Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Well its happened a lot fewer times in history than countries fleeing from Afghanistan, he's only the 4th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Bored As gently caress posted:

Plus, commanders of the ANA and ANP acrosd Afghanistan for years have had either non aggression pacts or local deals. We'd have COPs getting hit with rockets or mortars near ANP or ANA compounds, buy mysteriously they wouldn't get hit.

And the opposite. The Taliban really took to tearing Afghan forces and COPs the gently caress up over the last few years while not doing very much at all directly to US forces.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

mlmp08 posted:

And the opposite. The Taliban really took to tearing Afghan forces and COPs the gently caress up over the last few years while not doing very much at all directly to US forces.

My big question - do they get froggy enough to attack the airport? It looks like the chopper airlifts got done in time for the embassy staff:

https://twitter.com/lrozen/status/1427086100439392261?s=19

Of course, the airport's civilian side is a clusterfuck and it's an open question about all the allies/citizens stranded in the city and elsewhere.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

facialimpediment posted:

My big question - do they get froggy enough to attack the airport? It looks like the chopper airlifts got done in time for the embassy staff:

Ever since the US busted the May deadline they’ve started doing the odd rocket here and there, mostly as a “gently caress you” for busting the deadline. I doubt they would go full tilt on trying to blow up evacuating aircraft, but it could happen.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

I keep wondering that too. They've got momentum and if the full relief force isnt there yet seems like the best time to try an assault or at least make life hard for everyone trying to get out.
More than likely they'll just fling mortars at them at least right?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The Taliban will allow most Western and Allies leave. It adds to their legitimacy as a government, and will allow for a more peaceful transition back to power.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bulletsponge13 posted:

The Taliban will allow most Western and Allies leave. It adds to their legitimacy as a government, and will allow for a more peaceful transition back to power.

Yeah but what if some lower-level commander doesn’t see it that way and takes his own initiative?

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

And do they truly give a poo poo about legitimacy tho?
I always assume they're full of poo poo.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Yeah but what if some lower-level commander doesn’t see it that way and takes his own initiative?

The commanders they have now are the ones who survived 20 years of drone strikes, night raids, and sweeping operations. Impulsiveness is probably not a common trait.

Besides, why risk one last hellfire when the finish line is Right There

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MRC48B posted:

The commanders they have now are the ones who survived 20 years of drone strikes, night raids, and sweeping operations. Impulsiveness is probably not a common trait.

Besides, why risk one last hellfire when the finish line is Right There

People said the same thing about taking Kabul. Why wouldn’t they wait till the end of the month?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Platystemon posted:

If the Taliban don't want people taking the initiative on this they've probably issued an order to the effect of "anyone caught doing this is getting tortured to death". I suspect that Afghanistan is already gonna be a pariah-state or what ever its called, but the people in charge aren't gonna be actively targeted for drone strikes so long as they keep all the bullshit local to Afghanistan.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

WWAHD
What would Abu Hajar do?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/whatismoo/status/1426939056970244103

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Think you're too good for us huh? Well we all jeb down here

Haha nah, it was just extremely important for my brain that I did my best to avoid current events for a while...but the memes bring me back :v:

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Platystemon posted:

People said the same thing about taking Kabul. Why wouldn’t they wait till the end of the month?

I don't think they want to piss of the US right as we are leaving. They have the stage set to become the internationally recognized "legitimate government" of Afghanistan. You gently caress with the departing US / NATO military and you are going to continue to be harassed by a couple world class militaries, potentially up to and including the destruction of all of your extant infrastructure.

Given how this process has been unfolding and their statements w/r/t chinese development, I think the Taliban is probably pretty happy with where they are at.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, you're absolutely right.

All in all what a loving waste.

We've just given the Taliban billions in supplies, small arms, armored vehicles, ammo, spare parts, and explosives.

What are the chances that the Taliban keeps its word and they don't allow Afghanistan to become a haven for terrorists? They have to know that as soon as they do that, we're bombing the gently caress out of the terrorists and them, too.

