Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Garth is playing in town tonight, some definite Big Garth Energy going on. Think it's time to break out the boxset and get the neighbors psyched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

petit choux posted:

Just bought a big crate of vinyl without even looking at it for $10. Made it about halfway through the crate full of gospel and country before I found a copy of Fagan's Nightfly in good shape. That makes it worth it right there.

White or Black gospel? If it is the latter hit me up.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Barry posted:

I did recently make a sweep through their entire discography so I feel like I'm coming from an informed position and I'll admit that unlistenable was a little much but I'm still not into it.

I mean you don't have to like it, but I think your characterization as "borderline unlistenable" and "boring, noodly ambient music with no cohesion or direction or rhythm" is way, way off. Did you just power your way through listening to each album once? If you like MPP, Strawberry Jam, and Centipede Hz, you should be able to get into Feels and Sprit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished. Danse Manatee is also really really good if you can get past the production. Anyway I'll leave it at that. Animal Collective rules :hehe:

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

On the Animal Collective talk if anyone is in/near Cincinnati they're playing a free show at Fountain Square in mid September I think.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
I fully admit to learning about Jim Carroll from The Suicide Squad but drat if this isn’t a great album. Went out today to see if I could get lucky and found it at the first place I went to.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
You have a nice record player

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

BigFactory posted:

You have a nice record player

I know. :kiddo:

It was my parents’. Sat in closets/basements for years until I asked them for it about a year ago.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Toe Rag posted:

I mean you don't have to like it, but I think your characterization as "borderline unlistenable" and "boring, noodly ambient music with no cohesion or direction or rhythm" is way, way off.
God, I can't wait for the jamming in-between songs at the live show. Give me all the noodling you got.

The most I'll slam Animal Collective these days is I think they owe The Residents $5 for We Tigers, that poo poo is shaaaaaaaaaaaaaameless.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

caligulamprey posted:

The most I'll slam Animal Collective these days is I think they owe The Residents $5 for We Tigers, that poo poo is shaaaaaaaaaaaaaameless.

After listening to a poo poo ton of Sparks lately I've come to the conclusion that the Pet Shop Boys owe them more than $5.

Also speaking of ambient things, does anyone like the ambient synth-y apparently qualifies as jazz band Chat Noir? I finally listened to their album Hyperuranion and can't stand it and am gonna sell it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I like the old inner sleeves with all sorts of instructions on them.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

z0331 posted:

I fully admit to learning about Jim Carroll from The Suicide Squad but drat if this isn’t a great album. Went out today to see if I could get lucky and found it at the first place I went to.

I learned about him, like nearly everyone else, from The Basketball Diaries. Great album.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Turbinosamente posted:

After listening to a poo poo ton of Sparks lately I've come to the conclusion that the Pet Shop Boys owe them more than $5.

Also speaking of ambient things, does anyone like the ambient synth-y apparently qualifies as jazz band Chat Noir? I finally listened to their album Hyperuranion and can't stand it and am gonna sell it.

There’s a specific moment in the Sparks Brothers documentary where Sparks manager runs into the Pet Shop Boys and he asks them “why don’t you ever mention Sparks” as an obvious influence on their entire career. One of the dudes from PSB turns around and tells him to gently caress off stop being a trouble maker sort of thing. Lol they definitely owe a lot to Sparks.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

dorium posted:

There’s a specific moment in the Sparks Brothers documentary where Sparks manager runs into the Pet Shop Boys and he asks them “why don’t you ever mention Sparks” as an obvious influence on their entire career. One of the dudes from PSB turns around and tells him to gently caress off stop being a trouble maker sort of thing. Lol they definitely owe a lot to Sparks.

Oh yes I remember that moment. And I've got an mp3 player set to random so there's been a more than a few times a song has started and I can't remember which band it is until the lead singer starts. Particularly for all the super 80s and early 90s made/sounding songs. And tbh, I think Sparks does it better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Iz53uzlNls

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ballz posted:

Shameless plug: if you’re a member of the Needles & Grooves vinyl collectors forum I’m currently running this month’s album of the month guess thread. Post a guess (in that thread) to be entered for a chance to win a copy of the album. Does it suck? Only one way to find out!

Updating my shameless plug to say I've announced what the AOTM is: "After a Thousand Years" by Jneiro Jarel. One of my favorite albums from last year from one of my favorite artists that nobody has ever heard of. Go check it out and drop some :10bux: :10bux: if it suits your fancy!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I like the old inner sleeves with all sorts of instructions on them.

#3 is wrong and bad for all kinds of reasons.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Is there a speaker thread anywhere?

