Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What is it about falling asleep that makes people strongly deny having fallen asleep?

NO, I'm not ASLEEP I've just been SILENT with my HEAD at a WEIRD ANGLE and SNORING, like I ALWAYS DO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

What is it about falling asleep that makes people strongly deny having fallen asleep?

NO, I'm not ASLEEP I've just been SILENT with my HEAD at a WEIRD ANGLE and SNORING, like I ALWAYS DO

I’m the opposite, I’m a light enough sleeper that people think I’ve been pretending to be asleep because I’ll know what they were talking about in the next room over but no, your conversation just had me in that weird twilight state where I wasn’t conscious but still was relatively aware.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

I have definitely nodded off without really noticing before until someone called me on it. It was a big problem when my sleep apnea was undiagnosed some years ago.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Brawnfire posted:

Some people get so angrily defensive too, like falling asleep is a weakness :pwn:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

HOLY gently caress posted:

Some people get so angrily defensive too, like falling asleep is a weakness :pwn:

Exactly! Like, "hey, you were sleepin'! :D" "NO I WASN'T" "uh ok... you absolutely were" "I WASN'T SLEEPING, I'm not even tired, I was just looking at my phone, [poo poo where is my phone]"

It's 1 am, go to sleep, it's fine, nobody is gonna draw a dick on your face and call you a loser

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
In the same vein, people who deny snoring. You're always asleep when you do it, how would you know? I'm pretty sure I have ears.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
When people are telling a story and need to call out that they've changed all the proper nouns.

Back in high school I was working in the mall, at a store, lets call it New Coast Guard, and I had this coworker, lets call him Steve, and our manager, lets call him Jeff, used to date Steve's current girlfriend, lets call her Melissa. Now we had this frequent customer, lets call her Jaren, cause she wasnt quite a Karen ROFLMAO, and she used to come into the store only when our district manager, lets call her Emily,......

Just say 'I've changed the names' at the top of the story. Or don't even bother mentioning it. What are you even worrying about? That some guy named Steve who used to work at a mall is going to think you're talking about him and then Something Bad will happen?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

If I ever tell one of those stories I'm doing the opposite. Full names, addresses, and detailed descriptions of identifying marks for everyone.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That used to be like half of GBS superstar threads back in classic SA.

Here's my kuh-razzy stories about my best friend, who I'll call, uh, Eric, and my hot girlfriend, let's say she's Sarah, and all the shenanigans we get into with our other friends who I'll refer to as BJ, Charles, and Rachel.

Anyway what do you goonsires want to hear first?

1. STDH A
2. STDH B
3. STDH C
4. STDH D

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

May Contain Nuts posted:

When people are telling a story and need to call out that they've changed all the proper nouns.

Back in high school I was working in the mall, at a store, lets call it New Coast Guard, and I had this coworker, lets call him Steve, and our manager, lets call him Jeff, used to date Steve's current girlfriend, lets call her Melissa. Now we had this frequent customer, lets call her Jaren, cause she wasnt quite a Karen ROFLMAO, and she used to come into the store only when our district manager, lets call her Emily,......

Just say 'I've changed the names' at the top of the story. Or don't even bother mentioning it. What are you even worrying about? That some guy named Steve who used to work at a mall is going to think you're talking about him and then Something Bad will happen?

Doing it in a gossipy purple prose voice like you're a character on a soap opera because you think it sounds superior is, sadly, 75% of the reason people tell those stories.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

and i was wearing JNCOs and a wallet chain, which was the style at the time,

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

All the world conspires to awake a sleeping baby

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That used to be like half of GBS superstar threads back in classic SA.

Here's my kuh-razzy stories about my best friend, who I'll call, uh, Eric, and my hot girlfriend, let's say she's Sarah, and all the shenanigans we get into with our other friends who I'll refer to as BJ, Charles, and Rachel.

Anyway what do you goonsires want to hear first?

