Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

The only "setpiece" was when an Ogre just instaspawned(!?) at the start of the level causing us to almost wipe immediately, and then again at 3/4 of the level.

You can just run past it both times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

PhantomZero posted:

You can just run past it both times.

this is somehow even sadder

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

skaianDestiny posted:

How's this game?

Most of the critical people tried it and already left this thread. Those remaining are really really thirsty for something in this genre. They are getting blood from a stone but hey they're having fun so whatever.

For me and many other people earlier in the thread who already bounced off it, it's a l4d clone that does everything worse than l4d while adding a ton of half baked unneeded and likely to be horrendously monetized mechanics.

Play aliens fire team elite, world war z aftermath or just l4d instead of this mess.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

are they going to have an option to remove the blood covering on survivors? it looks extremely bad to the point where every other player looks like an identical blob by the end of a section, and it's actually harmful for gameplay because it means their clothes don't stand out from the zombies.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Honestly, what does the weapon rarity add? I don't really get it.

Is it just to force you to scrounge for the same guns the entire campaign?

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Honestly, what does the weapon rarity add? I don't really get it.

Is it just to force you to scrounge for the same guns the entire campaign?

More weapon damage is the main thing. Higher rarity weapons are also supposed to have better stats, but I'm not entirely sure what stats there are. I'm guessing reload speed, accuracy and that sort of things.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Oh, I'm aware that "better color means shoot better", I was more thinking from a design perspective.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

I assume it's supposed to make you squeal in excitement over the wonderful new loot you just found.

But I just spent copper buying a laser pointer and a bigger clip for my shotgun, so meh, I'm keeping my old gun.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
We did the church tonight on vet with 3. The key is indeed to rush initial boards on as many windows as possible during the first pipe. If you can seal all the windows before specials get in then you can outpace the damage that the zombies do to the boards.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've played around 15 hours across the 2 betas and have really come around on the game. Have yet to try Nightmare because Veteran is plenty challenging, especially as you get deeper into a run.

I like the card system, although it only really comes into its own once you have unlocked enough cards to start playing around with different builds, which does take a while.

I still think you should be able to remove attachments from weapons and I'm not sure why you can't.

The guns all sound good and are mostly fun to use, with shotguns and ARs my favourite. SMGs chew through ammo too quickly and IMO don't offer much that an AR doesn't.

Still wish each special infected variant had their own model.

Bot AI is the big thing that needs to be fixed, and the game just plain doesn't work with them as it currently stands. This is a big deal as campaigns are long if you want to do a full run through, and as soon as someone leaves you may as well just leave too because the bots are actively detrimental to success.

If I had to pay full price I probably wouldn't, but it's on Gamepass and I'm looking forward to it. They've got time to improve the AI and it has to be their main focus IMO, it's kind of concerning they're this late in development and a core feature is this terrible.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
This poo poo is just all the worst parts of Left 4 Dead stitched together with all the worst parts of Payday 2

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Yeah, to me and mine, this plays like something we wouldn't spend more than maybe $35 on.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Broken Cog posted:

Oh, I'm aware that "better color means shoot better", I was more thinking from a design perspective.

I assume there's a plan to monetise it somehow.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Skyarb posted:

Most of the critical people tried it and already left this thread. Those remaining are really really thirsty for something in this genre. They are getting blood from a stone but hey they're having fun so whatever.

For me and many other people earlier in the thread who already bounced off it, it's a l4d clone that does everything worse than l4d while adding a ton of half baked unneeded and likely to be horrendously monetized mechanics.

Play aliens fire team elite, world war z aftermath or just l4d instead of this mess.

My standards for a game like this are really low honestly.

If my friends buy it - I will probably do the same honestly which kinda sucks because this game is for sure not worth $60 - not even close.

It would be loving awesome as a free to play game though honestly.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Andrew Verse posted:

More weapon damage is the main thing. Higher rarity weapons are also supposed to have better stats, but I'm not entirely sure what stats there are. I'm guessing reload speed, accuracy and that sort of things.

You can ignore firepower as a stat, the Scar is objectively the best weapon because it will oneshot enemies all the way up to the final mission and base damage doesn't seem to change, just handling.

I actually just kind of ignore the weapon system. I'll add a sight and a suppressor but that's about it.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

64bit_Dophins posted:

If my friends buy it - I will probably do the same honestly which kinda sucks because this game is for sure not worth $60 - not even close.

