Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Use the aftermarket parts until you drop it, then replace them with the OEM parts once you do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Martytoof posted:

Use the aftermarket parts until you drop it, then replace them with the OEM parts once you do.

windscreen and muffler (unless obnoxious) and such, sure. However I'm not as young as I once was so I think regular footpegs and handlebars are probably better for someone like me. Also maybe frame sliders if I end up getting that particular bike, it looks mint in the pictures. Would be better if it had some dents and scratches already but what can you do. Looking at reviews of the model it seems like just the thing. Slipper clutch even! I've learned to revmatch decently but I don't get it right every time and forgiving is good.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Invalido posted:

windscreen and muffler (unless obnoxious) and such, sure. However I'm not as young as I once was so I think regular footpegs and handlebars are probably better for someone like me. Also maybe frame sliders if I end up getting that particular bike, it looks mint in the pictures. Would be better if it had some dents and scratches already but what can you do. Looking at reviews of the model it seems like just the thing. Slipper clutch even! I've learned to revmatch decently but I don't get it right every time and forgiving is good.

I'm struggling to picture where the clipons would even go tbh, the ninja has bolt-on bars that sit on top of the triple clamp, there's no room in the fairing to put traditional clipons on there. I'd definitely swap those out, even if you were young and fast they would confer zero advantage. Rearset pegs will have an effect on the bike's weight distribution, there is a theoretical advantage to be found here but there is zero chance that somebody bolting ebay chinesium to an ex300 is even aware of this so definitely ditch those too.

I know intellectually that they have a slipper clutch but I'll be damned if I can feel it working, the engine braking is so negligible I can't tell. Like lots of things, it's marketed as a performance thing but in reality it just makes it possible to have a lighter smoother clutch action that makes learning easier - not sexy, but super useful, like most japanese bike stuff.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
sadly the guy just sold it so I'll never know what he meant by clipons.
Also he suggested without me asking in his reply that should consider getting an ER6 instead of a ninja 300 since my license allows it. Opinions differ I guess.

Invalido fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 16, 2021

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

If Since the Ninja 300 doesn't didn't work out for one reason or another, don't write off a 200-350 dual sport. Even if it's not your style, they're The Best motorcycles for learning on or refreshing skills on. They're cheap to insure, don't break easily, and very forgiving.

I'd also say don't make ABS your one dealbreaker for your first bike. Maybe one day when all bikes have ABS it'll be easier, but for now there are a bunch of great small bikes out there without it. ABS is great and wonderful and one day I hope to have enough money to own an ABS bike. But there are generations and generations of motorcyclists who have learned to ride just fine without it, and I'd posit that without having it there, a cautious rider is more likely to learn proper braking technique knowing that it's absolutely critical. Especially based on some of your posting about it so far.
That said, it's a great bit of safety technology, so I won't evangelize against it any more than that, and if it really is that important to you, go for it.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Yeah it's sort of mandatory. Made a promise to the wife I wouldn't ride without it, or full gear. Let's just say she's not as into motorcycles as I am. I'm not opposed to a little dual sport at all. I'll just keep looking I guess.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A small dual sport makes abs basically redundant anyway, you can lock the front 420 erryday and never get close to actually crashing. I firmly believe nobody should learn on an abs bike, but also all big bikes should probably have mandatory abs.

It's difficult because saying this triggers a certain kind of person but there really is immense value in not having abs but only when it's coupled with practice and a determination to learn and improve. So on an individual level I think abs is at best neither good nor bad, at worst it holds you back.

But vecause most people aren't interested in improving their skill and just want to fall over a bit less on the way to the cafe, I think it's very much a good thing on a legislative scale. Plus you can always just pull out the fuse and put hairs on your chest that way.

I also think if people knew how abs actually works and what it specifically does they'd be a lot less fussed, ditto for traction control. Unfortunately something being automatic and computerized is parsed by most people as it being literal magic that prevents you ever crashing. I presume this is why I see modern cars with automatic headlights driving around in the dusk with no lights on - the little auto headlight switch is a tiny magic wizard, it says auto right there, why would I need to pay attention to whether the lights are on or not? That's the whole point of auto! Same with abs - I don't need any skill, the little magic abs wizard will take care of it for me! I guess the eu has decided that line of thought should be policy idk.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 16, 2021

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Legislation depends on legislation. As long as motorcycle licensing doesn't require the hundreds of hours on a motorbike it takes to develop both judgement and also instinctual brake behaviour that isn't "I need to stop right giving now let's just squeeze the lever as hard as possible", mandatory ABS makes sense to prevent a certain amount of accidents.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

pun pundit posted:

Legislation depends on legislation. As long as motorcycle licensing doesn't require the hundreds of hours on a motorbike it takes to develop both judgement and also instinctual brake behaviour that isn't "I need to stop right giving now let's just squeeze the lever as hard as possible", mandatory ABS makes sense to prevent a certain amount of accidents.