Awhile ago I picked up a pair of Pioneer CS-G104s from Goodwill, ten bucks for the pair, and they sound fine... but I eventually want to replace then with something better. I'm in love with the aesthetic of these Pioneer CS-722As but... I don't know how to compare the two. Like, I know mine are lower wattage and only have a sun and a tweeter, so these are almost certainly better, but beyond that kind of generalizing I don't know what to look for in a speaker.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CornHolio posted:

Is there a speaker thread anywhere?

Awhile ago I picked up a pair of Pioneer CS-G104s from Goodwill, ten bucks for the pair, and they sound fine... but I eventually want to replace then with something better. I'm in love with the aesthetic of these Pioneer CS-722As but... I don't know how to compare the two. Like, I know mine are lower wattage and only have a sun and a tweeter, so these are almost certainly better, but beyond that kind of generalizing I don't know what to look for in a speaker.

Didn’t you ask this same question in a different thread a month or so ago? Those pioneer speakers will sound fine and be very loud, and might be pretty efficient for how loud they get, but they’re not fundamentally amazing speakers or anything. They’re for 70’s stoners to crank the zeppelin on.

See what’s on Craigslist/Facebook/thrift stores (you can check Goodwill online and look for local places too. Shipping speakers is expensive). If you’re patient and check often you will eventually find something interesting in your price range. Don’t pay to ship speakers unless either you’re rich or it’s a very special pair. Do you have a budget?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BigFactory posted:

Didn’t you ask this same question in a different thread a month or so ago? Those pioneer speakers will sound fine and be very loud, and might be pretty efficient for how loud they get, but they’re not fundamentally amazing speakers or anything. They’re for 70’s stoners to crank the zeppelin on.

See what’s on Craigslist/Facebook/thrift stores (you can check Goodwill online and look for local places too. Shipping speakers is expensive). If you’re patient and check often you will eventually find something interesting in your price range. Don’t pay to ship speakers unless either you’re rich or it’s a very special pair. Do you have a budget?

I...may have? I don't know. I don't have a budget and I'm not buying anything online for that very reason, I just want to know what the various terminologys mean (not just wattage but things like impedance, crossover, what brands are good, how many speakers in a cabinet are optimal, etc). If I see something at Goodwill or a pawn shop or something, I want to know if it's worth whatever they're charging.

The biggest problem I have with the speakers I have right now is that if I'm even just a little bit to the side, they sound awful. All of the sound is directed straight ahead, if that makes sense.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CornHolio posted:

I...may have? I don't know. I don't have a budget and I'm not buying anything online for that very reason, I just want to know what the various terminologys mean (not just wattage but things like impedance,

It’s how much power the speaker needs to do speaker stuff. 4 ohm speakers typically need a bigger amp than 8 ohm speakers. That doesn’t necessarily mean that one is better than the other, though, especially if you can’t drive a 4 ohm speaker.

quote:

crossover,

It’s the electronics inside a speaker that sends the high frequency signals to the tweeters and the low frequency signals to the woofers. It sets the point where one driver crosses over to another.

quote:

what brands are good,

That’s incredibly subjective, but most consumer brand Japanese electronics manufacturers made decent equipment up until about 1980. The pioneer, sansui, technics, Kenwood, Sony’s. After 1980 beware unless you know what you’re looking for. There were lots of high quality American speaker companies in the 60s and 70s AR, Advent, KLH, JBL, Klipsh, Ohm. You can get good deals on some of them (not JBL or Klipsh so much), and probably be very happy with the sound. There were plenty of high quality English speakers being made then, too. Audiokarma is a very good resource for looking up individual speakers. Chances are someone had talked about them there before.

Higher end speakers from the 90s and on are often very good but it helps to know what you’re looking at too. Beware of home theater in a box surround sound speaker sets, though. They usually suck and sometimes use proprietary interconnects that won’t play nice with your existing stereo.

quote:

how many speakers in a cabinet are optimal, etc).

There is no right answer to this one.

quote:

If I see something at Goodwill or a pawn shop or something, I want to know if it's worth whatever they're charging.
Look it up on eBay or audiokarma. eBay prices are insane, so if something is going cheap there it’s junk. If people are raving about it on audiokarma and it’s in your price range, consider trying it. Or ask here. If it’s in a pawn shop maybe the dude will let you listen to them.

quote:

The biggest problem I have with the speakers I have right now is that if I'm even just a little bit to the side, they sound awful. All of the sound is directed straight ahead, if that makes sense.

You’re going to find that with most speakers, and part of the problem might be your room, not your speakers.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 16, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
A lot of old speakers weren't magnetically shielded so keep that in mind.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Was passing through Portsmouth, NH today and randomly popped in a used record store while my family was getting ice cream, and it was this great place with bins full of old jazz and blues records, a huge selection of 80s and 90s hip-hop 12"'s, and a very nice older gentleman running the place. He gave me a good price on a mint copy of Crowded House's debut album (he said a doctor had owned it and it looked like it has never been played). As we were talking, a friendly black lab walked through the store to hang out for a bit.