Unless you're on Playstation, the first month of Gamepass is $1 and this'll be on that for PC and Xbox at release.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

dogstile posted:

You can ignore firepower as a stat, the Scar is objectively the best weapon because it will oneshot enemies all the way up to the final mission and base damage doesn't seem to change, just handling.

I actually just kind of ignore the weapon system. I'll add a sight and a suppressor but that's about it.

You don't put on a bigger magazine?

I've started to care more about sights once I realized the 1x optics increase ADS move speed, meaning I can backpedal from tallboys while "pourin' it on", as coach would say.

Also, there's a stock that increases weapon swap speed.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Ramblings from playing, maybe 6 hours or so with my wife this weekend.

On starting the game, we both had colossal tearing and jittering anytime we moved. I was able to track this down to DLSS and turning that off made it much smoother. I have no idea why as we both have cards that use DLSS and use it in other games like Death Stranding and Control, both of which I think are a bit more intensive than this (and I think the whole point of DLSS is that it doesn't need to be intensive). Bad implementation?

The little shooting range kinda put me off before even starting the actual game. The guns mostly sound terrible and feel weak, with a couple of exceptions. The damage numbers don't show for everything (ex: grenades) and when they do show they fall down your screen at your feet or as you turn which looks janky as hell, instead of appearing at the target like other games. Which I guess doesn't matter much since they're not in the actual game part, more of a weird first impression.

I can use the scroll wheel to switch weapons. My wife cannot. We have basically the exact same computer with the exact same mouse and the exact same settings. :iiam:

Bots are useless. Actually, they may be beyond useless and into actively detrimental territory as we found out that if you place a minigun bots will suction to it and never let go, and therefore you cannot win because you cannot get them to the safe room (except the last map which seems to count for being in the humvee). If you try to take control of the bot in the minigun you'll find they don't have any minigun UI or means of exiting or firing the gun at all and then you are also stuck. They don't pick up ammo, they don't pick up health, they don't heal, they often times let zombies walk right up to them and beat on them repeatedly. Sometimes they get stuck on like, a ledge or a traffic cone or something and just jitter around like a maniac until you get far enough away and teleport them.

Difficulty is ...hmm. We did the easiest difficulty and probably 95% of it was far too easy with only a spattering of enemies around, although a handful of moments were still reasonably tense like the boat escape and That One Alleyway. But still we managed to wipe in two cases when the game spawned 10-15 specials at once. I assume this was the game bugging out and it was not intended to spawn like, 5 tallboys inside of us while spawning 10 more tallboys to beat on us as we're grabbed on the easiest difficulty. Both times it did this is just spawned a shitload of one special and none of any other, and on replaying the levels it didn't happen which also feels like it supports my bugged theory. At the end it actually bugged out in the other direction and we played the final mission with only one tallboy who was stuck up in the tunnel and immune to damage and nothing else spawned so...that's something.

It took us a shamefully long time to figure out there are actually multiple types of different special infected that look almost exactly the same and sound exactly the same for some terrible reason. I thought I was going crazy trying to figure out why sometimes this guy is shooting acid and sometimes he just pops like a balloon.

Hitting special weak spots does not seem to give off any indication you are doing so. Generally in video games you expect like, a different sound or animation or something. (edit: I am incorrect see below)

I feel like the game would flow better if you had less weapon/mod pickups during a level, but maybe got more money and more options in the saferoom shop between levels. More of a CounterStrike system. Even with just two of us there was lots of stopping throughout levels to go "Oh, a mod or a gun? Do you need this? Is it better? Wait what did you just replace it with? Oh hold up let me look now." which really killed the flow at times.

They need to tone down the blood on character models by like, literally 95%. Everyone is just a brownish blob by the end of the level. They also need to wildly tone down the blood splashes when you melee something and it obscures the whole center of your screen.

I think the upsetting thing is the idea of a base game of L4D with 'builds' is something that genuinely appeals to me. It's something I want to enjoy. Like if there was a mod where you played the original 13 year old L4D with some RPG mechanics I would play that. But matching that 13 year old base game just doesn't seem to be here.

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 16, 2021

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Weak spots have a yellow hit marker

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Do tallboys have heads as another weakpoint? Barks say yes, but I'm not sure. It does seem headshots will put crushers into a stun animation and release their prey.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

VulgarandStupid posted:

Weak spots have a yellow hit marker

Huh, I guess you're right now that I look up videos. I did not notice that firsthand.

https://i.imgur.com/GD8Iscs.mp4

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

The regular ones, bruiser?, just have the shoulder. The ones that grab you, crushers?, have the mouth weak spot. From the one time I played Versus there is another variant too, I think.

