Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

jmzero posted:

WHAT IS GOING ON?

I'm OK with running a role-playing story telling thing, but the game doesn't seem to be giving me much to work with for that. I'm OK with running a step-by-step rules simulation tactics sort of game, but the one here seems kind of bland - and I have no idea how to integrate it that with the "role-playing" side. Am I supposed to be making one or the other of those work better somehow? Did I buy the wrong stuff or not enough stuff? Is "all the above" just kind of what the game is, and I should take it or leave it? Should I be watching someone play some early levels to see what it's supposed to look like?

I understand that's a long scattered rant... Overall, I guess I just feel like I'm really missing something. Thoughts?

You seem to be looking for a more structured experience. D&D has a lot of gaps because you are supposed to be filling that in yourself. Maybe check out Gloomhaven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

jmzero posted:

My (4) kids wanted to play D&D, so I got the Essentials Kit and some extra dice. I had the day off yesterday so over the course of the day we made everyone's character - then we played a first session. I'm DMing. I haven't significant paper role playing games since I was a kid (but I play a lot of computer RPGs and board games). I haven't sought out any D&D "content" or whatever. Short story is that it went OK and my kids want to play more. But I came away with a lot of questions, like... why isn't this better? Here's my review:
I understand that's a long scattered rant... Overall, I guess I just feel like I'm really missing something. Thoughts?
You basically picked up all the unwritten subtext/criticism all in one go, so well done. Most of the things you complained about are because the rules are written to give the players agency, but small details (like how long it takes to rest or copy spells or search for traps or count up your encumbrance) take excruciating amounts of time, so the DM is supposed to ignore them, unless the players do something that they don't like, in which case, there's a rule you can point to that says no, and keep ultimate control. So freely handwave that stuff. Make short rests 5 minutes instead of an hour, nothing breaks when you do that. Have a magic fountain give the effects of a rest without actually sleeping. The only tricky thing is when the players want to long rest after each encounter. That actually does break the balance of the game; the rules say that you can only take 1 long rest per 24 hours, and beyond that, abilities that recharge on long rest are meant to be a managed resource. If a party uses all their long rest abilities immediately, they're going to run into problems, and they also throw off the balance between the classes with different amounts and kinds of resources.

The best practices for the pacing problems are A) try and give the players room to breathe in the game without constantly asking the DM for permission. They're looking at the ceiling because they either don't trust that the DM has told them everything unprompted, or because they think they need to make a perception check to see the good stuff. Just tell them the good stuff when they first get into the room, and leave perception checks for purposely hidden things. The game rolls a lot smoother when the players feel confident that they know what the scene they're occupying looks like.

And B) good encounters are Schrodinger's encounters. The ochre jellies probably don't need to be in that exact room, to be honest. A dungeon or session might have 5 well-crafted encounters of varying difficulty, but the players don't know which one was "supposed" to take place in which location. Don't make the players fight the tough one first - when they stumble into that room, it's got three skeletons because they're still level 1. You don't know or control what order the players are going to progress through and area, but they don't have to know what was actually written down on the page.

Hope that helps, it's not a complete guide but at least a few tips.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

jmzero posted:

My (4) kids wanted to play D&D, so I got the Essentials Kit and some extra dice.

I would say that you're not missing anything. I enjoy running and playing DnD, but the only way I've found to do that is to just accept that a lot of what is in the sourcebooks is weird legacy poo poo from earlier eras that doesn't make sense in the context of modern developments in game design, many of them directly descended from the tactical wargaming that Gygax used as his initial inspiration back in the 70s. There was some discussion upthread about how the very idea of hitpoints makes sense when they are describing the health of a unit of infantry or whatever and makes a lot less sense describing the health of an individual in combat. Similarly, tracking weight and stuff is lame nerd poo poo that's a legacy from early editions and because it's what DnD has always been.

