Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Vox Nihili posted:

Mellow Corn is still just $9.99 (unless your local is gouging you) and does the job drat well if you're looking to slum it. 50% abv, aged a minimum of four dang years.

Get your corn on today.

🌽 🌽 🌽

Yeah Mellow Corn makes a semi-regular appearance in my liquor cabinet though it's $17 up here. Still decent compared to a lot of bottles at the price though. :hfive:

GD_American posted:

When I was waiting in line for the Blanton's release (which, man I forgot how much I loved that sweet taste), a guy said that Costco's store brand small-batch bourbon was 30 bucks a bottle and excellent.

Well....he was right on one count.

I picked up a bottle on a whim and it's not bad. I think that's the best I can say about it. Theres nothing off-putting about it, It's just very inoffensive and kinda basic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Vox Nihili posted:

Get your corn on today.

I need to get me more of that, honestly.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GD_American posted:

When I was waiting in line for the Blanton's release (which, man I forgot how much I loved that sweet taste), a guy said that Costco's store brand small-batch bourbon was 30 bucks a bottle and excellent.

Well....he was right on one count.

Looks like their bourbon is sourced from Barton, which is mostly known for making 1792 these days (as well as some other cheapo stuff). I have never been a fan of their distillate (at the risk of pissing more people off, I file Barton in the same cabinet as Dickel).

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Quiet Feet posted:

Yeah Mellow Corn makes a semi-regular appearance in my liquor cabinet though it's $17 up here. Still decent compared to a lot of bottles at the price though. :hfive:

Yep, I think it's somewhere north of $15 but less than $20 for me, but worth it compared to everything else at that price point. Makes a great highball.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Vox Nihili posted:

Looks like their bourbon is sourced from Barton, which is mostly known for making 1792 these days (as well as some other cheapo stuff). I have never been a fan of their distillate (at the risk of pissing more people off, I file Barton in the same cabinet as Dickel).

The new ones are sourced from Barton, the old ones were surprise - Dickel
Unless it specifically says Barton on the front label it is Dickel
Their Barton small batch is supposed to be only $20 for a liter though
I do want to try the BIB and single barrel versions they have coming out soon compared to 1792 bib and full proof (which I love the 2021 store picks for some odd reason)

It definitely shines better at higher ages and proof though
A large number of NDP limited releases are Barton distillate too - Sam Houston and Calumet, for example

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

field balm posted:

Picked up a bottle of laphroaig 10 for my first shot at islay. Honestly I thought I'd have more difficulty with it, the bandaid-y note I'm not sold on but I looooove the lingering charcoal finish. Enjoying it a lot!

Try Ardbeg 10 next, I get less of the medicinal note and more charcoal/ash.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Toebone posted:

That sounds great, thanks for the rec! I'll pick it up once I finish a couple of the bottles I've got now.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe
I took a flyer on a bottle of mellow corn, the wife and I liked it fine in old fashions. Next bottle I purchased was really off, had a moldy taste. Had to pour it down the drain.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Toebone posted:

Lagavulin is good, too. No specific type; it’s all good, but it’s a single malt Scotch which can drive up costs significantly depending on where you are buying.

Never had a bad dram of Laphroig, Lagavulin, OR Ardberg, but my fav is Laphroig Quarter-Cask.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

DerekSmartymans posted:

but my fav is Laphroig Quarter-Cask.

:hfive:

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

DerekSmartymans posted:

Never had a bad dram of Laphroig, Lagavulin, OR Ardberg, but my fav is Laphroig Quarter-Cask.

If you ever have a chance to find/try the 2017 cask strength quarter cask it's worth whatever premium a store that still has older cairdeas on the shelf upcharges
It beat out an Octomore in a blind I did last year that I think I posted about here

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I was just at a liquor store and they had Dickel Tabasco-barrel finished on clearance for $6. How bad could it be? (I did not decide to find out)

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
For $6 I’d get it for a dirty Santa gift.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Toebone posted:

I was just at a liquor store and they had Dickel Tabasco-barrel finished on clearance for $6. How bad could it be? (I did not decide to find out)

It's absolutely vile, get it as a gag gift for someone you hate.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

For those of you that like Laphroaig/Ardbeg/Lagavulin, if you get the chance, spring for a Longrow if you can find it.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

biglads posted:

For those of you that like Laphroaig/Ardbeg/Lagavulin, if you get the chance, spring for a Longrow if you can find it.

Second.

Also, Ledaig.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

spankmeister posted:

Second.

Also, Ledaig.

Longrow and Ledaig in my AnyList share with my Dad. Thanks for the tip!

