Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Noahpinion/status/1427063224604581895

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The eYuan already exists and is in limited use, the question is when it goes fully public.

-----

That opinion piece is a bit of a mess especially the part in one paragraph he mentions how the Liberal Democratic party was started by Kishi and other war-time fascists but...

quote:

In other words, modern Japan is a prosperous stable liberal democracy not because of the magical transformative power of U.S. boots on the ground, but because of deep-rooted institutional, political, and cultural forces that were present before the war. The experience of conquering and losing an empire, and of fighting and losing WW2, deeply influenced Japan’s leadership and prompted them to choose the country’s modern course. But that’s not a transformation that the U.S. could have brought about if the country hadn’t had a leadership that both wanted this transformation and was capable of bringing it about.

I get his point that Japan was already an industrialized state before 1945, but if anything the "deep-rooted institutional, political, and cultural forces present before the war" are a pretty mixed bag all things considered. I know he wants to give Japan credit, but let's be honest, the US was happy to see a reliable one-party state in power and continually supported it.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 02:25 on Aug 16, 2021

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

brugroffil posted:

https://twitter.com/EsotericCD/status/1426809181433176064

e: china didn't crack 1B until three years after Mao died

It's a misquote but Mao did basically say that, per Kruschev's memoir, or at least something close to it.

quote:

“We shouldn’t be afraid of atomic missiles. No matter what kind of war breaks out, conventional or nuclear, we will win… If the imperialists unleash war on us, we may lose more than 300 million people. So what? War is war. The years will pass and we will get to work making more babies than ever before.”

Mao also famously called Kruschev a pussy for not nuking the US during the cuban missile crisis

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

https://twitter.com/jamesabernard/status/1427069150006968320

Christian, son, husband, dad, brother, friend.
Optimist. Technologist.
Change your thinking, change your life.
Not vaxed

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

quote:

I’m no foreign policy expert, but I have lived overseas (about 4 years in Japan).

Lol

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

As someone who has cranked it to thousands of hours of hentai I consider myself an East Asia policy expert.

State Department hmu on LinkedIn.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Rent-A-Cop posted:

As someone who has cranked it to thousands of hours of hentai I consider myself an East Asia policy expert.

State Department hmu on LinkedIn.

same

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

having watched every episode of legend of the galactic heroes, i consider myself a n expert on japanese politics

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Looking at Japan being the same hosed up hell hole as America...nah.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Dante80 posted:

https://twitter.com/jamesabernard/status/1427069150006968320

Christian, son, husband, dad, brother, friend.
Optimist. Technologist.
Change your thinking, change your life.
Not vaxed

humans have always lived as complete islands of isolation with no oversite at all. Then communism invented the village and everyone forgot about the free market

Grapplejack posted:

It's a misquote but Mao did basically say that, per Kruschev's memoir, or at least something close to it.

Mao also famously called Kruschev a pussy for not nuking the US during the cuban missile crisis

while it's very 'hardcore' i think they may have been ignorant or grossly playing down the repercussions of nuclear war other than direct destruction. They acting like they'd just come out the bunkers and be in a world just as it was only with less people.

Regarde Aduck has issued a correction as of 04:04 on Aug 16, 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Regarde Aduck posted:

humans have always lived as complete islands of isolation with no oversite at all. Then communism invented the village and everyone forgot about the free market

while it's very 'hardcore' i think they may have been ignorant or grossly playing down the repercussions of nuclear war other than direct destruction. They acting like they'd just come out the bunkers and be in a world just as it was only with less people.

mao should have hired you as an advisor

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Dollar hegemony is absolutely one of the dominoes in line to fall sooner than people think and I’m excited to witness first hand what happens when a frayed society has to absorb that psychic shock

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

having watched every episode of legend of the galactic heroes, i consider myself a n expert on japanese politics
the opinion haver has logged on

also i looked at the bad thread and lol

quote:

The taliban are just “religious assholes who banned big tits and fun.” Amazing. This is a dark, dark end of the Marxist rabbit hole
i'm at the club in kabul, going down the marxist rabbit hole with my homies

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
hey BrutalistMcDonalds, I remember you had a take before about how the pull-out from Afghanistan wasn't actually all that much of a draw-down because all of the official troops were getting replaced with PMCs.

with the events on the ground this week, do you still think that's true?

