Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vib Rib posted:

I liked Return of the Rottwieners, but I didn't like how it doesn't save your inventory. Every time I load up the game I have to spend like 10 minutes just going around the various shops and reward buildings and getting myself equipped before I head out. If saving inventory was impossible in the engine, it would have at least been nice to put all your unlocked stuff in one central armory, so I didn't have to take long hikes to all the different locales just to pick up stuff I've already earned.

It's a Roguelite with persistent rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's a Roguelite with persistent rewards.
And it would be pretty cool if it only reset when you died, instead of every time you had to step away. Plenty of roguelites let you save and quit.
At the least, you could still be a roguelite while putting those rewards in a single, easily accessible area.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

deep dish peat moss posted:

Can anyone recommend PC VR games where I can play with mouse+keyboard controls but use VR? I don't have space to actually swing my arms around for any games that require VR controllers but I'm not familiar with many games that I can play while sitting with regular PC controls - Elite Dangeous is the only one I can think of

If you are fine with a controller, you can play stuff like End Space, Elite Dangerous, Obduction, The Climb, Edge of Nowhere, and Chronos, to name a few.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
When using Oculus Link, is there a way to mount my desktop screen in a way that doesn't render over everything when ingame? Is it really not possible to make near objects actually go in front of the displayed screen? It really fucks with my depth perception, but it's a really useful thing to have when working in Quill.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Can anyone recommend PC VR games where I can play with mouse+keyboard controls but use VR? I don't have space to actually swing my arms around for any games that require VR controllers but I'm not familiar with many games that I can play while sitting with regular PC controls - Elite Dangeous is the only one I can think of

The Persistence uses a blend of KB/M and where you're looking with the headset for controls, that should fit your criteria.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Argue posted:

When using Oculus Link, is there a way to mount my desktop screen in a way that doesn't render over everything when ingame? Is it really not possible to make near objects actually go in front of the displayed screen? It really fucks with my depth perception, but it's a really useful thing to have when working in Quill.

Pinned windows from Oculus Home will render behind close things, at least in some games. I don't know if it's something the game has to have programmed in or what, but I have for sure had desktop pinned windows rendering behind other stuff.

In addition to the other suggestions, No Man's Sky uses the touch controllers but you're not really needing to go beyond sitting range.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Bad Munki posted:

Pokerstars, while it does use actual VR controls, is very much a seated, low-volume game, since everything is happening basically right above your lap. It is also, incidentally, possibly the best social VR experience out there.

Gonna hard disagree with that last sentence, I don't think I've been in a single table on pokerstars vr that didn't have at least a couple 12 year olds who just learned swear words throwing props all over the place constantly

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I had heard Demeo was a hard game, but I won my first two matches, and with some margin of error. Although I also heard the second scenario is harder, which I still haven't tried.

In any case, I hope they deliver with regular updates, because they are missing some essential features, like saving the game, difficulty settings, and if possible custom rules/mutators (it would go well with the tabletop ethos).

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

thecluckmeme posted:

the sheer spectacle of it could only be done correctly in VR. The first time I went back to the tavern in Asgard and realized I could be the tiny little human on the anvil, switched perspective, and then looked up at the GIGANTIC blacksmith giving an inquisitive look toward me is something I don't think you can recreate without VR. That poo poo was like staring into the face of God and realizing how small you are.

If the MCU ever wanted to make a VR game, the Ant-Man franchise seems very well suited to this. Especially since he has to put on a visor thingy, so wearing a limited FOV headset is immersive.

Then you can gently caress with perspective by become tiny or gigantic and do crazy quantum realm VR poo poo. It's perfect. Brilliant opportunity for a AAA VR game if there ever was one.

Lord Bob
Jun 1, 2000

Martytoof posted:

I’m having a really weird moment with Rez Infinite on Quest.

I wondered if it has something to do with how the cursor movement is no longer tied to analog stick movement speed?

I always loved Rez and would play it idly occasionally, but never made it past the 3rd or so level playing with a controller, i'd just rapidly get overwhelmed and die and never practiced enough to get good enough to get through those levels on ps2 or later on xbox.

When I grabbed the quest version earlier this year I was expecting the same (i was actually... a lil drunk when i bought it on a whim and thought i'd half-cuttedly wobble through a couple levels then put it down forever just like before), but the cursor being fully motion controlled and aiming being so effortless and thoughtless meant I actually made it all the way through the game barely taking any damage. Finally got to see the last 2 levels!

I wonder if part of the intrinsic almost accidental rhythm of enemies getting "snapped" to on the controller versions is partly a function of how your cursor can only move so fast even at max analog pressure, but motion control means you can fling that thing around faster than the game ever allowed before and with no mechanical limits on it beyond your own physical ability to whap your arm back and forth.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

raditts posted:

Gonna hard disagree with that last sentence, I don't think I've been in a single table on pokerstars vr that didn't have at least a couple 12 year olds who just learned swear words throwing props all over the place constantly

They never win enough to move up to higher stakes tables and you are allowed to report them for being kids. It might take you a couple of tries but you can find tables without them.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Martytoof posted:

I’m having a really weird moment with Rez Infinite on Quest.

