Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Posting terrifying images to scare away the terves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
it's so he can start drinking at 4.45 in the morning

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Looks like his watch is actually fast rather than he changed the carriage clock.
https://twitter.com/SpotMonkey/status/1427289450707660804

Did the UK PM leave himself open to a Bellingcat? Would have thought the various MIs would have a bit more care about opsec.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure "the PM is a useless fucker who's never on time for anything even though he gives himself an extra 15 minutes for a wank" is even classified.

OwlFancier posted:

Nice, did you get any of the secret vampire morgue?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

OwlFancier posted:

I'm nicking this to see if I can do a painting of it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not sure "the PM is a useless fucker who's never on time for anything even though he gives himself an extra 15 minutes for a wank" is even classified.

Nice, did you get any of the secret vampire morgue?

I did not because it's at the bottom of the hill and I didn't want to walk back up.

But you can see it on google maps it does not look at all scary.

I suppose it is handy if you get too drunk in the pub they can put you right in there.

HopperUK posted:

I'm nicking this to see if I can do a painting of it.

You are more than welcome! It was a very nice sunset, lots of sea spray and yellow light. There's some cows on the cliff too somewhere in there.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

This is reminding me of Dear Esther.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Julio Cruz posted:

it's so he can start drinking at 4.45 in the morning

Think you've confused him with Sir Kieth

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Szmitten posted:

YES. I fuckin love Dear Esther. I did a picture of it a while back.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Szmitten posted:

Lol that's the first thing I thought of too

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Skimmed Wikipedia a bit and was somewhat surprised to learn that after the Soviets withdrew from Afghanistan, the pro-Soviet government lasted for another three years after that. That kinda seems a bit better than three loving days like just now. At the very least, gives people more time to flee.

Apparently the history is that there was a bunch of communist Afghans who took power in a coup, and some time after that the Soviet Union came in to provide support for them. That would explain why there was a relatively noticeable base of support for the pro-Soviet government, since it was actual Afghans who initiated all that. Compare this to the US and western countries who were like hi, so we just invaded your country and defeated your army, now this is Mr Foreign McCuntface, you're gonna need to vote for him and his puppet party from now on thank you. What a surprise that this would then collapse pretty drat quick.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

jaete posted:

Skimmed Wikipedia a bit and was somewhat surprised to learn that

Lord of the Llamas posted:

just a massive swastika

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I suppose it is handy if you get too drunk in the pub they can put you right in there.
That is a bit creepy by the standards of, say, garden sheds, but no more than the random old small buildings you can see in the countryside around here that were usually something to do with the water board or so.

I would have assumed something more like "old outbuilding for the pub because they couldn't have a basement due to being too close to the sea" or something rather than "seaside morgue for adult human Mumsnetters" unless the pub landlord was the vampire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

That is a bit creepy by the standards of, say, garden sheds, but no more than the random old small buildings you can see in the countryside around here that were usually something to do with the water board or so.

I would have assumed something more like "old outbuilding for the pub because they couldn't have a basement due to being too close to the sea" or something rather than "seaside morgue for adult human Mumsnetters" unless the pub landlord was the vampire.

Yeah exactly I thought it was just an old cellar or something that was probably used as a utilities cupboard now. It was apparently used as a morgue back when saltburn was half a dozen houses clustered around the mouth of the river (of which the pub and a couple of buildings past it are the only remains) because the coast is quite treacharous and the only real natural harbours are either teesmouth or whitby so wrecks were fairly common.

But I assume that was in addition to being just... a cold room for other things. In general yes it looks like the sort of building you would find on a farm or an extremely small shrine/chapel.

If you want spooky draculurs then there's this place just up the road:

Almost the smallest church in the country I think. So presumably 1500 vampire pounds per month in vampire london.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Aug 16, 2021

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

BizarroAzrael posted:

That should arrive pretty comfortably before Monday, and yes, Turner.

namesake posted:

Turner and Graham both have acceptable histories as labour activists so neither is a bad vote but Turner got the nod from the (mostly bureaucratic but still relevant) official left group in Unite and Beckett backed him so he's generally the favourite of the left and probably the stronger vote if absolutely commited to making sure Coyne doesn't win.
cool, thanks, i'll send it out tomorrow!

i don't think i've even heard of Sharon Graham before though :ohdear:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Almost the smallest church in the country I think. So presumably 1500 vampire pounds per month in vampire london.

That's gorgeous! I love its little tower.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

OwlFancier posted:

I did not because it's at the bottom of the hill and I didn't want to walk back up.

But you can see it on google maps it does not look at all scary.

It's got a gothic arch for the doorway and those baby buttresses at the corners that you tend to have for a vaulted roof, which makes it seem slightly religious. I wonder if the local currents mean that drowned sailors would fetch up on the beach at Saltburn and it was a place to keep them while the word was sent around the coastal villages.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I think that's the 'bit creepy for a garden shed' bit, but industrial and utilities companies also pulled all of that kind of poo poo in certain periods, in the same way as having some kind of Queen Anne revival water pump with quoins and an octagonal viewing tower for the water accumulator, because otherwise stately home NIMBYs wouldn't allow people to have water, which in turn led to a bunch of far more architectural than necessary utility sheds.

Then again without all that kind of thing we might never have had the Niagara Mohawk Building, so swings and enormous fake neoclassical domes I guess.

