Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That's the guy who claimed to have read up on all the debates that happened while writing the Texas constitution, but didn't know that "purity of the ballot box" meant "don't let black people vote".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

I don't know for sure that he saw me, but our neighbour across the road, who wouldn't usually give me the time of day, gave me a nod and a smile the day after.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Does a face mask do anything at all against hydrogen sulfide?

I’m pretty sure that calls for acid gas cartridges.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
That guy is exercising a stupid reflex but putting your covid mask on for H2S is like getting out a band aid for a sucking chest wound.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Wolfsbane posted:

Lol, throwback. The electricity guy still comes round to read our meter every year or so just to make sure that we're not lying on our DIY readings.

In the US a lot of electric companies switched to smart meters that send their readings live over radio waves (cell data????) and for years people would protest based on "rf sensitivity". Haven't thought of it in years and all those folks have moved on to the new pseudoscience thing.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
I don't know how many hydrogen sulfide fatalities there are per year in the US, but it's a lot.

When your brain is so broken you're upset at people being notified a cloud of deadly gas was released

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

wheatpuppy posted:

Would have been better if they balanced a cigarette at the edge of the bucket right where it would catch the flame.

Look again, that's not a bucket.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

waffle iron posted:

In the US a lot of electric companies switched to smart meters that send their readings live over radio waves (cell data????) and for years people would protest based on "rf sensitivity". Haven't thought of it in years and all those folks have moved on to the new pseudoscience thing.

I don't remember if it was the water or electricity meter, but my parents' city sent out a notice saying that you don't have to switch if you don't want to, but they will charge you extra to pay for someone to read your meter in person.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

waffle iron posted:

Used to be you could buy stick on mesh screens that you could put on your phone that they claimed would bounce the radio waves away from your head.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

waffle iron posted:

The true believers moved to Green Bank, West Virginia. It’s part of the national radio quiet zone and there are some massive radio telescopes there, so you’re pretty much SOL if you want wifi. Or a microwave. Or a gas powered car (spark plugs!) in some parts of the county.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-14887428

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Uncle Enzo posted:

I don't know how many hydrogen sulfide fatalities there are per year in the US, but it's a lot.

When your brain is so broken you're upset at people being notified a cloud of deadly gas was released

So many problems could be solved if every street had a bucket of cyanide with a note on it saying "President Biden and Doctor Fauci strongly advise you don't drink this."

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

waffle iron posted:

When they moved to smart meters we had the exact same RF conspiracists coming out of the woodwork and writing to the local press that they were getting migraines or morgellons or whatever. Then they all looked like idiots when the company revealed that the meters they were fitting actually sent the reading up the cable Ethernet-Over-Power style to the nearest substation and didn't use radio at all.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ReelBigLizard posted:

When they moved to smart meters we had the exact same RF conspiracists coming out of the woodwork and writing to the local press that they were getting migraines or morgellons or whatever. Then they all looked like idiots when the company revealed that the meters they were fitting actually sent the reading up the cable Ethernet-Over-Power style to the nearest substation and didn't use radio at all.

That’s sophistry because the cables are unshielded and act as antennæ, but it’s sophistry for a good cause.

They are poor antennæ at the frequencies used for meter communication, granted.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Evilreaver posted:

Well he appears to be all right now!!!

Because there's not much left :downsrim:

That strange guy
Dec 14, 2014

It's not strange if we never mention it again.

From Facebook person is very proud of their packing job.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

waffle iron posted:

Friend of mine was house shopping recently and ended up googling the current owner of a house he was looking at. He found a video of her court case vs the power company. Turns out she pulled her self-reporting meter and replaced it with a regular one. Power company got pissed, disconnected her service, and slapped her with a huge fine for tampering with the meter. She ended up buying a bunch of solar panels and batteries and stayed off grid.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

I guess that's about the best possible outcome from that specific delusion.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Computer viking posted:

I guess that's about the best possible outcome from that specific delusion.

Yeah, turns out having a bunch of money makes everything work out better for you, even being crazy.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

That strange guy posted:

Finally some stereo equipment that actually fell off the back of a truck.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Rad-daddio posted:

Timely reminder that lathes hunger for flesh

From the cradle to the lathe

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

That's part of their charm! :v:

The ones I flew in had a weird seat configuration: 2 seats on the left, one on the right. Never really had any excitement. Maybe I'm looking through rose-tinted glasses; they bring back pretty good memories for me.

Couple pages back, but I fly out to knowville TN at least once a year to see family and the American flights are all like this. That one row seat is the best.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

That strange guy posted:

For some reason, this screams:

"Play that funky music white boy"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this was posted on imgur with the consensus that the person opening the door is at fault for not paying more attention to her mirrors.

https://i.imgur.com/RPiTEOQ.mp4

i contend that the person driving the car that hit a stationary object is the one at fault but what do i know

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ReelBigLizard posted:

In many british houses the fuse box and meter is just inside the door, a throwback from when the electricity guy used to come around and read the meter manually for billing. I live in a rural area where there is basically no crime and people regularly leave front doors unlocked.