I can’t keep track of who’s blade, laser and blazer.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

64bit_Dophins posted:

Tell your friends to get those other games I mentioned instead. All much better.

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Some fun glitches from my play through yesterday afternoon.

Playing with three, and a bot.

Mom-Bot wouldn't get off the mini-gun, after we all made it to the safe room. I jumped off the edge to instantly die (by accident, I was expecting a ledge grab.) This let me control Mom to get her off the minigun and throw her into the safe room.

The last mission completely glitched. We got two total mobs, and no specials, made it very easy!

I pretty much agree with a lot of what's been said.

The specials aren't designed well, both in look, feel, and how they act. The L4D specials, just had unique silhouettes that made them stand out a bit more, or movement, and colors on their models. All the specials in B4B have the same color scheme to them, and it's kind of boring to look at, doesn't say anything about their abilities, or allows them to really blend in with the other monsters.

I did get some good laughs from Hoffman's lines, but man. There's a flu line given by an NPC in a camper about getting a vax, and that was just too real, and took me right out of the game.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Saint Freak posted:

But still we managed to wipe in two cases when the game spawned 10-15 specials at once. I assume this was the game bugging out and it was not intended to spawn like, 5 tallboys inside of us while spawning 10 more tallboys to beat on us as we're grabbed on the easiest difficulty. Both times it did this is just spawned a shitload of one special and none of any other, and on replaying the levels it didn't happen which also feels like it supports my bugged theory.
I'm pretty sure it's not a bug, it's just very badly implemented. 9 months ago when I played the alpha it was basically the same w/r/t special spawning. Infact, they even toned it down a little bit because the boat used to covered with about 10 pukers at once that'd snipe you with puke through windows across the map and constant bruisers. Now it's only semi-constant.

The game would actually be easy if it didn't spawn 10 bruisers or other specials at once which is probably why they're doing it.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
After a weekend of play and a bit of time to reflect, I think whether or not I buy this will depend heavily on the amount of campaign content and design refinement in the release. The lack of modding means that a lot of campaign content is absolutely essential - and if they're charging sixty bucks, there had better loving be a wealth of it included! The beta levels were feeling tired and repetitive by the end of the weekend after only 3-4 playthroughs. Doesn't help that the "director" and card systems aren't actually doing much to make different runs feel meaningfully different. I put a lot of blame on the lackluster special infected designs compared to L4D, particularly the lack of tank equivalents (and no, spawning 4-5 bruisers in a row isn't anywhere near as much fun as L4D tanks). If there's at least four times as many levels in the total campaign then I could see it still working, assuming a bunch of the bugs and imbalanced mechanics are ironed out by release. If it has only, say, twice as many levels as the beta? I don't think it'll hold interest long enough to be worth the price of admission. I've gotten dozens-to-hundreds of hours of top quality entertainment out of games half the price they're asking for B4B.

It's also very clear that there's a fundamental difference in target audience between L4D and B4B. In almost every place it could, B4B adds complex mechanics alongside extremely punishing challenges that will force you to learn and exploit those mechanics to the fullest - or else you die horribly and have no fun at all. L4D, in contrast, was constantly simplifying so as to put as little friction as possible between the players and living out a bunch of classic zombie movie vignettes. B4B is also very focused on consistent challenges and planning smartly for them before the game even starts - part of why the levels feel so repetitive - while L4D dialed the randomness up for the sake of entertaining variety and got away with it because of far more forgiving mechanics. B4B is about the satisfaction of getting into nitty-gritty mechanical details while L4D is about not getting bogged down on the way to having fun. I remember a huge uproar from the simulationist crowd back when L4D came out because of the lack of aim down sights and having only three guns that each represented fundamental weapon categories. B4B is made by and for the exact same kinds of players who were making those complaints.

I'm not entirely sure whether that target audience includes me. Considering that I've been obsessed with insanely difficult coop games since Myth coop on Legendary back in the early aughts, and have done both Mythic and Savage raid clears in their respective MMOs, I clearly enjoy the near-masochism of being forced to reshape myself to solve an artificial puzzle. Hell, I went so hard on L4D back in the day that Expert Realism started feeling too easy. In that vein, B4B is right up my alley. On the other hand, I've never been a gun nut nor milsim fan so a lot of the gun customization mechanics feel less like an interesting puzzle piece and more like a drag that has to be slogged through by rote on the way to the actual challenge. Not to mention that I'm not in my teens or even twenties anymore; while I've never really grown up, I still don't have quite the same fire for artificial challenges now that real challenges weigh heavier. I can still feel the Everest-like call of the seemingly-impossible Nightmare full clear, but I'm not going to spend the time and energy to find/build a progression group from scratch at this point. These days the decider is how many casual playthroughs with casual buddies the game will be able to sustain.

tldr: B4B is a sweaty apocalyptic militia-fantasy game that is half fascinating, half actively offputting, and half self-sabotaging. It's weird.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 16, 2021

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

PicklePants posted:

I did get some good laughs from Hoffman's lines, but man. There's a flu line given by an NPC in a camper about getting a vax, and that was just too real, and took me right out of the game.

