Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

poo poo like gamergate helped propel it, especially among younger people, but the state of the US right today goes back way further. Dudes like Romney, Liz Cheney, and the Bush clan act like they're ashamed but the inmates are running the asylum directly because of right-wing political strategy that started long before.

Gamergate hardly propelled anything, it consisted of 5,000-10,000 supporters at it's peak, and half of them weren't even american, and most identified as leftist or liberal. Sean Hannity has been speaking to 3-5 million people 5 days a week for the past 15 years. Even stormfront's registered userbase dwarfs gamergate's most optimistic numbers. It was inevitable that white nationalists would creep onto every other new social media site that became popular.

The Tea Party movement alone was a million times more influential on the state of modern conservatism, and it's amazing how many people have forgotten all the insane rallies and the record number of seats the GOP picked up in 2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

OgNar posted:

To round all the Mike Lindell poo poo up
He never did produce the proof he has been promising all this time.
What he had was 37tb of data that was not proof and potentially was illegal for him to even obtain. Also his own expert said it was pretty much worthless.

As mentioned Dominion dropped their new lawsuit on him right at the start of his 3 day bonanza, sending him running off stage.
He claimed at the very start that he would not leave that stage for 72 hours, no eating or sleep, then 2 hours later while reading twitter, claimed he never said that.
(Not positive if a new lawsuit was brought up or if it was the fact that a judge said the lawsuit against him and Rudy and Powell could proceed<--(yeah this))

His video screens had hexdumps scrolling the whole time, very Matrixy, of course it was junk and no one can really read that poo poo anyway, certainly not the fanatics that follow him.
On his 3rd morning he thought he would garner some sympathy by claiming antifa had attacked him at his hotel, police report was filed like 16 hours after the fact. Also claims of antifa causing a ruckus on site, yet video of parking lot show hippy chicks preaching and dancing.
Pretty much the entire start of his 3rd day was him talking about his crack addiction and how jesus saved his life, for hours.

Even Steve Bannon poo poo on him because he failed to produce any proof.

I like following Mike Lindell in the same way I liked to follow Lindsey Lohan.
Both total loving train wrecks whose entire lives are just a series of clusterfucks.

The best part of it all was the person who supplied the stolen election information to this very public freakout was none other than Dennis L. Montgomery. A professional con man. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_L._Montgomery

His own lawyer called him a con man. I honestly believe Lindell is using again, on top of some massive mental illness.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Zeroisanumber posted:

Like, tbf the German rockets really would have been war-winning wonder weapons if they'd been deployed in 1940. But they weren't. They were developed at a time when they were basically weapons of spite.

I don't think they would have been. Even in 1940 the costs in both money and materiel would have been prohibitive then.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

DarkCrawler posted:

I don't think they would have been. Even in 1940 the costs in both money and materiel would have been prohibitive then.

And they were also super inaccurate and some would even blow up at launch.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

Literally every myth of German superiority from WW2 was completely fabricated.

Everything from the rockets to their uniforms, to their meth'd to the gills generals constantly trying to stay one step ahead of their rivals to avoid losing power. That fact that Nazi Germany actually achieved anything with the sheer amount of incompetence, waste, and personnel mismanagement is a testament to institutional inertia more then anything.

The famous Tiger Tanks were so over engineered and insanely hard to repair the fact there were any effective German armored divisions was practically a miracle.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

pentyne posted:

Literally every myth of German superiority from WW2 was completely fabricated.

Everything from the rockets to their uniforms, to their meth'd to the gills generals constantly trying to stay one step ahead of their rivals to avoid losing power. That fact that Nazi Germany actually achieved anything with the sheer amount of incompetence, waste, and personnel mismanagement is a testament to institutional inertia more then anything.

The famous Tiger Tanks were so over engineered and insanely hard to repair the fact there were any effective German armored divisions was practically a miracle.

But they were great at naming things and looking cool, and that is pretty much all you need to be remembered as a badass fighting force by most.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

Like, tbf the German rockets really would have been war-winning wonder weapons if they'd been deployed in 1940. But they weren't. They were developed at a time when they were basically weapons of spite.

Not a chance. The V1 was interceptable by aircraft and the V2 while certainly terrifying couldn't do anywhere near enough damage to make a difference. Unless you're picturing millions of missiles just popping up out of nowhere magically.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Gamergate got a bunch of already shifty white boys involved in politics that would have been content to stay apolitical and at worst scream racial slurs during halo matches.

Tea Party was for the Olds, gg brought in the young.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Hahahaha no seriously goons, if the Nazis had gotten the entire planned array of V3 rocket bunkers online and also had built and orbited the loving space station they had plans for they could have held out against the combined resources of like 60% of the earth’s landmasses :rolleyes:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I went on a bit of a V2 research kick after reading Gravity's Rainbow, and one of my favorite things about the operating manual (available in English, thanks Operation Paperclip!) is that it has to repeatedly warn the reader not to drink rocket fuel, with even a poem to make it memorable.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If the hollow earth project had been completed in time the Allies would never have been able to breach Aryan defenses

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ravenfood posted:

Not a chance. The V1 was interceptable by aircraft and the V2 while certainly terrifying couldn't do anywhere near enough damage to make a difference. Unless you're picturing millions of missiles just popping up out of nowhere magically.

