Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

Yes, it's strange that they're so much more angry about masks than they've been about vaccines. I suppose it's because you can tell who's not wearing a mask but you can't know for sure if someone isn't vaccinated. But the level of vitriol is something else.

Anecdotally, I know some people who got vaccinated and are pretty pissed about renewed mask mandates because they feel like they did the right thing already and have minimal risk now and think it's bullshit that they have to wear masks because some morons didn't get vaccinated. And some governments seem to be prioritizing masks over vaccines, as when DC gyms asked the city if they could require vaccination instead of masks and the city said no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I got my first shot this week and I've had a weird stabbing pain in my left temple ever since.. it feels like a very thin needle is lightly pressing into the skin, it doesn't hurt but it does almost feel like a mosquito is biting me almost. Is that my 5g chip embedding itself into my brain?

Seriously though its a really weird feeling and the only side effect I've had aside from injection site soreness.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Constipated posted:

I got my first shot this week and I've had a weird stabbing pain in my left temple ever since.. it feels like a very thin needle is lightly pressing into the skin, it doesn't hurt but it does almost feel like a mosquito is biting me almost. Is that my 5g chip embedding itself into my brain?

Seriously though its a really weird feeling and the only side effect I've had aside from injection site soreness.

They were supposed to put it in your arm.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Reddit asks ”What is the science behind Fomite transmission and Covid-19?”

I link this not because it got any particularly insightful answer, but because respondents confirm that many of them are still washing their groceries or were right up till they got the vaccine.

The public remains misinformed. Lots of people are trying their best. They’ve just never been told, in so many words, that they should stop washing their pizzas and get better respiratory protection.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Platystemon posted:

I link this not because it got any particularly insightful answer, but because respondents confirm that many of them are still washing their groceries or were right up till they got the vaccine.

The public remains misinformed. Lots of people are trying their best. They’ve just never been told, in so many words, that they should stop washing their pizzas and get better respiratory protection.

We've hashed out the fomite debate before, and to my knowledge the outcome is the same: the possibility remains poorly studied, and if someone feels safer by wiping down a box of pasta with a bit of alcohol I'm not going to waste my time giving them any guff over it.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

yook posted:

Are you sure you’re not confusing it with the BLM protests? I thought they back traced a ton of COVID spread to last year’s Sturgis rally and the first couple google hits refer to it as a super spreader event.

Even if the rally itself is mostly outdoors, I still had the impression it meant a ton of out-of-state people in a too-small town cramming into the bars and restaurants during the evenings.

I saw one news report claiming they tracked just one covid-death to Sturgis'2020. I did not do any searches.

Yeah BLM is another outside mass gathering I have not seen linked to covid breakouts, in addition to lollapalooza and sturgis.

Still, like one poster mentioned, you aint gonna pick up cases if you aint tracking and tracing cases.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

QuarkJets posted:

We've hashed out the fomite debate before, and to my knowledge the outcome is the same: the possibility remains poorly studied, and if someone feels safer by wiping down a box of pasta with a bit of alcohol I'm not going to waste my time giving them any guff over it.

The point isn’t “these folks are morons for soaping up their fruit and veg”, it’s “Look, they’re not throwing in the towel and brunching. They are willing to go out of their way to protect themselves. Why don’t public health authorities guide them in the right direction?”

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Why don’t public health authorities guide them in the right direction?”

they all keep resigning or getting fired because people are terrible

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Platystemon posted:

Did you see the videos of the people licking things at the grocery store?

I’ll never stop at least spraying things I bring home, and leaving them a day or two in their bag before eating

There’s things other than covid

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Platystemon posted:

The point isn’t “these folks are morons for soaping up their fruit and veg”, it’s “Look, they’re not throwing in the towel and brunching. They are willing to go out of their way to protect themselves. Why don’t public health authorities guide them in the right direction?”

That point assumes that they're disinfecting groceries in lieu of proper masking and social distancing, which I don't think is accurate.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

asdf32 posted:

Low doesn’t mean zero but means in the ballpark of other risks we’ve long tolerated.

All the research that’s studied kids.

We also have mountains of science on the benefits of school and early education in particular.
Notttt really. Long Covid is much more likely than the majority of risks we tolerate for children. And “all the research” wasn’t done factoring in the delta variant, which is both massively more infectious than prior strains and appears to be worse for kids.

People pushing “kids are fine, actually!” narratives tend to gently caress up things like infection vs case fatality rate (because science journalism in general is dreadful), or they’re despicable hacks like Emily Oster who both have no expertise in the subject matter AND are funded by far-right billionaires (her Covid info project is funded by the Koch brothers and Peter Thiel, lol).

And yeah, there’s lots of benefits to education and socialization. Unfortunately, the powers that be don’t seem to care about ensuring that children can get these benefits in a safe way, or at least an as-safe-as-possible way.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

asdf32 posted:

I’m also a parent (5 and 2). Covid risk for kids continues to be extremely low especially in high vaccine areas. And school/preschool/daycare is extremely important if your kid is older than 2-3.

https://twitter.com/DanielGriffinMD/status/1426750611572371473

This number, like all of the other numbers, is growing exponentially. I understand that the situation is better in states with high vaccination rates but we've decided that daycare just isn't worth the risk right now

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Zugzwang posted:

Notttt really. Long Covid is much more likely than the majority of risks we tolerate for children. And “all the research” wasn’t done factoring in the delta variant, which is both massively more infectious than prior strains and appears to be worse for kids.

