Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Typo posted:

the former Kabul government btw, was brutal towards the taliban remnants when they were winning in the early 2000s

peace offers got responded to with brutal torture of Taliban members etc

there's a lot of bad blood between the old Kabul regime and the new one. History suggests a brutal purge of the previous political order is upcoming. But the core of the old political order was always a very small % of overall population. Actual number of brutal executions might actually be relative low.

yeah you are right there will be at least some amount of retribution demanded by rank and file Taliban but mass purging seems unlikely based on current behaviour

there's always some executions though. someone has to pay the price for perceived crimes against the faction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Mooseontheloose posted:

I have had a lot of raised eyebrows at the American media during this whole fiasco. They seem to want to fit a narrative here of Biden being responsible for the failures of Afghanistan OR that he will bare the consequences of it. And, I just don't see it fitting. I think the speed of the decline obviously caught them off guard but the fact the Taliban is at least showing that they aren't going to mess with Americans as they leave shows me there is SOME diplomatic measures going on between the two parties. I get that bothsides is the standard function of American media but it feels they are trying to force this to be an issue that Joe Biden is responsible for as President.

Obviously Biden is trying to cut off the bad press by addressing the nation today and hopefully that will close the book on narratives about "his failure" but I just find the coverage of this, bizarrely out of synch.

Note: this doesn't mean that Biden didn't fail to protect Afghani's who supported the United States but that isn't what the narrative feels like.

Yeah if he comes out this afternoon and says something along the lines of "this was never going to be easy, but we still failed those who put themselves at risk to help us. This happened faster than any of us thought and we will do everything we can to get everyone out that wants out, but make no mistake this had to happen and was never going to be clean and tidy"

and I think most Americans will shrug and say, yeah I'm okay with that.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
There's no way to protect the Afghans that helped us. What we should do is give them asylum but half the country goes insane if we let a few thousand asylum seekers in, the country would burn down if we did what we should and let hundreds of thousands or millions of people from countries we destroyed emigrate.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Typo posted:

Actually I think most of the ones who did it probably just wanted to get paid and feed their families in a country without much of an economy and the vast majority are in poverty, not out of some higher political idealism

these are the ones I'm not sure about vis a vis Taliban punishment. Because, again, if they are being realistic, they understand this too, and it's not like these people flipped before Taliban was pushed out and US was only option in area.

Could go either way. If this was ISIS city would be running red with blood by now but Taliban are much harder to quantify

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Fuligin posted:

alternatively you're desperate and need money, the way workers take dangerous jobs all over the world

a lot of the hapless stoned-out weirdos stocking the afghani army were a collection of failsons who had, for various reasons, been banished out of their tribal enclaves

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

these are the ones I'm not sure about vis a vis Taliban punishment. Because, again, if they are being realistic, they understand this too, and it's not like these people flipped before Taliban was pushed out and US was only option in area.

Could go either way. If this was ISIS city would be running red with blood by now but Taliban are much harder to quantify

Again, maybe i am being naive, but there is clearly SOME sort of agreement going on about this stuff between the Taliban and the US. Because while we know we joke about the Taliban winning, they don't really want to encourage the US military to gently caress around with them again. Part of the reason this push is happening was because the decreased US presence. They aren't stupid, they want to exist and it makes me think there is an agreement somewhere saying, don't do X, Y, and Z and we can in a few months get to normal diplomatic relations and unfreeze bank accounts.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

They may have ordered their soldiers to be restrained but it's local commanders in the field and the tribal leaders that controll them.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/TOLOnews/status/1427160940177461249?s=20

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What's going on in that second video?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Residency Evil posted:

What's going on in that second video?

People are trying to force their way onto a passenger jet bound for Istanbul.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

Again, maybe i am being naive, but there is clearly SOME sort of agreement going on about this stuff between the Taliban and the US. Because while we know we joke about the Taliban winning, they don't really want to encourage the US military to gently caress around with them again. Part of the reason this push is happening was because the decreased US presence. They aren't stupid, they want to exist and it makes me think there is an agreement somewhere saying, don't do X, Y, and Z and we can in a few months get to normal diplomatic relations and unfreeze bank accounts.

it comes down to how much central control Taliban leaders actually have over their commands, or if local animosity will win out. But, maybe I'm naive too, because I agree. So far, feels like they are going to go with the velvet glove rather than the iron fist.

or perhaps some rougher fabric.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
How is the US commentariat reacting to this?

Maybe I just read too much twitter but here in the UK the newspaper column writer blue tick brigade, the worst people in the world, are reacting by blaming Jeremy Corbyn and the left, and also that they are so macho that if they were in charge THEY'D send American soldiers to pointless deaths on Afghan hilltops for another 20 years at least.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Bill Kristol is having a real one on Twitter. Neo-cons gonna bro-con.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

mediadave posted:

How is the US commentariat reacting to this?

