Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

U-DO Burger posted:

gassing the old thread was a mistake, now it has that awful green background when i look at old posts

but we can finally read the mad jackal posts the way they were meant to be read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

DEATH FOR THE COVID GOD

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

meet girls at the store posted:

My office Open Bidened at 8:00 this morning with a celebratory staff breakfast. It’s now 11:39, somebody has tested positive, and they’re scrambling to do contact tracing for the breakfast party. Life comes at you fast.
lmao

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

posting through the collapse of the US ftw

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Differentiating between good and bad bagels is the stupidest thing. Literally arguing over which slice of bread is the best. Or which variant is more fun.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1427342828921769998?s=19

we regret to inform you max titers is a zionist

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
GROUND FLOOR BINCHES

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

OP:
adult masks
kids masks
booster info
spreadsheet
coldrice gifs
the shaming of the jackal

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

someone should really put the respirator and mask buying guides and links in the OP for real tho since like every time a new person pops in thats the first thing that usually gets asked. Also the covid data spreadsheet link. - this one https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12Ss6gA8ULL-2gxh4tWy12gFjTB078ba2KuxeqI9yz70/edit#gid=0

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

we don't post trump here. this is when we post "open Biden"

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

we know

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Teacher friend who started classes last week has their first coworker death over the weekend.

Didn't even make it one full week in.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

The Saucer Hovers posted:

OP:
adult masks
kids masks
booster info
spreadsheet
coldrice gifs
the shaming of the jackal

pics of selected booster names

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1427256227860553731?s=21

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
For the OP:

=======================

What we know so far (16 August 2021)

Covid is airborne and spread through respiratory exhalations. The Delta variant has been proven to be able to be transmitted outdoors in less than a second's contact.

[data, words & details]

Unmasked, aersolized (>4um) droplets take about 12 feet to hit the ground if they aren't suspended in the air.

[source---from the study that gave us "6 feet for social distancing" from like the 1960s or whatever]

Surgical masks are about 40% effective at blocking exhaled aerosols. Well-fit N95s, 95%. Well-fit respirators, 100%.

[maybe a link to youtubes?]

Some coverings like bandanas may actively worsen exhalations (decrease droplet size) while filtering nothing

[maybe a link to youtubes?]

Vaccinated people can catch the virus. They have a lower chance of catching the virus, but once it is caught, while the chance of severe symptoms is decreased, the CFR is the same as unvaccinated.

[source]

Vaccinated people are as contagious as unvaccinated people whether symptomatic or asymptomatic.

[source, details]

Children can catch the virus as easily as adults. The apparent lower infection rates last year were due to lack of testing of children + reduction in typical means of social contact

[source, details]

Children are as contagious as adults.

[source, details]

Long Covid is a real and concerning consequence of this disease. It especially attacks the heart, brain, and reproductive organs.

[source, details]

Children are significantly more prone to Long Covid than adults

[source, details]

=======================

What am I missing? What do I have wrong or in accurately stated?

Sunny Side Up fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 16, 2021

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

COVID is over. Please include this in the OP.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

also add youtuber Aaron Collins to one of the op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A88AGnN-nwI

Here's all the masks he tests and sources on where to buy

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1i06OAItoOwIUaMjElr8mhh0Rw-it6WL-ODIQMZUOQxE/htmlview

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Jaxyon posted:

Teacher friend who started classes last week has their first coworker death over the weekend.

lmao jesus christ

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
New thread means new possibilities, what's going to happen next?!?

Oh right the child deaths and people screaming "how could we have known?!"

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Jaxyon posted:

jesus did they get sick just in the last week too?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

I wish I had one of those Death Note books from the hit anime series

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
im posting here now

it's not aplaceholder any more

now that im here

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
The old thread gave me anxiety.

The new thread will bring me peace and prosperity.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jon Irenicus posted:

we don't post trump here. this is when we post "open Biden"

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

gotta get a strong lead on teh posting totals from the start, glad I could be here for this

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

I would like to remind everyone that children do not get covid.

quoting for the OP

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Sunny Side Up posted:

For the OP:

=======================
=======================

What am I missing? What do I have wrong or in accurately stated?

just link the leaked CDC slide deck, it's everything and more to show the dangers from both the virus and the administration: https://www.washingtonpost.com/context/cdc-breakthrough-infections/94390e3a-5e45-44a5-ac40-2744e4e25f2e/

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Saucer Hovers posted:

the OP primarily needs to be clean, direct answers to the same half dozen (good and right) questions that are asked every page