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Popped my special occasion bottle tonight and just had to share it here
Man, newborns are even harder to care for than you'd ever expect

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Popped my special occasion bottle tonight and just had to share it here
Man, newborns are even harder to care for than you'd ever expect

I already had one and concur with the newborn statement!

How's the rye? Worth seeking out? (Not that PA is going to do me any favors there)

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Alarbus posted:

I already had one and concur with the newborn statement!

How's the rye? Worth seeking out? (Not that PA is going to do me any favors there)

Oh it's undoubtedly the best rye I've ever had. Puts THH, VWFRR, and Saz 18 to shame. It's also strangely nothing like the Knob Creek cask strength. The Beam nuttiness is almost mixed into a dusty turkey style funk, but all, puzzlingly, in a rye that isn't shy about it's proof

I paid MSRP ($300) when it released in 2016
Going rate now is $3-4k, of course

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Toebone posted:

We had a tasting at their distillery right after they came out with it and chuckled everytime the tour guide called it “Hot Dickel”. She was very much not into it.

As stated above, it’s repulsive.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Toebone posted:

Dickel is a land of contrasts. Before their new distiller, they were easily the worst of the worst and all of their “unique” bottlings were terrible whiskey with gimmicky flavors. I would drink heaven hill, R&R, Canadian Hunter, or any other trash tier whiskey over most of the Dickel lineup. Their “hot” Dickels are even worse. It’s the same (or worse) cheap rear end whiskey but with awful flavors added to it.

It’s kind of like bad hot sauce or salsa. There are some ridiculously hot sauces or salsa that are made with very hot but flavorful peppers. And then there are horrible flavorless sauces where they just add a bunch of capsaicin. They just taste like burnt rear end.

On the flip side, I’m a huge fan of their current direction and buy every bottle of BiB I can find. I have 5+ from each bottling and I’ve only cracked ones from the first bottling open a handful of times at special occasions.

Modern Dickel is a really good example of how with plenty of age and the right selection of barrels, any distillery could make good whiskey. I think Cat’s Eye makes this point even better with their Obtanium line but that’s even less available in most places. Their Light Whiskey is pure aged unwanted MGP cut with nothing and it is buttery smooth.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I’ve always like Dickel better than Jack though.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Look Sir Droids posted:

I’ve always like Dickel better than Jack though.

I was born and raised near Memphis, and I can’t stand Jack Daniels.

I love the distillery, the town, and the happy people who make the tour(s) fun. Everything is good except the flagship product, and I’m a much bigger fan of Bourbon anyway.
:pram:

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The tour is incredible. Skip the tasting.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

GD_American posted:

The tour is incredible. Skip the tasting.

I know this is Cigar Posting, but a lot of folks smoke & drink Whiskey together, and it’s Whiskey-adjacent. In 2009 my Papa John (RIP), my Dad and I stopped by the CAO offices just to see the warehouse. They gave us 3 hardhats & safety goggles and turned us lose. The entire company was chill as gently caress and everyone was fawning over my PJ because he was a crusty 90 year old WWII paratrooper that was shot six times and allowed his squad to set up a tactical retreat during a localized counterattack and saved 12 men (he got a Silver Star). Everyone told us what they were working on, and gushed about the new as-yet unannounced blends products and sent us home with like 16 cigars apiece. Before we left we smoked one and the employees all smoked and it was 12:30 PM lunchtime so they broke out some Whiskey, some Whisky, and some top-shelf Tequilas for an impromptu tasting. I couldn’t believe how good an Agave went so well with a CAO Brazilian, but the Jameson and Glenfarcas and bourbons did, too. I had been in the nervous hospital for a couple of months after attempting suicide and Papa John was in a wheelchair after not being physically able to do a lot of rehab after a hip replacement surgery, so it’s one of the best memories of my grandad and dad together with me. I’ll never forget PJ trying to pronounce “Caol Ila.”

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

DerekSmartymans posted:

I know this is Cigar Posting, but a lot of folks smoke & drink Whiskey together, and it’s Whiskey-adjacent. In 2009 my Papa John (RIP), my Dad and I stopped by the CAO offices just to see the warehouse. They gave us 3 hardhats & safety goggles and turned us lose. The entire company was chill as gently caress and everyone was fawning over my PJ because he was a crusty 90 year old WWII paratrooper that was shot six times and allowed his squad to set up a tactical retreat during a localized counterattack and saved 12 men (he got a Silver Star). Everyone told us what they were working on, and gushed about the new as-yet unannounced blends products and sent us home with like 16 cigars apiece. Before we left we smoked one and the employees all smoked and it was 12:30 PM lunchtime so they broke out some Whiskey, some Whisky, and some top-shelf Tequilas for an impromptu tasting. I couldn’t believe how good an Agave went so well with a CAO Brazilian, but the Jameson and Glenfarcas and bourbons did, too. I had been in the nervous hospital for a couple of months after attempting suicide and Papa John was in a wheelchair after not being physically able to do a lot of rehab after a hip replacement surgery, so it’s one of the best memories of my grandad and dad together with me. I’ll never forget PJ trying to pronounce “Caol Ila.”