Maybe I just read too much twitter but here in the UK the newspaper column writer blue tick brigade, the worst people in the world, are reacting by blaming Jeremy Corbyn and the left, and also that they are so macho that if they were in charge THEY'D send American soldiers to pointless deaths on Afghan hilltops for another 20 years at least.

Based on my review of CNN, NBC and the NY Times, the US media is letting some of their commentators go hog wild about what a failure and tragedy this is (which seems like the best thing you can do for ratings), with an occasional piece getting into a deeper dive and admitting that Biden inherited a poo poo sandwich and is only one member of a chain of failure involving 20 years of missteps on the part of both parties.

I'm not sure how long they'll harp on it. It'll depend on how well Biden's upcoming speech goes, I suppose.

And one can hope that the scenes at Kabul Airport don't keep giving nightmare fuel, but I don't think the world's that kind.

EDIT: this has been an eye-opener for me on how many journalists with the supposedly liberal prestige publications (like the New Yorker) seem completely captured by NGOs and think tanks.

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Aug 16, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What a loving disaster. Twenty years!

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
Yeah this isn't going to cost Biden and the Democrats in general a single vote.

Nobody cares, between the pandemic, the ongoing and accelerating climate crisis, and America falling apart socially and literally with infrastructure problems nobody has the metal room to care about even one more thing.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Magugu posted:

Honestly, talking helps. These last few days I've had a rush of emotions coming back.

Thats gotta be immensely frustrating that multiple people know how crappy the situation is, yet the political will to fix it isnt there so everyone just plays the part anyway since it pays the bills. Thanks for sharing your story man.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Numlock posted:

Nobody cares, between the pandemic, the ongoing and accelerating climate crisis, and America falling apart socially and literally with infrastructure problems nobody has the metal room to care about even one more thing.

you have to be almost 40 years old to not have spent the majority of your life with the afghanistan war ongoing

anybody born after 1982 was a child when the war began

we are so loving done that i somewhat agree with that this is not likely to hurt biden

everybody was mentally checked out outside of a handful of colicky neoconservatives watching the sum total of their ideological Moment drift away like a sad fart

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
MAGA hats have made it to Afghanistan

https://twitter.com/CollinFisher/status/1427341260390469632?s=20

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Numlock posted:

Yeah, it's gonna be the same thing when Taiwan and Ukraine fall.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Numlock posted:

I really dunno man. Before today I would've agreed but the airport was/is a loving horrorshow. Dunno if this tanks Biden, probably not, but this is bad. worst thing in a long time, and more viscerally understandable than an abstract thing liken 750k dead from Covid.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Numlock posted:

I agree with this for the most part, but I really hate that, because this should hurt Biden.

This hosed up excuse of a evacuation and people FALLING TO THEIR DEATH trying to cling to evac planes is hosed up beyond measure. Biden said not a month ago something along the lines of, 'Nah Afghanistan isn't going to fall in a week you crazy', and his National Security Advisor's defense of what happened with the haphazard evacs was 'No biggie we use choppers all the time'.

Let me repeat, people are so desperate they try to hang onto moving planes and are plummeting to their deaths.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

I really dunno man. Before today I would've agreed but the airport was/is a loving horrorshow. Dunno if this tanks Biden, probably not, but this is bad. worst thing in a long time, and more viscerally understandable than an abstract thing liken 750k dead from Covid.

If I had to guess I would say that ultimately it will bring his popularity up. Americans haven't wanted to be in Afghanistan for ages. The public at large will shake their heads about the exit, but it won't stick in peoples' minds.

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001

LostRook posted:

Does the prospect of either of those two happening excite you?

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Staluigi posted:

you have to be almost 40 years old to not have spent the majority of your life with the afghanistan war ongoing

anybody born after 1982 was a child when the war began

we are so loving done that i somewhat agree with that this is not likely to hurt biden

everybody was mentally checked out outside of a handful of colicky neoconservatives watching the sum total of their ideological Moment drift away like a sad fart

That's me! Born 1982 and watched the towers fall on a dorm cafeteria tv my first semester at university. Whole world seemegly went nuts.

My entire adult life we've been in Afghanistan, seeing us leave is only remarkable because it's like, wtf we can do that? Maybe tomorrow the moon will implode, who knows.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

LostRook posted:

Taiwan contains TSMC, which does better than half of global semiconductor production. I really can't imagine a scenario where they're invaded and the world doesn't go to Hell in the ensuing war.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
China is already starting to take Afghanistan and how America treated their collaborators and work it into their propaganda:-

https://twitter.com/globaltimesnews/status/1427267130467119104?s=21

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

How are u posted:

If I had to guess I would say that ultimately it will bring his popularity up. Americans haven't wanted to be in Afghanistan for ages. The public at large will shake their heads about the exit, but it won't stick in peoples' minds.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the underlying feelings about the people of Afghanistan amongst Dems and Republicans will overall be they are brown foreigners so who cares. Can't see and care about what awaits them if we aren't there, problem solved.

e: That's not to say we should have stayed. It's more the immediate impact our haphazard exit strategy will have.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

How are u posted:

He did what he had to do which was lay low and stay radio silent. Honestly, having a press conference seems like the worst thing he could do right now.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

This will hurt Biden, but him losing depends on his opponent. If it's Trump again it could be what tips it over, depending on what else happens. But people do still have terrible memory even for things that happen in the US, nevermind outside of it, so no guarantee this puts the nail in the coffin. If it's any other GOP candidate I don't think it will be enough, they're too tied to Trump and if they don't use him they'll probably sink themselves regardless of Biden's gaffs.

