Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The administration thought they had more time and the other alternative was basically:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1427309359734919177?s=19

So the administration could've hit the panic button a few weeks ago, but that likely immediately triggers the failure cascade and a similar rush for the airport and a Taliban surge. The administration gambled that the starving, decimated, bought off, and deeply compromised ANA could hold off a bit longer than they did if the Taliban did a big push.

I put fault on the Biden folks for slow-walking the Visa processes, which is going to turbofuck the interpreter/ally community. I don't blame them for not starting up emergency flights earlier. It's bad all-around, every higher up for the past 20 years deserves a kick in the dick, Biden's just holding the bad for the final dick kick and stopping future administrations from receiving future kicks

... until they gently caress up and invade somewhere stupid too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
The issues at stake are more state department things, and thats what got hollowed out.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Actually in weird way, the military oddly held itself together, at least ensuring Trump did use them for coup attempts.

Small consolation I know, but just something kicking around the back of my head.

If the thing stopping a coup is the military saying they’d rather not do a coup, you are in trouble.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

If the thing stopping a coup is the military saying they’d rather not do a coup, you are in trouble.

Isn’t that always what’s stopping a coup?

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

facialimpediment posted:

The administration thought they had more time and the other alternative was basically:

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1427309359734919177?s=19

So the administration could've hit the panic button a few weeks ago, but that likely immediately triggers the failure cascade and a similar rush for the airport and a Taliban surge. The administration gambled that the starving, decimated, bought off, and deeply compromised ANA could hold off a bit longer than they did if the Taliban did a big push.

I put fault on the Biden folks for slow-walking the Visa processes, which is going to turbofuck the interpreter/ally community. I don't blame them for not starting up emergency flights earlier. It's bad all-around, every higher up for the past 20 years deserves a kick in the dick, Biden's just holding the bad for the final dick kick and stopping future administrations from receiving future kicks

... until they gently caress up and invade somewhere stupid too

Adding on to the tweet, inviting the Taliban to Camp David for negotiations was a major warning signal to the Afghan government and military that we had no faith in them, that must have had a demoralizing effect. I'm not going to put all the blame on Trump for this, this is the fault of every president since Bush Jr, but that was a giant nail in the coffin.

This was always going to be a poo poo show even under the best conditions, still hard to watch though.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

hobbesmaster posted:

Not in the glorious kingdom of Saudi Arabia!

There is certainly enough blame to go around, and quite a lot should go to Trump and company, but ultimately the responsibility for how this played out is on Biden and Co. I still think it was the right move - the execution was just dogshit. Ultimate responsibility lies with the Bush admin, who were so high on their own supply that they decoded to stick around and enrich their cronies and affiliates rather than prioritizing national security and American Lives.

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 16, 2021

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

Nah. Lots of times coups aren’t feasible because the whole of civilian government would fight it through whatever means they could, civil service would balk, civilians would rise up, the military would in-fight to stop it, etc.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Biden's both a) been president for eight months and b) supported the Afghan war and occupation as-is every step of his powerful career from day 1. Before he was Obama's VP he was one of the most hawkish dems in the Senate. Of course he is responsible for how hosed up this pullout is, on every level. To the extent he's just inheriting a bad situation, he's inheriting it from himself. The guy is the American foreign policy consensus, personified, and is also the current president executing it.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
https://gcaptain.com/global-supply-chains-are-being-battered-by-fresh-covid-surges/

Ningbo also still has one of their terminals thats about 25% of its capacity closed. At this point, I would recommend doing your Christmas shopping now.

Hoping I get there and sit at anchor for 2 weeks so I can call it good and not work for the rest of the year.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

Nah. Lots of times coups aren’t feasible because the whole of civilian government would fight it through whatever means they could, civil service would balk, civilians would rise up, the military would in-fight to stop it, etc.

I should have been clearer in that I didn’t think the military was the only thing standing in the way, just their specific reaction.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

As Nero Danced posted:

Adding on to the tweet, inviting the Taliban to Camp David for negotiations was a major warning signal to the Afghan government and military that we had no faith in them, that must have had a demoralizing effect. I'm not going to put all the blame on Trump for this, this is the fault of every president since Bush Jr, but that was a giant nail in the coffin.