One other thing that I think is getting overlooked - if we had kept a small presence in the country, maybe up to 5k troops, it would have allowed us to keep a presence of intelligence officers there. Now our HUMINT capabilities are nil - no bases to stage from, no embassy for official cover identities. How the gently caress are we going to have any assets there? We sure as gently caress can't trust the Pakistanis and the ISI. They're half the reason we had a hard time in Afghanistan. Our only real ways to get assets in is through the various 'stans in the north. Our HUMINT capabilities just went from "okay" to "virtually nonexistent" because Biden wanted to pull out completely.

Now thousands of activists, journalists, former ANA and ANP, women, and children are going to be persecuted at best or executed at worst.

Even if he wanted to leave completely, the way he did it was so loving stupid. He should have had every person who helped us who wanted out already at a third country before any US troops left. Now those poor people are scrambling for the last plane out of Kabul.

If the Taliban are smart, and they definitely are in many ways, they will keep the executions to a minimum. I worry that they won't.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 16, 2021

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Sentinel posted:

I keep wondering that too. They've got momentum and if the full relief force isnt there yet seems like the best time to try an assault or at least make life hard for everyone trying to get out.
More than likely they'll just fling mortars at them at least right?

The videos showing a few thousand people on the ramp at the airport really have me concerned.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Godholio posted:

The videos showing a few thousand people on the ramp at the airport really have me concerned.

:same:

I've been keeping myself busy all weekend and just avoiding a lot of the news surrounding it (well until tonight at least) but :smith:

Not much else I can add or say that hasn't already been expressed in here.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Too bad Americans are exempt from ICC.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

bulletsponge13 posted:

Too bad Americans are exempt from ICC.

not forever.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What are the chances that the Taliban keeps its word and they don't allow Afghanistan to become a haven for terrorists? They have to know that as soon as they do that, we're bombing the gently caress out of the terrorists and them, too.

It probably depends mainly on whatever they’ve worked out with China.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

every war has a losing side. I'm not sure why it needs to be viewed through a lense that if we don't win then everything was for nothing.

Germany lost ww1 but they didn't give up and cry. No they got back on their feet and started ww2 and by god if they can then so can we.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Godholio posted:

Looks like they're trying
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/42005/800-people-evacuated-from-kabul-aboard-a-single-c-17-cargo-jet-reports

https://twitter.com/vcdgf555/status/1427038833195950080

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Right next to a tanker… how long are they going to have to be packed in like sardines in there?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Yeah, you're absolutely right.

All in all what a loving waste.

We've just given the Taliban billions in supplies, small arms, armored vehicles, ammo, spare parts, and explosives.

One other thing that I think is getting overlooked - if we had kept a small presence in the country, maybe up to 5k troops, it would have allowed us to keep a presence of intelligence officers there. Now our HUMINT capabilities are nil - no bases to stage from, no embassy for official cover identities. How the gently caress are we going to have any assets there? We sure as gently caress can't trust the Pakistanis and the ISI. They're half the reason we had a hard time in Afghanistan. Our only real ways to get assets in is through the various 'stans in the north. Our HUMINT capabilities just went from "okay" to "virtually nonexistent" because Biden wanted to pull out completely.

Now thousands of activists, journalists, former ANA and ANP, women, and children are going to be persecuted at best or executed at worst.

Even if he wanted to leave completely, the way he did it was so loving stupid. He should have had every person who helped us who wanted out already at a third country before any US troops left. Now those poor people are scrambling for the last plane out of Kabul.

If the Taliban are smart, and they definitely are in many ways, they will keep the executions to a minimum. I worry that they won't.

hosed up that biden finally got us out of afghanistan. we should go back because you want us to.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

I think we all know what we're in for in the next coming days and weeks. And i really wish i could be optimistic about it but mercy doesn't seem like their style.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Sentinel posted:

I think we all know what we're in for in the next coming days and weeks. And i really wish i could be optimistic about it but mercy doesn't seem like their style.