As for how to do it, there are certainly kludges. For example, my brother tracks ammo etc. by dice, rather than number. If you have d12 ammo, then every time you take a shot you roll 1d12. If you ever get a 1, now you have d8 ammo and so on. If you roll a 1 on your d4 ammo, you're out. There are lots of things like that that you can do to make things more lean and easy.

That said, I would recommend looking at Dungeon World as an alternative system. IMO the main appeal of DnD is the pleasure of power creep and the wide variety of options in player classes and abilities to explore. It's fun, but it's also clunky and has lots of dumb balance issues. You just need to be able to sort of deal with those on your own. By contrast, Dungeon World is extremely lean, and every mechanical system exists for a clear reason and doesn't have a lot of weird dross like extensive charts of weight and price and stuff.

I want to reiterate that everything you've complained about is 100% legit, and there's no reason it has to be this way, and in principle a future edition could be designed that followed the newest top standards in game design. That said, 4e created deep, interesting tactical combat, and experienced a lot of backlash. As it stands, I like to play DnD as a low-stakes game where my friends get to wail on some monsters and pursue some narrative threads to go wail on some new monsters, and the fact that a lot of the other stuff doesn't work is besides the point. That's a table-by-table thing though, which is why I recommend at least reading Dungeon World and seeing if it might work better for you and your kids.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think all of those systems are so vestigial. Weight might not be important to your game, but its important to enough games that its still included. People actually use it, its fun to figure out fantasy logistics every once in a while. Its the same thing with Spell Components, it looks like a vestigial system until you have one DM that wants to run a desert island scenario and you can't find any mistletoe so stop asking to cast goodberry :argh:

Weapon Speed (a rule from 2e where your initiative changes based on the type of weapon you use) on the other hand is fairly useless. No one cared about weapon speed, no one used it, and it was dropped as a result.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks for all the comments everyone - I think you've sort of got me in the right headspace for "how I should be presenting/enjoying this game". I can muddle through stuff, just wanted to kind of get my bearings better, if that makes sense.

Rutibex posted:

You seem to be looking for a more structured experience. D&D has a lot of gaps because you are supposed to be filling that in yourself. Maybe check out Gloomhaven

To be clear, my kids have played more structured games (on computer and through board games) and that's cool.. but they're also really creative. And though I focused on the negatives, parts of this experience have gone really well. Like, my kids (especially the girls) really liked writing up a backstory for their characters, drawing them, and making up their ideals/bonds, etc.. So I don't want to lose that part of things, and ideally would like to integrate more of that personality into how the game plays.

Anywho, we'll do the starter campaign here, and after that see how we want to press on or try something else entirely.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Aug 14, 2021

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Yeah, it's all a matter of what's important to your campaign and what kind of mood you're trying to set.

If you want limitation of projectiles to be an important issue for the players to deal with and resolve, then keeping count of arrows and bolts is absolutely going to be necessary. Likewise, if limiting how much stuff the PCs can carry makes for an interesting problem, keep track of encumbrance.

OTOH, if your campaign makes replenishing missile stock and offloading excess inventory easy, then those things are burdensome and tedious - leave them out.

The point of the system is to be flexible, so you can add or delete stuff at will to make your campaign go the way you want it to. As the DM, your own creativity is the primary limiting factor.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

jmzero posted:

WHAT IS GOING ON?

The game generally assumes that the GM has experience as a player first in some system, though it obviously doesn't ever state that, and implicitly expects the GM to do a lot of fill in work on the modules, even in the one you're playing which is supposed to be for new GMs who have never played.

This is why I recommend new groups use the Sunless Citadel module from Tales from the Yawning Portal first rather than the included one. It can be done as a straight up dungeon crawl but the titular Sunless Citadel is filled with sapient creatures, so players can absolutely negotiate with them in a very natural way (or just murderhobo their way through), and it's all presented in a very linear way.

It's not a great approach for an experienced group that expects flexibility, but when everyone is new, it's a good intro to learning combat mechanics and how dungeon puzzles work and how negotiations with possibly hostile but possibly friendly factions can go.

