Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Was Odin worthy or just like an admin of the hammer?

Mjolnir didn't have the "you must be this worthy to ride this hammer" requirement until the first Thor movie when Odin banished Thor. Odin didn't immediately drop the hammer after enchanting it, but he also pretty quickly chucked it into the Bifrost and, as near as I can recall, never tried to pick it up after that. So it was never really explored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Thats what i figured. The first thor movie was heavy on "science can seem like magic" but they've seemed to drop that

Listen, you can classify it as an Einstein-Rosen Bridge, or you can call it THE DEVIL'S ANUS, it does the same thing regardless.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

AJA posted:

Listen, you can classify it as an Einstein-Rosen Bridge, or you can call it THE DEVIL'S ANUS, it does the same thing regardless.

You make a strong argument.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Thats what i figured. The first thor movie was heavy on "science can seem like magic" but they've seemed to drop that

Not in the 2nd movie, that line was dropped almost verbatim.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

howe_sam posted:

Mjolnir didn't have the "you must be this worthy to ride this hammer" requirement until the first Thor movie when Odin banished Thor. Odin didn't immediately drop the hammer after enchanting it, but he also pretty quickly chucked it into the Bifrost and, as near as I can recall, never tried to pick it up after that. So it was never really explored.

Wasn't part of the when Loki was impersonating Odin in Ragnarok that when Thor threw Mjolnir and then grabbed Loki-as-Odin he pointed out that if he was the real Odin he wasn't in any danger since he could grab the hammer himself?

They kind of missed a trick when they didn't have Thor just catch Mjolnir with his other hand like he did in the comics, though. It was a neat little detail of Thor getting one over on Loki.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
The next Captain Carter will be how this prevented Spider-Man from happening which will enable Thanos to win or something knowing how what if usually goes. It was a fun episode though!

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

The next Captain Carter will be how this prevented Spider-Man from happening which will enable Thanos to win or something knowing how what if usually goes. It was a fun episode though!

Based on the Hammer chat, she might not be worthy. If she can't pick up the hammer, maybe Thanos kills Thor, then conquers Earth at the end of Endgame.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
Okay, so in this quiet moment between episodes I have a question for comic book people. I just backed Haslab's Galactus, but it's bugging the poo poo out of me why one of his alternate faces is a skull and my searches come up empty. Is it a Marvel Zombie thing, or how he looks when he's super hungry, or what?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
If Rogue can wield the hammer, Peggy can.

(The only what if I've ever read. Found it at the library and was extremely confused).

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Sloth Life posted:

(The only what if I've ever read. Found it at the library and was extremely confused).

Wonder Woman can as well, I was just thinking of odd ways they could change the timeline.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Does Tony even become Iron Man if Steve was already doing it since the 40s? A lot of his arc was building it himself out of necessity (in a cave! With a box of scraps!), I'm not sure trust fund Tony being handed a weapon his dad built gets to the same spot our Tony was at in Endgame.

I mean there's a million things that would be different, I just doubt it came down to Mjolnir at the last second.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
A photo of what is supposedly Moon Knight’s costume is doing the rounds. I’m suspect, but apparently it’s getting copyright strikes from Disney, so maybe?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Hope that gets touched up a bit, looks like a spooky mummy right now.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Sloth Life posted:

That's wild, I wonder if she was able to Absorb "Worthiness" with her ability or if she herself was just worthy.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zil posted:

Hope that gets touched up a bit, looks like a spooky mummy right now.

I mean, it fits?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AngryBooch posted:

That's wild, I wonder if she was able to Absorb "Worthiness" with her ability or if she herself was just worthy.

I genuinely laughed out loud at absorb worthiness and would love this to be canon. :allears:

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
The recent fall of Kabul now just makes it even worse for how Walker regrets the nature of the medal of honor he received. He was also fighting a losing war against over one of the costliest mistakes since Vietnam and having to watch as the US leave behind innocent women and children who would be oppressed by the Taliban. gently caress I have already watch my city become an oppressive hellhole, guess 2020 will be watching the world become an oppressive hellhole as democracy fails

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

AngryBooch posted:

She absorbed Thor's personality and abilities and poo poo *was* wild.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/What_If%3F_Vol_2_66

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

gyrobot posted:

The recent fall of Kabul now just makes it even worse for how Walker regrets the nature of the medal of honor he received. He was also fighting a losing war against over one of the costliest mistakes since Vietnam and having to watch as the US leave behind innocent women and children who would be oppressed by the Taliban. gently caress I have already watch my city become an oppressive hellhole, guess 2020 will be watching the world become an oppressive hellhole as democracy fails

Excuse me, I don't want the crushing reality of this dystopian hellworld brought up in the thread about saccharine superheroes.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Floppychop posted:

Excuse me, I don't want the crushing reality of this dystopian hellworld brought up in the thread about saccharine superheroes.