I was thinking more of a larger program that had been properly developed and had a good number of V-2s deployed during the Battle of Britain.

But everyone is right that anachronistic wankery over the Nazi war machine gets stupid fast.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

After The War posted:

I went on a bit of a V2 research kick after reading Gravity's Rainbow, and one of my favorite things about the operating manual (available in English, thanks Operation Paperclip!) is that it has to repeatedly warn the reader not to drink rocket fuel, with even a poem to make it memorable.

Part of the problem with the ME-262 was that the fuel was ridiculously volatile and corrosive. A lot of people were burned by the corrosive fuel, but at least one pilot died when the fuel tank ruptured and flooded the cockpit with corrosive fuel and dissolved him like an antacid tablet.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Zeroisanumber posted:

Part of the problem with the ME-262 was that the fuel was ridiculously volatile and corrosive. A lot of people were burned by the corrosive fuel, but at least one pilot died when the fuel tank ruptured and flooded the cockpit with corrosive fuel and dissolved him like an antacid tablet.

The V-2/A4 was fueled with ethyl alcohol, so it makes a little more sense that they were afraid grunts would partake.

The poem was something to the effect of "a soldier drank rocket fuel and went blind, and was so distraught he had some more to kill himself." Fun stuff!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The Red Army's occupation of Afghanistan was fueled by terrible booze distilled from MiG jet fuel. It's not uncommon. Also it will make you go blind.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

The Germans also never figured out large scale mass production of war material, since Hitler (and the people he put in charge of various parts of the economy) basically refused to stop producing consumer goods in the way the US did, and with a much smaller industrial capacity to being with.

As an example, from 1939-45, Germany built about 46,000 tanks of all types, whereas the US managed to produce somewhere around 80,000 in 1942-44.

The same thing applied to aircraft. From 1939-45, Germany built about 18,000 bombers and 53,000 fighters of all types, whereas the US alone built around 100,000 fighters and about the same number of bombers from 1940-45, so even if various wonder weapons made it into production, they would have simply been overwhelmed by the fact that the Allies were producing a hell of a lot more of everything.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

After The War posted:

Everyone needs to be reminded not to do that though.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I mean it practically invites you to sample with its intoxicating aroma!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

There were some very good posts on here maybe in the pyf historical facts thread that went into great detail on how the Nazi uniforms were insanely stupid and bad. Like, they demanded completely unnecessarily complex pocket structure for supposedly mass produced uniforms, they had details that were entirely useless because those features were overlayed by other uniform layers, and how some uniforms required the wearer to strip 90% naked to piss.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
my two cents on the current WW2 tech chat, is

stuff i learned from this video about massively giant heavy metal presses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpgK51w6uhk

and i think its bullshit the US thinks its current 50 Kton presses are fine for our needs.

gently caress you Trump Biden, make the 200 Kton monster. make the big number machine!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Zeroisanumber posted:

I believe that was the 163, not the 262. The 163 was the rocket propelled one that only had a skid to land on and the pilot supposedly couldn't land until the rocket was out of fuel.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012

Pookah posted:

There were some very good posts on here maybe in the pyf historical facts thread that went into great detail on how the Nazi uniforms were insanely stupid and bad. Like, they demanded completely unnecessarily complex pocket structure for supposedly mass produced uniforms, they had details that were entirely useless because those features were overlayed by other uniform layers, and how some uniforms required the wearer to strip 90% naked to piss.

I'm glad someone else remembered that, was trying to find it and couldn't, thought maybe I'd made it up.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It was Cessna in the milhist thread originally.

Nazi procurement and industry was hosed compared to the US or USSR, on almost every level.

Even ignoring the RWM-adjacent faults specific to them being fascists, which was common, they lacked even basic competence in things like the assembly line. The allies were running tanks down the line Ford-style, the nazis were having a single crew build them from start to finish, bespoke crafting each panzer. Less efficient and it means when the thing breaks you can't just use any part, you need to know when and where it came from. A Sherman or a T-34, if any three break you can gut them and stuff the parts into one functional tank. Then comes the nazi poo poo, like resenting the idea of letting women replace the men drafted at the job, or using slave labour that encouraged poo poo tier jobs and active sabotage.

This is drifting from the topic pretty far but it does illustrate really well the myth of the ultra-efficient survival of the fittest right propaganda vs the reality of what it leads to

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Aug 15, 2021

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Taerkar posted:

I believe that was the 163, not the 262. The 163 was the rocket propelled one that only had a skid to land on and the pilot supposedly couldn't land until the rocket was out of fuel.

Primarily because the T-stoff (oxidizer, the thing that dissolved the test pilot) and the C-stoff (the fuel) were hypergolic, immediately igniting when mixed at room temperature. Also the fuels looked almost the same to the naked eye. So they had to make a complex testing system just to make sure they put the two fuels in the right tanks lest they explode right then and there.