The best advice that I can give you for your specific situation is that level 1 really sucks for players but that it evens out by level 3. A lot of GMs will either outright skip those levels and start at 3 (not an option for you, I know) or get the players to level 2 as fast as possible. I'd recommend getting them a level up after at most one more session.

Also, ignore all the rules for encumbrance and weight and boring stuff like rations and nonmagical ammo. It's stupid and just assume that they have stuff like that handled. It can add narrative tension in the hands of an experienced GM but for new players it's boring busywork.

Next, yeah gold is not balanced at all. It'll limit players at the start a little bit and then they'll be able to effectively buy anything and everything in the shops they could possibly want because official modules absolutely poo poo gold at players. After a certain point, it's basically a scoreboard unless the players want to do something outside the box like buy a castle or something.

And more generally, GMs feel a lot of pressure about things not going "right" but it's important to remember that your players will be largely oblivious to all that. As long as your players are having fun, that's the important thing. If you get a rule wrong, don't be afraid to admit that later and say "hey, I goofed and this is how it should be, we're going to handle it in this way going forward".

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, it's all a matter of what's important to your campaign and what kind of mood you're trying to set.

If you want limitation of projectiles to be an important issue for the players to deal with and resolve, then keeping count of arrows and bolts is absolutely going to be necessary. Likewise, if limiting how much stuff the PCs can carry makes for an interesting problem, keep track of encumbrance.
To kinda clarify this... it's usually not an interesting problem to keep count of arrows and bolts and encumbrance. If you have a good thematic reason that meshes with the adventure you're running (like extremely limited supplies in a survival heavy adventure), use those rules, but the "realism factor" or whatever isn't a good reason. It's just a lot of busywork for little benefit.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

jmzero posted:

Thanks for all the comments everyone - I think you've sort of got me in the right headspace for "how I should be presenting/enjoying this game". I can muddle through stuff, just wanted to kind of get my bearings better, if that makes sense.

To be clear, my kids have played more structured games (on computer and through board games) and that's cool.. but they're also really creative. And though I focused on the negatives, parts of this experience have gone really well. Like, my kids (especially the girls) really liked writing up a backstory for their characters, drawing them, and making up their ideals/bonds, etc.. So I don't want to lose that part of things, and ideally would like to integrate more of that personality into how the game plays.

Anywho, we'll do the starter campaign here, and after that see how we want to press on or try something else entirely.

Most games have rules which tell you how to play the game. D&D (and most RPGs) function a bit differently, and the rules play multiple roles:
They're a framework around which to improvise things that will help all the players have fun.
They're a mechanism which, in conjunction with random die rolls and unexpected interactions between rules elements, produce unexpected and often enjoyable results.
They're an opportunity to define a set of available options to promote creative play (although if followed too slavishly, they can also restrict creative play).
They're a means for some people to have fun in and of themselves, the sorts of folks who love studying the rules and finding ways to either exploit them or maximize the amount by which their characters benefit from them. (Some people also enjoy following and mastering them without any of that sense of "abuse".)
They're a limitation on what people can do in the game which keeps certain players from spoiling things for everyone else, either by insisting on their character doing whatever they want, or by otherwise stretching or breaking the rules. It's like a more sophisticated check upon those childhood improv "fights" which devolve into "Bang, you're dead!" "You missed me!" "No I didn't!" "Bang! Now you're dead!" because sometimes people are more interested in winning than in collaborating with other people.

TTRPGs function best when you strike a good balance between everyone understanding the rules, which are enforced fairly and consistently, and improvising around them. Similarly, players want their GMs to be fair when adjudicating combat and handling monsters and NPCs, but at the same time, you can make a big mistake by being unwilling to adjust on the fly as seems useful to keep things fun. In particular, allowing PCs to win a few easy fights now and then can be fun so long as they don't drag on and have elements of interest; similarly, always having challenging battles is probably not a great idea unless that's what your players most enjoy.

