Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Broken Cog posted:

If I give my tough, ugly melee pawn a stoneskin gland, will it make them so ugly that everyone hates them and they go insane?

Edit: I just set the stove to make simple meals until I have 10 if I'm playing as tribals, usually makes them go fast enough that they don't go bad, and raw plants can last a long time.

it shows as a social modifier in everyone's relationships, and can be offset by many various things. e.g. there are prettiness implants, and social impact clothing, and traits like Beautiful of course. Blindness also makes all of that have no impact at all (positive or negative) which is a massive plus for Blindsight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Broken Cog posted:

If I give my tough, ugly melee pawn a stoneskin gland, will it make them so ugly that everyone hates them and they go insane?

My mom says I have a nice personality :saddumb:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Danaru posted:

Theres a mod that makes sculptor pods more expensive, but takes out the bio tuning and drops the sculpting time to one day. Its... honestly a little too powerful and I'm thinking of removing it. Maybe if it kept the biotuning

Yeah, the binding seems like an important balance. Otherwise it would be the best item in the game by a mile.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

it still is the best item in the game by a mile imo

night slime
May 14, 2014

Nuclear War posted:

Even in space Americans put carpets everywhere

:smug:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

An important thing to remember about the biosculptor pods is that cleanliness has a huge affect on the time they take, a sterile room is like 20% faster which is really noticable when you're looking at a 5/10 day wait. The healing mode is super handy too since it's finally a vanilla method to handle scars and all it costs is some time and nutrition.

Also, if you're going transhumanist and making a pod for everyone keep in mind that you can just turn them off and save the power between uses. The cooldown doesn't decrease while they're unpowered but if you're making a pod per pawn anyway like you really need to then that doesn't really matter. And between the sleep accelerators and mental boosters you're still getting a net boost to productivity over the year even with a few days of downtime, so just be sure to stagger the rejuvenations and you're good to go.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."

Azhais posted:

meanwhile mine get whatever random sized room based on whatever constraints I was working with at the time

That terrain looks amazing! Which mods do you use for it?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

pew pew KABOOM :psyboom:

a trade caravan picked absolutely the best/worst time to come trade with us

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 16, 2021

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

:toot:

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Gauss rifles from vanilla expanded look super cool and are really good against bunched up things but gently caress I swear they're the leading cause of brain damage among my colonists. They shoot this long line, about 25 tiles or so, and everything in that line takes damage, including directly adjacent friendlies, or stuff behind walls. It's a mixed blessing but mostly bad outside of killbox situations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Velvet Witch posted:

That terrain looks amazing! Which mods do you use for it?

I've got every single vanilla expanded mod, so any actual terrain graphics are probably from the biomes expanded packs. The trees are from perspective trees:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2572022990

I've also got better vanilla masking which cleans up some graphics:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1736114368

metasynthetic posted:

Gauss rifles from vanilla expanded look super cool and are really good against bunched up things but gently caress I swear they're the leading cause of brain damage among my colonists. They shoot this long line, about 25 tiles or so, and everything in that line takes damage, including directly adjacent friendlies, or stuff behind walls. It's a mixed blessing but mostly bad outside of killbox situations.

they're amazing for raids since you can kill turrets from behind walls with zero chance of retaliation

Azhais fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 17, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

metasynthetic posted:

Yeah, they're very good if you have a corridor that everyone has to come at you down and no chance of targets from any other direction, but yeah real bad for friendly fire in any other situaiton.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

Azhais posted:

they're amazing for raids since you can kill turrets from behind walls with zero chance of retaliation

how did i not think of this

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Asimo posted:

An important thing to remember about the biosculptor pods is that cleanliness has a huge affect on the time they take, a sterile room is like 20% faster which is really noticable when you're looking at a 5/10 day wait. The healing mode is super handy too since it's finally a vanilla method to handle scars and all it costs is some time and nutrition.

Also, if you're going transhumanist and making a pod for everyone keep in mind that you can just turn them off and save the power between uses. The cooldown doesn't decrease while they're unpowered but if you're making a pod per pawn anyway like you really need to then that doesn't really matter. And between the sleep accelerators and mental boosters you're still getting a net boost to productivity over the year even with a few days of downtime, so just be sure to stagger the rejuvenations and you're good to go.

Yeah, this leads into two important tricks for Transhumanists looking to get through that midgame crunch: build a 2x3 sterile closet for your active pod, and uninstall your inactive pods. Use steel tiles for cleanliness if you can't afford proper sterile tile yet. Biosculptor pods are incredibly cheap for what they provide (120 steel is noticeable but affordable, 1 component is basically nothing), and since you'll have one per colonist sooner or later anyways there's no reason to deconstruct/rebuild them to reset the biotuning unless you're desperate for steel. Keeping them installed when inactive is just taking up way more space than necessary.