COVID-19 Resources

Vaccines

Vaccine Spotter - find vaccines near you

NYT Covid-19 Vaccine Tracker - breakdown of every vaccine in development with explanations of how they work/how well they work

PPE

Digikey - Respirator Masks / Zoro - Masks & Respiratory Protection - respirators for sale
Goon recommended: 3M HF-802SD, 3M HF-803SD (large), 3M HF-801SD (small)
Goon recommended filters: Cheap P100 cartridges, Less cheap P100 cartridges

Grainger - Disposable Respirators - N95 masks for sale
Goon recommended: 3M 8210

Bonafide Masks - Face Masks - KN95 masks for sale (coupon codes)
Goon recommended: Powecom KN95 with headband (black), Powecom KN95 with headband (white)

Be Healthy - KF94 masks for sale
Goon recommended: Bluna Facefit

Data

CDC Community Transmission Map - how safe is it to go outside?

Worldometer - rolling tally of worldwide COVID cases/deaths/etc.

Our World in Data - rolling tally of worldwide COVID vaccinations

HHS Hospital Utilization - current snapshot of hospital bed/ICU bed availability in the United States

COVID-19 Hospital Capacity - current snapshot of COVID-19 patient admissions by hospital in the United States

Twitter

BNO Newsroom - periodic updates on worldwide COVID stats and news (their data is largely taken from Newsnodes)

Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding - Epidemiologist

Prof. Florian Krammer - Microbiologist

YouTube

Dr. John Campbell - UK doctor who breaks down the latest in COVID news and research

Aaron Collins - PPE tester and reviewer

Archives

Goon curated COVID News repository

Original C-SPAM COVID thread (June 2020–August 2021)

McNugget Buddy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 19, 2021

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

A Derek Lowe In the Pipeline column has hit the new thread about a perennial favourite doomer topic, antibody-dependent enhancement:

It gets off to a fun start:

quote:

COVID-19
A New Antibody-Dependent Enhancement Hypothesis
By Derek Lowe 16 August, 2021

Here’s another post that I will regret writing, but a great many people have asked me about a new preprint that brings up the possibility of antibody-dependent enhancement with the current vaccines and the Delta variant. To be frank, some of the people promoting this seem to be rooting for the virus, just so long as it humiliates their enemies and proves their own positions to be correct, but there are a lot of honestly worried people out there who are wondering what this paper means. So let’s look at it, with an eye to lessons for evaluating such papers in general.
Maybe don't buy him an account.

First the sort of good news:

quote:

The authors are building on another recent paper (Li et al.) on neutralizing and non-neutralizing antibodies against the current coronvirus. The preprint version of that one came out in February, and the final version went online in June. That work appears to be very solid, and represents a great deal of effort, so let’s discuss it for a bit before returning to the preprint above. In it, the authors isolated antibodies from human patients that target the receptor-binding domain (RBD) and others that target the N-terminal domain (NTD). They found using in vitro assays that both neutralizing and (especially) non-neutralizing antibodies that bound to the NTD showed antibody-dependent enhancement in cell infection. This took place partly through a well-known ADE pathway involving the Fc-gamma receptor, which allows for infection of macrophages, and this was indeed the main mechanism seen with ADE of the earlier (2003) SARS virus. It should be noted, though, that these seem to use different subtypes of the Fc-gamma receptor, so they’re not completely identical. And there were other cellular ADE events that were Fc-receptor-independent, though a mechanism that has not yet been worked out.

But the Li et al. paper went on to demonstrate that this does not seem to happen in animal models for these SARS-CoV-2 antibodies. Indeed, antibodies that showed ADE in the cell culture models still protected primates from viral replication when they were challenged by the actual virus. Three of the 36 monkeys in the study had increased lung inflammation compared to controls, but still had decreased viral replication, which makes it likely not ADE (which depends on viral infection being worse) but some sort of effect of antibody treatment that is not mediated by virus. None of the animals that got the highest doses of antibodies, for example, showed any of these effects.

And the authors note that if antibody treatment led to ADE in humans, then it would have been seen in the convalescent serum trials and in its clinical usage. But it was not. Convalescent serum was not very beneficial in the end, but it was definitely not harmful. The paper also points out that the vaccine trials and the use of the vaccines in clinical practice have led to no signs of ADE, either. So ADE in cells for SARS-CoV-2 does not seem to translate to animal models of infection, and nothing of the sort has so far been observed in the (huge) human population.

