Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
OMG you guys are the tits, thank you for helping me!

poo poo, what an awful snipe, but the sentiment is real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Maggie Fletcher posted:

OMG you guys are the tits, thank you for helping me!

poo poo, what an awful snipe, but the sentiment is real.

Aren't you going to tell us what we're looking at?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Aren't you going to tell us what we're looking at?

I still can't figure out imgur, but the cabinet thing that was posted earlier was the Murphy bed. The second link I managed to post is the ridiculous custom closet doors, and the third thing was our table from Etsy that was built from reclaimed wood and is completely awesome.

If I can figure this super easy thing out I promise to post cat pics as penance.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Edit: drat, it didn't work. That's the "link" from imgur. When I try "embed" it says I've been "BLOCKED FROM SA" in very large, threatening letters.

Anyway, try this:

Murphy bed (excuse the wall hangings that are currently on the floor): https://imgur.com/a/41HXsQJ

Closet doors (holy crap that's a big closet): https://imgur.com/a/UDyH3Dq

Table from Etsy (at the warehouse with the leaf in): https://imgur.com/a/XSQqtbd

Oh holy poo poo the closet doors are way bigger than I imagined when we were talking about this before........and most importantly they look so good. I'm really glad you got all of that done.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Trip report:

Definitely didn't get any darker as it dried. Creepy hyper-airbrushed baby is not impressed.

Bottom right is the bare wood. Top right is the Wilmington Tan. You can barely tell it's there, which again is kind of why we were looking at it, but I feel like on the scale of the ceiling it'd look weird, so thanks to the goons who were trying to talk me out of it!

Top left/center is the "translucent", natural on the left and cedar in the middle. Bottom left/center is the "transparent." Even if it were still available, not sure I'd trust the accuracy of this sample given how much of the solids had settled out in the can. I think in theory it should be identical to the "translucent," but I cannot figure out what the actual difference is supposed to be between the two. They must have reformulated it for whatever reason and given it a new name, but I can't find any information on it whatsoever.

So in any case the stain takes the "raw" look off the boards, so I think we'd be happy with even natural. I like the look of the cedar in theory, but not sure if I want it on the ceiling... especially if they apply it too dark.

Gonna have to stare at this for a bit, and when the sun comes up a bit more see what it looks like in daylight.

edit:

just told them to go ahead with the natural. Sounds like they do 2 coats, so hopefully it won't end up too dark. I figure with the natural, if we hate it it'll be easier to cover/redo later. I mean, I like it anyhow, so that seems like a bonus, and even if it's darker I'm sure we can live with it.

also sounds like ETA is end of next week for completion. Didn't think it'd be that soon. Might not be since there's rain in the forecast, but we'll see. It'd be great to have this finally knocked out and can actually be outside for more than 5 minutes without a) breaking in to a sweat and b) being eaten alive by mosquitos.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 13, 2021

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Motronic posted:

Oh holy poo poo the closet doors are way bigger than I imagined when we were talking about this before........and most importantly they look so good. I'm really glad you got all of that done.

Thanks man! Yeah I remember posters gawking at the price tag--I did too--but there was just no other way to do it. There's nothing at a big box store I could buy that would fit, and I'm not handy enough to build them myself. It was this or just be able to see all of my clothes and stuff, which was convenient, but looked so cluttered even though it was organized. These were worth every penny.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

TheWevel posted:

A while ago I posted in this thread about the previous owner of my house not paying their HOA dues last year. Theoretically this should have been resolved in closing but I've found out that the closing attorney reached out to the HOA, got the amounts due and then...never did anything with them. We did pay a prorated amount from our closing date through the end of the year. While I've been getting this worked out, my HOA applied the 2021 dues that I paid to last year's and they're now saying that I owe for 2021 plus the initiation fee from last year when we purchased.

What's my recourse with the closing attorney here? It's pretty obvious they've screwed this up but the post-closing person has been giving me the run around. Should I just get my own attorney to deal with this?

:siren: UPDATE :siren:

The closing attorney office admitted fault and are overnighting a check to my HOA! Being persistent pays off, folks.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

StormDrain posted:

The most secure password is one you don't even know.