CRPGs and board games simply can't match the level of responsiveness that TTRPGs can offer. Being able to bend or break the rules is a superpower, and lo and behold, it is also part of your power as referee. Use that power judiciously and fairly, and make sure the prime intent is fun.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

jmzero posted:

Another thing to keep in mind is that GMing is insanely stressful and you always feel like things are going worse than they are. Players are very forgiving as a rule, and more importantly they don't know all the stuff that you have to improvise or all the stuff that's getting left on the table etc. Even like, how long you pause to think of the next thing feels a lot longer to you than it does to your players. Echoing what some people have said, leveling up in DnD is incredibly rewarding, especially once everyone is at 3rd level and has all their special stuff, so definitely try to work a level up into your game soon. It'll also make things easier for you, because as you've observed it's very easy to just kill a level 1 player with a few chance die rolls. Once they have a few levels under their belt you can modify fights a bit more by adding/subtracting different monsters in order to keep things tense but fun.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Infinite Karma posted:

To kinda clarify this... it's usually not an interesting problem to keep count of arrows and bolts and encumbrance. If you have a good thematic reason that meshes with the adventure you're running (like extremely limited supplies in a survival heavy adventure), use those rules, but the "realism factor" or whatever isn't a good reason. It's just a lot of busywork for little benefit.

Agreed, that's why I stressed that they're tools for the DM to use, not mandatory requirements just because they're in the book.

We're running Rime of the Frostmaiden atm, and our DM is stressing encumbrance, cold shock, and exhaustion as things we need to track. They help set the mood for a gritty, drawn-out survival campaign. Moral choices about what (or who) to leave behind in some situations are an important part of it.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

jmzero posted:

THE STARTING MISSION/SETUP SEEMS REALLY BAD

To be honest this is the best essay I've ever read on why D&D is poorly designed and what's wrong with it, so I appreciate your writing and your fresh perspective.

D&D is full of little things that seem like they might be cool and important and give you no ideas on how to make them cool and important. I could write an entire book on how to make an economy work in D&D, and I'd pretty much have to, because the game certainly doesn't tell you. In fact, it gives you almost nothing to do with all the money the players accumulate; the DMG actively discourages a magic item economy but as you've pointed out, the players have more money at level 2 than they will ever need for 90% of the items in the Player's Handbook. People often like to say, well, you use money for kingdom building or for creative problem solving but if so, where are the tables for buying a castle? For funding a business?

This is great, I'm saving this, if you don't mind.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

It seems pretty straightforward to run Dragon of Icespire Peak simultaneously with Lost Mine of Phandelver so I think I might give that a shot. Let the kids level up pretty quick to 3 or so, then do easy side quests to their heart's content until they want to tackle the main quest.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Saxophone posted:

I think I've managed to talk him into just fighter. He liked the idea of Bearbarian, but I think I managed to finally convince him that's something you roll a druid for and dip Barb levels, not the other way around. He's looking at Champion fighter, but I think we've got access to any of the current official books, so if there's something better, I'm all ears and he seems to be too.

What kind of game are you playing? Do you play 5-6 difficult combat encounters per long rest? Are there extended non-combat sections? Does he feel like he has enough stuff going on to keep him interested in both areas? If he really needs to be a well oiled killing machine in combat, then slightly different consideration is needed than if he is feeling bored because all he can do is rage and multiattack.

Either way, Champion subclass is both dull and weak, so don't pick that. Battlemaster, Cavalier and Rune Knight are all better and easy to fit into a barbarian character concept.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Kenning posted:

Echoing what some people have said, leveling up in DnD is incredibly rewarding, especially once everyone is at 3rd level and has all their special stuff, so definitely try to work a level up into your game soon.

Yep - the book says to level up after each of the first missions (regardless of XP), so we'll process that to start.