It's true, and following those dominoes back up the chain leads to.... conclusions outside of the scope of a motorbike newbie thread.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Slavvy posted:

A small dual sport makes abs basically redundant anyway, you can lock the front 420 erryday and never get close to actually crashing. I firmly believe nobody should learn on an abs bike, but also all big bikes should probably have mandatory abs.

It's difficult because saying this triggers a certain kind of person but there really is immense value in not having abs but only when it's coupled with practice and a determination to learn and improve. So on an individual level I think abs is at best neither good nor bad, at worst it holds you back.

But vecause most people aren't interested in improving their skill and just want to fall over a bit less on the way to the cafe, I think it's very much a good thing on a legislative scale. Plus you can always just pull out the fuse and put hairs on your chest that way.

I also think if people knew how abs actually works and what it specifically does they'd be a lot less fussed, ditto for traction control. Unfortunately something being automatic and computerized is parsed by most people as it being literal magic that prevents you ever crashing. I presume this is why I see modern cars with automatic headlights driving around in the dusk with no lights on - the little auto headlight switch is a tiny magic wizard, it says auto right there, why would I need to pay attention to whether the lights are on or not? That's the whole point of auto! Same with abs - I don't need any skill, the little magic abs wizard will take care of it for me! I guess the eu has decided that line of thought should be policy idk.

Well to be fair I do consider control technology "little wizards", because these feedback-looped systems can make decisions and inputs in a timeframe that is simply impossible for a human. In a 1:1 contest, the computer will always win. But you are also right that there are many situations where the computer isn't magically able to solve an unsolvable problem and rider skill would be much more valuable. But usually this is down to having to avoid those exact circumstances that caused a stalemate in the first place.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SEKCobra posted:

Well to be fair I do consider control technology "little wizards", because these feedback-looped systems can make decisions and inputs in a timeframe that is simply impossible for a human. In a 1:1 contest, the computer will always win. But you are also right that there are many situations where the computer isn't magically able to solve an unsolvable problem and rider skill would be much more valuable. But usually this is down to having to avoid those exact circumstances that caused a stalemate in the first place.

I can think of two situations where abs is undisputably better:

- car very suddenly pulls out of a hidden driveway or whatever, you don't have time to preload the fork and just slam the stoppers, abs makes you less likely to crash by falling over but doesn't guarantee you can stop

- diesel spill or similar in a braking zone, you won't stop any better or sooner (it may even be later!) but you also won't lock up and fall over, depending on circumstances this may or may not be a good outcome

In every other situation, being able to brake properly is better. Even if you have abs, you don't magically get maximum braking every time - a rider who understands weight transfer and has practice using the brakes smoothly and decisively will absolutely outperform a lever basher with the same abs system, and by a big margin too. The point is, the '1:1 contest' doesn't really exist, there's no such thing, because basically all braking situations are initiated by the rider and their starting conditions set by him/her.

Also: not all abs is created equal. The type you would find on a learner bike is usually the barest minimum needed to tick the box and can be outperformed by a rider surprisingly easily - I was shocked the first time I trail braked in my habitual way (I think it was a cb500?) and suddenly found myself on the other side of the road because the abs threshold was ridiculously low and it took away all the braking force. Since then I've made a habit of testing abs and tc systems whenever I can and it turns out the quality of operation varies wildly, not to mention some bikes are much more suited to it from a chassis standpoint.

More skilled riders than me complain about abs wrecking the ability to trail brake on the track but you'd need a lot of grip and a lot of speed to test this, I have no doubt it's true.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Hell even I have managed to outperform the ABS a few times. By about a bike length stopping from 50mph or so so it's pretty marginal and not consistent but I know it's possible.
Most of my two wheel braking experience comes from bicycles, so I'm pretty used to threshold braking, locking up the front for a bit without falling and such. Since I swapped all my brake handles on all my bikes to front-right configuration it's a skill that translates at least a little bit, especially on my fairly fast electric MTB commuter bike with suspension and fat tires that don't load up quite as fast as my other pedal bikes. Where I realize I really suck on an MC is with the rear brake. I'm simply not good (yet) at modulating brake pressure with my foot on a bike, or knowing intuitively how much useful grip there is on the rear at any given moment.

