from a serious crash into a minor one. Still hurt though.

I feel like if I didn’t treat her like a real thing I would let some things slide like replacing the chain a little later than I need to. Just helps me stay motivated to keep up with the things I need to do.

Not as deep as thinking of R2 as a real person but that’s where I’m going with it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Arquinsiel posted:

People should be nicer to the machine spirits in general.

Anoit the sacred oils, then press the button marked On.

Rumors are suggesting the actor who played Jubilee in X-men Apocalypse for 5 minutes is one of the leads for Sabine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Droids are actually people tho, in the SW universe