Rez is probably top five on my list of favourite games so I was shocked I didn’t realize it had made it to Quest last year. I just grabbed a copy right now and … it feels weird. There’s SOMETHING off about the music and audio that I can’t put my finger on and I don’t know if it’s this port or if I’m just remembering the game wrong from previous iterations.

I seem to remember this game being MUCH more rhythmically synced than this port is. If I mashed the controller to shoot down items on the Xbox version I seem to remember all the shooting happening to the beat, even if I didn’t chain a five-shot. No matter what I did it still sounded “good”.

But now, I’m mashing individual shots and the audio seems to be really choppy and stilted. Like nothing is happening on the beat, and the underlying background music looks like it’s really stuttering for it too.

Part of it is that the game has such unique audio characteristics so even if I was articulating everything properly it would sound like a weird explanation but as it is I’m not entirely sure I’m explaining it properly.

So I dunno, I guess I’ll throw this out there: Anyone else here a huge die-hard Rez fan who thought this port had some REALLY weird shooting/audio timing characteristics?

E: Just to be clear, I know you’re not supposed to just spam single-shots, but I don’t remember it being so rhythm-breaking in previous ports.

FWIW I've beaten Rez a few times on the Dreamcast, a couple times on Daydream, and once on the Quest. I never noticed any significant differences between them as far audio and timing goes. If you fire off individual shots they've always fired instantly, not synced to the beat. Chain shots do. I never noticed any stuttering on Quest though, so perhaps it's running strangely for you for some reason?

e:

Lord Bob posted:

I wondered if it has something to do with how the cursor movement is no longer tied to analog stick movement speed?

I always loved Rez and would play it idly occasionally, but never made it past the 3rd or so level playing with a controller, i'd just rapidly get overwhelmed and die and never practiced enough to get good enough to get through those levels on ps2 or later on xbox.

When I grabbed the quest version earlier this year I was expecting the same (i was actually... a lil drunk when i bought it on a whim and thought i'd half-cuttedly wobble through a couple levels then put it down forever just like before), but the cursor being fully motion controlled and aiming being so effortless and thoughtless meant I actually made it all the way through the game barely taking any damage. Finally got to see the last 2 levels!

I wonder if part of the intrinsic almost accidental rhythm of enemies getting "snapped" to on the controller versions is partly a function of how your cursor can only move so fast even at max analog pressure, but motion control means you can fling that thing around faster than the game ever allowed before and with no mechanical limits on it beyond your own physical ability to whap your arm back and forth.

This is a good point though and might explain it.

chippy fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Aug 16, 2021

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
Pistol whip is as always great, though I kinda wish they had worked out a better way of working out their leaderboards, my top 20 scores are all gone and now no-one is playing deadeye headshot mode.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shoefish posted:

Pistol whip is as always great, though I kinda wish they had worked out a better way of working out their leaderboards, my top 20 scores are all gone and now no-one is playing deadeye headshot mode.

They just updated the way their leaderboards work specifically because they didn't works that well before. How else would do it?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
How do I train for deadeye because I tried it out (plus headshots only) and killed basically nothing and I want to try doing this from a stationary pov first

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Thumper I know for sure can be played with mouse and keyboard because I did it recently, along with a PS5 controller, so both a game pad and regular mouse and keyboard work. And possibly Trover Saves The Universe? I don’t know tho, but I don’t remember it requiring much movement. I think Obduction would also work with m+kb.

Edit: I should also say that I don’t know if Trover or Obduction can be played with mouse and keyboard, but I’m fairly sure you can play both with a controller/without motion controls.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Aug 16, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Argue posted:

How do I train for deadeye because I tried it out (plus headshots only) and killed basically nothing and I want to try doing this from a stationary pov first

Buy and play H3VR. Personally I found you will learn how to shoot well in any VR game after a stretch in the ranges or Take and Hold.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005

Jack Trades posted:

They just updated the way their leaderboards work specifically because they didn't works that well before. How else would do it?

In the past they mentioned that they didn't want to have separate leaderboards for each modifier to not split the community. Modifiers were all a %bonus to score which worked well, I think maybe some kind of hybrid where modifiers still give a bonus, but scoreboards maybe split between Deadeye and Non-Deadeye, or maybe per weapon.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005

Argue posted:

I wouldn't train for deadeye with headshots only on, either drop the difficulty down and try easy or medium deadeye, or use some of the easier modifiers along with deadeye so you can concentrate on aim and less having to dodge at the same time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

raditts posted:

You can mute someone’s voice, props and body. Just do that.