I find neuro-superchargers more of a pain in the rear end infrastructure-wise because they're effectively 1x4 (game won't let you share interaction spots) and are a constant 400w drain on the grid. Once you get over that midgame hump you can have a giant pod room with everything installed all the time for convenience but these two tips help a lot when things are still at a low enough scale.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

metasynthetic posted:

probably because it's like, top tier cheesy

isndl
May 2, 2012

metasynthetic posted:

I normally handle turrets by unpowering them, then you can pack them up and take them home with you!

Smokecloud psycast is pretty useful for this.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The obvious way to keep track of biopods is to put them in bedrooms but then it's very hard to also get the sterile bonus.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just built an aquarium for however many fishtanks I need for the colony. It doesn't need to be anything other than space for the pods and anything else you got that boosts clean.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I'm going to have look into seeing if you can set biopods to be a bed. Feels like that might make them tolerable in a transhumanist setup since you're going to be building so many of them, just have them act as a really high end bed so they server a continuous and useful purpose instead of a once a year week long dunk tank.

isndl
May 2, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

The obvious way to keep track of biopods is to put them in bedrooms but then it's very hard to also get the sterile bonus.

There's a new signpost mod that just came out which would probably help, just put floating labels wherever you need.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I don't know if it's a mod or an option but my pods all have names clearly on them like the beds so I don't know what the issue is. If you look at my screenshot you can see all the biopods next to the shuttle, all clearly labelled by the bonded colonist :shrug:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Azhais posted:

I don't know if it's a mod or an option but my pods all have names clearly on them like the beds so I don't know what the issue is. If you look at my screenshot you can see all the biopods next to the shuttle, all clearly labelled by the bonded colonist :shrug:

Yeah for small bases and a pod room that fits on one screen it's no problem, but someone with a fifty pawn base and decentralized pod storage out of necessity may want to leave themselves extra notes.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
That would be cool, the vanilla biopods have a lot of jank to how they actually work, and I'm playing with that one mod that was mentioned but it swings too far the other direction. It would be nice to have a happy medium. Really the biotuning mechanic should just be outright deleted, maybe countered by upping the building cost / electricity considerably. Even with having removed biotuning via mod, I still want multiples so that I can handle emergency situations or otherwise have parallel capacity.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Hey, for anyone that's done the "sell your base for 350k" thing, how do you send your 5 to the new site? Is it a standard shuttle with a weight limit, or do you get to choose an arbitrary 5 colonists and 5 t-rexes and not have to worry about it?

As entertaining as it is to be Shrek and live in my swamp forever, I think I might do the sale but I need to figure out a plan (i.e. can I just make 3 M8 mechs and upload all my colonists to them despite that being a 12000lb colonist load)

isndl posted:

Yeah for small bases and a pod room that fits on one screen it's no problem, but someone with a fifty pawn base and decentralized pod storage out of necessity may want to leave themselves extra notes.

Eh, if you're that big does it even matter? They reset after 60 days, which is also the demand interval, so it's not like you'd be locking out two pods for more than a couple days if you accidently doubled up

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

you select 5 colonists with whatever they're wearing and carrying + whatever implants they had, and I think one animal, and they are podded into a new map. it's all done via menu picks, there is no shuttle loading involved (that would be cool if there was tbh). all your diplomatic relationships are reset, all your tech research is reset, although due to your well-developed colonists having a high cash value, any quest reward offers will be much better than a normal start. early raids will be larger and better equipped too.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Azhais posted:

Eh, if you're that big does it even matter? They reset after 60 days, which is also the demand interval, so it's not like you'd be locking out two pods for more than a couple days if you accidently doubled up

It does matter if you're doing unscheduled sculpts, like fixing up injuries on your combat pawns, or a happiness vacation for someone who just killed their parents in the last raid.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Infestations taught me a valuable lesson about how building kill boxes into stone isnt a good idea today. RIP 6 colonists.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Infestations taught me a valuable lesson about how building kill boxes into stone isnt a good idea today. RIP 6 colonists.

You deal with infestations by using a chokepoint stuffed with a melee tank as bait, not kill boxes. I don't know if you're talking about the infestation popped in your kill box or maybe they dug through from a bad angle but the problem isn't cutting out a kill box, it's that kill box had anything to do with fighting them.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I built this and then reloaded my save when it set in how pointless it would actually be as a spaceship since you don't get points for artistic merit

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

you select 5 colonists with whatever they're wearing and carrying + whatever implants they had, and I think one animal, and they are podded into a new map. it's all done via menu picks, there is no shuttle loading involved (that would be cool if there was tbh). all your diplomatic relationships are reset, all your tech research is reset, although due to your well-developed colonists having a high cash value, any quest reward offers will be much better than a normal start. early raids will be larger and better equipped too.

regarding the newgame+ stuff, it is possible to encounter (and maybe even recover!) your old colony's members later on, which is pretty rad imo:

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

It's very funny playing Transhumanists + drug life. They demand neural supercharging then light up some smokeleaf.

