Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Man I didn't realize how much larger the maps here in absolute terms. If the Civ VI wiki is to be believed, Humankind huge is nearly twice the size of Civ VI huge, and for like half the number of players. I assume to account for there being large areas for tactical battles?

You likely end up controlling fewer cities and units have more movement so it probably doesn't feel as different though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Anno posted:

Man I didn't realize how much larger the maps here in absolute terms. If the Civ VI wiki is to be believed, Humankind huge is nearly twice the size of Civ VI huge, and for like half the number of players. I assume to account for there being large areas for tactical battles?

You likely end up controlling fewer cities and units have more movement so it probably doesn't feel as different though.

Cities take up a lot of real estate on the map in Humankind compared to Civ, but you still want as many as possible as far as I can tell.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Gort posted:

Get Gamepass for like £8 instead my dude

You could play Crusader Kings 3 instead, which is a confirmed Good Game

Okay so, I'm a complete idiot with Paradox games... is CK3 actually approachable or is it still a mess of buttons and tabs and graphs etc to keep track of like past games?

Cause I'm interested in Humankind for its Sid Meiery/Endless franchise approach to grand strategy, which is pretty friendly to idiots like me.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Deakul posted:

Okay so, I'm a complete idiot with Paradox games... is CK3 actually approachable or is it still a mess of buttons and tabs and graphs etc to keep track of like past games?

Cause I'm interested in Humankind for its Sid Meiery/Endless franchise approach to grand strategy, which is pretty friendly to idiots like me.

Old World is literally CK+Civ and very approachable

Anno
May 10, 2017

Deakul posted:

CK3 is very approachable. I started to get into Paradox games with Stellaris, but could never crack CK2 or EU4. CK3 was a breeze, though.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Watching Marbozir's stream and quite a few choices changed so it's less no brainer and the pottery workshop is back to give some influence in the early game. Also some civ traits and buildings got changed.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Deakul posted:

CK3 is derided as being dumb downed and for casuals so yeah, it's actually playable and has a UI.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Can you make your ruling family Horses and then conduct an ethnic cleansing on Europe, emptying it of humans and refilling it with Horses?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The highest difficulty setting is Humankind, the second is Civilization :allears:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

appropriatemetaphor posted:

CK3 is derided as being dumb downed and for casuals

By crazy people yes

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Does this come out tomorrow? Any idea what time?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
A quick google says 5PM BST / 9AM PT / 12PM ET, which is very handily the exact moment I finish work

Anno
May 10, 2017

Pretty sure they said 16:00 CEST. Which I think is 10:00 eastern.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Midnight in Australia, of course

Menelon
Oct 2, 2014
It's planned for tomorrow, 7am PDT / 3pm BST / 4pm CET.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Review/full gameplay embargo seems to be at the same time today. So ~100 minutes from now.

Also this might go live around then? https://humankind-encyclopedia.service.games2gether.com/

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

RPS Review

Still reading. They seem to like it.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Scores vary between 7 and 8/10 with most reviewers saying it misses the peaks of Endless Legend but fairly comparable to a Civ game at release which can be improved with DLC.

Anno
May 10, 2017

All seems about what you’d expect if you’ve followed the game and played the OpenDevs. No one I could find report much in the way of truly bad bugs which is all I was really worried about. Excited to give it a full shot tomorrow.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Anyone have any details on how multiplayer works? Are turns taken simultaneously, sequentially, or some combination?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

simultaneously from what I saw in a video, not sure if there's options to change that

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Uh oh. I remember that being a problem in Civ where you had stuff like great generals who had no combat power themselves, but granted combat bonuses to nearby units.

So you could sit there with a fast unit, wait for your enemy to move the unit that was defending the great general, and rush your unit in to snipe the now-alone-for-a-millisecond great general.

Anno
May 10, 2017

It looks like at least one member of the CivFanatics community got a review code. It doesn’t seem like the kind of thing that’ll get published outside of the forum so you can read it here if you’re interested in a take by someone who’s probably multiple thousands of hours deep into every Civ game.

This was the part I liked most.

quote:

The game is easy to win even without min/maxing. A win means little, which I like. The real reward you get on this game is the pleasure of the journey.

I’d like it if victory as a concept went away in these games entirely, but this seems like a fine compromise. I just want to wander through the map, build a cool looking empire and enjoy the numbers going up, which seems to be the aim here.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

It sounds like the big flaw dragging down the AI's ability to win is their tendency to progress era the earliest moment they can rather than considering sticking around to farm the fame points.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I wasn’t paying this game much mind until I saw it was coming to gamepass and after reading a few reviews, I’m now stoked to try it out tomorrow.

The downsides I’ve heard is so far aren’t things that usually bother me much (well other than bugs).

