Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bored As gently caress posted:

Plus, commanders of the ANA and ANP acrosd Afghanistan for years have had either non aggression pacts or local deals. We'd have COPs getting hit with rockets or mortars near ANP or ANA compounds, buy mysteriously they wouldn't get hit.

what's cops since you mention the ANP in the very same sentence so I assume they're not the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Milo and POTUS posted:

what's cops since you mention the ANP in the very same sentence so I assume they're not the same

Combat outpost

Smaller bases than FOBs. Our infantry units ran patrols out of them.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Combat Outpost

e;fb

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Gotcha

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
The way media coverage and social media posts shift during events like these really highlights how little attention the average American pays to international events and policy. People in this country feel 0 ownership for the actions taken in their names and moan when things arent subsequently done right.

People are so loving stupid and misinformed that Im not sure how much hope exists for meaningful reform within this generation. Millennials are the largest voting bloc and things appear to be moving in the wrong direction.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
So I wonder how all the prisoners in Guantanamo feel right now.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

There’s actually some material out there by former officials where they’re very sanguine about who to blame for Afghanistan. This is one of my favorites.

lmao

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

There’s actually some material out there by former officials where they’re very sanguine about who to blame for Afghanistan. This is one of my favorites.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Suicide Watch posted:

Will be interesting to see China's relations with the Taliban as they share a border. If big Red cozies up with the Taliban how will it affect their handling of Xinjiang? Seems like the next big islamist target will be China and they'll eventually poke the wasp's nest in the next 20 years

I remember reading a while back that China was already in talks with the Taliban weeks or months ago, and China more or less said "you can do whatever you want just don't mess with our shipments through your country." Wish I could find the article I read, but everything now is dominated with China having been first in line to recognize the Taliban as the government of Afghanistan so I'm coming up short.

That said, I can't help but think your right my inner cynic is expecting before long America will finally care about the Uighurs (which we should be, but not just because it's beneficial to some hosed up geopolitical chess game) and encouraging tensions in the border regions in and around western China.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

loving bravo!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Grip it and rip it posted:

The way media coverage and social media posts shift during events like these really highlights how little attention the average American pays to international events and policy. People in this country feel 0 ownership for the actions taken in their names and moan when things arent subsequently done right.

I literally believe the Americans that are angry about this and blame Biden are, in fact, angry that after 20 years of blissful ignorance they're having to hear about Afghanistan again.

Like, literally as long as the US military casualties stayed to a few dozen a year they'd happily take that bargain so they could concentrate really hard on this season's American Idol

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

quote:

A few days after the assassination of Iran’s top general Qasem Soleimani, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo accused Iran of undermining the Afghan peace process by using militant groups in the country, and cautioned the Taliban to disengage themselves from the Islamic republic. He emphasized that “the Taliban’s entanglement in Iran’s dirty work will only harm the Afghan peace process.” Pompeo, however, provided no details to support his charge.

A week later, while the U.S. Afghanistan peace envoy and the Taliban leadership were engaging in a fresh round of talks in Doha, the leader of the Hizb-i-Islami party, Gulbuddin Hekmatyar, said that Washington has asked the insurgent group to abandon its links with Iran. Although Iran and the Taliban remained in a sectarian rivalry during the 1990s, the post-9/11 scenario in the region, especially a shared animosity toward the U.S. along with many other internal and external developments indicate that it would be disadvantageous for the insurgent group to cut their ties with the Islamic republic.

The misunderstandings leading to mistrust which prompted sectarian hatred between Iran and the Taliban have been evaporating, paving the way for a stable long-term alignment glued by and centered on political Islam. During their reign in the 1990s, the Taliban received patronage from Iran’s rival, Saudi Arabia. However, it was difficult for the Kingdom to take the side of its client (the Taliban) at the expense of its patron (the U.S.) in the post-9/11 world. Saudi Arabia’s harsh measures against Qatar, where the Taliban have their political office, and Doha’s improved ties with Tehran, helped clear the clouds of mistrust and misunderstanding between Iran and the Taliban. With Iran showing strong tendencies of an Islamic theocratic state, the Afghan insurgent group would find it unfavorable to degrade its relations with Tehran, especially when the group has been struggling to establish a government based on Islamic values in Afghanistan.

February 2020

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
All this poo poo reminds me of this group meeting thing at the TBI clinic just before I got out, and there was the saltiest one legged 1LT you've ever seen get into a raging argument with a bunch of NCOs over the talk of getting out of Iraq.

LT didn't give two tenths of a single, solitary gently caress and was in a huge shouting match with them all. I don't remember much of it, but LT concluded it all by yelling at them that went something like "what, you got FAMILY in Iraq? You all got PEN PALS over there? I will shut the gently caress up and not say another loving word if any of you can tell me the country code you need to dial up anyone in this country you all give so much of a gently caress about".

Anyway, there was a lot of silence after that and he left and I never saw him again but he became my personal military hero. Group got cancelled that day.

Fin

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Ironically, Iran was cooperating with us and helping provide intel against the Taliban and AQ (and even detaining some) until douchebag in Chief said "Axis of Evil" in the SOTU speech. After that they told our intel and DOD to gently caress off.