They become a silent monolith that plays poker, it’s pretty great

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Can the DAS headphones “snap points” be adjusted? For some reason the left one needs a smidge more room to snap closed than is comfortable on my fat head and likes to pop open when moving around. The metal arms look like they could be bent a bit to make it fit better but I don’t know if that’s the best idea.

If you’re like me and missed out on the Valheim hypetrain earlier this year, the VHVR mod is excellent and doesn’t require you to use motion controls. You lose out on the excellent bow mechanics but building stuff works a lot better with m&k.

Both Subnauticas are controller-only as is Star Wars Squadrons.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Zaphod42 posted:

Boneworks was an indie project though?

I believe it started as a Half Life game at Valve?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Senator Drinksalot posted:

No, it was a small indie team making a pitch to Valve to let them do a VR Half-Life game.
Valve said "no thx" so they reskinned the game and made Boneworks.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I wonder how many jumps of telephone game on Internet that had to do to finally reach you like that.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Ah okay, I knew Valve had some kind of part in it. Didn't realize it was simply rejecting the game

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

I had heard Demeo was a hard game, but I won my first two matches, and with some margin of error. Although I also heard the second scenario is harder, which I still haven't tried.

In any case, I hope they deliver with regular updates, because they are missing some essential features, like saving the game, difficulty settings, and if possible custom rules/mutators (it would go well with the tabletop ethos).

The second level is much harder, and in a bullshit way. Your sight radius is very reduced (3 times less at least?). It makes you having to go slower and you jump in ambushes, you can't plan ahead because you don't see far away enemies, it's a big nerf to ranged combat and using traps, etc. This is all ok. It's harder, but you adapt to it, you buy torches, etc. The bullshit part is that it doesn't seem to affect the enemy, with their archers being able to fire at you from the other side of the map.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That's an eternal problem with fog of war and other visibility things in games where they just straight up don't apply to the AI.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Ah okay, I knew Valve had some kind of part in it. Didn't realize it was simply rejecting the game

I thought valve helped them with Boneworks because they knew the main guy in charge? It would make sense they knew him because he pitched the game to them.

Turin Turambar posted:

I wonder how many jumps of telephone game on Internet that had to do to finally reach you like that.

In any case they will pay for that, especially the purple monkey dishwasher remark.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Turin Turambar posted:

There's a bunch of videos claiming Boneworks was a Half-Life game, and that Valve decided to make their own. It's weird.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y2GDXMC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_dl_ZN3EPREZS6JDJYK2RT9T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

HTC Deluxe Audio Strap for $80. Dump that elite strap for your Quest 2s.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
You know, this brings up something I really like about the original Quest: it's flat at the back. If I want to rest my head back against the headrest of my chair to watch something, I can. If I wanted to lie down with the headset and watch a movie or some trippy 3D stuff, I could. (I haven't yet, but I like that I could.) Can't do that with any other headset. The back of the Index (for example) bonks up against the headrest of my chair if I lean back too much.

It's a bit of a shame since the back is a sensible place to balance weight, etc. It just makes sense to put some junk in that trunk for a variety of reasons. But in some ways I really appreciate the flat back of the OG quest.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

It’s something I hate about a lot of halo straps and the elite strap compared to the base Quest 2 strap as well, I can’t just lay down and watch a 3D movie because of the adjustment dial on the back.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

njsykora posted:

It’s something I hate about a lot of halo straps and the elite strap compared to the base Quest 2 strap as well, I can’t just lay down and watch a 3D movie because of the adjustment dial on the back.

they make weird special shaped pillows for CPAP users, someone should do the same thing for VR users

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Huh, I had no idea those existed.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

is the Quest 2 sold out everywhere right now at retail?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Looks like it in the UK, sold out in the handful of places I just checked. Wonder if this is the last of the 64gb versions before the 128gb becomes the base model.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

njsykora posted:

I watched Friday the 13th Part 3D yesterday and my solution was just to put a neck pillow just behind the crook of my neck. Not the most comfortable solution but it was fine.

Also watching a 3D movie in VR is awesome, like yeah it's not a "real" theater and no you can't see your actual body IRL so you lose that sense of the image popping out into the real world, but it's still pretty drat cool. Also the screen's way bigger than my real-life TV (which is big but not that big, and also not 3D-capable).

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Is it pretty good? I remember we got it for free from oculus for whatever reason and I could do an rpg that doesn’t involve loving with Skyrim

The seat, and the extra sensations were good. Graphics were somewhere between quest and pcvr.
But the game was glitchy and buggy as hell. Not surprising since its software developed for such a small niche.

Hopefully it turns people on to VR. The place sold the cheap smartphone VR headsets. And some nicer ones I think. But not stuff like the valve index or hp reverb.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Yeah, kinda like how Croc on PS1 was originally an unlicensed Yoshi game built in the hope they could get the license when they showed it off and Nintendo was like "hell no" so they had to change the design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Difference there being that Argonaut were actively working with Nintendo at the time (and were in the process of having all their major talent taken by Nintendo before cutting ties but that’s another story).