This was always going to be a poo poo show even under the best conditions, still hard to watch though.

My internal thought is that the sadly inevitable doesn't become any less sad when it actually happens.

Best Friends posted:

Biden's both a) been president for eight months and b) supported the Afghan war and occupation as-is every step of his powerful career from day 1. Before he was Obama's VP he was one of the most hawkish dems in the Senate. Of course he is responsible for how hosed up this pullout is, on every level. To the extent he's just inheriting a bad situation, he's inheriting it from himself. The guy is the American foreign policy consensus, personified, and is also the current president executing it.

I agree. Good on him for finally doing it and resisting the urge to counter-invade (except for the airport takeover), but he owns the clusterfuck.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

facialimpediment posted:

My internal thought is that the sadly inevitable doesn't become any less sad when it actually happens.

I agree. Good on him for finally doing it and resisting the urge to counter-invade (except for the airport takeover), but he owns the clusterfuck.

That's a very good way to put it that I was struggling to articulate, thank you.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

facialimpediment posted:

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Don’t forget as VP Biden was opposed to the surge. He went along with it because Obama wanted it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/world/14biden.html

not saying it’s not his problem. but he was a voice of dissent from way back

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 16, 2021

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
The responsibility was going to fall on someone at some point and I don’t think there’s a way you can get this right

But republicans would just ignore the troops in Afghanistan and cash defense bribes rather than deal with the optics of the inevitable.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Suicide Watch posted:

Don’t forget as VP Biden was opposed to the surge. He went along with it because Obama wanted it.

There's also an interesting callback to the Vietnam era when he wasn't in Congress for very long:

https://twitter.com/jameshohmann/status/1427071612348735491

But he also voted for war with Iraq! So he's not quite a member of The Blob, but he sure plays footsie with it. The administration deserves credit for having a plan for the immediate evacuation of the embassy (remarkably smooth, considering), but they have absolutely hosed the allies/interpreters plan, even with a hollowed-out State Department, and the airport fly-outs are Very Not Good. The urgency just wasn't there for the latter, which probably could've been handled with severely expedited paperwork and some secrecy, so now they're building a railroad on the fly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Suicide Watch posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/world/14biden.html

not saying it’s not his problem. but he was a voice of dissent from way back

Supposedly Biden also spoke against the Bin Laden raid. I remember reading those two pieces of information and thinking "oh I guess Obama picked Biden to just argue the contrary position for everything? Sounds like one of the better uses of a VP I guess"

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wonder how many planes departed Kabul in the last few weeks on one way flights using 1% of their cargo capacity to haul cabinet members and a few duffel bags full of cash.

This is the part I 100% blame the current administration for. We could've had tens of thousands of people out of there.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
In all the infinite multiverses there still isn't one in which the ANA doesn't fold like a lawn chair and this doesn't become a giant disaster. Like it was said, the minute we start talking mass evacs the government disintegrates and it becomes everyone for themselves. Anyone who had the wherewithal to fight a delaying action is long gone or long dead.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I don't see how anyone saw this going any different.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I honestly think that even if the taliban had been beaten, the afghan government would have collapsed within 5-10 years under its own incompetence. At best it exists on paper but in reality only in the main cities with tribal rulers de facto governing elsewhere. Most likely it would have splintered into warlords though.

PookBear fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Aug 16, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PookBear posted:

I honestly think that even if the taliban had been beaten, the afghan government would have collapsed within 5-10 years under its own incompetence.

Honestly I guess the Iraqi model would have qualified as “mostly successful” if applied to Afghanistan.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Best Friends posted:

It looks like military and executive leadership seemed to believe that the (former) Afghan government had some legitimacy and would stick around a while, to the point they seem completely blindsided. Or, everyone in leadership expected a delay of the pullout.

The gov collapsing immediately driven by surrenders and defections shows that the people who live there have some trust in the word of the Taliban, and no trust whatsoever in the collection of warlords we've thrown in with. There's no way to square mass surrenders to the Taliban with the conventional media picture here of the Taliban as psychos.

https://twitter.com/MalcolmNance/status/1427245320732282880?s=19

https://twitter.com/MalcolmNance/status/1427216524746559490?s=19
https://twitter.com/MalcolmNance/status/1427216526235652101?s=19

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Godholio posted:

This is the part I 100% blame the current administration for. We could've had tens of thousands of people out of there.

