Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

g-c posted:

Certain fights require the tank to use it? how am I supposed to know lmao

Either someone will know BUT lately these fights all have really big tells and a message like “overcome this trial by exceeding your limits!” Across the screen and in the chat box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah the first few times it happened you just got hosed if you didn't know ahead of time but recently they've been making it so an attentive tank can sight read the lb

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

RME posted:

Either someone will know BUT lately these fights all have really big tells and a message like “overcome this trial by exceeding your limits!” Across the screen and in the chat box

Though there's also a fight Omega that says "you will need to use your own resources for further protection" and it just means the healers need to be awake for a raidwide because the shield you put up isn't full immunity.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

My UI:

The goal is to keep things pretty simple. I turned off or shrunk down a lot of stuff that seemed unnecessary to 99% of the time I'm playing (gil, experience bar, inventory grid).

I absolutely loathe having a bunch of clutter for all my jobs so I have a macro that turns off/on bars 8, 9, and 10 so that I only have to view them when I'm changing jobs:

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Here's my UI with all the big buttons:

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

I made a pair of dumb macros to switch classes, but for some reason the /gs part of it only seems to work about 50% of the time. I'll do the pose, but won't always switch gearsets.

code:
/micon "Soul of the Monk" item
/hudlayout 1
/brpa <wait.2>
/gs change 1 <wait.2>
/ac "Fists of Wind"

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This is how my job change macros work.

The icons on the left bar open up DoH/L, DoW and DoM classes, then switching closes the opened hotbar.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

I mostly play Red Mage so my UI is set up for that job primarily. Most of it is centered around the mana gauge. I have my Verstone and Verfire procs placed under their mana bars and Jolt II next to it to remind me when I'm in 80 content and oh hey maybe you want to remember to use your super cool 80 finisher.

My important cooldowns are just to the left of the gauge. My status info, split out, is below.

Above my hotbar block is my target info, target castbar (scaled way up), target status, personal castbar and limit break. Thinking now I probably should have included that in the screenshot but i'm too lazy to go find a target dummy and nothing there is very new and original.

To the right are the handful of abilities I just click. Verraise and Lucid. If I'm raising I'm also clicking the party list which is right below those two so it's quick to select the target and click raise. Lucid is also right there since raising is the only time I worry about mana so I frequently pop that after the raise.

To the left is my macroed hotbar setup. Clicking most of the bottom row will toggle and change the top row to combat jobs, dol and doh jobs, glamour links, text because i'm a terrible typer, emotes, more emotes and three of my saved uis - the current one, a version with much larger hotbars for jobs i'm learning still and one with most of the ui hidden.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

why isn't your sweater red

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I play red mage almost exclusively. A lot of my glams are red but i'm not sticking to just red because that's super boring.

I also don't wear hats a lot of the time! :devil:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I've got a pretty basic UI. I've thought about maybe adjusting it, but it works well enough as is. The main thing is I might put on a minimal UI macro for Endwalker story stuff.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Sunday Morning posted:

I play red mage almost exclusively. A lot of my glams are red but i'm not sticking to just red because that's super boring.

I also don't wear hats a lot of the time! :devil:

please delete your job crystal :argh:

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

SirSamVimes posted:

please delete your job crystal :argh:

I'm the Warrior of Light. Ain't no one gonna tell me how to dress! I could show up in a snowman outfit and Kann-E-Senna isn't going to blink an eye.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sunday Morning posted:

I'm the Warrior of Light. Ain't no one gonna tell me how to dress! I could show up in a snowman outfit and Kann-E-Senna isn't going to blink an eye.

Snow is basically dazzle camo for kneecaps

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

SirSamVimes posted:

This is how my job change macros work.

The icons on the left bar open up DoH/L, DoW and DoM classes, then switching closes the opened hotbar.

How do you make sub-bars like that?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You can enable them in the UI interface. The interface is surprisingly robust and lets you pick the number size and location of your hotbars.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bruceski posted:

How do you make sub-bars like that?

Those are actually just regular hotbars, but I made a macro to open/close them and positioned them next to the macro button.

code:
/hotbar display 9
Also, the actual job change macros:

code:
/snap <wait.1>
/micon 1 gearset
/gs change 1
/hotbar display 9
What this does is that it does the /snap emote and waits 0.1 seconds, and then changes my gear set (which occurs just as the actual fingersnap happens, this is extremely important), then closes the hotbar.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

SirSamVimes posted:

code:
/snap <wait.1>
What this does is that it does the /snap emote and waits 0.1 seconds...