Taliban isn't ISIS, maybe i'm sounding optimistic but you don't think 10 years of smartphones and access to tiktok/bollywood/k-dramas hasn't made an impact on your average talib?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Right next to a tanker… how long are they going to have to be packed in like sardines in there?

An a380 is 60 feet longer and has a max passenger configuration of 853 passengers. An A380 also had two decks. I don't know how squeezed a max config a380 is...but jesus christ

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Sentinel posted:

What is it that you expect?

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Maybe. I really hope you're right.
I just expect them to want to settle up on any grudges and dish out misery to anyone who might've even looked like they helped us.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
https://mobile.twitter.com/ahmermkhan/status/1427122053212098560

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Just reminding myself of some names when I went looking to see how the GWOT could conclude (it can't)

“After 13 years, on 28 December 2014, President Barack Obama announced the end of Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan. Continued operations in Afghanistan by the United States' military forces, both non-combat and combat, now occur under the name Operation Freedom's Sentinel.

Operation Freedom Sentinel is expected to end on August 31, 2021, just short of the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, and the official end of the US War in Afghanistan and its NATO allies, officially ending the United States of America's longest war.”

Resolute Support Mission or Operation Resolute Support was a NATO-led train, advise and assist mission consisting of about 7,772 coalition forces in Afghanistan, which began on January 1, 2015 [coincident with OFS]. It was a follow-on mission to the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) which was completed on December 28, 2014.

On April 14, 2021, NATO announced that RSM would implement a drawdown of troops operating under the mission by May 1, and Resolute Support was disbanded on July 12, 2021.”

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

:smith:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
What worries me in the next few years is that the Taliban could link up with the extremists and jihadist movements in Pakistan and try a fundamentalist coup.

They've certainly got the weapons to make a decent try of it now. =/

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
That's a really scary thought.

From what little I've read, though, there's a big difference between the Pakistani Taliban and the Afghan Taliban.

From a quick Wiki search:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tehrik-i-Taliban_Pakistan

quote:

In a May 2010 interview, U.S. Gen. David Petraeus described the TTP's relationship with other militant groups as difficult to decipher: "There is clearly a symbiotic relationship between all of these different organizations: al-Qaeda, the Pakistani Taliban, the Afghan Taliban, TNSM [Tehreek-e-Nafaz-e-Shariat-e-Mohammadi]. And it's very difficult to parse and to try to distinguish between them. They support each other, they coordinate with each other, sometimes they compete with each other, [and] sometimes they even fight each other. But at the end of the day, there is quite a relationship between them."[37]

And

quote:

The Afghan Taliban and the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan differ greatly in their history, leadership and goals although they are both predominantly Pashtun.[70][71] The two groups are distinct, though linked, movements.[48][60] The two groups also don't get along with each other.[97] An Afghan Taliban spokesman told The New York Times: "We don't like to be involved with them, as we have rejected all affiliation with Pakistani Taliban fighters ... We have sympathy for them as Muslims, but beside that, there is nothing else between us."[33][98] Peshawar-based security analyst Brigadier (retd) Muhamaad Saad believes the Taliban are not a monolithic entity. "They can be divided into three broad categories: [Afghan] Kandahari Taliban, led by Mullah Omar; [Afghan] Paktia Taliban, led by Jalaluddin Haqqani and his son Sirajuddin Haqqani; and [Pakistani] Salfi Taliban [TTP]," he said. "It's the Salfi Taliban who pose a real threat to Pakistan. They may not be obeying the Taliban supreme leader Mullah Omar."[99]

Some regional experts state that the common name "Taliban" may be more misleading than illuminating. Gilles Dorronsoro of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace believes that "[t]he fact that they have the same name causes all kinds of confusion."[70] As the Pakistani Army began offensives against the Pakistani Taliban, many unfamiliar with the region mistakenly thought that the assault was against the Afghan Taliban of Mullah Omar.[70]