The other thing I'll note is that I'm railroading them into the next quest, and it (Gnomengarde) looks significantly better than the first one. There's some standard RPG set pieces to work through: traps and levers and cliffs and guards and red herrings - and a mimic. And what combat there is seems appropriate/flexible. It's much more in line with what I expected coming in and I think it will go fine.

Anyway, again, all the discussion here has been very informative so thanks.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

jmzero posted:

For what it's worth, it sounds like the kids are having a blast! In my experience, a lot of the best parts of D&D are found in the things in between the combat set pieces. If people are having fun and you're telling some good stories, then the rest is gravy. You bring up some great points and you're not alone in your concerns about how the modules are written with so little structure, but don't feel constrained by the books - if you feel that something should change or be presented differently, then as the DM it's your role to interpret it differently for players. Railroading is fine, and not railroading is also fine.

As others have mentioned, players tend to be much less critical than the DMs because they don't know the difference between what is written on the page and what is collaborative creative work. Embrace the part of D&D that is the freeform storytelling, and jettison the reference material that you don't need. As long as you're having fun, and the players are having fun, then you're doing everything right.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

P-Mack posted:

It seems pretty straightforward to run Dragon of Icespire Peak simultaneously with Lost Mine of Phandelver so I think I might give that a shot. Let the kids level up pretty quick to 3 or so, then do easy side quests to their heart's content until they want to tackle the main quest.

I'm working on a mini-reworked Mines for 2 players at the moment. Heavily debating it I want to change the BBEG to be the Green Dragon in Thundertree or the Dragon Cult so that I can easily transition into Against the Dragon

Hey small rules question because I can't find anything on it with my reading: What classes have the ability to replace the Strength/Dex rolls with something else for weapon attacks? I know Hexblade can replace them with Cha using their hexblade'd weapon but are there others?

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Aug 15, 2021

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Battlesmiths can use int for all magic weapons (and can make a weapon magical with an infusion). Anyone that can cast Shillelagh can attack with wis with quartestaffs and other wooden weapons.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Toshimo posted:

Not if you are delaying barb progression for it

What do you mean? The plan for my character was:

Barb to 8 (maxes strength at this point with the ASI)
Fighter to 3 (for Champion dip)
Back to Barb for the rest (we are playing Descent into Avernus, which means there are 15 levels of progression, give or take), which is another 4 levels.

He misses Brutal Critical (13), and Totemic Attunement (14, Bear, which gives that sweet defender aura, to be fair), and then Persistent Rage (15), which seems like a nice to have, not a need to have. I also lose a few HP in having smaller HD for the 3 Fighter levels, and delay an ASI/Feat for 3 levels

In exchange, I get an extra 10% chance to crit (https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/895vil/i_calculated_how_much_of_an_effect_advantage_and/), action surge, and a +1 to AC.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
A lot of ppl have given good advice re: jimzero's post. I'd like to add: it's not written anywhere, but you can use Inspiration to allow players to use super cool moves during combat to spice it up. Most players just use it to give advantage, but you can change that (your table your rules). Inspiration is given by DM fiat, a non-stackable once-usable 'resource' that players use whenever they like, and DMs award as incentive for good or interesting play, or non-violent solutions.

The table-flipping thief could use Inspiration to do the flip, and then be awarded an additional +dmg or +hit to account for their momentum (or just rule of cool), or it could be used as a kinda bonus reaction for traps, one that lowers trap DC. There are many ways you could customize the mechanic. The sky's the limit.

sponszi
Dec 15, 2013
Pact of the Tome warlocks can also get CHA-based shillelagh as a cantrip, and for whatever reason Dhampir lineage uses CON for its bite attack.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Gridlocked posted:

I'm working on a mini-reworked Mines for 2 players at the moment. Heavily debating it I want to change the BBEG to be the Green Dragon in Thundertree or the Dragon Cult so that I can easily transition into Against the Dragon

Hey small rules question because I can't find anything on it with my reading: What classes have the ability to replace the Strength/Dex rolls with something else for weapon attacks? I know Hexblade can replace them with Cha using their hexblade'd weapon but are there others?