And now I'm looking for the store on Google maps so I remember to go next time I'm passing through,
and I don't see it, and a buddy who lives in Portsmouth says he's never heard of it, and only knows another record shop in town. So now I'm wondering if it was all a fever dream.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
You walked into some awesome old guy’s house and he made a couple bucks off you. Sounds like a great day for all involved

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Ghost record store spoooOOOoooOOooooky

I spent $72 at Jigsaw records and got mondo bang for my buck. Some 7 inchers, an LP, a 10", a tape, CD, a flexi, even a zine. I wanted a bunch of fun. My order arrived this past week and it was packaged so nice I needed to photograph it before scattering its component parts to the recesses of my collection. I threw everything at them and it was a masterpiece of economic packing

I didn't order that Bears CD, that's a total bonus! As was that poster on top but it was kinda boring so I didn't photograph it. There was more BONUS FREE STUFF WOW that I'll get to in a bit.

That zine is a bunch of different people (writers, musicians, DJs etc, many typical goon age, 12-16 in the early 90s) reminiscing about TAPES and what TAPES meant to them. I'm really digging it so far.

Stickers! Just a pile of stickers. That one that looks blank is a transparent Bears window cling.

Very small buttons!

A random-rear end photo print because sure why not!

Got yr Math and Physics Club LP.

Wait what's this I didn't order this. Great cover art. Another free record??

Nooo! It is an empty jacket, used as a protective caddy for the 10" I bought! gently caress!! Oh well it will look good on the wall, if I ever become motivated to start framing record jackets and hanging them up. Or maybe I'll luck into a real good cheap copy of that record someday with a beat-up jacket and then I'll have it made!

The cover art caught my eye, but previewing the album made the sale. the album is fun and great and Jigsaw still has at least one copy left. You should buy it if you like fun. Also if you enjoy good times. you should buy a bunch of other stuff from Jigsaw too because their site is easy to use and you can preview a lot of records which is cool.

It's orange! WOW

Bonus self-portrait of my head in the sunglasses.

Anyway that was my haul and 14 MB of photos. I'm going to bed now

pwn fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Aug 16, 2021

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

pwn posted:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

pwn posted:

Ghost record store spoooOOOoooOOooooky

I spent $72 at Jigsaw records and got mondo bang for my buck. Some 7 inchers, an LP, a 10", a tape, CD, a flexi, even a zine. I wanted a bunch of fun. My order arrived this past week and it was packaged so nice I needed to photograph it before scattering its component parts to the recesses of my collection. I threw everything at them and it was a masterpiece of economic packing

I didn't order that Bears CD, that's a total bonus! As was that poster on top but it was kinda boring so I didn't photograph it. There was more BONUS FREE STUFF WOW that I'll get to in a bit.

That zine is a bunch of different people (writers, musicians, DJs etc, many typical goon age, 12-16 in the early 90s) reminiscing about TAPES and what TAPES meant to them. I'm really digging it so far.

Stickers! Just a pile of stickers. That one that looks blank is a transparent Bears window cling.

Very small buttons!

A random-rear end photo print because sure why not!

Got yr Math and Physics Club LP.

Wait what's this I didn't order this. Great cover art. Another free record??

Nooo! It is an empty jacket, used as a protective caddy for the 10" I bought! gently caress!! Oh well it will look good on the wall, if I ever become motivated to start framing record jackets and hanging them up. Or maybe I'll luck into a real good cheap copy of that record someday with a beat-up jacket and then I'll have it made!

The cover art caught my eye, but previewing the album made the sale. the album is fun and great and Jigsaw still has at least one copy left. You should buy it if you like fun. Also if you enjoy good times. you should buy a bunch of other stuff from Jigsaw too because their site is easy to use and you can preview a lot of records which is cool.

It's orange! WOW

Anyway that was my haul and 14 MB of photos. I'm going to bed now

You scored bigtime.

z0331 posted:

Apparently a lot of people are aware of his poetry/writing and not his music, so people learn of him a variety of ways. Me, it was this album back in the 80s, which I have.

SwimNurd posted:

Oh, very Caucasian. I'm about to go look at the crate again. There was some other notable stuff in there, I was near heat exhaustion at the time though, so I didn't pursue it at the time.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Aug 16, 2021

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
That great post makes me want to go spend $72 at Jigsaw records now hahaha

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

petit choux posted:

Oh, very Caucasian. I'm about to go look at the crate again. There was some other notable stuff in there, I was near heat exhaustion at the time though, so I didn't pursue it at the time.