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ultrachrist posted:

I wasn’t paying this game much mind until I saw it was coming to gamepass and after reading a few reviews, I’m now stoked to try it out tomorrow.

Oh wow I was just considering whether to impulse buy this but thankfully the question has been rendered moot

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Why did they decide to ditch their original setting to make yet another generic civ clone?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

FrickenMoron posted:

Why did they decide to ditch their original setting to make yet another generic civ clone?

That's not what happened. What happened is they used their fantasy setting for practice while they geared up to finally make their lifelong dream: a civ clone.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Like I think most reviews have been clear that they didn't make a Civ clone - just that it isn't as good as Civ right now.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Like I think most reviews have been clear that they didn't make a Civ clone - just that it isn't as good as Civ right now.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
-dupilicate-

Anno
May 10, 2017

Civ is a pretty formative series in gaming. I understand growing up playing those games and really wanting to make one. And it’s not like many games have ever tried squaring off directly against Civ in the “whole arc of human history” turn-based empire building subgenre.

Thom12255 posted:

I enjoyed the betas more than I ever did Civ VI. I’m excited to see where this goes.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
rowan kaiser says that you'll probably want to play on a harder difficulty on tightly packed maps if you're a civ vet of any variety

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Anno posted:

It looks like at least one member of the CivFanatics community got a review code. It doesn’t seem like the kind of thing that’ll get published outside of the forum so you can read it here if you’re interested in a take by someone who’s probably multiple thousands of hours deep into every Civ game.

This was the part I liked most.

I’d like it if victory as a concept went away in these games entirely, but this seems like a fine compromise. I just want to wander through the map, build a cool looking empire and enjoy the numbers going up, which seems to be the aim here.

I'm fine with victory, but I don't like Civ V and VI's move to having the AI playing the same game you are - mostly because I, and probably a good bit of the actual players who aren't megafans and hang out on the forums - weren't playing that game. I enjoyed doing weird roleplaying and making non-optimal moves, even from the perspective a guy who didn't know what the TRUE optimal moves were, and it really makes the Civ series feel less like a journey through human history when everybody starts getting aggressive in the 1900s because we're getting close to the part where we decide who has Won History. The system in Humankind feels a lot better from this perspective, because a civ could be considered among the greats because of what they did a thousand years ago or more, which is kind of how it works in real life?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
it's cool that you like to do that but you can always just play on easy and have that experience work out just fine in any 4x. the V and VI move to having AIs actively play against you is a move so that the strategy game requires you to make strategic choices.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Impermanent posted:

it's cool that you like to do that but you can always just play on easy and have that experience work out just fine in any 4x. the V and VI move to having AIs actively play against you is a move so that the strategy game requires you to make strategic choices.

The AI plays just as aggressively on lower difficulties, just more incompetently and you spend several hundred years swatting at mosquitos as you coast to a snowball victory.

People who like 'roleplaying' Civ don't want it to be easier - they want the AI they've been BFFs with for 1500 years to not suddenly and without warning declare an all out war because the AI wants to 'win the game'.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Thom12255 posted:

to clarify, what i've been hearing from reviewers hasn't been that its not as good as Civ right now but that its exactly as good as a launch Civ before it gets its expansions

and put me in the camp of "didn't click with civ 6 but loved the Humankind opendevs"

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Tuxedo Gin posted:

The AI plays just as aggressively on lower difficulties, just more incompetently and you spend several hundred years swatting at mosquitos as you coast to a snowball victory.

People who like 'roleplaying' Civ don't want it to be easier - they want the AI they've been BFFs with for 1500 years to not suddenly and without warning declare an all out war because the AI wants to 'win the game'.

The Civ 6 AI does not do that, though

I all my games the civs Ive been friends with for most of the game will stay friendly with me even while I win the game

(I am often the one who start declaring irrational wars in late game because Im bored)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

PartyElite seems to like it, which is a good sign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zXJmjz9wGM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Impermanent posted:

It's not necessarily strategic choices, though, it's optimal choices to win the hardest. I've spent a lot of time lurking in the Civ VI thread and there's a lot of "80% of the options should never be picked because they're less efficient."

Also, this:

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Civilizations have desires and values that go beyond "either have 80% of the landmass, leave the planet, or kill everybody," and Civ VI did a great job trying to put that in with the leader-specific personalities, but the fact that it's designed primarily as a wargame is an issue for me.

Elias_Maluco posted:

The Civ 6 AI does not do that, though

I all my games the civs Ive been friends with for most of the game will stay friendly with me even while I win the game

(I am often the one who start declaring irrational wars in late game because Im bored)

I dunno how to square this with my experience, because everyone definitely gets mad as the game nears the 'end' for me. One of the updates/patches even said, and I'm paraphrasing here, "Added the system from Civ V where aggression increases over time."