Sounds pretty good so far, ADE has been seen in some cell studies but doesn't seem to be a factor in animal studies. The rest of the column is Lowe trashing some new simulation-only paper suggesting that the increased infectiousness of the Delta variant might in part due to an ADE effect:

quote:

Perhaps that’s why I haven’t been sent so many copies of the Li et al. manuscript, but rather this new one (Yahi et al.) I think it’s the title as well, which is an eye-catcher: “Infection-enhancing anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies recognize both the original Wuhan/D614G strain and Delta variants. A potential risk for mass vaccination?” The authors build on the earlier paper and make comparisons to the protein sequence of the Delta variant. They believe that the antibodies identified in the Li et al. paper as causing ADE in cell assays cause the Delta variant NTD to be more tightly bound to the membrane of human cells through an interaction with cell-surface lipid rafts, and they speculate that the balance between neutralization and infection enhancement, while favorable for earlier strains of the coronavirus, is tipped the other way for the Delta variant (thus the title of the paper, and this its rather bizarre Figure 2). About that title, while we’re on it – I’m not completely sure why they reference mass vaccination risks and not risks posed by previous infection by non-Delta strains, because I would have to think that the same concerns would apply.

Lowe claims this shouldn't be taken too seriously without experimental validation, and goes on about ADE generally:

quote:

And in my view, the Yahi et al. paper is not aligned with reality. They do work in a line about how “although the results obtained so far have been rather reassuring. . .” with a reference to the Li et al. paper, but they should also refer to the massive amount of real-world evidence now available. We have hundreds of millions of people who have been vaccinated to produce antibodies against the non-Delta coronavirus protein domains and are who are now being exposed to the Delta variant. To reiterate, there is (to the best of my knowledge) no evidence whatsoever of ADE in this situation. In fact, we see the opposite: people who have been vaccinated are far less likely to become infected with the Delta variant, and if they become infected, they are far less likely to experience severe disease. These trends have been seen over and over in different populations, and they are the exact opposite of what you would see if ADE were operating. If the mechanism proposed by Yahi et al. were happening in the real world, then we should see higher Delta infection rates among vaccinated people, with more severe disease. We are not. We are seeing the reverse. The vaccines simply to not appear to be causing ADE, no matter how many reasons one might be able to spin for them to do so.
While people are freaking out about delta breakthrough infections, it's definitely still the case that vaccinated people tend to have much milder symptoms than unvaccinated people. So ADE is probably not a thing to worry about at present and people can feel confident that their ill-gotten booster antibody titers won't be turned against them.

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

that cute family of deer you saw on your walk in the woods? full of covid. just riddled with the stuff.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
highlight from the last thread

from goon Bruce Hussein Daddy

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

McNugget Buddy posted:

Vaccines

Vaccine Spotter - find vaccines near you

PPE

Digikey - Respirator Masks - respirators for sale

Bonafide Masks - Face Masks - KN95 masks for sale (coupon codes)

Be Healthy - KF94 masks for sale

Data

CDC Community Transmission Map - how safe is it to go outside?

Worldometer - rolling tally of worldwide COVID cases/deaths/etc.

Our World in Data - rolling tally of worldwide COVID vaccinations

Twitter

https://twitter.com/BNODesk - periodic updates on worldwide COVID stats and news (their data is largely taken from Newsnodes)

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing - Epidemiologist

https://twitter.com/florian_krammer - Microbiologist

YouTube

Dr. John Campbell - UK doctor who breaks down the latest in COVID news and research

i love you but THREAD FAVORITE HF800 needs to be singled out in this

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

mod sassinator posted:

just link the leaked CDC slide deck, it's everything and more to show the dangers from both the virus and the administration: https://www.washingtonpost.com/context/cdc-breakthrough-infections/94390e3a-5e45-44a5-ac40-2744e4e25f2e/

I was thinking it would be clearer to have explicit statements of fact requiring no analysis or thought. A + B = C. What's actually currently thought to be known without caveat.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

apatheticman posted:

New thread means new possibilities, what's going to happen next?!?

Oh right the child deaths and people screaming "how could we have known?!"

I'm tired of being Covid Cassandra but I'd also like to keep my kids alive, ya know?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Chad Sexington posted:

The old thread gave me anxiety.

The new thread will bring me peace and prosperity.

"posts that aged poorly"

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

LionArcher posted:

spoiler. it was never healthy.

Covid delta baby all the way.

also, we still flattening a curve?

Does it count as flat if it's vertical?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenin Stimpy