OwlFancier posted:

Location confirmed for the Free Kirk, the wee kirk, the kirk without the steeple, and possible timeshare for Little Dracula.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Aug 16, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Especially in saltburn that was explicitly built as a resort town for all the robber barons who ran the industry between Redcar and Stockton, a faux gothic utility cupboard would not be at all out of the ordinary.

Really need to try and climb the river again and see if I can get a photo of the stonework up there that keeps the valley stabilized. It genuinely baffles how much must have gone into building the place from nothing. So difficult to imagine nowadays where stuff like that just... doesn't happen.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 16, 2021

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

OwlFancier posted:

Especially in saltburn that was explicitly built as a resort town for all the robber barons who ran the industry between Redcar and Stockton, a faux gothic utility cupboard would not be at all out of the ordinary.

Really need to try and climb the river again and see if I can get a photo of the stonework up there that keeps the valley stabilized. It genuinely baffles how much must have gone into building the place from nothing. So difficult to imagine nowadays where stuff like that just... doesn't happen.

If you ever get the choice, go to Fichale Abbey, just north of Durham. Beautiful river, tumble down rock, a reformation Abbey, and you can camp there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Trickjaw posted:

If you ever get the choice, go to Fichale Abbey, just north of Durham. Beautiful river, tumble down rock, a reformation Abbey, and you can camp there.

That sounds lovely actually, maybe a choice for a warm summer night when I'm not at work. I've been to fountains abbey and that was nice but never knew about that one.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

That sounds lovely actually, maybe a choice for a warm summer night when I'm not at work. I've been to fountains abbey and that was nice but never knew about that one.

That would be a loving great place to sit round a bonfire. Where it is is close to a waterfall called high force, and as its largely rural, so you should get to see plenty of stars. I hope you do go and love it. Such a simple, enjoyable place.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've been to high force actually! I didn't know it was near there.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I may be biased, but the NE is one of the most picturesque places in the country, despite all attempts to grind it into hell, and contains the nicest people who are not thick ex-miners, The Venerable Bede wrote the first English bible, the Ashington club near Newcastle that was a place for miners to enjoy art/reading/ debate, and so much more. Durham itself is my favourite small cities, and if you go on the train you arrive on a geet big viaduct over the city.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've never been into durham only around it, but yeah the train ride in is a hell of a thing, also the ride directly over the top of Yarm because they just decided "nah gently caress you" and built the train line directly over the entire town :v:

But yeah not that I've ever been anywhere else, but I do like the land here. The towns are small enough you don't have to go far to find somewhere green, the sea is close, and everywhere seems to hide somewhere really gorgeous.

The people I'm more lukewarm on, I find there's a bit of a contrast between personability and thoroughly horrible politics, people are often nice enough to me while falling over themselves to tell me about how all the forrins are thieving bastards who need to be sent back, so it rings a bit hollow sometimes. Feels like everyone I talk to I'm just waiting for them to feel confident enough around a Fellow Hwhite to offer me their loving national front sales pitch.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Aug 17, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The north east coast is lovely, especially now that Whitley Bay has apparently got its beach back.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Finchale Abby isn't near high force but you can still quite happily mess about in the river wear

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

fluppet posted:

Finchale Abby isn't near high force but you can still quite happily mess about in the river wear

Fair enough, I was being a touch imprecise!

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah exactly I thought it was just an old cellar or something that was probably used as a utilities cupboard now. It was apparently used as a morgue back when saltburn was half a dozen houses clustered around the mouth of the river (of which the pub and a couple of buildings past it are the only remains) because the coast is quite treacharous and the only real natural harbours are either teesmouth or whitby so wrecks were fairly common.

But I assume that was in addition to being just... a cold room for other things. In general yes it looks like the sort of building you would find on a farm or an extremely small shrine/chapel.

Ha, used to play round that church when I was a kid. Always fun seeing your pics of the area. I believe it is the smallest in the country though no longer operational obviously. Have you been to Winkies Castle?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jakabite posted:

Have you been to Winkies Castle?

Looking it up, no, but I have driven past it many times apparently without realizing what it was :v:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

It sounds like a game show from the 70s which would have been mentioned on every other page of Yewtree.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The north east coast is lovely, especially now that Whitley Bay has apparently got its beach back.

Please do not encourage anyone to go to Whitley Bay

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I'm going up that way for a week pretty soon. I shall be staring out across the north sea letting my hair get ratty in the salt air, thinking about witchcraft.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is certainly a good thing to spend your time doing, whitby in particular is good if you want to feel especially witchy, and there's a bunch of nice places along the coast and across the moors.

Very good country for staring at the sea in general.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I've always wanted to go to grimsby. Don't really know why, but it can't be as bad as Blackpool in the off season can it?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Every season in Blackpool is an off-season.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Blackpool in the off season means punk festivals and sleeping in the station til 5am :getin:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Looking it up, no, but I have driven past it many times apparently without realizing what it was :v:

It’s got a two headed goat!!!!

It’s weird how the place changes every time I go back though. So many fancyish places popping up. Not that that’s a bad thing, I just couldn’t imagine an artisinal deli existing in marske ten years ago

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
More like GRIMsby!

*puts finger to ear* oh, oh I see. Well... more like grimsbad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The only thing that ever comes to mind when I hear Grimsby, is some anecdote I think from Lemmy's memoir where he goes down on a lady and comments that she smells like Grimsby.

Although the internet can't confirm this for me and it's kinda hard to imagine Lemmy being that generous a lover, so maybe that whole anecdote is a product of my puerile imagination