Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I know how impractical it would be, but man I kinda wish there was a musical cue whenever you use Samurai’s finisher. Like so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAVIZrs4HTc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
CUL is the least dependent on crafted materials from other disciplines, so if you're just looking to poke at one without worrying about sourcing/making materials or hitting the market, it's a good starter. You'll want Botany to go with it though.

That said, you can take all crafts to 15 easily with dirt cheap materials sold by the guild vendors; if you look at material vendors in housing areas/estates then you can push that up to 25 or so. So don't feel like you need to go on some big gathering odyssey to just test the waters.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another good route to leveling crafters, if you don't insist on grinding something out ASAP, is the beast tribes. I routinely make 5-6 levels a day from the Ixal, and they provide all the mats so you don't need to worry about that. The Moogles are slower going, but you have a shorter road to go in the 50s. They downright make you money, not cost it.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Ouroboros posted:

Isnt she one of those creepy haunted doll baby race people? If so she can go to hell, along with the rest of that demonspawn

/blist add Ouroboros

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ouroboros posted:

Isnt she one of those creepy haunted doll baby race people? If so she can go to hell, along with the rest of that demonspawn

That was the Tarutaru. They're in a different game, and can't hurt you.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The sylphs are far creepier than the Lalas. :colbert:

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Everyone says CUL but a lot of those recipes require 5 items and mob drops.

I personally recommend ALC if you're just going to level one DoH (highly recommend all though).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

derra posted:

I personally recommend ALC if you're just going to level one DoH (highly recommend all though).

Usually one of those items is low-level CUL-crafted, though.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011
I admit I find the whole dead eyed anime doll character aesthetic in this game pretty offputting, but I can deal with that; I knew it was going to be An Anime and that aspect of the game was Not For Me.

But honestly gently caress the Lalafels. There is something seriously upsetting about them, they make me feel vaguely ill

RME
Feb 20, 2012

lol

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i promise you can like the game without liking tataru lol

and yeah they fix most of my aesthetic issues with the game as the msq progresses but the lalafell never stop waddling around

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Ouroboros posted:

I admit I find the whole dead eyed anime doll character aesthetic in this game pretty offputting, but I can deal with that; I knew it was going to be An Anime and that aspect of the game was Not For Me.

But honestly gently caress the Lalafels. There is something seriously upsetting about them, they make me feel vaguely ill

uh mods???

Super No Vacancy posted:

i promise you can like the game without liking tartaru lol

this thread is falling apart! *hammers report button*

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

derra posted:

Not if you're cooking up airship components for the Ixal. :v:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm not a fan of lalafel design though they don't make me physically ill lol

RME
Feb 20, 2012

The secret with crafters is, and I say this with the statement that shadowbringers is functionally concluded, they’re easier to level than combat classes are and have been for at least multiple expacs at this point. And they’re definitely tuned that way because they’re far more cross reliant on each other even with the removal of cross class skills

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

They all have the exact same skills, they're functionally ond job that you need to switch around tools for to access different recipes, with individual levels/books/stats etc. again just limiting your recipes.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Lalafell are good.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Not if you're cooking up airship components for the Ixal. :v:

Doesn't really matter what you're leveling if you go that route though.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I'm not the biggest fan of Lalafell's designs but they have very good emotes.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I don't generally like small races in MMOs but they use the lalafell designs well especially in terms of playing against the standard "oh they're small and harmless looking" trope.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Tortolia posted:

I don't generally like small races in MMOs but they use the lalafell designs well especially in terms of playing against the standard "oh they're small and harmless looking" trope.

*nods, punches fist*

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Okay, I think I'm gonna be in FFXIV for a while. Story picked up, dungeons got to where I need to actually heal more than once per fight, got a few more abilities. Had my first "oh holy poo poo" moment in a raid Shiva. Having watched a few fights on Youtube, I always thought the "rock" guitar coming in was kinda lame, but in the context of being IN IT, it ruled! I don't think that WHM is going to be for me though. The healing style doesn't really jive with me, and I want to be able to watch the amazing set piece bosses, not bars. Been planning on switching to Machinist ASAP since like level 35.

Again, I am really digging it, but DEAR GOD SQUARE PLEASE JUST LET ME GET TO HEAVENSAWRD AND PLAY THE CLASS I WANT. I'm level 55, and have been puposefully not doing my roulettes just so I don't get so obscenely ahead. I'd be 60+ and still in the ARR-->HW transition if I had been doing roulettes.

It feels like I have been in the transition for longer than I was in vanilla ARR. Please tell me that I am almost to HW... I have finished the crystal tower completely, and am on like the fourth step of the alliance celebration banquet after saving Ishgard.

I really am annoyed by all Lalas except Tataru. Tatarules.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Doom Rooster posted:

Okay, I think I'm gonna be in FFXIV for a while. Story picked up, dungeons got to where I need to actually heal more than once per fight, got a few more abilities. Had my first "oh holy poo poo" moment in a raid Shiva. Having watched a few fights on Youtube, I always thought the "rock" guitar coming in was kinda lame, but in the context of being IN IT, it ruled! I don't think that WHM is going to be for me though. The healing style doesn't really jive with me, and I want to be able to watch the amazing set piece bosses, not bars. Been planning on switching to Machinist ASAP since like level 35.