But yeah, the two cases where I think it's decidedly very good to have is in cases of unforeseen lack of grip or an unexpected emergency where the rider isn't capable of thinking clearly. Even a very skilled rider can't foresee everything, or perform at the top of his/her skill level all the time. I'm talking road riding here and not track, obviously.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Slavvy posted:

I can think of two situations where abs is undisputably better:

- car very suddenly pulls out of a hidden driveway or whatever, you don't have time to preload the fork and just slam the stoppers, abs makes you less likely to crash by falling over but doesn't guarantee you can stop

- diesel spill or similar in a braking zone, you won't stop any better or sooner (it may even be later!) but you also won't lock up and fall over, depending on circumstances this may or may not be a good outcome

In every other situation, being able to brake properly is better. Even if you have abs, you don't magically get maximum braking every time - a rider who understands weight transfer and has practice using the brakes smoothly and decisively will absolutely outperform a lever basher with the same abs system, and by a big margin too. The point is, the '1:1 contest' doesn't really exist, there's no such thing, because basically all braking situations are initiated by the rider and their starting conditions set by him/her.

Also: not all abs is created equal. The type you would find on a learner bike is usually the barest minimum needed to tick the box and can be outperformed by a rider surprisingly easily - I was shocked the first time I trail braked in my habitual way (I think it was a cb500?) and suddenly found myself on the other side of the road because the abs threshold was ridiculously low and it took away all the braking force. Since then I've made a habit of testing abs and tc systems whenever I can and it turns out the quality of operation varies wildly, not to mention some bikes are much more suited to it from a chassis standpoint.

More skilled riders than me complain about abs wrecking the ability to trail brake on the track but you'd need a lot of grip and a lot of speed to test this, I have no doubt it's true.

Yes and no. I agree that there will never really be that 1:1 contest, but there are critical situations that can't necessarily be avoided by pure foresight where the automatic modulation vastly outperforms any human response. Regardless, in many other situation you can obviously safely 'outperform' ABS by disregarding the margins it has to play within.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

You'll be fine with a small bike without ABS to learn on.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

When i was doing my lessons, i did them on a cb500f with abs.
The instructor didn't mind if you made the ABS actuate, but he did pay very close attention to the way you get on the brakes. Just squeezing the poo poo out of them and letting the bike figure it out was a fail.
Letting the frony wheel take up the load, and then squeezing as hard as needed or until the ABS dtarts working, is how i learned it.
On tarmac, the ABS didn't often actuate, but on a parking lot with some sand and paved with stones it was quite easy to trigger it.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Aug 17, 2021

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Steakandchips posted:

You'll be fine with a small bike without ABS to learn on.

Probably. But statistically I'm significantly less likely to die or get seriously injured with ABS. If I had no wife or children I would probably take my chances but I don't think I'm gonna as things are. I think I'd rather stretch my self-imposed first bike budget upwards a grand or so and get that ninja 300 or R3 or CB500(x?) or something along those lines. There's a few ninjas and an R3 within geographical range priced a little too high to sell and the odds of getting one of those at a more reasonable price I'm willing to pay probably improve as the weather worsens. I figure I can probably sell such a bike without making a big loss in a year or two or whenever I'm ready for something else unless I wreck it, and it's not like it's huge money anyways in the grand scheme of things. It's just that my personal play money fund got severely depleted from riding lessons and gear and some tools I bought recently.

I just had a really weird conversation. I contacted a previously close friend from long ago whom I haven't been properly in touch with for years, since I knew he rides and wanted to hear his opinion on a few things. We talked for a bit and he's like "I just bought a harley so you can totally borrow my old 2007 BMW R 1200 GS ADV to tide you over until you get your own bike". It's an extremely generous offer but I don't think I'd be very happy on a beastly thing like that. I think I'd still like to try it if only briefly on a parking lot or something though since it would expand my understanding of bikes, which people have told me is good for a newbie.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aren’t there different variants of ABS too? Like the ABS you’ll get on a consumer grade Kawasaki will be fine in a straight line when you’re upright, but the stuff you get on a 30k ducati will do some more “magic” if you’re leaned over in a corner or something. I seem to remember someone mentioning something about that in a youtube I was watching at one point but I can’t be sure I got it right.

