Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

DoubleDonut posted:

took me a minute to remember there was a mythological Jason and so it's probably not Jason Voorhees

Oh, gently caress, right okay yeah

Now that makes sense..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

lol

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Jason Voorhees and the Argonauts.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
would jason be a berserker?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah. Maybe an Assassin.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shouldn't he be a Foreigner?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

What a tiresome line of discussion

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
it's not the no tiresome line of discussion thread, it's the anime discussion thread

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Stairmaster posted:

i think he would be chaotic-neutral

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucitKPJtUNM

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

would jason be a berserker?

Camp councillor at Crystal Lake

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i prefer dubs generally but i'm not married to them. if the dub VA does a good job, it's a better experience, but conversely mistakes and awkward phrasing is way easier to notice and can result in a worse experience. there can be bad dubs but with subs the VA would have to be doing a really exceptionally poor job for me to to notice (sometimes subs are just harder to follow and worded poorly too though and i hate that)

a dub VA nailing a scene is always better than hearing the japanese VA nail the same scene

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

a dub VA nailing a scene is always better than hearing the japanese VA nail the same scene
(citation needed)

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

what servant class would goku be stair

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Endorph posted:

(citation needed)

Redline, but I think it's the rare exception

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I think it was more the "always" that caught their attention

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Aurora posted:

what servant class would goku be stair

According to Chi Chi: freeloader.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

(citation needed)

Assuming you don't understand Japanese, it makes sense.

Only example with good VA work in both languages I can think of off the top of my head is yakuza 7 though.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i watch subs so i can tell people "yeah ive been reading a lot more lately"

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I prefer subs for everything, even when the show is originally in English :unsmigghh:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The Colonel posted:

i prefer subs because it lets me have some very very slight amount of jp hearing practice

i got listening fluent by watching subbed anime (and japanese movies/dramas) and now i just watch unsubbed because i don't need them anymore :unsmith:

also, do listen to drama cds, they're often a clearer listening experience than video because they have to present the story via voices only. i think drama cds is what helped me finally ditch subs completely (barring an edge case like cells at work :v:). plus you get more fun character poo poo for your favourite shows!

Stexils posted:

i watch subs so i can tell people "yeah ive been reading a lot more lately"

i read manga for that :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Every dub I've heard, even the ones people swear up and down are 'good', sound terrible to me so I stick to subs

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I used to watch a lot of dubs, pretty much all subtitles now. I think every single time I've thought "wow, the dub really nailed that" and then compared, the original was still noticeably better. More often than not, revisiting a dub I used to think was fine gets me wondering how I ever thought that. With that said, I do have a soft spot for the Welcome to the NHK dub because they clearly had a lot of fun with it.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ninjewtsu posted:

i prefer dubs generally but i'm not married to them.
Coward! Put a ring to it. :colbert:

Goku would be a berserker. Jason Voorhees is not picky when it comes to murderin' time, so while I'd like to say "Assassin", I feel like he could accommodate to most classes (save for maybe Caster) just fine.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Acerbatus posted:

Assuming you don't understand Japanese, it makes sense.

Only example with good VA work in both languages I can think of off the top of my head is yakuza 7 though.

This is partly a philosophical thing, more than a critical one, but I think that dubs just don't work (or don't work as well) in "real world" settings where they would obviously be talking a language other than English.

My level of dub tolerance for totally fantastical settings is higher as a result*. Or something like El Shaddai, that's a good rear end dub where the only thing you miss out on from the Japanese version is the memes.

*Still pretty low though.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.
I primarily tend to watch subs just because they’re available first, but if a dub has a voice actor in it that I like from something else I sometimes watch that instead.

Recently I’ve started using dubs as a recap of shows before a new series starts, like before this season I watched the dubs of season 1 of Maid Dragon and Villainess which is a fun way of reminding myself what’s happened before the new series while also being fresh and not just watching the exact same thing I’ve watched before.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I've been watching a lot of dubs due to the fact that my wife won't watch subs unless there's literally no other choice. Her two favorite VA's are Kira Buckland and Kyle McCarley (she really likes Nier Automata) so anything with those two is a must-watch.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Typically if the original version of a series is easily available to me I’ll always watch that first. However, if the dub of said series is decent I’ll swap over to that if I choose to rewatch said show later on.

I will maintain that some shows like Cowboy Bebop actually work better dubbed than subbed in my opinion though.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Every dub I've heard, even the ones people swear up and down are 'good', sound terrible to me so I stick to subs

Agreed. There's a particular quality to the voice acting that seems to rub me the wrong way, not quite sure what it is. Part of it might be the choice of American accents they tend to use?

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

this^
I feel like there are probably a few pretty good dub actors but the less good ones are grating enough it kind of ruins the whole experience.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

All modern dub voice actors sound the same to me.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Larryb posted:

I will maintain that some shows like Cowboy Bebop actually work better dubbed than subbed in my opinion though.

i had no idea the dub also had hayashibara megumi :v:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Truga posted:

i had no idea the dub also had hayashibara megumi :v:

True (in fact, I don’t think Megumi has EVER turned in a bad performance) but Wendee Lee does a decent job as well.

Both are good to be fair, I just thought the show worked a little better in English considering the setting and the show’s clear western influence.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 16, 2021

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
the only dub i ever really enjoyed was hellsing ultimate's dub, and a big chunk of it is because crispin freeman sounds like a batshit crazy maniac playing alucard, more so than jouji nakata

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I will watch both dubs and subs but I will generally prefer dubs as it means I can be doing something else whilst watching them.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i don't wanna be doing something else while watching anime, it deserves my full attention

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I usually prefer dubs in slice of life shows and i have no idea why

marumaru
May 20, 2013

まどか (まどか)
https://twitter.com/CiloRanko/status/1427080987100409856

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tales of Woe posted:

i don't wanna be doing something else while watching anime, it deserves my full attention

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I like a good dub but I usually just go for the subs these days when I get into a new show