Changing all my passwords to “ one you don’t even know”.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Based on length alone it's a pretty good password.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

TheWevel posted:

:siren: UPDATE :siren:

The closing attorney office admitted fault and are overnighting a check to my HOA! Being persistent pays off, folks.

Hell yes, well done.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
New homebuyer reno trip update:

Cutting paint can suck my entire rear end!

That is all.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Spent all day wiring in a new thermostat; trying various combinations. Having to trudge up and down to attic and onto breaker to get it done.

Ended up using fan control as C wire; and making a lovely jump to have fan turn on.

I think what threw me was the air handler connected in line to ac and then normal furnace controls.

I am planning to get a 5 wire control wire and run pull it up but that’s another trip to Lowe’s today and gently caress that.

All so I could get my upstairs connected to Home Assistant; which I should have checked as ecobee needs cloud connection; grrrr.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Alright, I now have to make a decision on which refinance option to go with prior to closing. 30 year fixed mortgage

a) 2.5% rate, with no cash to close and an immediate credit of $2200 beyond a credit for all closing costs.
b) 2.375% rate, with $3000 cash to close.

Break even point is after approximately 5 years. Total savings is ~15k over the life time of loan.

Philosophically which would you all go with (assume no significant impact to finances)?

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

ntan1 posted:

Alright, I now have to make a decision on which refinance option to go with prior to closing. 30 year fixed mortgage

a) 2.5% rate, with no cash to close and an immediate credit of $2200 beyond a credit for all closing costs.
b) 2.375% rate, with $3000 cash to close.

Break even point is after approximately 5 years. Total savings is ~15k over the life time of loan.

Philosophically which would you all go with (assume no significant impact to finances)?

There is no “philosophically” correct way for someone to answer this question without knowing more information. The most important being how long you plan to be in the home. If it’s 30 years and you don’t need the cash now, loan B is the better option.

Loan A sounds rad on a shorter timeline. If there’s a chance at all of you wanting to move within 10 years I’d take that.

These are both such comically low interest rates though, you don’t really have a bad option

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
It's philosophical because even if I plan to stay 15+ years, the question is about the risk of refinancing again. Ie can I refinance in the future if rates drop even more?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

ntan1 posted:

It's philosophical because even if I plan to stay 15+ years, the question is about the risk of refinancing again. Ie can I refinance in the future if rates drop even more?

I don’t think I’d count on the rates getting much lower that, lol.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Today I persevered over my own idiocy and mowed my lawn again!

When my grandma passed in April, I inherited my grandparents ~2007 john deere lawn tractor which has been sitting (outside) at my cousins mower shop for prob 2 years. I used to mow my grandparents lawn with it a lot in college and was really happy to get it. I finally got my cousin to bring it to me after replacing some broken stuff, including the carb at some point, and paid them for the work. I have ~0.75 acres of lawn so I needed to not be push mowing badly. I started it up and it ran great.

Next day, on my first time out...

...I hit a stump that was hidden under the now very tall grass that I had forgotten about, bending the deck at the spindle mount enough to cause the blades to hit each other.
...then when I removed the blade spindle, every bolt head sheared off
...rather than wait for my new spindles to arrive I decided to drill a new bolt pattern in the aluminum spindle housing. I held the spindle shaft in a vise and held the aluminum body with my left hand, drilling with a cordless drill with my right. In the process of doing this the drill bit bound and the drill bit's chip flute managed to dig into my left thumb. You can easily see the fat in my thumb. Luckily, no tendon issues, just required a steristrip by my lovely wife. I get a tetanus shot next day.

So my thumb heals quite quickly. My new spindles, blades and a pulley get in from amazon and I get the deck back together. I level the blades with a combo of hammering the deck and a couple washers as shims. There some rust patches and holes, I give them some wire wheeling and a coat of anti-rust primer.

I go to start the mower to drive it on ramps to put my newly refurbished deck on and...
...gas is shooting out of the carburetor vent hole...
...disassemble my brand new carb and theres a nice ultra sticky layer of varnish, causing the float to stick. Also the fuel shut off solenoid is clearly sticking.
...clean them up put it all back together and...
...the choke return spring wont snap the choke closed anymore.
...I bend the little wire that pushes it open to decrease the friction and...