Not that the point doesn’t stand that it’s not magic.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
I'm a ways off from saving enough to buy a bike, but since this is the current discussion, I thought I'd join.

I used to ride a little bit about 5-ish years ago, but not much. I got hit by crippling depression about a month after buying my bike and at a certain point I didn't feel safe on something with the ability to kill myself. I'm better now, and I really really miss the feeling of riding. I've dreamed about getting back into it all this time.

I had newbie brain at the time, so I got an Yamaha R125, which was a terrible idea. The ergos were painful after an hour and a half, and being super short and not able to put my feet down properly gave me anxiety. I'm planning to buy a 125 to get back into it slowly and learn on. My wife is also interested in getting into riding with me, although she's more interested in off-road and on-road. I think it makes sense to get a 125 we both ride, then when I upgrade to something else it'll be her bike.

Do 125 dual sports make sense? Are they fun, and can they actually handle (gentle, beginner) off-roading? Should I put crash bars on them or are they generally robust enough not to worry about it?

I'd appreciate suggestions for good choices, used and preferably affordable.

I'm eyeing an early 2000s Yamaha TW125 that's near me, but it'll probably sell by the time I can afford it in a month or two. There's also a comedy option 80s Aprilia Tuareg 125 and I kinda love the look, but I imagine it will be a handful and also it would be a shame to crack the pretty plastics when we drop it. Anything else I should keep an eye out for?

As an alternative, since she likes it too, how are CBR125Rs as a road bike? The ergonomics seem a lot more gentle than my old Yamaha and the Repsol livery owns, but then again I'm afraid of cracking the plastics.

I know this post is very scatterbrained. Part of it is I'm trying to sort out my thoughts by putting them into words.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m not going to talk poo poo about a 125cc bike but if I was going to start over and had to have one bike for all occasions I would probably get a 200 or 250cc. It might be down to the individual bike, but everything I see/read says that a lot of 125s “can” reach highway speeds, but whether it’s an enjoyable experience and sustainable at all is debatable. Highway speeds aren’t everything but I guess pretty representative of an “all around” bike. If I could only have one, I’d certainly want it to be capable of higher speeds if the need should arise, within reason. My basis of comparison is the Ninja 250 which is just fine on the highway at cruising speeds, though you won’t be doing any aggressive overtaking.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Aren’t there different variants of ABS too? Like the ABS you’ll get on a consumer grade Kawasaki will be fine in a straight line when you’re upright, but the stuff you get on a 30k ducati will do some more “magic” if you’re leaned over in a corner or something. I seem to remember someone mentioning something about that in a youtube I was watching at one point but I can’t be sure I got it right.

Yes, there is basic ABS that just looks at wheel speed and compares the two. When one slows down and the other doesn’t, it’s time to ABS until number go up, repeat.

Then there is ABS with a 6-axis imu that can tell if the bike is leaned over, in a wheelie, etc. they can also apply different ABS profiles to the different drive modes, so the ABS acts differently if the bike is in wet mode or something like that.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
The reason for the 125 is licensing. I have a driving licence, and I did motorcycle training, but got hit with depression before finishing a licence. I plan on doing the full licence in the near future, but I'd like to have something to practice on in the meantime. Same goes with the wife; she'll feel more comfortable doing real training after I teach her the basics in parking lots and such.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you're not artificially restricted to 125cc or below I'd still look at a 200+. The "extra" power shouldn't be noticeable during training, it'll probably be pretty tame but not enough that you'll feel annoyed by it if you decide to do some light touring, etc. I'd personally look at Yamaha's line of TW200s, maybe XT225 or XT250. But also if you're limited by budget then that would obviously be a deciding factor for you.

I'm also speaking out of my rear end and I'll let someone with more info take over.

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
The CBR125R I think delivers a fair amount of hp per engine cc. Probably not much more out there unless you can find a two stroke.

It would be fun to ride around or learn on. I have two bikes. I'm on my 125cc the most. Just don't be weirded out by the weight of a bigger bike. I am still learning. Haven't had my license for a year.

SSH IT ZOMBIE fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 17, 2021

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Martytoof posted:

...I would probably get a 200 or 250cc...