Everything is political, not sorry about that if we are to examine entertainment with a more serious lens

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

XboxPants posted:

But to me this is LITERALLY the MCU version of Interdimensional Cable

Can't wait to see "Ant-man in my eye Johnson".

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

mcbexx posted:

Can't wait to see "Ant-man in my eye Johnson".
Alternately, "Ant-man defeats Thanos the way the Internet said he should have".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The_Doctor posted:

A photo of what is supposedly Moon Knight’s costume is doing the rounds. I’m suspect, but apparently it’s getting copyright strikes from Disney, so maybe?

My only quibble with that costume is that it isn't white enough, but I'm willing to blame wear and tear in the line of duty. That suit must be a fucker to keep clean, it's no wonder Batman wears black.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Frankenstyle posted:

Okay, so in this quiet moment between episodes I have a question for comic book people. I just backed Haslab's Galactus, but it's bugging the poo poo out of me why one of his alternate faces is a skull and my searches come up empty. Is it a Marvel Zombie thing, or how he looks when he's super hungry, or what?

What If ... Galactus Became The Punisher?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Frankenstyle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv5Oo0BwQw8

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Frankenstyle posted:

Most likely a Marvel Zombies thing. Galactus looks different to everyone that sees him though. That's part of his thing. Every world he goes to sees him as a giant version of one of their own kind or one of their gods.

X-O fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 16, 2021

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

There's also something called the 'Galactus Engine', but I haven't read these comics myself and can't really comment further.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Galactus with a skull is just a semi-common cover art design. In both of the Marvel Zombies universes Galactus gets killed pretty quickly.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Jedit posted:

My only quibble with that costume is that it isn't white enough, but I'm willing to blame wear and tear in the line of duty. That suit must be a fucker to keep clean, it's no wonder Batman wears black.

It is after labour day.

I hope they do like a quick rapid fire, What if... jokey episode at some point, like the comics used to have fun one page what ifs... from time to time that were just jokes.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

It is after labour day.

I hope they do like a quick rapid fire, What if... jokey episode at some point, like the comics used to have fun one page what ifs... from time to time that were just jokes.

I know it's a lovely reference but it's the only one I can think of, but something like Interdimensional cable from Rick and Morty but What If? would be hilarious.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

There was one of those rapid fire What If... Issues where one of the questions was "What if Power Man and Wonder Man were women?" and the page just has a big cease and desist letter from DC.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1427314215694577676
This one's definitely going to be bittersweet :smith:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

8one6 posted:

There was one of those rapid fire What If... Issues where one of the questions was "What if Power Man and Wonder Man were women?" and the page just has a big cease and desist letter from DC.

I picked this one up for like, a dollar, and the whole thing is great

Cyclops shoots ear beams.
Aunt May is iron man (the golden oldie)

Sockser fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Aug 16, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

howe_sam posted:

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1427314215694577676
This one's definitely going to be bittersweet :smith:

Yeah, it’s going to be hard. :smith:

From piecing together bits from the trailers, this one goes into depth about the knock on effects of T’Challa not being in Wakanda. Thus, Killmonger, etc.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

It is after labour day.

22 What Ifs about the the MCU.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Galactus with a skull is just a semi-common cover art design. In both of the Marvel Zombies universes Galactus gets killed pretty quickly.

There was also an Ultimates story where they found a dead Galactus, I think. Hard to say really, since I've tried very hard to forget as much of the Ultimates as possible.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I'm probably overthinking it, but the more I think about ep1 of What If... why does Red Skull change his plan so dramatically? Like, he was originally plotting to supercharge a huge arsenal of weapons for his own world domination. But because of, I guess, one major change (Zola getting captured), he decided on opening a portal to some nether-realm?

I'm sure it was a "because the plot needed to happen" reasoning, but it seemed like an odd direction to go with everything we've known of Red Skull so far.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Doronin posted:

I'm probably overthinking it, but the more I think about ep1 of What If... why does Red Skull change his plan so dramatically? Like, he was originally plotting to supercharge a huge arsenal of weapons for his own world domination. But because of, I guess, one major change (Zola getting captured), he decided on opening a portal to some nether-realm?

I'm sure it was a "because the plot needed to happen" reasoning, but it seemed like an odd direction to go with everything we've known of Red Skull so far.

I think it was more that the Tesseract got stolen than Zola, so he didn't have anything to do other than poke around the place he originally found it and found Odin's old "How to Create a Portal to the Realm of the Old Gods (And Other Fun Party Tricks)" book.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Doronin posted:

It's not just Zola getting captured, it's not having the Tesseract. Skull's plan is 'win the war, but for Hydra not Hitler'. In the film that's by using the Tesseract to develop the super bombs and bombers and associated cool tech. In the What If Germany is very much losing the war and he's running out of time and only gets the Tesseract at the last moment, so rather than develop and understand and build things he has to leap straight to 'summon elder god'.

And the plot needed to happen. But it's reasonable enough that things go differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Nazis using space magic to open a portal to the tentacle dimension was very Hellboy