Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SiKboy posted:

The final gross of the films is pretty irrelevant

You brought up "#1 movies", in a manner implying big very popular movies.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CainFortea posted:

It actually implies movies that were number one at the box office. Why do you think someone saying "movies that were number one at the box office" would mean "movies that were not number one at the box office for the year but still did quite well overall in that period?"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

CainFortea posted:

I mean, if I was going by overall gross, then there wouldnt be a list of multiple #1 movies for 1993, there would be one. Because it would have had the #1 gross for the year, excluding the vanishingly small chance that two movies grossed the exact same amount that year. I didnt say that "other top ten grossing movies of the year included...", I said "other #1 films in the US included". If I said "#1 singles of 1993 included Informer by Snow", no-one would be confused or feel compelled to point out that "well actually I will always love you by Whitney Houston sold more overall", would they? Each of the movies I mentioned was in fact the most popular movie for at least a week in 1993 which matters because, and I feel I've explained this before, but you appear to have missed it, the point I was making was that it is EXTREMELY misleading to compare someones favorite movies from 1993 (or any other past year) with their least favourite movies from a recent year and use that to decide that movies now are worse than movies then. I dont think anyone else thought I was implying that Cop and A Half outgrossed Jurassic Park.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

SiKboy posted:

I mean, Cop and A Half outgrossed Jurassic Park.

Bullshit you loving liar

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

James Woods posted:

Usually for these types of things production teams find car enthusiasts to bring their personal vehicles for period pieces. It's way cheaper to invite a car club for a day of filming your 1950s main street scene than renting from a prop shop. I have no doubt there's some people in Canada that restore vintage USPS vehicles and for that reason they're probably pristine.

A Goon sold his 1950's sedan to the producers of the last Indiana Jones' sequel with the expectation he could buy it back at a lower price after they were done with it. It's the car they crash and wreck in the campus chase scene. They apparently never told him they were going to drive it into a statue.

At least that's the story I recall from <checks calendar> 2008? Wow, back when SA was still relevant.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

oldpainless posted:

Bullshit you loving liar

Maybe $40 million is more than $1 billion in his country?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I think the OP was just saying "Hey, lovely movies have always been popular. This is nothing new". I don't think they were making a blanket statement about trash movies utterly dominating the box office.

I worked in a video store for a while and remember it well. Stupid motherfuckers calling the store to reserve "Stop or My Mom Will Shoot" or "Look Who's Talking" and being bummed out when garbage like that was rented out.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
lol I had that same job and that same experience

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Stop or my mum will shot is refined garbage for the discerning viewer

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BiggerBoat posted:

I worked in a video store for a while and remember it well. Stupid motherfuckers calling the store to reserve "Stop or My Mom Will Shoot" or "Look Who's Talking" and being bummed out when garbage like that was rented out.
Wow Randall tell us more

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Jestery posted:

Stop or my mum will shot is refined garbage for the discerning viewer

Funny thing about that movie. It came out right at the height of Stallone and Schwarzenegger's careers and at the time Stallone was getting sick of losing roles to Arnold so he was aggressively going after any role that he heard he was interested in. Arnold knew this and decided to lay a trap. He asked his agent for the biggest piece of poo poo script that had been sent their way recently. SOMMWS was chosen and Arnold read for the role and expressed interest. Stallone gets wind of this and begs the producer for an audition and kills it, agreeing to take less money than Arnold was asking. The rest is history.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

James Woods posted:

Funny thing about that movie. It came out right at the height of Stallone and Schwarzenegger's careers and at the time Stallone was getting sick of losing roles to Arnold so he was aggressively going after any role that he heard he was interested in. Arnold knew this and decided to lay a trap. He asked his agent for the biggest piece of poo poo script that had been sent their way recently. SOMMWS was chosen and Arnold read for the role and expressed interest. Stallone gets wind of this and begs the producer for an audition and kills it, agreeing to take less money than Arnold was asking. The rest is history.

That story reminds me of when on the set of Predator, Arnold had the costume designer alter Jesse Ventura's shirts to be a little smaller in circumference around the biceps. That way Ventura thought his workouts were on par with Arnold's (everybody was pumping iron during breaks & the alpha male ego was pretty thick). When the tape measure was broken out at the end Jesse was flabbergasted that Arnold handily beat him, thinking he was keeping pace since his shirts were barely fitting.