One of the artificer subclasses can use INT o think

LadyThorne
Dec 12, 2005
The lazy
One thing I've found useful to address long rest abuse is to make sure the world keeps moving while they rest - alerted enemies call allies, fortify positions, prepare better tactics, plot things like saving captives being delayed might result in some prisoner deaths, etc. Make sure they fortify the room they are resting in, or they could be harassed by alerted enemies, preventing a long rest. All of this is harder of course at the start of the campaign when threads are few and enemies that are too smart kill the party.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

My group took a long break but we’re looking to get back together soon. The guy DMing wants to run Candlekeep stuff because we’re planning to just goof around for 10-15 sessions, not get into a super long campaign.

Without spoiling too much, anyone have opinions on which of the adventures are good and which are bad? We’re fine with any level, most of us enjoy making characters.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Mr. Humalong posted:

My group took a long break but we’re looking to get back together soon. The guy DMing wants to run Candlekeep stuff because we’re planning to just goof around for 10-15 sessions, not get into a super long campaign.

Without spoiling too much, anyone have opinions on which of the adventures are good and which are bad? We’re fine with any level, most of us enjoy making characters.

Everyone I know raves about the Lv. 5 one, "The Price of Beauty", so think that's a safe bet.

I have not enjoyed running the Lv. 8 one, "Lore of Lurue", but opinion may vary.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

jmzero posted:

Yep - the book says to level up after each of the first missions (regardless of XP), so we'll process that to start.

The other thing I'll note is that I'm railroading them into the next quest, and it (Gnomengarde) looks significantly better than the first one. There's some standard RPG set pieces to work through: traps and levers and cliffs and guards and red herrings - and a mimic. And what combat there is seems appropriate/flexible. It's much more in line with what I expected coming in and I think it will go fine.

Anyway, again, all the discussion here has been very informative so thanks.

One last thing that I'd mention jmzero, as everyone else covered all the other important bits. It's not really stated anywhere that I can remember, but I would *highly* encourage reading/skimming through the entire campaign book yourself before you even run the first session, and then make sure to reread each "chapter" or whatever is about 2-4 sessions ahead of the characters every few sessions.

There's typically a lot of hints, foreshadowing, and most importantly, ways for you as the GM to see where the best points would be to weave in your player's backstory and the party's earlier choices into the tale you're collectively weaving. I highly encourage you give each player at least a session each that has some heavy ties to their backstory, or at least a few meaningful challenges that play to their personality/backstory/etc. Here and there. I think the girl's would especially love that if they were really invested in creating their character's backstory.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

BabyFur Denny posted:

One of the artificer subclasses can use INT o think

Both Armorer and Battle Smith do.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Mederlock posted:

One last thing that I'd mention jmzero, as everyone else covered all the other important bits. It's not really stated anywhere that I can remember, but I would *highly* encourage reading/skimming through the entire campaign book yourself before you even run the first session, and then make sure to reread each "chapter" or whatever is about 2-4 sessions ahead of the characters every few sessions.

There's typically a lot of hints, foreshadowing, and most importantly, ways for you as the GM to see where the best points would be to weave in your player's backstory and the party's earlier choices into the tale you're collectively weaving. I highly encourage you give each player at least a session each that has some heavy ties to their backstory, or at least a few meaningful challenges that play to their personality/backstory/etc. Here and there. I think the girl's would especially love that if they were really invested in creating their character's backstory.

Yeah this can be very useful. You don't need to read everything in detail, but you want to get a decent idea of the story as a whole. If you're telling the story of the Lord of the Rings, you'd want to know that the hobbits meet a wizard, travel through Moria, and end up at Mount Doom. You'd want to take note of some of the major figures in the world like the elves and the kingdoms of man, even if you'd need to look up their names before mentioning them during play. This sort of skimming keeps you grounded and provides context for the overall story that you are narrating.

