Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Stereotype posted:

i'm super not okay with getting covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Party of small government, deregulation, and small business freedoms.

No not like that!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Asproigerosis posted:

Maintaining the icu vents wouldn't have any effect on the ability of an OR to pull out bullets. The services are completely different. If there was any serious risk of loss of function for his arm he'd be in surgery.

i bet the mri could pull those bullets out right quick

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

Grabnar posted:

There’s a lot of medical professionals in my family and social circles and they have all crack pinged in 1 of 2 ways, without exception.

1) They are Eric Crackl-Ping posting in this thread while self-medicating
Or
2) They’ve gone full brunch lib because “I’m just going to catch it at work anyway”

My husband tried to pull #2 on me when I asked him to stay masked at indoor residency events. he said, “you know I work at a hospital right??”

I asked, “oh, they got that same hospital HVAC system at [program director]’s house???? :colbert:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
I'm becoming more and more certain that the country is attempting to fix FICA via genocide and I'm not really exaggerating

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

is "knee industry" the trade term for the mob guys who bust kneecaps with baseball bats

Now THERE’S a customer-facing job I’d sign up for!

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Stereotype posted:

hawaii will lock down again, they're considering a curfew now but that isn't going to do anything but we have to make absolutely sure that our lovely nonsense half measures without even a working theory are indeed worthless before we can try the thing we already know works.

Last I heard about Hawaii it was from locals shouting at the top of their lungs to please stop going on vacation to Hawaii, we're full. Are they going to keep letting tourists in?

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
I got the J&J in March. Just got back from my second Pfizer. I am going to suck so much gently caress. Real talk tho, that was the most painless shot ever. I can't even tell where I was jabbed. If my arm isn't sore tomorrow, I'm gonna worry that I got bamboozled.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
was smallpox endemic at some point? i keep hearing people saying "well it's too late now, covid is endemic and we can never get rid of it ever" and, that's super depressing and doom and also not true? i know the deer all have it or something, but i can't believe how quickly everyone gave up after doing essentially nothing. our entire nation is apparently an ungovernable mob of deluded self-important lazy idiots.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Jesus Christ the Google Sheets doc has a school tab now?

Reading that tab makes me feel the same way I did when people doomspoke about ozone depletion 30 years ago.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ammanas posted:

There will never be another lockdown in the United States.

Hell, there never WAS a proper lockdown in the United States

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Der Meister posted:

all this is happening and not a peep about a lockdown

That's not going to happen. What we're doing now is an intentional exposure of everyone to Delta with the gamble being that it won't lead to widespread unrest and that it induces enough population immunity that covid becomes a background endemic disease with a death rate that can be normalized.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

:theroni:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Stereotype posted:

was smallpox endemic at some point? i keep hearing people saying "well it's too late now, covid is endemic and we can never get rid of it ever" and, that's super depressing and doom and also not true? i know the deer all have it or something, but i can't believe how quickly everyone gave up after doing essentially nothing. our entire nation is apparently an ungovernable mob of deluded self-important lazy idiots.

one of the things i think to really understand about covid is we see the horrifying death tallies, but really its a relatively non-lethal respiratory illness.

COVID doesn't burn out because it only kills a very small fraction of people. Delta is almost peak efficiency for virulence:lethality and its ability to infect literally everyone

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Schnorkles posted:

I'm becoming more and more certain that the country is attempting to fix FICA via genocide and I'm not really exaggerating

My conspiracy is that this is the pandemic was a convenient way to cull down the laborers for the ultra wealthy. They don't have to change their lifestyle or address climate change, just let a few million people die.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Never forget that you and your kids are being fed into the furnace for Number.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Lacrosse posted:

Last I heard about Hawaii it was from locals shouting at the top of their lungs to please stop going on vacation to Hawaii, we're full. Are they going to keep letting tourists in?

yeah but it's not their fault anymore. it's spreading all over the community and we don't really have any restrictions on anything.