I love both black and white gospel, so good find regardless! Let me know if you want 'em off your hands.

SwimNurd posted:

I posted this earlier in the thread, but check these out! Mine should be arriving today.

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/7826-the-last-shall-be-first-the-jcr-records-story-vol-1
https://lightintheattic.net/releases/7827-the-last-shall-be-first-the-jcr-records-story-vol-2

Today's mail day is gonna be great; I'm expecting Mint Jams, the two aforementioned gospel records, and the Kentucky Route Zero OST. Definitely spinning Mint Jams first!

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Read After Burning posted:

I love both black and white gospel, so good find regardless! Let me know if you want 'em off your hands.

I posted this earlier in the thread, but check these out! Mine should be arriving today.

https://lightintheattic.net/releases/7826-the-last-shall-be-first-the-jcr-records-story-vol-1
https://lightintheattic.net/releases/7827-the-last-shall-be-first-the-jcr-records-story-vol-2

Today's mail day is gonna be great; I'm expecting Mint Jams, the two aforementioned gospel records, and the Kentucky Route Zero OST. Definitely spinning Mint Jams first!
Nice! I love D-Vine Spirituals, I have tons of the 45s. Pastor Juan Shipp is sooo nice. If you like gospel you should check out my neglected mixcloud:

https://www.mixcloud.com/scottjab/

I post clips and poo poo here too:
https://www.instagram.com/scottjjab/

EDIT: Some :words: about D-vine Spirituals

SwimNurd fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 16, 2021

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

:popeye:

Conrad_Birdie posted:

That great post makes me want to go spend $72 at Jigsaw records now hahaha

My work here is done

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Oh, I will definitely check this out! Thank you.

Y'all like soul/funk/R&B, etc? Here's a re-print of a great 1982 album! (You'll definitely know the song Forget-Me-Nots)

https://patricerushen.bandcamp.com/album/straight-from-the-heart-remastered

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Bit strange to steal typography from a Swedish softdrink but it IS pretty good typography.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Toe Rag posted:

How does this compare to MDK, and what are your thoughts on Yoshida Tatsuya?

Well it's a 3 LP live set, of which the 2nd is a full performance of MDK. The sound quality is a lot better than the studio version. I think it uses a lot of overdubs though. Some major differences too; more synths and a long bass solo to kick off Side 2.

as far as Yoshida goes - he's a god among men. his stuff gives me a headache sometimes and I'm pretty sure I've only listened to like half of his 80+ albums but I'd say I'm a pretty big fan

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Samsquamsch posted:

Nice!! Mind posting a link? I know they're already going to make me cringe at the price, but that album art has always spoken to me. Takes me back to days playing GT5.

It was from discogs, but this was the seller: https://www.discogs.com/user/STR-INTL

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Nick Lutsko is hilarious and I put up money for the campaign for this back in February. I'm honestly surprised it shipped this quick what with the state of the pressing industry rn. Glad I was able to support the guy and also get this p neat looking disc

Boat Parade is the perfect track for our anxious times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5YPCvowwJc

Samsquamsch
Jun 6, 2011

Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdown, Mexican touchdooooown!
Thanks for the links to Casiopea sources, guys. I'll keep an eye out.

Our covid cases are once again off the charts, we are literally doing the worst in the country in terms of community spread. There was a packed stadium event right before we achieved this prestigious position...a Garth Brooks concert.

Samsquamsch fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Aug 18, 2021

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Read After Burning posted:

Oh, I will definitely check this out! Thank you.

Y'all like soul/funk/R&B, etc? Here's a re-print of a great 1982 album! (You'll definitely know the song Forget-Me-Nots)

https://patricerushen.bandcamp.com/album/straight-from-the-heart-remastered

I was whistling the song to myself when my wife pointed it out the men in black song is a parody

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Samsquamsch posted:

Our covid cases are once again off the charts, we are literally doing the worst in the country in terms of community spread. There was a packed stadium event right before we achieved this prestigious position...a Garth Brooks concert.
Ropin the COVID.

I find myself continuing to buy random classical records and listening to them with my eyes closed like a 90s movie villain. It's not even that I like them that much, there's just a lot of different sound to listen to at once and it provides a few moments of zen concentration. A few dust pops adds to the experience.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

stealie72 posted:

Ropin the COVID.

there's just a lot of different sound to listen to at once and it provides a few moments of zen concentration

Hey, you're enjoying classical music.

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

Nick Lutsko is hilarious and I put up money for the campaign for this back in February. I'm honestly surprised it shipped this quick what with the state of the pressing industry rn. Glad I was able to support the guy and also get this p neat looking disc

I like Nick. He should form a band of sweaty, stressed-out musicians.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

Lol that is incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

He should've included a mask so you could be like Dan Bongino.