The macro is fine and cool and good but just so you're aware in case that wasn't a typo: the <wait.N> modifier and the /wait N command will round decimals to the nearest integer. You can only ever wait for whole seconds in a macro step. In <wait.1> the dot is part of the syntax rather than a decimal separator.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Ah I like UI stuff!

Right-side macros are for expanding/collapsing jobs, party signs, switching the three-hotbar setup for a cross hotbar, and controlling the master sound (I change this a lot apparently). Generally try to keep all my hotbars centred; even though it's probably better to have some HUD elements more central, the way it looks just ends up bothering me.

For skills I usually have Q, Alt+Q, Shift+Q as my primary rotation, with Alt+1-4 as cooldown buffs, E as movement abilities, R as healing/recovery abilities, T for ranged, and F/Alt+F/Shift+F for AoEs. RDM (as displayed) works a little differently so it's kinda unique in my setups.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Bruceski posted:

At that point, it pretty much is. (spoiling since it's the newbie thread, not going into detail about anything after 3.3) He's got big dreams and a passion/bankroll that got others to go along with it, but they blew up in his face because he thought everyone else shared his ideals. Heavensward was his growth story after the Banquet kicked him as low as he's ever gotten, and his moment at the end of 3.2 where he's all "we have to try to save Estinien, if only because nobody else will" is his turning point, recognizing that something is naive but choosing to do it anyway. ARR Alphinaud had the right voice for the character he was at the time.

The story is so drat good, MMO or no

People gush over Shadowbringers but the writing gets into gear by the end of ARR tbh

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

My bars are kind of a mess, though I do keep all my static bars that are full of clutter small, at least. I could definitely condense things a bit, make it easier to spot things coming off of cooldown, but it works well enough. I do love how you can change the shape of hotbars, even beyond just making them vertical, it's nice having a little cluster of buttons.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So, I went ahead and unlocked Dark Knight, realized that my lowbie STR gear was non-existent, and bought some cheapass catchup armor from the vendor in Ishgard, but couldn’t find a similar vendor for jewelry/accessories there; the one I did find only sold level 50-60 stuff. Any ideas where I can find a lowbie catchup vendor for that stuff?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

You can buy accessories from merchants in the three main cities.

Edit: but not high level ones for some reason, just the crap lowbie ones.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 17, 2021

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Waffleman_ posted:

I've got a pretty basic UI. I've thought about maybe adjusting it, but it works well enough as is. The main thing is I might put on a minimal UI macro for Endwalker story stuff.

I really enjoy having a minimal HUD. You spend so much of your time just trodding about, maybe fighting one or two basic enemies at a time, and you really don’t need most of your UI for that.

Here’s what I use 90% of the time I’m not in an instance:

The cross hotbar automatically unhides when you press L2/R2, so I still have access to that. Otherwise I do all my questing, exploring, and basic fighting like this. I have a macro bound that toggles exp bar/duty list/gil/server info/etc. so I can see those at any time but they don’t add clutter.

My instance UI:

Highly recommend the giant target cast bar at center screen. For healing, I have a slight tweak on this with the party list larger and more centered (basically where the enemy list is here).

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

MCH is getting pretty cool, got myself a little turret buddy. Dealing witha lot of weird daddy issues.

Slowed down a bit to start the kobold tribe quest.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Haha, nice. I've got my normal HUD and my story HUD and a macro to switch between each, as well as a macro to toggle the duty list when I have story on.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Here is my HUD setup. If my hotbars look weird it is because I use a Logitech G13 to play. I have a set of macros that switch my HUD between "Clean mode" and "Combat mode" whenever I draw/sheath my weapon. For tanking and healing I use a second HUD set that moves the party HP bars closer to the center of the screen so I can see them easier. Like some others I've got a set of utility hotbars where I can push one of the main hotbar buttons and it copys/transfers a bunch of buttons over to a secondary set of hotbars. You can see my emote hotbar set open in the center screenshot.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I don't go hyper-minimalist on my UI, but I'm playing at 1440p resolution so I've got a lot of real estate to play with.