That's a great story, thanks for sharing :3:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

field balm posted:

That's a great story, thanks for sharing :3:

Appreciate it. PJ’s wife of 72 years has lived with me for 8 years now. She’s 98 in November and in the throes of Dementia. She sits outside with me in the evening after supper because she likes the likes my pipe tobacco (usually an aromatic cherry) and my Glenmorangie with ice and a bit of soda water, just like PJ.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
The George Dickel Tabasco Finish is really good for cooking, awful for drinking.

It’s my secret ingredient for my red sauces, ssssh.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
... honestly I might pick up a bottle if I see one just because I totally have stuff I'd use it in.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Odd Mutant posted:

The George Dickel Tabasco Finish is really good for cooking, awful for drinking.

Seems like it would be good in a tomato/molasses based BBQ sauce.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I grabbed the last bottle of Quinta Ruban 12 that I could find in the area so that I could compare it to the 14. I’d previously decided that I could go without, but my curiosity and lack of faith in my memory of the original 12 got the better of me!

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I went on a road trip to see my sister and despite stopping at at least two dozen liquor stores over the week both ways found almost nothing allocated or even slightly rare. I drove through Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, and North Carolina. The only things I found were a few bottles of Willett Family Reserve at retail and some interesting barrel picks. Only a single store had anything from Buffalo Trace.

This was a big contrast to a few months ago when I moved and took a very similar route and had quite the haul. I may have just gotten spectacularly unlucky but it definitely felt like a general drought of anything rare or even highly regarded. Most places I went were sold out of almost everything High West, Heaven’s Door, and Russel’s as well. Numerous stores had very empty shelves and the owners complained about barely be able to get any bourbon in regularly.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’m drinking ECBP B519 for $16 a pour and it is delightful.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Josh Lyman posted:

I’m drinking ECBP B519 for $16 a pour and it is delightful.

It’s definitely the best of the ECBPs. I haven’t liked any of the 20 or 21s as much.

I still haven’t gotten to try the toasted barrel. Everywhere is sold out instantly.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
So I'm nearing the end of my bottle of Henry McKenna 10 year old single barrel bottled in bond that I bought a couple years ago for $35, and realized that it's selling for like $90 now lol, so I'm not doing that again. It was really good, but not $90 good, what the actual gently caress.

ANYWAY, I need to find a bourbon to replace it. I know single barrels are pretty variable so that probably doesn't help much, I don't care specifically about bonded/age #/single barrel per se, but I do want something that's a good sipper for the money. I have some Woodford Reserve sitting around that's fine for mixing with things but doesn't quite do it neat or on the rocks for reasons I'm bad at pinning down.

Basically any random suggestions under $50 are fine! :v:

e: The only bourbon I remember really NOT liking outright was Four Roses Small Batch for some reason, which apparently makes me weird. :saddowns:

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 16, 2021

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

sean10mm posted:

So I'm nearing the end of my bottle of Henry McKenna 10 year old single barrel bottled in bond that I bought a couple years ago for $35, and realized that it's selling for like $90 now lol, so I'm not doing that again. It was really good, but not $90 good, what the actual gently caress.

ANYWAY, I need to find a bourbon to replace it. I know single barrels are pretty variable so that probably doesn't help much, I don't care specifically about bonded/age #/single barrel per se, but I do want something that's a good sipper for the money. I have some Woodford Reserve sitting around that's fine for mixing with things but doesn't quite do it neat or on the rocks for reasons I'm bad at pinning down.

e: The only bourbon I remember really NOT liking outright was Four Roses Small Batch for some reason, which apparently makes me weird. :saddowns:

Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve, the 120 proof one, is the bottle for you.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Anonymous Robot posted:

Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve, the 120 proof one, is the bottle for you.

Not gonna lie, the 120 proof is kind of :stare: to me, think 100 is the hottest I've ever gone for.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Elijah Craig of some variety? It's also heaven hill and wasn't on literally every best value bourbon YouTube video a year or two ago. That and they dumped the age statement on the product formerly known ac EC12 years back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Where are you seeing McKenna for $90? I've never seen it more than $60 and know plenty of places that get it in at $45-50 at least as often as ECBP comes in
Plus ECBP is older, higher proof, and readily available at $60-70
But like the others said, knob creek (either the small batch or the single barrel) are a good substitute
Also perhaps try Ezra Brooks 99 or Evan Williams BIB as a budget option