All Bush administration officials have the blood of millions on their hands.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/DougJBalloon/status/1426649836615618565?s=20

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Between this and the Kurds, no indigenous force should ever trust us ever again, and tell us to gently caress off. How we will ever get any actually loyal local partners anywhere again?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bored As gently caress posted:

Between this and the Kurds, no indigenous force should ever trust us ever again, and tell us to gently caress off. How we will ever get any actually loyal local partners anywhere again?

People like money. They'll just backstab us even more readily and frequently than usual.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

People like money. They'll just backstab us even more readily and frequently than usual.

See: the US trained Mexican special forces soldiers becoming the Zetas.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

not caring here posted:

All this poo poo reminds me of this group meeting thing at the TBI clinic just before I got out, and there was the saltiest one legged 1LT you've ever seen get into a raging argument with a bunch of NCOs over the talk of getting out of Iraq.

LT didn't give two tenths of a single, solitary gently caress and was in a huge shouting match with them all. I don't remember much of it, but LT concluded it all by yelling at them that went something like "what, you got FAMILY in Iraq? You all got PEN PALS over there? I will shut the gently caress up and not say another loving word if any of you can tell me the country code you need to dial up anyone in this country you all give so much of a gently caress about".

Anyway, there was a lot of silence after that and he left and I never saw him again but he became my personal military hero. Group got cancelled that day.

Fin

That guy is awesome lol.

My nuclear hot :tinfoil: take is we pulled the bandage off early so China can make a deal with the Taliban to start extracting the country's rare earth metals. Gotta get those PS5's out by Christmas this year!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

:sbahj:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BetamaxPrime/status/1426907781710467089

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't get it, those are obviously just normal NYT columns

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The AFG collapse is a feature, not Bug out US policy. It's our freaking SOP at this point.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Fallom posted:

I don't get it, those are obviously just normal NYT columns

Yeah for loving real

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

bulletsponge13 posted:

The AFG collapse is a feature, not Bug out US policy. It's our freaking SOP at this point.

The us is so opposed to functioning government we spend trillions to export it abroad

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I did not realize that Afghanistan was divided into that many smaller regions. I knew it had to have some but not nearly that many

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I interrupt doomchat to bring one of the stupidest things I've read in a while, and a strong case that architects supercede engineers in min-maxing.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/life-style/homed/latest/126061548/architects-vision-for-miq-pods-on-quail-island-in-lyttelton-harbour

The whole thing is worth reading, but a couple of choice quotes:

quote:

“The pods can be prefabricated in Lyttelton – there is place here that can do this – and lifted onto the island by helicopter. They can be snaplocked onto timber foundations using the mechanism that secures containers onto a ship.”

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Stravag posted:

I did not realize that Afghanistan was divided into that many smaller regions. I knew it had to have some but not nearly that many

Out of curiosity went and looked this up - Afghanistan has slightly greater population density than Kentucky (124.5/sq mi vs 112/sq mi) but with 7 times the population (31.4 mil vs 4.4 mil).

Population wise there's more people in Afghanistan than in Texas (27.5 mil).

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Well I had a nice 8 month break from the thread but here I am quoting this

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
I’m just grateful for how this sub forum is handling all of this going on. One dude in D&D is just straight up jerking off to afghan death wishing the taliban moves in harder and faster while a few others are doing victory laps. I stopped reading when the idea of starting a betting pool on the fall of Kabul was met with overwhelming zeal.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cenen posted:

I’m just grateful for how this sub forum is handling all of this going on. One dude in D&D is just straight up jerking off to afghan death wishing the taliban moves in harder and faster while a few others are doing victory laps. I stopped reading when the idea of starting a betting pool on the fall of Kabul was met with overwhelming zeal.

Interpreting everything through the lens of scoring points against the Western empires sometimes leads to awkward results like praising the Taliban as liberators, followed by a Trumpian refusal to back down

To their credit nobody's really playing along with that poster

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

sharknado slashfic posted:

Think you're too good for us huh? Well we all jeb down here

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

sharknado slashfic posted:

Milo and POTUS posted:

I will never, ever turn down a quality Jeb! meme. It's my favorite political running joke.

And for content, the sad thing about this statement is:

https://twitter.com/davidgura/status/1427054256364920833

It's the first time American soldiers have had a serious, no-bullshit mission in Afghanistan since I can remember, maybe over a decade. Take full control over the airfield, hold it, enable as many flights out as possible, then leave. It's the first legitimate answer to "why are we here anyways?" that had an answer that made sense.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Americans can't grasp a story where there are no good guys.

I'm sorry so many of you went through what you did when this was pretty much going to be the outcome from the start. America (or big segments of it anyway) pretty much owes you an apology.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/starsandstripes/status/1427045633915899907?s=20

Big news on Gilbert's no-hitter on first career start

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

when he stepped out of the race his website was selling really nice quality clothing like patagonia fleece for 90% off retail value, but with a Jeb! monogram and I've kicked myself for not getting a fleece and softshell jacket ever since.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
20 years of bullshit just to ensure the loving Taliban becomes more entrenched than ever :smith:

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cenen posted:

Oh 100%, I popped in over there hoping for some insights and yup D&D is still D&D.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Nick Soapdish posted:

Big news on Gilbert's no-hitter on first career start

Seriously, that’s pretty amazing. I wonder if his grandma will have that cover page framed.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh 100%, I popped in over there hoping for some insights and yup D&D is still D&D.

I popped over to the Sahara for some scuba lessons, no luck there either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I've been furiously posting in the Navy thread today to keep myself from posting in the D&D thread.