I think the issue is going to be if they try to lock down the locals but not the tourists there's gonna be riots

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

the answer to "was <x> terrible virus endemic?" is usually no, it was lethal enough to burn itself out during epidemics.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

mod sassinator posted:

i bet the mri could pull those bullets out right quick

Bullets are pretty innocuous in the mri environment. Really only pay attention to them when they are immediately adjacent to critical structures like large vessels, spinal cord. I've scanned plenty of people that did not disclose the presence of bullets in their bodies.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Nothus posted:

That's not going to happen. What we're doing now is an intentional exposure of everyone to Delta with the gamble being that it won't lead to widespread unrest and that it induces enough population immunity that covid becomes a background endemic disease with a death rate that can be normalized.

uh i really dont think thats the plan because there is not any plan

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Hell, there never WAS a proper lockdown in the United States

Yeah, a proper lockdown is what China did; call out the loving military, checkpoints basically everywhere, deliver people free groceries. And it loving worked, so of course we can’t do that.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

My conspiracy is that this is the pandemic was a convenient way to cull down the laborers for the ultra wealthy. They don't have to change their lifestyle or address climate change, just let a few million people die.

same thing, really. you have this very inconvenient baby boomer bump which is causing all sorts of problems and a virus that's laser targeted in killing them

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Stereotype posted:

apparently it was so big that it killed the forums, which is weird for a thing that is over and also never existed and open biden
i cant believe the covid thread gave covid to the forums itself

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Killing your surplus laborers us a great way to give extra bargaining power to the survivors.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

mod sassinator posted:

lol i don't think we're going to make it past labor day without freezer morgue trucks in seattle

Wonder if they'll make a big show of throwing the bodies into them at the trucks down by Pike Place.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Stereotype posted:

for like thousands of years yeah, according to my earlier reading of the wikipedia article

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

DickParasite posted:

Killing your surplus laborers us a great way to give extra bargaining power to the survivors.

idk if the ones you're trying to kill are hanging on longer than they should and also completely destabilizing the series of small carrots you've handed out to keep non-capital pacified...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

That's literally the opposite of what rich people want. They want as big a labor pool as possible to keep costs down.

They don't care about climate change since they have residences worldwide and will be the last people on earth to feel any consequences.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1427416059536150532

192k cases, just under 85k hospitalized

LMAO how in the gently caress is the media completely silent on the magnitude of what's happening?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

corona familiar posted:

9 ambulance sirens since morning. i don't live next to a hospital. cool and normal

edit: 10

edit: 11

this was the shittiest part of this past winter for my mental health. just constant sirens

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i think the cold truth is that no one has a plan and millions of people are about to die

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Shear Modulus posted:

for like thousands of years yeah

i think we can draw a slight distinction between viruses that show up every year like clockwork (which COVID will be) and the more lethal variety which could burn themselves out.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Nothus posted:

Agreed. Quite the gamble though!

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

can't wait for COVID Omicron which, in addition to the respiratory problem, also preferentially targets the colon so you poo poo yourself to death

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Stereotype posted:

Yes but the development of the vaccinia-based vaccine which conferred sterilizing immunity coincided with the great public health campaigns of the 20th century and they were able to eradicate it. Neoliberal capitalism makes any public health measure beyond miniscule PR stunts impossible.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Stereotype posted:

yeah but it's not their fault anymore. it's spreading all over the community and we don't really have any restrictions on anything.

I think the issue is going to be if they try to lock down the locals but not the tourists there's gonna be riots

At some point it becomes the responsibility of the residents of an area to defend themselves. If the airlines won't stop bringing plague tourists to your island home, if your governor won't enforce two week quarantines on incoming visitors, if your state health authorities cannot stop contagion from spreading because new vectors are constantly being introduced to the population, then at some point drastic measures are merited.

Or you can say, "it's not their fault anymore, they're helpless victims," when they are not actually helpless.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1427416059536150532

192k cases, just under 85k hospitalized

LMAO how in the gently caress is the media completely silent on the magnitude of what's happening?

The media is focused on convincing everyone that it was a bad idea to leave Afghanistan. They'll open up a few slots for COVID pieces in a couple weeks.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Stereotype posted:

i think the cold truth is that no one has a plan and millions of people are about to die

there is a small group of people who mostly post in c-spam who are willing to remain closed up

the rest of the country is open biden and drat the consequences.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Stereotype posted:

it's this

certain people in power have "plans" but none of them are actually worth a drat because they keep trying to negotiate with a loving virus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Missouri seems to have leveled off so I guess either people are masking/staying home, or we ran out of tests.