That Schwarzenegger … he might be brighter than the stereotypical strong lunkhead.

Except for the part regarding loving the housekeeper in his own bed without a condom

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Android Apocalypse posted:

That story reminds me of when on the set of Predator, Arnold had the costume designer alter Jesse Ventura's shirts to be a little smaller in circumference around the biceps. That way Ventura thought his workouts were on par with Arnold's (everybody was pumping iron during breaks & the alpha male ego was pretty thick). When the tape measure was broken out at the end Jesse was flabbergasted that Arnold handily beat him, thinking he was keeping pace since his shirts were barely fitting.

That Schwarzenegger … he might be brighter than the stereotypical strong lunkhead.

Except for the part regarding loving the housekeeper in his own bed without a condom

If memory serves there was also a wager made between the two. I think a fancy case of booze. But yeah Arnold seems like a diabolical practical joker.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I still don't understand how TMNT 3 wasn't about Krang and Dimension X.

That cartoon, that'd been around for 6 years at that point, had gone nuts in popularity, so everyone knew who and what Krang was.

Just.... just fuckin' make it about that stuff! :psyduck:

And to bring Casey Jones back as a babysitter.... :negative:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
TMNT3 having a plot regarding feudal Japan doesn't bother me too much, as i believe the Turtles in Time game was out too. By then the action choreography was pretty atrocious tho.

I kinda want to watch TMNT 3 again. I saw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Secret of the Ooze recently and I kind of want some completion on that era's trilogy.

EDIT: I just looked it up on IMBD and when was TMNT 3 The Sacred Scroll of Death added to the title of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III?!?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TMNT3 having a plot regarding feudal Japan doesn't bother me too much, as i believe the Turtles in Time game was out too. By then the action choreography was pretty atrocious tho.

I kinda want to watch TMNT 3 again. I saw Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Secret of the Ooze recently and I kind of want some completion on that era's trilogy.

EDIT: I just looked it up on IMBD and when was TMNT 3 The Sacred Scroll of Death added to the title of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III?!?

There are some Blu Ray or DVD versions out there that subtitled it with "Turtles in Time". Basically, it's marketing not talking to other departments, and getting poo poo messed up.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Baron von Eevl posted:

It actually implies movies that were number one at the box office. Why do you think someone saying "movies that were number one at the box office" would mean "movies that were not number one at the box office for the year but still did quite well overall in that period?"

They never said that. vOv. Which was my point.

I thought 2 was pretty fun, had a lot of backstory, even if they hosed up not having bebop and rocksteady, and replaced them with Tokka and Rahzar.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The second one is hilarious because nobody uses their weapons. Made even more absurd by the scene where Michelangelo uses sausage links exactly as you would use nunchucks but it's okay because it's made out of cured meat and not wood.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Realistically those turtles should be covered in peoples blood at the end of the fight

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

And their own! Turtle shells aren't some kind of inorganic rock that grows on the outside, there's still skin over it

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

And their own! Turtle shells aren't some kind of inorganic rock that grows on the outside, there's still skin over it

:kstare:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Going full sci-fi with Dimension X probably would break the budget.

It is fun how you can do pretty much literally anything with TMNT. They can fight ninjas, robots, aliens, dinosaurs, Dracula, superheroes, ghosts, other mutants, and any combination of the above.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Remember the Archie comics when Raph had an anthropomorphic fox ninja gf and it was only the third weirdest thing about the comic

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
FWIW, the principle that 90% of everything is crap is called 'Sturgeon's Law'. :science:

quote:

“All things—cars, books, cheeses, hairstyles, people and pins are, to the expert and discerning eye, crud, except for the acceptable tithe which we each happen to like.”

— From Theodore Sturgeon’s “On Hand: A Book” (published in Venture Science Fiction, September 1957, Vol. 1, No. 5, pp. 49–50)

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

flavor.flv posted:

lol yeah only... stupid people would think that... :shepface:

Imagined posted:

FWIW, the principle that 90% of everything is crap is called 'Sturgeon's Law'. :science:

90% of cheeses are loving amazing tho

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I would posit that pizza is an exception to Sturgeon's Law. Even the most garbage American public school lunch-tier frozen pizza is at least edible, which is better than "crud".