- standard non-instance

- standard instance

- combat, instanced version (special)

Basically the center of the screen I leave open as much as possible. I have the MSQ panel (far upper left) hidden right now, as well as my EXP bar (bottom under HP/MP) since I'm not leveling anything. Duty list auto-hides in normal 4/8/24 man instances. You can see some of the extra UI widgets available in certain content in the third picture. Personal buffs/debuffs are split across the top of the screen but also show on the party list.

Also since I'm using controller, I have the W cross hotbar (WXHB) set to always-display, so those flank my main hotbar at like 80% the size of the main one; I typically use these slots for cooldowns so I always know when they're back up.

I don't do anything otherwise significant in terms of combat versus out of combat UI, hiding hotbars when out of combat, etc; since I'm at a high enough resolution and they're down at the bottom it doesn't interfere with my view. Nor do I do the thing that some folks do with having a giant oversized enemy cast bar in the center, or bigger party/enmity lists, or anything.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

squirrelzipper posted:

Ok but I don't know that I buy it needs a whole re-write to fix. Like having just finished it, there's a bunch of stuff there that could be distilled into 1 or 2 cut-scenes. THere's no XP to speak of and we're all over 50 at this point. I don't know that I buy that a re-write is necessary. Work? Yes. Complete redo? No. Editing.

I just finished ARR and holy poo poo is this ever true. I was shocked to find out that it had already been edited to any extent, because I counted easily two dozen quests in which I wondered out loud something like "oh well thank god the loving Warrior of Light is around to hand out uniforms to the new recruits, they certainly couldn't have found literally anyone else or maybe a donkey to do this"

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I just finished ARR and holy poo poo is this ever true. I was shocked to find out that it had already been edited to any extent, because I counted easily two dozen quests in which I wondered out loud something like "oh well thank god the loving Warrior of Light is around to hand out uniforms to the new recruits, they certainly couldn't have found literally anyone else or maybe a donkey to do this"

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
It may not be the case as much early on since it takes a while for your reputation to grow, and some instances of it may have been pruned, but they do lean into the fact that the WoL being willing to do gruntwork or mingle with the common soldier is actually a big morale booster.

Edit: for the Eorzeans, obviously maybe not as much for the player.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tortolia posted:

It may not be the case as much early on since it takes a while for your reputation to grow, and some instances of it may have been pruned, but they do lean into the fact that the WoL being willing to do gruntwork or mingle with the common soldier is actually a big morale booster.

Yeah. It's explicitly part of the story that that kind of gruntwork and helping anyone who asks, no matter how humble, is just what the WoL does and a huge part of what makes her a hero.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

I mean, it works that way in real life too, generally. Whether it's a PR stunt or not, you'll tend to be warmer to like a mayor who stayed in the flooded city and handed out supplies than the mayor who left town and is supposedly "figuring out the best plan."

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Hi, I got talked into trying the game and now I want to buy jt.

I started the free trial off Steam, but I want to get everything on Steam. Can I use my same character/account if I buy everything on Steam?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

nordichammer posted:

Hi, I got talked into trying the game and now I want to buy jt.

I started the free trial off Steam, but I want to get everything on Steam. Can I use my same character/account if I buy everything on Steam?

Yep, that's not a problem. The only issues arise when you try to go from steam to non-steam or vice-versa.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Yah I had the base game on steam from 2014 but i made a new account through the sqeenix store because the complete edition was 24 usd there instead of 40 on steam. Plus I would have had to sub right away instead of free trialing for a week to decide.

I would also rather buy the game directly so they get the full amount when I buy the new expansion instead of letting Valve get their piece.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Is Machinist generally about as squishy as Samurai is for questing?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Yah I had the base game on steam from 2014 but i made a new account through the sqeenix store because the complete edition was 24 usd there instead of 40 on steam. Plus I would have had to sub right away instead of free trialing for a week to decide.

I would also rather buy the game directly so they get the full amount when I buy the new expansion instead of letting Valve get their piece.

If you're buying everything off steam, then you won't be able to play on steam, since playing on steam requires a separate account (as far as I know). There's no real benefit to playing on steam, tbh.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Leraika posted:

If you're buying everything off steam, then you won't be able to play on steam, since playing on steam requires a separate account (as far as I know). There's no real benefit to playing on steam, tbh.

You get total hours played metric and you can cry about all the time you've lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You get that in game too. /playtime