Daddio: Consciousness expanded

nessin posted:

You deal with infestations by using a chokepoint stuffed with a melee tank as bait, not kill boxes. I don't know if you're talking about the infestation popped in your kill box or maybe they dug through from a bad angle but the problem isn't cutting out a kill box, it's that kill box had anything to do with fighting them.

This is excellent info thank you.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Azhais posted:

Hey, for anyone that's done the "sell your base for 350k" thing, how do you send your 5 to the new site? Is it a standard shuttle with a weight limit, or do you get to choose an arbitrary 5 colonists and 5 t-rexes and not have to worry about it?

As entertaining as it is to be Shrek and live in my swamp forever, I think I might do the sale but I need to figure out a plan (i.e. can I just make 3 M8 mechs and upload all my colonists to them despite that being a 12000lb colonist load)

How it works is you lose everything but the 5 colonists you selected, everything they have installed in them, their empire ranks, and everything they have equiped.

So the colonists, their skills, their implants, their empire ranks, their one weapon they have equipped in their hands, and everything they're wearing.

This means you can't tell them to hold 4k silver or something because they'll lose that.

As for the life on the "new" spot, you get all material goods the game gave you when you crash landed according to your scenario, and in this new spot there's this archio tech pillar that causes anyone near it to take a mood penalty if they're close to it and not psychically deaf. You need to study the pillar by staring at it, then you need to ally another faction and then sell your base to them, then it repeats I think. I've only just started on it.

Dumbass me took 5 colonists, 2 of them were snowflakes that didn't want to do all kinds of work. But they were super augmented so almost everything got done super fast.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I just discovered a really broken mod combo which I am totally going to exploit (this one game) because its too much fun not to: Replimat uses a weird mass to volume conversion system of its own, instead of vanilla nutrition, to generate the meals it replicates. Vanilla Expanded pumpkins grow at 19 / 10.4 days... and weigh 1 kilo each, in comparison to the 30 grams most things do. 1.07 kilos coverts to 1 liter of foodstuff in the storage system. 1 gourmet grill provides 0.7 nutrition, and reduces hunger by 35% for 12 hours, so effectively .98 nutrition, and costs... 0.41 liters. It's like nutrient paste except tasty and the nutrition multiplier is something nuts like 4400%. Basically, 1 single planted pumpkin, under neutral growing conditions, can feed just over 2.5 colonists assuming normal hunger needs and no waste from hunger overfill. You could easily feed a 50 pawn base with 2 dozen plants and have lots leftover. I haven't even tested any of the other meal types. I guess maybe I should just have all my guys eat all gourmet dessert all the time because its not like I care about the reduced efficiency.

Kibble costs 14 grams so it's even more absurd there, although obviously you don't care about livestock for food anymore. I guess it's time to breed up 1000+ luciferbugs.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Bread Set Jettison posted:

It's very funny playing Transhumanists + drug life. They demand neural supercharging then light up some smokeleaf.

Daddio: Consciousness expanded

Weed is like weighted training clothes but for your brain maan

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Do High Lifers like Flake?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BattleMaster posted:

I built this and then reloaded my save when it set in how pointless it would actually be as a spaceship since you don't get points for artistic merit

thats dope

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SugarAddict posted:

How it works is you lose everything but the 5 colonists you selected, everything they have installed in them, their empire ranks, and everything they have equiped.

So the colonists, their skills, their implants, their empire ranks, their one weapon they have equipped in their hands, and everything they're wearing.

This means you can't tell them to hold 4k silver or something because they'll lose that.

Ah, thanks, I was planning out how best to carry a few things out, but guess I can stop. Just need to stuff my guys full of everyone else's bionics and upload the lads that didn't make the cut to the skycloud and see how it goes

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

The Lone Badger posted:

Do High Lifers like Flake?

yup, the moodlets just call it "High Life," it's more positive the more recently they've been high on something

starting out as a :catdrugs: ideo gives your pawns a negative moodlet for it from jump until you manage to get your first drugs in, processed, and toked. and you're almost going to have to start out with smokeleaf, since it requires no research to roll blunts at a crafting spot whereas even psychite tea needs you to crunch out 500 research, and yayo/flake require I think 600 each for Drug Production and then Psychite Refining.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
This refugee group arrived just after some recent guests and decided they found the perfect spot to hang out:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

RIR (rip in refugees)