Another gusty ride home today had me wishing I was on something a bit heavier than my little 125 cafe racer, as does making 45mph into a headwind. I feel like I'd genuinely be safer on a 250 sometimes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Please remember that a bike's reported top speed is not the speed at which you can comfortably cruise. That Yamaha 125 has a top speed of 75 mph, which means that at 75 you are lying flat on the tank with the engine at redline and it probably took you a couple of minutes to get there.

The bike is probably happiest cruising at around half that speed, 35 to 40 or so.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I remember when I was tooling around on a Honda Grom getting to ~75 kph would be relatively quick but then it would take what felt like forever to hit its top speed of ~110 kph. I enjoyed the Grom quite a bit more than the CBR300 I rode after. The best thing I can say is that the CBR300 was definitely a motorcycle, no doubt about that!

The CBR300 had 0-100 kph times and cruising speed more in line with the average car though so it could actually be taken on a lot more roads but still not punchy enough that its like "oh the corner is here, already, oh poo poo."

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 17, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

C-abs tied to an IMU like silly balls says. Even there, there are varying levels of quality. They are all made by Bosch, and Bosch set the system up for your bike. So you, Honda, build a pre-production fireblade to give to Bosch who then customize the system to your bike. This costs money. The more time you spend on this process, the more 'perfect' the abs and tc can be made. That time also costs money. Then you can also design your bike specifically to take advantage of the system in a bunch of ways, this involves a feedback loop of time and money.

Now examine what a bmw s1000 costs vs a zx10. The quality and subtleness of the electronic aids is roughly proportionate to that.

SSH IT ZOMBIE posted:

The CBR125R I think delivers a fair amount of hp per engine cc. Probably not much more out there unless you can find a two stroke.

It would be fun to ride around or learn on. I have two bikes. I'm on my 125cc the most. Just don't be weirded out by the weight of a bigger bike. I am still learning. Haven't had my license for a year.

I had a cbr125. Yes it has 13hp but only between 10-12000rpm, it isn't really fun.

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

The reason for the 125 is licensing. I have a driving licence, and I did motorcycle training, but got hit with depression before finishing a licence. I plan on doing the full licence in the near future, but I'd like to have something to practice on in the meantime. Same goes with the wife; she'll feel more comfortable doing real training after I teach her the basics in parking lots and such.

Pretty much every 125 is quantitatively identical. So the winning strategy is to either get the cheapest thing you can find, thrash it to death and get a bigger bike asap OR get a really nice one, try not to crash it and sell it for a similar value later, losing only a few hundred in the process.

I've been where you are a lot. Depression has given your the idea you can't possibly cope with twelve horsepower, that's nonsense, if you are an adult with four functioning limbs you could race a 125 for a season and never get hurt. Your r125 was clearly ergonomically not great but it's a perfect bike for learning in every other way. I think it you want to have a bike you can functionally use for stuff besides just zipping around and getting a license, you'd really be better off with a 250 enduro of some kind.

What sometimes worked for me if I felt really bad and like I was never going to get my head around riding: drooling inbreeds ride 300kg Harleys, badly, all the time, and only crash occasionally despite having no skills and garbage equipment, because they believe in themselves. You are a person who is actually applying their thinkmeat to the problem, you already have a massive advantage out of the box, as soon as you shake off the initial trepidation it'll be amazing.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Is there any reason I shouldn't get a 2015 CRB300R compared to say a ninja300 or an R3? (I'm 184cm so not super tall but not short either if that makes any difference.)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Not really. The cbr is a single cylinder, the other two are twins. All things being equal (and they pretty much are in this case) a single will be really punchy off the bottom and start to wheeze at higher engine speeds, the twins will have a little more punch up top and a wider spread of power, but they're also heavier. So one is slightly better from a stop and at low speeds, the other a little better on the open road, but the differences are miniscule and irrelevant compared to the jump to even a 400cc bike. I'm pretty tall and skinny and I found the cbr the most pleasant as the Yamaha has the usual Yamaha cramped leg angle close bars thing, the ninja has a slightly longer reach to the bars. Again these are tiny differences, try them all if you can.

Get the one that physically fits you the best and has the best combination of mileage, condition, cost etc. All three would serve you perfectly well.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 17, 2021

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Thanks. I sent the seller a message, maybe something comes of it.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

So, what is it called when your bike (125 Yamaha EFI engined AJS Cadwell) gets all revvy sometimes?