The TTP has almost exclusively targeted elements of the Pakistani state.[37] The Afghan Taliban however have historically relied on support from the Pakistani army in their campaign to control Afghanistan.[42][100] Regular Pakistani army troops fought alongside the Afghan Taliban in the War in Afghanistan (1996–2001).[101] Major leaders of the Afghan Taliban including Mullah Omar, Jalaluddin Haqqani and Siraj Haqqani are believed to enjoy safe haven in Pakistan.[102] In 2006, Jalaluddin Haqqani was called a 'Pakistani asset' by a senior official of Pakistan's Inter-Services Intelligence.[102] Pakistan regards the Haqqanis as an important force for protecting its interests in Afghanistan and therefore has been unwilling to move against them.[102]
In 2007, Pakistani militants loyal to Baitullah Mehsud created the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan and killed around 200 rival Pakistani leaders. They officially defined goals to establish their rule over Pakistan's Federally Administered Tribal Areas subsequently engaging the Pakistani army in heavy combat operations. Intelligence analysts believe that these TTP's attacks on the Pakistani government, police and army strained relations between the Pakistani Taliban and the Afghan Taliban.[70] Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar asked the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan in late 2008 and early 2009 to stop attacks inside Pakistan.
In February 2009, the three dominant Pakistani Taliban leaders agreed to put aside their differences to help counter a planned increase in American troops in Afghanistan and reaffirmed their allegiance to Mullah Omar (and to Osama bin Laden).[33] The agreement among the TTP leaders was short-lived, however, and instead of fighting alongside the Afghan Taliban the rival Pakistani factions soon engaged in combat with each other.[42][46]

Many Afghan Taliban officials (including Mullah Omar) resent TTP violent campaign against Pakistan. Afghan Talibans and TTP have also conducted attacks against each other. On 10 October 2013, heavily armed Afghan Talibans attacked TTP base in Kunar province of Afghanistan. The attacked resulted in death of three TTP commanders.

However, TTP denied any losses.[103] Again on 25 June 2016, Afghan Talibans and TTP clashed with each other in the Kunar province of Afghanistan. Afghan defense ministry claims that eight TTP militants and six Afghan Talibans were killed in the clash.[104] Moreover, Some Sources also claim that TTP was behind the death of Nasiruddin Haqqani because TTP believed that Haqqani Network was behind the death of Hakimullah Mehsud as they disclosed whereabouts of Hakimullah Mehsud to US military in Afghanistan.[105][97]

Recently following the TTP's Peshawar school massacre, the leaders of the Afghan Taliban condemned the TTP's actions on the school, saying it was "Un-Islamic".[106]

Given the animosity between the groups, I think it's unlikely that the Afghan Taliban will help the Pakistan Taliban overthrow the government.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jenanmoussa/status/1427206269450981378?s=20

https://twitter.com/SowaibahH/status/1427165408931446787?s=20

There's also a video of people clinging to the wheels of a C-17 and then falling to their deaths after liftoff. Chaos on the flightline.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Nooo. No loving way. Same airframe?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.stripes.com/theaters/mi...e-deal-1.661464
The above is a link from FEB 2021 noting that it had been one year since the last US combat death in Afghanistan.

The Taliban negotiated a withdrawal deal with the US back in 2019 and early 2020 (remember them being invited to Camp David?), and basically spent 18 months getting ready for the US leaving. They tolerated US air strikes and operations killing Taliban members, as long as it was largely at the tactical level.

So they've had a while to know that as long as they didn't go after US troops beyond some harassment and upped the ante in May when the US blew the agreed deadline, they could spend a lot of time picking apart Afghan forces and preparing the info and groun campaign to move in. It was faster than most anyone suspected, but that the cities fell is not a surprise, only that they fell so rapidly and bloodlessly, compared to a major city siege and urban warfare.*

*I say comparatively bloodlessly in the sense of the last week or so. In the leadup, the Afghan forces have taken just tremendous casualties, so I don't want to minimize the tens of thousands who died fighting against the Taliban.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/owenbroadcast/status/1427044154622816258?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
The Swedes apparently abandoned their entire Afghani staff in Kabul while they got their own embassy people out of the country.