Again, I am really digging it, but DEAR GOD SQUARE PLEASE JUST LET ME GET TO HEAVENSAWRD AND PLAY THE CLASS I WANT. I'm level 55, and have been puposefully not doing my roulettes just so I don't get so obscenely ahead. I'd be 60+ and still in the ARR-->HW transition if I had been doing roulettes.

It feels like I have been in the transition for longer than I was in vanilla ARR. Please tell me that I am almost to HW... I have finished the crystal tower completely, and am on like the fourth step of the alliance celebration banquet after saving Ishgard.

Yeah that stretch is tough if you’re eager for a HW class, just had the same experience. There’s an awesome cutscene and frankly amazing story stuff very soon and then you’re there!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

You're almost there.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Doom Rooster posted:

You are very close. Definitely over the hump, it's only gonna get better from there through HW (I don't like Stormblood as much, but some people do).

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Tortolia posted:

Yeah, I came around on Lalafell because of the writing. The models and emotes are kind of ridiculous, but the fact that the game consistently writes them as normal, competent adults who can play serious story roles, and not as the goofy pseudo-children that small fantasy races tend to turn into, helps a lot.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Doom Rooster posted:

I don't think that WHM is going to be for me though. The healing style doesn't really jive with me, and I want to be able to watch the amazing set piece bosses, not bars. Been planning on switching to Machinist ASAP since like level 35.

I’m finding myself looking at bosses more as a healer now, personally. There’s no DPS rotation to take your focus away, and watching the mechanics play out is the best way to see where damage is going to be coming in.

WHM below 60, or at least 56, is one of the most dire stretches for lack of anything interesting to do. Give AST a shot when you get there, the extra activity of cards and utility of Essential Dignity make it more fun to play right off the bat. Though MCH is absolutely a great choice as well.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Nibble posted:

I’m finding myself looking at bosses more as a healer now, personally. There’s no DPS rotation to take your focus away, and watching the mechanics play out is the best way to see where damage is going to be coming in.

WHM below 60, or at least 56, is one of the most dire stretches for lack of anything interesting to do. Give AST a shot when you get there, the extra activity of cards and utility of Essential Dignity make it more fun to play right off the bat. Though MCH is absolutely a great choice as well.

Yeah as a WHM, I can often learn fights/raids on the fly because as long as the tank has Regen on, I only have to glance at their bar once every 5 seconds to make sure they're fine and otherwise I'm lobbing stones and dodging orange. I have plenty of time to look at all the dope stuff around.

WHM is pretty brain dead easy, but once you're higher level, going back to sub-50 WHM hurts. We did a Brayflox earlier and I didn't even have Regen, so I had to actually cast heals. Ugh.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I finally got the hang of Samurai (so far), and it suuucks when I downshift levels for FATEs.

Zet
Aug 3, 2010
As a tank in the 24-mans, is there an etiquette or some general guide on who takes main tank during the big boss fights? I did Crystal Tower this weekend and it seems like it's just whoever goes first and/or holds aggro.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

So I just got to that part of ARR in Ul’dah.

:stare:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zet posted:

As a tank in the 24-mans, is there an etiquette or some general guide on who takes main tank during the big boss fights? I did Crystal Tower this weekend and it seems like it's just whoever goes first and/or holds aggro.

if you can hold aggro it's yours

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I would specifically hold fight or flight during trash to make sure I had it up to cover my opener to hold aggro when I was grinding CT for the relic. Pretty much the only fun thing about syrcus tower the 50th time you do it is tank enmity dickwaving contests

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

If you feel like tanking, do it. Most of the time it's a race to the bottom anyway in alliance raids as far as tanking.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

In JP datacenters usually the tank for group B gets to MT.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I had a crystal tower where we wiped like 3 times against Angra Mainyu because all the tanks were fighting for aggro and making him spin round like crazy and 360 no scope random non-tanks who suddenly found themselves in the line of fire

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Qwertycoatl posted:

I had a crystal tower where we wiped like 3 times against Angra Mainyu because all the tanks were fighting for aggro and making him spin round like crazy and 360 no scope random non-tanks who suddenly found themselves in the line of fire

See this shouldn't happen even if the tanks are fighting for aggro. That's just bad positioning on their part.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Oh yeah if they'd been stacked on top of each other then it wouldn't have mattered

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I usually just ask if someone's planning on mting because I hate tank aggro fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Nibble posted:

That’s a fair point on the attention piece. I’m probably watching bars more than is necessary.

What’s the DPS of AST like? WHM just doing stone stone stone stone stone aero stone stone stone stone stone is super boring as my DPS fill.

I’ll give it a try, but FF healing may not be for me for the same reason it IS for so many others. I actually like the frantic whack-a-mole healing of WoW.

ALSO plot spoiler for close to end of ARR: Moenbryda was the absolute best, and I wish stupid Alphinaud or Papalymo had died instead. They did a really good job with that plot beat, but I’m still mad.