Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Mordja posted:

Well I guess Eggwife sure is a game if you desperately wanted to peer inside the mind of a zoomer coprophilic UK furry. uuuuuuuuuuh :psyduck:

You don't get what's funny I guess. It's honestly the highlight of Realms Deep for me and I'm so glad to see literally anything other than rock music, ugly metal textures, bad cthulhu monsters, and everyone trying to make Dusk again when honestly I didn't even like Dusk.
Just glad to see something so utterly bonkers for the first time in ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If they make a Quake port for consoles they should rescue the Quake 2 Xbox 360 port that came with Quake 4 and slap it on PS4XBONE/PSERIES5XS aswell.

I'll buy both games for consoles and if they release a physical version too :shepspends:

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Quake 1 and Quake 2 are good and fun and have good soundtracks in my opinion

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Guillermus posted:

If they make a Quake port for consoles they should rescue the Quake 2 Xbox 360 port that came with Quake 4 and slap it on PS4XBONE/PSERIES5XS aswell.

I'll buy both games for consoles and if they release a physical version too :shepspends:

I have some bad news about where future releases might appear vis a vis consoles

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If they don't release them, it's fine. If they do, is fine but also bad for my wallet. I'm cool being able to play them on my PC (or even android device) only.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Guillermus posted:

If they don't release them, it's fine. If they do, is fine but also bad for my wallet. I'm cool being able to play them on my PC (or even android device) only.
I think Barudak was implying that they won't appear on Playstation due to the whole Bethesda/Microsoft thing.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

With all these news, we missed the news of Wrath being officially delayed. Again. Not like it's surprising
https://twitter.com/skacky/status/1426671590566158337

What it seems funny to me is how they argue the problem is the engine:

Uhh... no one forced you to use that engine. You chose it. That decision is also part of your game development. You could have done like Dusk and use Unity or even UE4 like some other boomer shooters.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Turin Turambar posted:

Uhh... no one forced you to use that engine. You chose it. That decision is also part of your game development. You could have done like Dusk and use Unity or even UE4 like some other boomer shooters.

To be 100% fair, what brought the game to my personal attention (and maybe a few other's) was that it's a capital-Q Quake game. All sorts of poo poo will be forgiven! That's still a very whine-y post, though.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

I see absolutely nothing wrong with that twitter thread. They also lost a key team member for a long time - the one with the most engine knowledge - to some undisclosed illness. Making a game on an old engine like that is rough, but the results thusfar have been a class apart so i'm willing to wait it out.

koren fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 15, 2021

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
It sounds like the team's generally gone through the wringer during the lockdowns with various people leaving the project for various reasons, including the original project lead. I suspect that project management issues and team attrition are at least as much of a concern as beating DarkPlaces into shape is, especially with all the other games shown that were making their name based purely on forcing other old engines to do things they absolutely weren't made for. (Seriously, how the gently caress is Selaco doing pretty much anything it does? I'm probably going to spend most of next year just tearing that thing to pieces figuring out its magic tricks.)

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they should have just written their own engine in pascal like the hrot dev did

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Selaco's looking extremely good. That and Prodeus's full release are my most anticipated retro FPSes in the near future. Might pick up Wrath if that turns out well, but it looks like that won't be happening any time soon.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

I think Barudak was implying that they won't appear on Playstation due to the whole Bethesda/Microsoft thing.

Oh, I plan on getting both a PS5 and a Series X this generation so I'll take it if they're Microsoft exclusives.

Also:
https://twitter.com/hedondev/status/1426660467943092231?s=19

Free update to Hedon 2 for those owning the first. :nice:

thedangergroove
Nov 14, 2004
Long for karate day.
I ended up really enjoying the couple of levels I played of the Fashion Police Squad demo. The "weapons" feel punchy, the movement and gameplay feel right, and I really like the look and style. It's nice to play a FPS that's bright, goofy, and queer instead of just murky and murdery.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

I thought the melee only mode for Hedon was far more enjoyable than the base game. That said, itt was entertaining enough, so i'm looking forward to seeing what kind of thirsty orc fanart is hidden in every level.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Hedon was cool though it did drag on a bit near the end. I never tried the melee only mode though.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hey someone clear up something for me about Selaco. It's very obviously inspired (to say the least) by FEAR, but does it actually have the slo-mo? I've assumed it does, but especially after that last gameplay trailer, now I'm not sure.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

thedangergroove posted:

I ended up really enjoying the couple of levels I played of the Fashion Police Squad demo. The "weapons" feel punchy, the movement and gameplay feel right, and I really like the look and style. It's nice to play a FPS that's bright, goofy, and queer instead of just murky and murdery.