People pushing “kids are fine, actually!” narratives tend to gently caress up things like infection vs case fatality rate (because science journalism in general is dreadful), or they’re despicable hacks like Emily Oster who both have no expertise in the subject matter AND are funded by far-right billionaires (her Covid info project is funded by the Koch brothers and Peter Thiel, lol).

And yeah, there’s lots of benefits to education and socialization. Unfortunately, the powers that be don’t seem to care about ensuring that children can get these benefits in a safe way, or at least an as-safe-as-possible way.

You're replying to a dumbshit who got thread banned from the D&D covid thread for repeatedly saying kids can't get COVID and RSV is the real killer while failing to ever provide any supporting evidence, just fyi before you waste any more effort.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

gently caress these monsters. Make masks mandatory, and duck tape it to their loving faces.

Staple. Or better yet, just put them in prison or on some deserted loving island or something because people who laugh at attempts to comfort children who have lost a parent have no place in a civilized society.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Zugzwang posted:

Psh I was a shut in kid and hardly socialized and look how great I turned out :bederper:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Since we're talking about kids, I want to quote this post from the D&D thread

-Blackadder- posted:

Here's a good twitter thread if you want to see how the dominoes are about to fall in the U.S. when schools open. It also contains references to a good amount of data, including a modeling project on in-school mitigation strategies, which might be something like what you're looking for.
https://twitter.com/denise_dewald/status/1426318422808449029

That twitter thread is very informative. When you look at pediatric hospitalizations with the delta variant, and the current state of pediatric ICUs, it paints a grim picture. And some school districts are stuck between a rock and a hard place; administrators have to choose between letting a bunch of additional kids die or be on the receiving end of death threats and violence from crazed trump cultists

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Y'all are talking about individual behaviors but not the hygiene theater of Applebee's having commercials for over a year that "we have enhanced cleaning protocols" as though the average viewer is checking new NIH studies every month and making informed decisions.

By all means, wash your fruit, disinfect your surfaces, we probably could have been doing more of it to begin with. But letting people believe fomite transmission is more than insignificant has obfuscated the issue of what we need to do to stop transmission.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1426976359654608897

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Zugzwang posted:

You might want to read more about long covid. It’s a group of mostly mild symptoms lasting usually between 4-8 weeks. The vast majority of kids who have long covid symptoms lose them by 8 weeks.

It’s not about covid being no big deal. Lots of things are a big deal. My son was in intensive care for rsv and got sick so many times from 8-10 months with stomach bugs, hand foot mouth and colds that he lost weight. Those are big deals. But so is school and socialization.

A few links on the subject in general.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/07/28/us/covid-schools-at-home-learning-study.amp.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/08/10/opinion/covid-schools-masks.amp.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ws...cdc-11628432716

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 15, 2021

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Platystemon posted:

fomite
fornite
fortnite
Fortnite

1v1 me at Twisted Towers bitch

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

AHH F/UGH posted:

fomite
fornite
fortnite
Fortnite

1v1 me at Twisted Towers bitch

Gonna twist your nipples u nerd

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

asdf32 posted:

You might want to read more about long covid. It’s a group of mostly mild symptoms lasting usually between 4-8 weeks. The vast majority of kids who have long covid symptoms lose them by 8 weeks.

It’s not about covid being no big deal. Lots of things are a big deal. My son was in intensive care for rsv and got sick so many times from 8-10 months with stomach bugs, hand foot mouth and colds that he lost weight. Those are big deals. But so is school and socialization.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/07/28/us/covid-schools-at-home-learning-study.amp.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/08/10/opinion/covid-schools-masks.amp.html

So it's kinda like the other vaccines that cause autism. On one hand, your kid could get the tism from the shots. On the other hand, he could get measles and die. So it's a YOLO thing, righto.

That was sarcasm, I am not anti-vax, but seriously goon, you're like the loving mayor who is told the beach needs to be closed because jellyfish are swarming and their sting can be fatal and your reply is "but it's summer and people love the beach and need to be on the beach!"

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/bhalpin/status/1426624257665155079

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Just found out my very chudly relatives from Florida are flying up to visit family next month and my mom is very strongly hinting at her wanting me to be there. My grandma is not doing well and it's entirely possible this might be the last time I get the opportunity to see her but they're all like fox news watching diehard chuds and I haven't asked but I'm almost certain they aren't vaccinated. And who knows where Florida cases will be a month from now. I just know this is going to be a "well the whole family is here..." type things and ugh man gently caress..