Yeah, I'm no expert but like others have said seems like a balance between hoping their government could keep it together and not announcing "you're doomed, to avoid your fate everyone who wants out head to Kabul" as why would anyone keep fighting at that point. I mean many of them didn't anyway but then Biden would be blamed for having zero faith and throwing their government under the bus at a time when on paper they still had control over large parts of the country.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/politicsinsider/status/1427301096138153984?s=21

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pretty good own tbh.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
That was a terrible speech.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

worstpersonyouknow.jpg

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

ABC News is asking "How did the government miss the rapid overthrow so badly?".

...is this the same government that missed the threat of a bunch of rednecks attempting to overrun the Capitol and overthrow our own government seven months ago?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Dang, it's almost like giving the pan-global panopticon spy state didn't provide any benefit to the people at all!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Dang, it's almost like giving the pan-global panopticon spy state didn't provide any benefit to the people at all!

Look its not our fault they're using some language other than English!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That was a terrible speech.

There was a fair bit of "well... they didn't fight!" gaslighting, along with "well... a lot of the interpreters didn't want to leave!" nonsense. Also a lot of conflating the decision (getting out) with the how to do it (the current clusterfuck). But some news is something I hadn't heard - looks like Ghani was feeding the administration a load of bullshit, making the admin think they had more time, while also pulling poo poo like this:

https://twitter.com/Rover829/status/1427354474159513608

The wires just noted that an inbound flight just came in, so hopefully the airfield gets people out to wrap this up soon and save a shitload of lives. Not holding my breath though.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

There was a fair bit of "well... they didn't fight!" gaslighting, along with "well... a lot of the interpreters didn't want to leave!" nonsense. Also a lot of conflating the decision (getting out) with the how to do it (the current clusterfuck). But some news is something I hadn't heard - looks like Ghani was feeding the administration a load of bullshit, making the admin think they had more time, while also pulling poo poo like this:

The wires just noted that an inbound flight just came in, so hopefully the airfield gets people out to wrap this up soon and save a shitload of lives. Not holding my breath though.

“When I hosted President Ghani and Chairman Abdullah, at the White House in June, and again when I spoke by phone to Ghani in July, we had very frank conversations. We talked about how Afghanistan should prepare to fight their civil wars after the US military departed, to clean up the corruption in government, so the government could function for the Afghan people,” Biden said.

He continued, “We talked extensively about the need for Afghan leaders to unite politically — they failed to do any of that. I also urged them to engage in diplomacy, to seek a political settlement with the Taliban. This advice was flatly refused. Mr. Ghani insisted that the Afghan forces would fight. And obviously he was wrong.”

I don't blame any rank-and-file ANA/ANP soldier for cutting a deal with the local commanders and going home

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nick Soapdish posted:

clean up the corruption in government, so the government could function for the Afghan people

imagine us telling anyone to do this with a straight face

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

That Works posted:

The one good thing about being under an international spotlight all the time is that our corruption usually gets brought out for everyone to see. Actually doing anything about it is another story, but it’s not like we can hide it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

So theoretically if you become aware that a president is just holding things together long enough to secure his own ticket out wouldn't the right move be to supply some burly assistants to stand in front of the door and remind him that he has some other obligations?

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

That Works posted:

There isn't an equal comparison between the two. We're far from perfect, but basically everyone in the afghan officer corps paid a bribe to get in.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

PookBear posted:

There isn't an equal comparison between the two. We're far from perfect, but basically everyone in the afghan officer corps paid a bribe to get in.

Is it really better to make policy decisions based on blood money from weapons manufacturers than it is to take blood money from heroin traffickers? The US is way less corrupt at the rank and file level, sure, but the sheer scale of US corruption is incomparable.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Fallom posted:

So theoretically if you become aware that a president is just holding things together long enough to secure his own ticket out wouldn't the right move be to supply some burly assistants to stand in front of the door and remind him that he has some other obligations?

How do you quickly disown thay situation though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grip it and rip it posted:

How do you quickly disown thay situation though?

Drop him off and leave him in a Taliban controlled area.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 17, 2021