1. STDH A
2. STDH B
3. STDH C
4. STDH D

Ugh I hated this, and also when people would use smilies to indicate who was talking instead of names or descriptors like this:

:byodame: : *says something stupid/mean*

:c00lbert: : *says something smug and awesome that did 100% not happen and if it did OP probably wasn't even there*

FFT posted:

and i was wearing JNCOs and a wallet chain, which was the style at the time,

how many wallet-chain and JNCO-related accidents were there, do you think?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I imagine them all happening on seedy town fair rides

"My cousin degloved his dick wearing a chain on the tilt-a-whirl"

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

Ugh I hated this, and also when people would use smilies to indicate who was talking instead of names or descriptors like this:

:byodame: : *says something stupid/mean*

:c00lbert: : *says something smug and awesome that did 100% not happen and if it did OP probably wasn't even there*

And then halfway through the conversation either SA or my browser would run out of allowable smilies and the conversation will switch to a script where the characters are suddenly named banjo, byodood, and colbert.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

May Contain Nuts posted:

Even worse are the people (obviously generally limited to online,) who substitute letters.

"So L and C were at M's house, and G showed up, so L was made because G slept her C's SO, let's call them J. But everyone also slept with T, so who cares?"

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
G choked out C's SO? drat G!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

'But surely you don't -really- need that medication?' people.
gently caress off. I've gone from having 4-6 days of headaches and migraines a week to 0-2, it's notably improved my life for the better.

So gently caress off with your judgy, snap diagnosis you made within a minute of me mentioning it. Sounds like you could have a promising career as a doctor with your loving prodigious ability to diagnose someone you just met.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Brawnfire posted:

One denies it because you're not quite asleep and screw you for judging me that I'm napping. The real question is why do people care so much if someone else crashes out? If someone is down and out, just politely excuse yourself. Bring them a blanket and leave them alone.

Every time I fall asleep in my chair before bed, my wife has to tell me that I fell asleep like it's a bad thing. When she crashes out, I help her to bed without criticism. For some reason she always has to say "YOU'RE ASLEEP!" Who cares. It's 7pm, I'm allowed to sleep for a few minutes in my chair.

Yet if my kid is crashed out on the couch I'm not allowed to clear my throat. "QUIET! SHE'S SLEEPING!!!" She's fine. She's on the couch. If she wakes up, she can walk back to her bedroom.

None of this makes any sense. My dad does the same thing to people. I had a friend in college that did the same thing. If you fall asleep around my dad, he'll poke you until your awake just to tell you that you were asleep. He'll say, "Be quiet, so and so is sleeping" then he'll start up a table saw in the next room.

Just let people sleep if they're tired. Don't judge them if they snore. I assure you, you snore too.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

how many wallet-chain and JNCO-related accidents were there, do you think?
Lots, I assume, especially when crowd surfing was a big thing.

cryptocurrency has thoroughly hosed searching for/about wallet chains though

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
My pants zipper getting jammed in the down position such that there's no way to get ahold of the zipper pull and pull it back up without prying it out with something. Bonus points if it happens in a public restroom with no stalls and somebody walks in and is understandably confused about why I'm digging at my groin with a small screwdriver.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
History peeve: lionization of dudes like von Stauffenberg. The german upper class and military opposition to Hitler was entirely "he's losing the war." If July 20 goes off without a hitch and Hitler gets turned into red paste... The demands were Germany's 1914 borders plus Austria, the Sudetenland, the puppet state in Slovakia, the puppet "governments" of occupied Poland and Czechia, and a free hand to continue in the east. In the batshit scenario the western allies accept and the USSR somehow loses, the best-case scenario is Lebensraum comes from good ol' capitalist style "oops a famine" genocide instead of full-on Hitler genocide. And that's being generous to these people.

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
My new pet peeve is applications or websites with infinite scrolling or asynchronous content loading that scroll the view when content loads.

Apple News and Twitter are the worst at the moment, though SA itself has some issues occasionally. You scroll to something you want to read and then some other content loads somewhere and the page/app view scrolls whatever you were reading away in some random direction.

Who thought this was a good idea? Sure dynamically load content all you want but if I stopped scrolling the page/view somewhere it's because I want it stopped there and randomly scrolling it all over the place as content loads is incredibly annoying.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

For some reason my phone lock screen hates my left thumb

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

SubNat posted:

'But surely you don't -really- need that medication?' people.
gently caress off. I've gone from having 4-6 days of headaches and migraines a week to 0-2, it's notably improved my life for the better.

So gently caress off with your judgy, snap diagnosis you made within a minute of me mentioning it. Sounds like you could have a promising career as a doctor with your loving prodigious ability to diagnose someone you just met.