Beyond that initial read, you'll also want to read ahead enough to know most of the specifics for the current session and the one after. To continue the example: You'll read up on Bilbo's Birthday, the call to adventure, and the Black Riders - and know enough about Tom Bombadil to cover yourself if your players extend the session or proceed quicker than expected. Doing this sort of research really helps during play, and it also ensures that you can plan out your campaign (eg. "This session will be filled with role-playing, my Bard player loves that sort of thing so I can feature them. The next session will be about forest exploration and I can focus on what my Ranger player loves (or avoid what they don't). And I remember that there will be a big combat set piece eventually, so maybe I should foreshadow an NPC that I'll introduce in the future.")

Kaal fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 15, 2021

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Whats the general goon opinion on using dnd beyond for an easy way to keep all my stuff in one spot? I asked in the discord and was immediately told its bad because of 5e by like five people. Great experience.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Captainsalami posted:

Whats the general goon opinion on using dnd beyond for an easy way to keep all my stuff in one spot? I asked in the discord and was immediately told its bad because of 5e by like five people. Great experience.

What discord?

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Trad games discord.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
dndbeyond is way easier than paper, that's for drat sure. If you're playing 5e, you should be using it, in my humble opinion.

I am getting a free ride off of my DM's subscription, but even if I had to pay, I'd do it. The comparison between being able to have all your info ready at hand vs. having to page through the PHB to look up every spell, let alone the effects of magic items? It's a huge timesaver.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Captainsalami posted:

I use it for all of my characters since rolling on Roll20 through it is super simple. I'd keep all my character-side stuff there and DM-side assets on Roll20 for ease of use (then DMing notes in Word, personally)

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Captainsalami posted:

We use it, and it works fine. Free accounts can hold up to six characters.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Probably gonna pick up a book or two, thanks.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I keep everything about my character in a notebook where I can write down NPC names and clues and maps too. Using a computer would ruin the fun.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rutibex posted:

I keep everything about my character in a notebook where I can write down NPC names and clues and maps too. Using a computer would ruin the fun.

I export my character stuff to a pdf and print that out. Everything by hand from there. If we were playing remotely I might use the computerized dice, but they're generally more hassle than they're worth. Physically rolling dice is generally faster and makes for better social interaction.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Captainsalami posted:

Trad games discord.

Yeah, they aren't even affiliated with SA, anymore, and have developed their own weird subculture. I'd avoid it.

As far as DND Beyond goes, a lot of people like the integration and I do praise them for having an a-la-carte system so if you just want to buy 1 subclass or race, you don't need the whole book.

That said, I 100% recommend looking for coupon codes or waiting for sales to pick up whole books, because it's basically just lighting money on fire to buy at MSRP.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I'm playing trough Storm King's Thunder right now, we just met Zephos in his very silly tower and we are kind of back-filling character details as we go. My character is a Paladin and I am interested in the idea that in 5e paladins don't seem to need to be dedicated to a god, however you do come with a holy symbol which do seem to tied to gods or pantheons specifically. my paladin does have have pretty strong tie to Chauntea, but I was wondering what people's thoughts were on alternative to god-centric holy symbols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Ash Rose posted:

I'm playing trough Storm King's Thunder right now, we just met Zephos in his very silly tower and we are kind of back-filling character details as we go. My character is a Paladin and I am interested in the idea that in 5e paladins don't seem to need to be dedicated to a god, however you do come with a holy symbol which do seem to tied to gods or pantheons specifically. my paladin does have have pretty strong tie to Chauntea, but I was wondering what people's thoughts were on alternative to god-centric holy symbols.

I've seen a few set ups where the Paladin is tied to a concept or ideal, so the holy symbol is just a symbol of an abstract concept, instead of a specific individual deity. Maybe a symbol for glory could be an etching of a trumpet, Conquest could be a closed fist, etc etc.