My neighbours went away for a few days and left their dickhead 17 year old son home alone. Of course he had a party. Had it been the weekend I honestly wouldn't have cared, I would have been out drinking, but it was still going at 2am on a Thursday. I banged on the door but they were all two floors up and the music was too loud for them to hear. So I opened the door and shouted, yelled up the stairs, still nothing. Sure enough there was the little cupboard by the door. I threw the switch and heard them swearing, stumbling drunk around the pitch dark house upstairs. I left.

They didn't get the hint though and started the music again, they must have known what happened because when I went around again the door was locked. However, the big sash window next to the door was closed but not actually latched so I hopped in, locked the window behind me, hit the breaker switch and then let myself out the front door and latched it. I think it freaked them out and I had no more problems. Not like he could call the police or tell his parents.

Do police in your neighbourhood not respond to noise complaint calls or something?

Because it seems to me you could have just called it in instead of literally breaking into your neighbour's house twice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

this was posted on imgur with the consensus that the person opening the door is at fault for not paying more attention to her mirrors.

i contend that the person driving the car that hit a stationary object is the one at fault but what do i know

How would the person have enough time to notice the door is opening and slow down.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
They're driving awfully far to the right. It looks like they drove over the parking spot's white markings. If so, I say it's 50-50.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 16, 2021

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

It's impossible to tell without seeing the whole and knowing the full details (did the black car change lanes, are there any obstructions in view, was the black car speeding, etc...).

Looking it up though, it seems to depend on the state, but the fact that the black car didnt take any evasive actions may mean that they will share fault

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Platystemon posted:

Does a face mask do anything at all against hydrogen sulfide?

I’m pretty sure that calls for acid gas cartridges.

You're right. N95 and P100 particle filters aren't going to do poo poo against H2S, because it's a 3 atom molecule. You need an acid gas cartridge to filter it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Also you'd have to see if they were driving too fast for that road

Still dumbshit to just open your door into traffic, "fault" or not

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Thankfully where I am, the law is clear - if you open your door into traffic you're to blame.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Thankfully where I am, the law is clear - if you open your door into traffic you're to blame.

Same here. In Ontario it's up to a $1000 fine and three demerit points, because it's such a huge problem that's hurt a lot of cyclists. Of course, whether the police enforce it is another matter, since they are notorious for not properly prosecuting motorists who hurt or kill cyclists/pedestrians.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"into traffic" isn't clear lol, this is why insurance companies go to arbitration to assign points of liability. it's like saying "pedestrians have the right of way 100% of time" in a bunch of states--its rarely treated as such (in especially in cases where a driver could not have reasonably avoided a collision)

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Same here. In Ontario it's up to a $1000 fine and three demerit points, because it's such a huge problem that's hurt a lot of cyclists. Of course, whether the police enforce it is another matter, since they are notorious for not properly prosecuting motorists who hurt or kill cyclists/pedestrians.

Just because it's illegal doesn't automatically assign 100% of the insurance liability onto that party, unless canada's strange santa court thinks differently than in the USA

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Going frame by frame it looks like the black car was on the right side of the lane but the car's door crossed over the threshold of the parking space painted there right before it got hit. It's hard to tell if the black car maintained it's lane but the silver car absolutely opened the door into the traffic lane to some degree. The shadows are going straight down and just slightly away from the camera, and the shadow of the door still crossed over the lane marker before the impact, so the door was over the threshold by at least a couple inches.

From the time the car door cracked open to impact was about one single second, it's really unlikely the black car could have done anything to prevent it. Reaction time alone is, on average .7 seconds with .8 seconds for response for a total of 1.5 seconds from an event to when the response to the event begins. This drops to something like .75 seconds if the event is anticipated. That .75 total time only happens if the person responding has the muscled memory to make correct responses without conscious thought, so that sure as hell doesn't apply here. There is very little chance any average driver could have responded to that before impact.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

In the UK from an insurer’s perspective that would be the parked car’s fault 100%, regardless of how fast the other car was going or whether they should have been on that part of the road or not.

Don’t open the door without checking there’s nothing coming!

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Even with the moving vehicle driving on the wrong side of the road?

But yeah, even if you're 100% not at fault but had a way to avoid an accident, may as well avoid the accident.

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 16, 2021

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Yeah, just because it shouldn’t have been there wouldn’t excuse not seeing it.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

theyre all on the wrong side in the uk tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Just to make sure I''m not missing anything:
- That's a huge US flag and the driver is on the left, so this looks like the US
- Given that the previous cars are driving on the left side of the road, in the US, this is a two-lane road with both lanes going the same direction
- The car that hit the door is in the right ("non-left") of the two lanes

I guess he's not exactly centered in his lane, but he's hardly "on the wrong side of the road", right?