I’ve been following it on Reddit for a while and been more than impressed by it so far. I agree it’s nice to have a shooter where you don’t kill anyone, and the fact that at the end of each level is a catwalk of all of the fashion criminals you’ve rehabilitated is pretty genius. Hopefully it holds up over the full game. Definitely a full price purchase for me just to support the dev.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Surprising news from the developer of Cruelty Squad:

https://twitter.com/villecallio/status/1426800387122769921

Granted, that's before Steam's cut and taxes, but that's way more than I think anyone expected a game with such a... challenging aesthetic to rack up.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Sounds like somebody has a CEO mindset.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

The Kins posted:

Granted, that's before Steam's cut and taxes, but that's way more than I think anyone expected a game with such a... challenging aesthetic to rack up.

Yeah that sort of revenue is pretty crazy actually.

I bought it the day before the Realms Deep sale and could've refunded to get my $5 back, but gently caress it. Indie devs need all the love they can get for doing such unique stuff.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/ion-fury-aftershock-coming-q1-2022

So, in case anyone gave a bother, this article here is saying the expansion pack for Ion Fury is delayed until next year. However...this is the only place I've seen this news. Neither 3DR or Voidpoint's twitter says anything, and neither news pages on Steam for the base game or the expansion say anything either. I only tuned in for Realms Deep periodically, did they say something about it there.

PepsimanVsJoe
Nov 16, 2007
Between Blood & Dusk, I find myself questioning why anyone would put tiny killer rats in their shooters.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

PepsimanVsJoe posted:

Between Blood & Dusk, I find myself questioning why anyone would put tiny killer rats in their shooters.
i have good news about Cruelty Squad!

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

i have good news about Cruelty Squad!

they even inflict a poison status effect as an added bonus lol

At least you can equip the hazmat suit to nullify that part

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

https://techraptor.net/gaming/news/ion-fury-aftershock-coming-q1-2022

So, in case anyone gave a bother, this article here is saying the expansion pack for Ion Fury is delayed until next year. However...this is the only place I've seen this news. Neither 3DR or Voidpoint's twitter says anything, and neither news pages on Steam for the base game or the expansion say anything either. I only tuned in for Realms Deep periodically, did they say something about it there.

I don't think anything was said about it. infact, I'm fairly certain they only showed a trailer for it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I didn't know any of the games/expansions (IF, Wrath, AE, Graven, etc) had any release dates at all. :shrug:

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I think I'm done buying early access games. I've got a bunch of em in my steam library just waiting to be finished.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Cruelty Squad owns so hard

Shions of Qud

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The Kins posted:

GString dev on suicide watch

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

verbal enema posted:

Cruelty Squad owns so hard

I hear it over and over again, but I can’t get over how ferociously, deliberately ugly it is. Should I really give it a shot anyway?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Hasturtium posted:

I hear it over and over again, but I can’t get over how ferociously, deliberately ugly it is. Should I really give it a shot anyway?

One of the greatest tricks the game pulls is the juxtaposition between how it looks and how it plays. You come for the memes but you stay for the actually incredibly solid game underneath. If you don't find the style at least a little bit intriguing though no promises that it'll be able to hook you.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.

Hasturtium posted:

Absolutely. Even if you don't necessarily "like" the art style, if you are least find it interesting you should be able to adjust. I really couldn't see the game working nearly as well if it had a more palatable art style. The gameplay is solid regardless, but the style is central to its themes.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
The gameplay loop is so loving satisfying, even when failing and retrying missions.

At times I've found the weird body horror parts of the aesthetic to be too much and it makes me uneasy. But to me that's a separate layer from the gaudy bright textures and low poly levels. If I could mod out all the uncomfortable writhing poo poo on the menus I could play it all day.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Individual assets from the game are super ugly but I find that everything comes together really well as a whole. The music and writing really help the insane graphics feel more cohesive. I love this game's aesthetics more than I love the gameplay (and the gameplay is loving sick).

But then I remember the music in Bog Business

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Cruelty Squad is so much more pleasant to look at than other ugly throwback games like Devil Daggers

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I'd love if Devil Daggers had an easy mode or something.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I would buy Cruelty Squad on Switch.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

When the Steam Deck was announced, Cruelty Squad in bed was one of the first things I thought of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Excited to check on my Cruelty Squad holdings on the go