It finally works and runs! Mower deck went in and the yard has been mowed once again!

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Owning a lawn tractor is like owning a motorcycle: you better get good at little repairs, or you better have a fat wallet to bring it to the shop when it needs it.

A recent fix of mine was a stupid little solenoid on the bottom of the carb bowl that blocks fuel flow when deenergized. A pointless feature, that as best I can tell, is only to prevent backfires when turning it off. Mine broke, and it took me a few minutes to figure out why fuel wasn't entering the engine. For 2 seasons, I've been running with it disabled (zip tied open), because the nut to take it out requires a super thin wrench, and I'm too lazy to grind one of mine down. I have the part, but meh.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

B-Nasty posted:

Owning a lawn tractor is like owning a motorcycle: you better get good at little repairs, or you better have a fat wallet to bring it to the shop when it needs it.

A recent fix of mine was a stupid little solenoid on the bottom of the carb bowl that blocks fuel flow when deenergized. A pointless feature, that as best I can tell, is only to prevent backfires when turning it off. Mine broke, and it took me a few minutes to figure out why fuel wasn't entering the engine. For 2 seasons, I've been running with it disabled (zip tied open), because the nut to take it out requires a super thin wrench, and I'm too lazy to grind one of mine down. I have the part, but meh.

The B&S engine I've got is the same way. I had a thin wrench but if you didn't I bet you could unscrew the solenoid by hand. Be aware the carb bowl comes with it on mine.

But yea I'm seeing that. I've always said I'd only ever own electric but decent electric ride on mower start at 10X what I have in this thing even with the repairs. Luckily I can fix just about anything.

EDIT: Also it is now surging sometimes at about half throttle. But not every time, it will sometimes start and run perfectly. Seems to be more of an issue when cold. Idles well. Ugh.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode
Is this the best thread for lawn care questions, or is the Horticulture one better? I have become a Future Previous Owner and figure I have precious little time to get the lawn pointed in the right direction before the fall. It is currently an extremely diverse ecosystem of clover, crabgrass, some weeds with small purple flowers, and occasionally actual grass. Also, the soil seems really compacted because after hosing something down the water just ... stood there.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Ripped out the old floor today and found a bunch of damp concrete. The culprit: a leaking boiler siphon, which the POs left leaking for ~1 year and the inspector didn’t notice

gently caress me

No new floors til this dries

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

please knock Mom! posted:

Ripped out the old floor today and found a bunch of damp concrete. The culprit: a leaking boiler siphon, which the POs left leaking for ~1 year and the inspector didn’t notice

gently caress me

No new floors til this dries

I know it doesnt help you now but a FLIR that plugs into a phone is $250 and this would stick out like a sore thumb even on a low res device like that. Also useful for looking at electronics and for heating/cooling issues as long as the temp differential is big between outside and inside.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I too would like to know how to murder ground ivy (creeping Charlie) and crabgrass. Crab grass in particular is invading all of my garden beds.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

CarForumPoster posted:

I know it doesnt help you now but a FLIR that plugs into a phone is $250 and this would stick out like a sore thumb even on a low res device like that. Also useful for looking at electronics and for heating/cooling issues as long as the temp differential is big between outside and inside.

Oh yeah I’m an unprepared and stupid newbie to this all, and it’s pretty minor stuff, just annoyed by the previous owners who lived there for literal years and just

didn’t do anything about broken poo poo

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Oh yeah I’m an unprepared and stupid newbie to this all, and it’s pretty minor stuff, just annoyed by the previous owners who lived there for literal years and just

didn’t do anything about broken poo poo

hating the PO is a right of passage

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I just took a shed down because mold and termites completely destroyed the bottom plate and a corner of the studs, but in doing so found out that it was actually an older shed and they cladded it in new sheeting and shingled over the original layer, making everything twice as heavy and giving me twice as much waste!

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

NomNomNom posted:

I too would like to know how to murder ground ivy (creeping Charlie) and crabgrass. Crab grass in particular is invading all of my garden beds.