Towards the end of a 20 mile ride, when the engine is warm, it sometimes idles at 4k rpm (1.5k is normal) and then loses power if I have slowed down and need to speed up again. When it loses power the engine revs drop even though the throttle is open. When it's cold it doesn't have this problem. Most noticeable after I have had to wait at a junction for a while or when I have done some (light) engine breaking on downhills.

I have switched away from E10 petrol to E5 and that hasn't done anything. Will be changing the oil as its run in now. What else should I do? Feels like it could be the EFI, does something need cleaning? Am I running lean or rich?

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 18, 2021

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Firstly, if it's just run in, it sounds like it's brand new. First try and claim warranty.

If that's not applicable, get a can of carburetor or (flamable) brake cleaner, and puff it around gaskets, air hoses etc. If revs go up, you found an air leak.
It might be that two mating surfaces are warping when hot, and then start leaking.

Before you do all that, take out the spark plug and see what it looks like. It should be a light brown color. If it's wet and/or sooty, the bike is running rich. If the electrodes have a white sheen, it may be running way too lean.

It could also be a sensor issue, but that's a whole other can of worms.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Got some soft bags and doing a bit of a weekend road trip this weekend!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

GuestBob posted:

So, what is it called when your bike (125 Yamaha EFI engined AJS Cadwell) gets all revvy sometimes?

Towards the end of a 20 mile ride, when the engine is warm, it sometimes idles at 4k rpm (1.5k is normal) and then loses power if I have slowed down and need to speed up again. When it loses power the engine revs drop even though the throttle is open. When it's cold it doesn't have this problem. Most noticeable after I have had to wait at a junction for a while or when I have done some (light) engine breaking on downhills.

I have switched away from E10 petrol to E5 and that hasn't done anything. Will be changing the oil as its run in now. What else should I do? Feels like it could be the EFI, does something need cleaning? Am I running lean or rich?

That sounds like a textbook vacuum leak. Spray the intake area with starter fluid while it's running and see if anything changes, check really carefully that no vacuum lines have cracked or come unplugged or whatever. It could also be a faulty idle control valve if the bike has one but that would be very unusual for a near new bike.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

numberoneposter posted:

Got some soft bags and doing a bit of a weekend road trip this weekend!

good luck make sure they're secured well, my last pair got a hole burned through by the exhaust because i was too lazy to strap the bottoms down

another time a friend's strap failed and sucked them into the wheel and locked it at 55 mph

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

LimaBiker posted:

First try and claim warranty.

The dealership that sold it to me did so with an outstanding recall on the CBS (combined braking system), so I am in discussion with the manufacturer at the moment - if they don't let me warranty service the bike at another dealership I have a consumer rights ambulance chaser standing ready. Simply don't trust anyone who'd do that and don't want them to have anymore business on my account. The dealer also (as far as I can see) didn't PDI the bike and intentionally rounded off the sump plug, for reasons only known to them, but that's not something that anyone can do anything about apart from me and my giant stilson wrench.

Basically, I want to fix this one myself and thanks for the helpful suggestions: my immediate thought was "EURO 4 means that cheap bikes now have even cheaper EFI and that's what's going to fail" but if it isn't that, I'll be happy.

Shame, because I don't think it's anything chronic and the bike is quite nice to ride most of the time. I'm 5'8" and don't like tall bikes - Royal Enfield for me next I think.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 18, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Instead of an enfield, why not get a good bike? A royal Enfield won't be a better experience, it sounds like you got the typical dealer experience but I can assure you it's much worse when they're selling you a bike that wasn't made properly to start with.

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Slavvy posted:

see if anything changes

Such as... revs? Coughs and splutters? Wind direction?

Sorry, but it'd be helpful to know - if it helps, I am a fully certified bicycle mechanic :downs:

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Slavvy posted:

Instead of an enfield, why not get a good bike? A royal Enfield won't be a better experience, it sounds like you got the typical dealer experience but I can assure you it's much worse when they're selling you a bike that wasn't made properly to start with.

Because I throb for the days of the British Raj.

[edit] Actually, it's because sidecar and Ural aren't legal in the UK anymore.

Also, for below, poo poo has changed alot with Royal Enfield recently - or so the Youtubes have it.

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

At an event once long ago, I ran into another guy carrying around a motorcycle helmet (having a motorcycle remains the number 1 way to meet random dudes) and he was talking about his Royal Enfield he'd had, said his experience with it was they're decent bikes once you replace all the Enfield parts with bits from other manufacturers.

That's my anecdotal second/third hand two cents on Royal Enfields!