Did you look above her? The guy who refused to get the vax is dead up there. Very much too real.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I actually kind of like Hoffmans character as portrayed. While his conspiracy bullshit is insufferable, he really sounds desperately sincere and concerned when actually helping or apologizing to other characters, which redeems him a little and explains why they put up with him.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004
I just found out this is on Gamepass day one, so that definitely kills it as a 60 dollar purchase for me.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Senethro posted:

I actually kind of like Hoffmans character as portrayed. While his conspiracy bullshit is insufferable, he really sounds desperately sincere and concerned when actually helping or apologizing to other characters, which redeems him a little and explains why they put up with him.

Hoffman is the closest thing to the Hellbilly aesthetic that was put on display with their trailers and so on. I was really looking forward to that being a thing, as I always felt that L4D missed the mark by having a dreadfully milquetoast setup. Then when I got in game, Hoffman was the only point that overtly hits that dynamic.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Hoffman is well written. He's absolutely not likeable, but he's a very believable character.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Nah, there is another character who is a hillbilly but the devs made sure to tell us he isn’t racist.

There is also an Asian female doctor, which is not stereotyping at all. And a skin fade, swept back pink chick.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
isn't jim supposed to be the hillbilly

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
we're all hillbillies inside

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
The redheaded woman was probably the only character I didn't like since she had the worst of the Whedonesque lines with "You know those pointy things that come out of the gun? Yeah, I need more of those."

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I think the developers know they've run out of time to craft something triple A by this stage, given the apparent lack of changes or improvements from the closed Alpha to the Beta builds which were a year apart or something.

That's why I think it's going to Game Pass. I definitely wouldn't be playing this as a full price game but as a GP release it should provide some entertainment.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I think the developers know they've run out of time to craft something triple A by this stage, given the apparent lack of changes or improvements from the closed Alpha to the Beta builds which were a year apart or something.

That's why I think it's going to Game Pass. I definitely wouldn't be playing this as a full price game but as a GP release it should provide some entertainment.

How does everyone else feel about the amount of guns? I felt like there were just way way way too many. Like, why are there so many variations of the same basic guns with slight differences in stats? Same goes for the attachments. When you add weapon quality on top of it, it translated to me spending way too much time hemming and hawing over stats when I'd rather be running and gunning. Looking over numbers before a mission is one thing, but once poo poo gets going I want to fight some fuckin' zombies yo

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
All of the stats are fake and don't matter anyway. Firepower is a dumb stat that means gently caress all when you realise that the scar is the only rifle that will consistently kill with bodyshots on harder modes, because I think firepower affects stagger rate, not actual power. If it does, it doesn't do nearly enough.

So yeah, remove the stats imo

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

How does everyone else feel about the amount of guns? I felt like there were just way way way too many. Like, why are there so many variations of the same basic guns with slight differences in stats? Same goes for the attachments. When you add weapon quality on top of it, it translated to me spending way too much time hemming and hawing over stats when I'd rather be running and gunning. Looking over numbers before a mission is one thing, but once poo poo gets going I want to fight some fuckin' zombies yo

Honestly, the beauty of L4D was the simplicity of it especially when it came to guns

*edit: I know someone is going to wade in and go "well this game might not be for you then" and I'm well aware of that after having played the beta. I'll continue to occasionally play the 2 L4D games but I'm a little disappointed that when we asked for more these devs thought we wanted more of everything rather than just the good bits of the old games. Disappointing but this is the games industry where companies love overcomplicating everything to the detriment of the actual gameplay.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

As many others have said, the beauty of L4D 1 and 2 was simplicity and instant recognition of special infected and tier 2 weapons. There's too much grinding stuff here and too little variety from the Game Director, too many impossible fights on harder difficulties and not enough personality to characters. Within a short time time of playing L4D I knew each character by sight and sound.

Back 4 Blood is trying to be jack of all trades, ending up as master of none.