Same problems here. Everything I've read is basically expect to have a very lovely lawn for a few months as you cover it with landscape/mulch vinegar to kill off all vegetation and then start your lawn from scratch.

Of note, drought resistant grass is actually pretty good as it generally has much deeper roots than normal grass and crowds out weeds once established - but it's also slow growing so that's a pain too.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

CarForumPoster posted:

hating the PO is a right of passage

This wallpaper was what they picked

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Please tell me that color grade is due to smoke or cooking oils etc rising.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Is that the fuzzy style wallpaper people love to touch when they come over that was also in every house in Goodfellas?

I rented a condo with that poo poo on every wall and the ceilings in the staircases AND above the tile in the shower.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I just went through removing 30yo wallpaper and refinishing the walls. Is this something you're planning to DIY? If so, want me to write some notes on it? It is not a fun job. Kinda wish I had hired it out.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

unknown posted:

Of note, drought resistant grass is actually pretty good as it generally has much deeper roots than normal grass and crowds out weeds once established - but it's also slow growing so that's a pain too.

If you're in the right zones, UC Verde Buffalograss is a winner. It takes about a full year to re-establish itself during which you've got to take care to weed it and keep the top of the soil moist as the runners spread out and root, but when it's a full carpet the thatch is thick enough to prevent most weeds. It also doesn't grow longer than 5 or so inches, so if you like the wavy prairie look, it's basically maintenance free. I've had to establish mine twice-- I had to move the lawn for some hardscaping work-- and I love the look

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The only success I ever had getting rid of crabgrass was pulling it every 2 weeks. It sucks.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
more grasschat

here's a closeup of the prairieness of it-- this section is just over a year established:

and I am expanding my grass area, so here's after about 6 weeks of establishing, and you can see how thick it gets at the edge of the other established area.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

So a possible huge(?) windfall for me - I get to move back in with my mom!!!!

Well, sort of.

My mother was co-owner of a duplex (3br 1ba each side, fully separated yards and entrances/garages) and lived in half and he friend lived in the other half. Back in the early 2000s they both agreed to purchase the property together.

Last week my mother's friend passed away, and my mother called me up to tell me about it and offered to let me move in to the other side of the house. It turns out my mother and her friend had a Right of Survivorship agreement in the title mortgage and suddenly my mother now owns the other half of this house. This is a big deal for me because I currently pay $1400 for a 2br apartment in the lovely part of town, but the other half of the mortgage I'd be paying is something like $550 a month for a bigger place in a better neighborhood, which is something I want to jump all over.

What steps should we be taking here? Apparently RoS agreements bypass the normal wills and probate process, so her brother and sisters can't get any of the equity or assets. We've contacted a real estate lawyer to get the process of submitting documents to our county reporter and are going to be paying the other half of the mortgage in the meantime before I move in. Anything here I'm missing?

edit: And what about the other property inside the house, and her car outside? I don't know what those would be considered. Obviously we'll get the lawyer's opinion but I'm just wondering if anyone here has inherited something in this way or dealt with this kind of thing before.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

kinda really considering getting one of these thanks for the heads up

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I own a FLIR phone thing and it rules. Besides being a fun toy it does help dramatically in finding areas of concern in attics and crawl spaces. You can use it as a circuit breaker finder too if you put a load on the circuit and look at the panel of breakers with it.

It has a lot of uses I probably haven't figured out yet.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

CarForumPoster posted:

I just went through removing 30yo wallpaper and refinishing the walls. Is this something you're planning to DIY? If so, want me to write some notes on it? It is not a fun job. Kinda wish I had hired it out.

Nah dude, this poo poo is nasty. I bet I’ll accidentally gently caress up the plaster behind it if I do it myself, I’m way clumsy. I’m having it done currently by a handywoman recommended to me. She already did one wall perfectly.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Nah dude, this poo poo is nasty. I bet I’ll accidentally gently caress up the plaster behind it if I do it myself, I’m way clumsy. I’m having it done currently by a handywoman recommended to me. She already did one wall perfectly.

This is the right choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I made the call that the less I do, the less risk of poo poo going wrong. This is the case for most things outside of my expertise