The 163 was an incredibly unsafe design even by rocket plane standards. The landing skid idea alone caused severe skull and spinal injuries if the pilot didn't do it right.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 15, 2021

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Pookah posted:

PlisskensEyePatch posted:

I'm glad someone else remembered that, was trying to find it and couldn't, thought maybe I'd made it up.

I'm sad y'all can't find that cus it sounds hilarious and I'd love to read more

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
Found it. Apologies for derail.

Hot tip, sort by Cessna's username cuz he's got some incredible stuff prior to this post, including the Special Booties that Special Partroopers had to wear on their Special Paratrooper Boots so as not to dirty up the cargo planes they jumped from.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950461&pagenumber=104&perpage=40&userid=0#post513996717

PlisskensEyePatch fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 15, 2021

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'll admit that the only thing I know about German WW2 tech was what I learned playing Axis & Allies.

Which wasn't much since we didn't use those optional rules.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

“Person who knows way too much about WWII” has become quite the negative stereotype in recent years. For….reasons….

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

I read this when the discussion came up in another thread. Don't skip this, it's amazing history. In the same thread Cessna goes into detail about tanks and industrial manufacturing thereof and how fascism can't help but poo poo the bed in every aspect of life.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Everything I ever needed to know about the reality of the nazi war machine myth was laid out in a Lions Led by Donkeys episode from, poo poo, several years ago at this point. The host lays out that somewhere under 1600 Tigers were manufactured and fielded by the nazis during all of World War Two, and during the year 1942 just the state of Michigan was rolling 1200 Shermans per month off of their lines.

There are plenty of other hilarious details to dig into, but just understanding this production disparity and that it extended to basically every activity required to support war-making gives a workable and comprehensive understanding of the issues.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Taerkar posted:

Oh, you're right, the 262 used diesel. Although the 163 was even more famous for simply exploding when the engine was turned on.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I read this when the discussion came up in another thread. Don't skip this, it's amazing history. In the same thread Cessna goes into detail about tanks and industrial manufacturing thereof and how fascism can't help but poo poo the bed in every aspect of life.

the problem with fascism is that it shits everyone's beds. it has all the power in the world to get bedshitters into positions of authority and then they go and do what they do

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

LonsomeSon posted:

The host lays out that somewhere under 1600 Tigers were manufactured and fielded by the nazis during all of World War Two, and during the year 1942 just the state of Michigan was rolling 1200 Shermans per month off of their lines.

Sounds like this dude I used to play Civ IV against. HOW DO YOU HAVE NEW TANKS EVERY TURN? HOW ARE THEY ALL PROMOTED TO BLITZ?!?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

LonsomeSon posted:

Everything I ever needed to know about the reality of the nazi war machine myth was laid out in a Lions Led by Donkeys episode from, poo poo, several years ago at this point. The host lays out that somewhere under 1600 Tigers were manufactured and fielded by the nazis during all of World War Two, and during the year 1942 just the state of Michigan was rolling 1200 Shermans per month off of their lines.

John Parshal, one of the men behind the excellent "Shattered Sword" book on Midway did a presentation as part of a whole thing on Kursk talking about the overall inefficiency of the German tank production.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6xLMUifbxQ&t=1581s

Timestamp of 26:21 if it doesn't load properly.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Taerkar posted:

John Parshal, one of the men behind the excellent "Shattered Sword" book on Midway did a presentation as part of a whole thing on Kursk talking about the overall inefficiency of the German tank production.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6xLMUifbxQ&t=1581s

Timestamp of 26:21 if it doesn't load properly.

Btw, "Shattered Sword" is the best book about a portion of the Pacific War that I've ever read.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Lawdog69 posted:

Isn’t it more “was developed using” rather than “made from”? I think you got to the right conclusion in any case.

I know that. The republican base doesn't. So, I keep saying "oh you don't trust science but you'll let THEM use stem cells on you?"

It's less about "changing minds" and more about "loving with idiot traitors".

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Zeroisanumber posted:

Btw, "Shattered Sword" is the best book about a portion of the Pacific War that I've ever read.

And also very economic and operations focused, for something about a specific battle in the middle of the Pacific. It's not that much a book about how leadership tactics and troop training/morale shape the tide of battle except in how those themselves are shaped by organizational culture, national economies, and past experiences that may or may not be presently applicable.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So Fox News was on this morning and they were talking to a senator from I think Wyoming about the Taliban taking the presidential palace today. Unsurprisingly the right wing talking points are what everyone knew they were going to be: namely, that all of this is Biden's fault, Biden is so awful for doing this, with zero mention of how Trump is the one who signed the peace treaty with the Taliban and started the troop withdrawal. The dude even said that this was "Biden's Vietnam," despite being a war that Biden neither started nor even made the decision to end.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Donnie signed the surrender papers, before which he ignored the conflict for 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawdog69
Nov 2, 2010
When Trump made plans to pull out of Afghanistan it was still cool and good but when Biden executed those plans Afghanistan became hosed and awful. What’s the difference? Biden.