this is not, like, a call-out or an "I told you so" or anything like that, it's just that the video and pictures we've been seeing of the Taliban completely taking over the airport and people hanging on to cargo planes just to hitch a ride out paints a picture of a very comprehensive take-over of the country (or at least parts of it), so I'm kinda wondering if this is merely what the media is showing us even though Erik Prince's goons are still operating in-country

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

gradenko_2000 posted:

hey BrutalistMcDonalds, I remember you had a take before about how the pull-out from Afghanistan wasn't actually all that much of a draw-down because all of the official troops were getting replaced with PMCs.

this is not, like, a call-out or an "I told you so" or anything like that, it's just that the video and pictures we've been seeing of the Taliban completely taking over the airport and people hanging on to cargo planes just to hitch a ride out paints a picture of a very comprehensive take-over of the country (or at least parts of it), so I'm kinda wondering if this is merely what the media is showing us even though Erik Prince's goons are still operating in-country

id just like to add that im praying every single second of every day that all these mercs get ratfucked by the taliban

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

The US had 20 years to build a new Afghan state, and yet all they could make was a hopelessly corrupt kleptostate that everyone hates and nobody is willing to risk their life defending. If it had any meaningful support at all how could it collapse entirely in a few short weeks?

What do liberals suggest as an alternative? 20 more years of kicking the can down the road? So that countless more people can be killed only for the exact same thing to happen anyways?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Agrajag posted:

id just like to add that im praying every single second of every day that all these mercs get ratfucked by the taliban

It always cracks me up whenever I see the brave trupps whining about dying in a war they signed up for.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

Erik Prince is busy making crack pot Covid vaccine in Taiwan lol.

Also, the US was estimating the take over based on the South Vietnam timeline, but the Afghans are not stupid, the Nothern Alliance guys also looked into that timeline and must have negotiated their own handover themselves.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1426861228463427585

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/AndrewSolender/status/1427278219716202498

EDIT: Wrong thread but gently caress it

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Afghanistan is still probably going to be a proving ground for PMCs and JSOC.

It'd be wild to see PLA in country providing security for Chinese infrastructure projects. Close to 0 percent chance of this happening but just imagine the western Lib and Leftist crys of Chinese imperialism lmao.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Gorman Thomas posted:

It'd be wild to see PLA in country providing security for Chinese infrastructure projects. Close to 0 percent chance of this happening but just imagine the western Lib and Leftist crys of Chinese imperialism lmao.

whatever operator/pmc youre imagining that gets parachuted into afghanistan cant just simply walk into a friendly country to get out lmao

you need these things called an airfield

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1427246202966315013

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

The Wagner Group can probably do it over land

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Wait why are we cheering for notable cia front group the taliban

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i wonder how much of the hostility toward the american puppet state in afghanistan was influenced by the fact that chinas handing out railroads to their neighbors like candy but the afghanis werent allowed to have any because ewww chinese people are dirty and candys bad for you

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Gorman Thomas posted:

I love how when the Chinese government says they're absolutely not going to do a thing, brokebrain Americans reflexively read that as "definitely going to do it" because obviously that's what their own politicians would do.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Benagain posted:

I think it's more everyone lolling at the notable Cia front group the United States federal government

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Benagain posted:

we're not, just lolling at an a-tier humiliation for loser america

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Cerebral Bore posted:

we're not, just lolling at an a-tier humiliation for loser america

watching america lose again in such a spectacularly humiliating fashion is pretty fun

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah I haven't had this much fun seeing USA get owned since 1/6 chuds making all the politicians freak out on Twitter.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1427267130467119104

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

The taliban were not CIA related as far as I know

If you’re thinking of the Mujahadeen ,well, that was who Karzai’s family ran drugs abroad to fund, and Karzai is who the USA immediately placed into power

But I wouldn’t expect CSpammers to know any history lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Benagain posted:

wrong intelligence agency :milk:

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

All the original leadership of the Taliban had been part of the mujahideen but the group itself was formed after the government collapsed in 92 and all the different factions started fighting each other and robbing everything they could. The Pakistani intelligence service was very gung-ho about supporting the Taliban at first.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

HerraS posted:

The Pakistani intelligence service

Holy poo poo...PIS!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/georgesoros/status/1427244353714544644

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Jkylebass/status/1427245973110145032

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PeterCronau/status/1427165766042800129?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

maybe im just a tankie but the taliban making moves like this seems to suggest that the people so desperate to escape the country we keep hearing about may not have been innocent angels and this may have some bearing on why weve been dragging our feet on the whole refugee issue