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

this but u have to edit out the gas mask

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

explosivo posted:

Just found out my very chudly relatives from Florida are flying up to visit family next month and my mom is very strongly hinting at her wanting me to be there. My grandma is not doing well and it's entirely possible this might be the last time I get the opportunity to see her but they're all like fox news watching diehard chuds and I haven't asked but I'm almost certain they aren't vaccinated. And who knows where Florida cases will be a month from now. I just know this is going to be a "well the whole family is here..." type things and ugh man gently caress..

My family lives literally 5 minutes from me and my Dad is refusing to let me even go in their house

Tell them they can call you

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

explosivo posted:

If they aren’t vaccinated, it’s their choice to exclude themselves from you hanging out with them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

So it's kinda like the other vaccines that cause autism. On one hand, your kid could get the tism from the shots. On the other hand, he could get measles and die. So it's a YOLO thing, righto.

That was sarcasm, I am not anti-vax, but seriously goon, you're like the loving mayor who is told the beach needs to be closed because jellyfish are swarming and their sting can be fatal and your reply is "but it's summer and people love the beach and need to be on the beach!"

Vitamin D deficiency is a big deal, maybe even worse than death.

If we don't open the beach then we're just letting the jellyfish win

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

asdf32 posted:

There are numerous people in this thread/the forums who have debilitating long covid, months to a year+ after getting infected.

The articles you linked all do not factor in delta. This is something most people, including the CDC (albeit for gross incompetence/political reasons in the latter case), are still denialists about. Over the course of wild type -> alpha -> delta, Covid went from “really contagious” to “really really contagious” to “transmissible outdoors through not especially long interactions.” Was the research you’re looking at done in the US pre-June or so? Then it’s dubious now.

I mean geez, how can you post articles saying “schools are safe” when there are innumerable reports already of school districts that have to close after just days of going Open Biden because a gazillion kids/staff are popping fevers and testing positive? Meanwhile the hospitals are filling up, and the people getting sick won’t be able to get beds. Good times!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

You're replying to a dumbshit who got thread banned from the D&D covid thread for repeatedly saying kids can't get COVID and RSV is the real killer while failing to ever provide any supporting evidence, just fyi before you waste any more effort.
I couldn’t help myself :buddy:

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I have a friend who will smile goofily as he visibly struggles to hide his shallow coughs as if nothing is wrong and he doesn’t obviously have long Covid lung damage

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

AHH F/UGH posted:

I have a friend who will smile goofily as he visibly struggles to hide his shallow coughs as if nothing is wrong and he doesn’t obviously have long Covid lung damage

Long COVID brain damage perhaps ? :thunk:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I went into a menchie's yesteday because I haven't seen one around in ages and I love their stupid yogurt. There were four tables of unmasked people eating in the tiny room and nobody working there had a mask on. The lady who checked me out said 'maybe I should be wearing a mask, the last time I got covid it took me two and a half months to recover' and she was 27 years old.

She's scared of the vaccine because of stories her friends told her.

She's the average American and why we're swimming in covid.

I talked to her about my vaccine experience and told her I knew she could do it because she was awesome and I hope she loving does.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AHH F/UGH posted:

https://i.imgur.com/PekrP94.mp4

:v:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

One guy know got the vaccine, first dose, and he got infected and apparently has been fighting death for 2 months

Now people around him believe the vaccine caused that lol. Not good PR

I saw him a few days after his vaccine and he was fine, so yeah, prooobably not the vax, must’ve dropped precautions

Also I got my 2 doses and I know the same people, but nobody pays attention to me

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Nature is healing.

We are the virus.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

asdf32 posted:

You might want to read more about shutting the gently caress up

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

asdf32 posted:

My neighbor wakes up in pain every night for 30-60 minutes. She said it feels like she's on fire. Her entire nervous system is shot because of COVID. She was training for a marathon and now she can't go up the stairs without getting winded.

Thankfully, my long COVID symptoms only lasted a few months. My big ones were my feet randomly going numb and then the 102 degree fevers that popped up out of nowhere for a day or two. Id usually have a out a 5 minute warning which gave me just enough time to get to the parking lot before I'd feel so bad that I'd contemplate paying for an Uber so my roommate could come to my office and drive me home. Oh, and the loss of smell and taste isn't cute because when it came back it made everything taste and smell like an ashtray of vomit. I've been popping multivitamins and drinking meal replacement shakes because hitting 1800 calories is a struggle when all food makes you nauseous. I guess i got that summer bod the easy way!

But hey, it's just a few weeks of mild symptoms. I read it in a wall street journal article that advertises dick pills right next to the doctor's words.

Edit: both my neighbor and I got COVID in December

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

ben shapino posted:

You might want to read more about shutting the gently caress up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

asdf32 posted:

What's your end game here? I can't believe you actually believe what you're peddling, not earnestly nor honestly. School and socialization for your child are not worth the risk to the general public, let alone the risk you take gambling that your kid won't get too sick, or that lasting effects won't appear down the road from getting sick with a virus that has not interacted with humans before. Frankly as a society it is worth your kid getting stunted socially and losing out on some education to keep kids from catching and spreading a disease that's killing people. Like, we're talking a couple of years of development for a population of children versus the lives of children, adults, and elders.