The US is going to be more isolationist for the time being; too many problems at home, a lot of damage to alliances, and now a multi-decade record from both parties of being really bad at handling foreign campaigns. If I was Taiwan or Ukraine I would be planning to not have US support. Unless Russia or China screw up like Japan did and attack the US as part of their attack on those countries, I seriously doubt the US will try to save them.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Al-Saqr posted:

China is already starting to take Afghanistan and how America treated their collaborators and work it into their propaganda:-

If anybody thinks they're gonna be treated better by "genocide is cool and good, actually" China, well...

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

LostRook posted:

He did what he had to do which was lay low and stay radio silent. Honestly, having a press conference seems like the worst thing he could do right now.

this is to control the media narrative to make sure it doesn't roll into coward Biden let Afghanistan fall and why didn't he save everyone.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

LostRook posted:

Nah, with his people doing such a lovely job defending what's happening and the videos coming out, the administration is looking bad. He needs to get in front of this and explain why it's in fact a good thing people are falling to their deaths from planes.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
America just simply made the Taliban stronger and more popular over the past twenty years.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Al-Saqr posted:

i feel like thats whole other ball game of geopolitical horror show if china decides to basically invade and kill the poo poo out of taiwan. i think china will probbaly just keep trying to isolate taiwan and render them more politically unimportant. also i dont think Xi trying to turn chinas one party into a cult of personality will have much long term stability in that form. i guess we will see.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Nah, with his people doing such a lovely job defending what's happening and the videos coming out, the administration is looking bad. He needs to get in front of this and explain why it's in fact a good thing people are falling to their deaths from planes.

yeah. some of them are saying the right things. "we did the right thing leaving and was always gonna be a horror show like this BUT we didnt know the taliban would "blitzkrieg" the country". the issue is a mix of the videos(some poor afgani dudes dying because they thought they could do uncharted 3 stunts out of the country out of pure desperation doesnt help your case) but also just that the media/pundint class is mad that they were wrong about how this would end and feel lied too(true and false).

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

punk rebel ecks posted:

America just simply made the Taliban stronger and more popular over the past twenty years.

https://asiafoundation.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/2019_Afghan_Survey_Full-Report.pdf

quote:

This year, the proportion of respondents who have a lot or a little sympathy with the Taliban is 13.4%, similar to 2018 (15.9%). Respondents who say they have no sympathy with the Taliban have increased almost 3 percentage points, to 85.1%, since 2018 (82.4%). Urban respondents (88.6%) are more inclined than rural respondents (83.9%) to claim to have no sympathy at all. Respondents from Zabul (56.1%) and Uruzgan (50.5%) express the highest levels of sympathy with the Taliban. Despite being the highest, however, sympathy for the Taliban among Zabul respondents is still 20 percentage points lower than the 2018 level of 65.9%.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Taper is saying that Biden ignored warnings this was going to happen this quickly and its his fault for not listening to the intelligence and that the videos coming out are worse than the images than Saigon.

So, take that for what you will.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Taper is saying that Biden ignored warnings this was going to happen this quickly and its his fault for not listening to the intelligence and that the videos coming out are worse than the images than Saigon.

How important and/or respected is Tapper? I don't watch CNN regularly.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Mooseontheloose posted:

I have seen reporters from various orgs. say that the USG as a whole can't seriously tell people they didn't know this could happen as they were talking to plenty of people who said they were indeed warning the government about this for the past few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Good news is Taliban are apparently more interested in governing than killing for no reason. Bad news is they get really upset if you don’t show up for work. On the whole though, I see it as far better than indiscriminate slaughter.

From the NY Times:
A Week Into Taliban Rule, One City’s Glimpse of What the Future May Hold

quote:

The civil servants who could fix those problems were hiding at home, terrified of the Taliban. So the insurgent-commander-turned-mayor summoned some to his new office, to persuade them to return to work.

“I said that our jihad is not with the municipality, our jihad is against the occupiers and those who defend the occupiers,” Mr. Elias told The New York Times by telephone.

But day by day, as municipal offices stayed mostly empty, Mr. Elias grew more frustrated — and his rhetoric grew harsher.

Taliban fighters began going door to door, searching for absentee city workers. Hundreds of armed men set up checkpoints across the city. At the entrance to the regional hospital, a new notice appeared on the wall: Employees must return to work or face punishment from the Taliban.

nelson fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 16, 2021