It happens always when explaining chronic pain, everyone has had a headache or back pain once so they think it’s not a big deal. “Putting yourself in the other’s shoes” is literal, they just put different shoes on and nothing else changes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People who insist on arguing in the face of overwhelming evidence.

Recent example: discussion of 1st edition D&D. I quoted a section directly from the book and someone told me I was wrong because they'd played it and knew it didn't work like that. I'm sorry, what? I have the book in front of me. This is literally what it says. There's no wiggle room here. I'm not saying your group played it that way. You probably had all kinds of house rules - everyone does - but the actual rule is right here in black and white.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Tiggum posted:

This is literally what it says. There's no wiggle room here.

"UMMMMM ACHSHULLY x is so statistically unlikely that it pretty much never happens in real life, you're more likely to be struck by lightning twice" when I'm talking about my actual life experiences that happened to me in real life. If I thought it was a normal thing that happened to everyone all the time there wouldn't be a reason for it to be part of the discussion, and you aren't going to convince me that my own life is fake news or whatever.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 15:47 on Aug 18, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't think that's quite what Tiggum is saying. They even specifically acknowledge that lived experiences differ. Their example is basically someone "um akshually"-ing about what the rules really say when the literal physical Dungeons and Dragons rulebook is right there and can be consulted.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
I know, just seemed related. The most recent example was when I received a (pretty minor) bite from a coyote and everyone came out of the woodwork with statistics to show me that it can't happen. It'd be one thing to just not believe me, but people act like it 100% cannot happen and it's impossible and that I imagined it all because MUH STATS.

Like, I could just look at the bite and see it, I knew it was there, but apparently it's not there because it's impossible.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 16:16 on Aug 18, 2021

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

cisneros posted:

It happens always when explaining chronic pain, everyone has had a headache or back pain once so they think it’s not a big deal. “Putting yourself in the other’s shoes” is literal, they just put different shoes on and nothing else changes.

People responding with how tired they get sometimes when you tell them you've got chronic fatigue syndrome. Takes everything I've got not to respond "Bitch, you have no idea."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sunswipe posted:

People responding with how tired they get sometimes when you tell them you've got chronic fatigue syndrome. Takes everything I've got not to respond "Bitch, you have no idea."
Nm

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When people call their car their baby or give it a name. I miss the bus and subway. My car is alright but it is at best, a necessary evil.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When people call their car their baby or give it a name. I miss the bus and subway. My car is alright but it is at best, a necessary evil.

This is true for cars however I will not apologize for doing this with my bicycle

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Dip Viscous posted:

I know, just seemed related. The most recent example was when I received a (pretty minor) bite from a coyote and everyone came out of the woodwork with statistics to show me that it can't happen. It'd be one thing to just not believe me, but people act like it 100% cannot happen and it's impossible and that I imagined it all because MUH STATS.

Like, I could just look at the bite and see it, I knew it was there, but apparently it's not there because it's impossible.

I think you should tell them to look at the news articles coming out of Vancouver BC. Numerous coyote bites have occurred in the last few months, both against children and adults.
(I can rustle up article links for you if you want, but they should be easy enough to google using terms like "stanley park coyote". the most recent was on the 16th)

Hope you got that bite cleaned and it doesn't get infected or anything.

edit; according to the one article,

quote:

Since December 2020, there have been at least 34 coyote attacks in Stanley Park.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/coyote-attack-vancouver-august-16-1.6144520

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Monica and I have been together for 161,584 miles and 13 years, I'm allowed to call her whatever I drat well please. She doesn't run right if you don't say good morning and thank her for all of her hard work.

I also named my couch Bernard. It's nice to name things.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I've tried naming my guitar three times since I was 16 and it just doesn't stick

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My bass, who I'll simply refer to as Alice for this story,

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

fizzymercury posted:

Monica and I have been together for 161,584 miles and 13 years, I'm allowed to call her whatever I drat well please. She doesn't run right if you don't say good morning and thank her for all of her hard work.

I also named my couch Bernard. It's nice to name things.

Jeez, at least by like my one buddy and name it a cute thing* instead of a boring rear end name

*HMCS Vinlandia for a poo poo corolla in his case

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Jeez, at least by like my one buddy and name it a cute thing* instead of a boring rear end name

*HMCS Vinlandia for a poo poo corolla in his case

Her full name is Princess Monica Bingaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Friends fan huh