But still, it's a well known phenomenon that humans remember the hits and forget the misses. "Bands today aren't as good as Led Zeppelin", well yeah, but they're better than loving... Starland Vocal Band. Or Bread.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Aug 16, 2021

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

This also went the other way iirc-Ventura found out when Arnold did his morning workouts and would show up a few minutes before he did, covering his face and shirt in water so it looked like he'd been sweating there for hours. He then made sure to stay until Arnold was done so he could make him think not only was he going as hard but was putting in work before he even got there.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Guitar Man was a nice song, you go to hell!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mescal posted:

90% of cheeses are loving amazing tho

Not if you count by volume.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Going full sci-fi with Dimension X probably would break the budget.

It is fun how you can do pretty much literally anything with TMNT. They can fight ninjas, robots, aliens, dinosaurs, Dracula, superheroes, ghosts, other mutants, and any combination of the above.

At least they didn't try to bring in the giant floating cow's head that was also an interdimensional portal.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Whoolighams posted:

This also went the other way iirc-Ventura found out when Arnold did his morning workouts and would show up a few minutes before he did, covering his face and shirt in water so it looked like he'd been sweating there for hours. He then made sure to stay until Arnold was done so he could make him think not only was he going as hard but was putting in work before he even got there.

Ironically, big strong dudes are weak and pathetic.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Wish our bellies were that roomy.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Push El Burrito posted:

Wish our bellies were that roomy.

Lotta pizza can fit in there.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Randalor posted:

At least they didn't try to bring in the giant floating cow's head that was also an interdimensional portal.

Hell yeah, Cudley Cowlick (I think his mouth, specifically, was the interdimensional portal)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Philippe posted:

Remember the Archie comics when Raph had an anthropomorphic fox ninja gf and it was only the third weirdest thing about the comic

And they had a crossover with the Ghostbusters!

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I still don't understand how TMNT 3 wasn't about Krang and Dimension X.

That cartoon, that'd been around for 6 years at that point, had gone nuts in popularity, so everyone knew who and what Krang was.

Just.... just fuckin' make it about that stuff! :psyduck:

And to bring Casey Jones back as a babysitter.... :negative:

I have to assume it was about character rights? I think Krang and Dimension X were originally created for the cartoon, though they made their way into some of the comics, eventually. The first TMNT movie was primarily based on the early comics. Hence why Splinter is a mutated rat, and not a mutant formed from a human who had just touched a rat, like in the cartoon.

Something about the cartoon logic regarding mutants was that they were either:
1) The actual animal that becomes human-like
or
2) A human who becomes animal-like from the last animal it touched, or something?
Also see Bebob and Rocksteady, they were random gang members that Shredder recruited and turned into Rhino and Warthog mutants by covering them with the ooze after having them touch/interact with a Rhino and Warthog.

The first set of movies seemed to only have it be #1, if a human comes into contact with the ooze they just...uhh...get bigger? At least that's what we see with the Super Shredder (and it conveniently also mutates your clothes and arm blades for you.)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DrBouvenstein posted:

I have to assume it was about character rights?

Perhaps, Eastman and Laird weren't particularly fond of the animated TV show (which is apparently why the 2nd film didn't use Bebop and Rocksteady but created the new characters Tokka and Rahzar according to Peter Laird) so they no doubt wouldn't have been fond of the dumb cartoony Krang over their fairly serious Utroms but I'm pretty sure it was mostly a budgetary decision. The film was co-funded by Golden Harvest and they would have had a huge amount of period Japanese costumes & weapons and props available as well as an entire stable of stuntmen and actors so they would have saved a huge amount of money by setting the film in ancient Japan, and they obviously cut a lot of corners on the budget and every other aspect of the film. The original 1986 Time Scepter comic story was set in a generic barbarian fantasy world (with Cerebus the Aardvark!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Bebob and Rocksteady, they were random gang members that Shredder recruited and turned into Rhino and Warthog mutants by covering them with the ooze after having them touch/interact with a Rhino and Warthog.

I remember this scene from the cartoon, and it freaked me out even then. I know they technically volunteered, but then Shredder ties them down and quite literally ruins their lives. That's taking a cartoon about mutant turtles very seriously, sure, but even at 6 years old, while I didn't quite understand everything about consent and whatnot beyond "don't hit other kids", this felt like a huge violation. :stare: