Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

iirc the landed gentry just immediately put controls on wages and movement after the black death gave labor more power, soooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
I never said I was good at theorycrafting. I think their labor pool is large enough to sustain the hit. There's no incentive for them to act because in their heads, the pandemic will end eventually. They come out the side with reduced carbon emissions from the death, they didn't have to deal with much of the suffering their labor pool did, and maybe the rest of the serfs will just be too tired to even pursue some kind of justice. But again, I'm no expert.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Stereotype posted:

I think the issue is going to be if they try to lock down the locals but not the tourists there's gonna be riots

I seem to recall in March 2020 that locals went driving up and down through Waikiki and were intimidating the hanger-on tourists before we officially locked down.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
My vaxxed parents are gonna go spend three weeks traveling up and down the east coast visiting family. The trip includes four different days that include flights, one greyhound, and an amtrak leg.

I'm giving them a ride to the airport but for their return I'm gonna just drop off thier car in airport parking the morning of thier return flight because no way am I gonna transport them with even odds of being plague bearers.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

when in doubt, assume everything is much dumber than you think it could be

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Jon Irenicus posted:

iirc the landed gentry just immediately put controls on wages and movement after the black death gave labor more power, soooo

Lol yeah they made it illegal to move or to reject what the nobility offered

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Missouri seems to have leveled off so I guess either people are masking/staying home, or we ran out of tests.

test positivity is the proper way of knowing what's happening

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

skewetoo posted:

Lol yeah they made it illegal to move or to reject what the nobility offered

laws are for chumps.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Hm, Tennessee is apparently 70%+ positive that seems bad

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Nothus posted:

Massive lol that the same people who drove service workers away from jobs are now driving out nurses as they die of covid.

maybe we should do something collectively about these shitheads instead of going "the customer is always right"

the restaurant where I work is jointly owned by a bartender and a cook who spent their entire careers in the scene and they have absolutely zero problems throwing out troublemakers

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Schnorkles posted:

Hm, Tennessee is apparently 70%+ positive that seems bad

Up it a bit and they can save a lot of money on tests though. Just set up a sign at the testing center saying "if you can read this, you have COVID".

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Stereotype posted:

I don't understand how everyone is just resigned to get this deadly pandemic virus. viruses can be really bad! This is one of those! It fucks up your lungs really bad and those are important for a whole ton of things.

Easy now science man gonna have to simplify that a bit more

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pingui posted:

Here you go. NIH guidelines:

Reminder that Pneumovax prevents bacterial pneumonia and is also fairly easy to get at pharmacies if you can't get the COVID jabs

Kids can get either Prevnar or Pneumovax too depending on their age/preexisting conditions:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/pneumo/hcp/who-when-to-vaccinate.html

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

paperwind posted:

I seem to recall in March 2020 that locals went driving up and down through Waikiki and were intimidating the hanger-on tourists before we officially locked down.

yeah that was definitely a thing. plus people were ratting out tourists breaking the rules all the time, the state gave out a crazy amount of fines.

but i've heard a lot of people recently complain that we need the tourist money so we just have to live with the virus. as a note we can't do that, we can't live with a virus that overwhelms our hospitals, we have nowhere else to go. it's going to be really bad here, worse than in other places.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

I never said I was good at theorycrafting. I think their labor pool is large enough to sustain the hit. There's no incentive for them to act because in their heads, the pandemic will end eventually. They come out the side with reduced carbon emissions from the death, they didn't have to deal with much of the suffering their labor pool did, and maybe the rest of the serfs will just be too tired to even pursue some kind of justice. But again, I'm no expert.

So one thing of note is that we definitely aren't actually getting meaningfully reduced carbon emissions. You'd need to kill an enormous number of people to move the carbon needle. Ten or twenty million dead does nothing.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Pingui posted:

Up it a bit and they can save a lot of money on tests though. Just set up a sign at the testing center saying "if you can read this, you have COVID".

"if you don't have covid yet and you're standing in this room you probably will have covid by the time you get to this sign"

therefore the sign is always correct

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
Got my Only Trust Your Respirator shirt

Fits good, feels good

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

jetz0r posted:

Severe is basically ICU bed or ventilator level bad. Anything below that is mild or moderate.

Edit: nm I should finish reading all new post. Thanks for the responses and the links!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

uncertainty posted:

Thanks, do you have any kind of reference for this? Not bc I don't trust you but because I'm dealing with "it's really safe" people.

I posted a NIH guidelines link a bit further down from that post.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Business Gorillas posted:

unfortunately it's all customer-facing. if she's got some CS credentials, lmk because we're hiring for stuff like that too

she was manager of a retail store for several years before covid and currently is a CSR for blue cross blue shield working from home taking calls but the job pays nowhere near what you're talkin bout and she hates it so much it's ruining our lives lol so yea probably a good fit

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

uncertainty posted:

Edit: nm I should finish reading all new post. Thanks for the responses and the links!

moderate cases, in general, may require supplemental oxygen.

There's a long list of things supplemental oxygen may include.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

not sure why we needed a new thread when covid is over baby, wolf howl

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mod sassinator posted:

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1427416059536150532

192k cases, just under 85k hospitalized

LMAO how in the gently caress is the media completely silent on the magnitude of what's happening?

i am not good with numbers and statistics, can somebody tell me if this is good or bad??

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

That's the plan! That's the crazy thing!

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

empty whippet box posted:

i am not good with numbers and statistics, can somebody tell me if this is good or bad??

good for refrigerator truck owners!

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I want to make a button of this but the workers at fedex office where i get my designs printed may finally snap if I send this one through

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

is

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

seems like it is leveling off...

OPEN BIDEN

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
wait, fedex does buttons? the one here just sells $20 posterboard and has a copy machine

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Went out to dinner indoors in downtown Chicago :coolfish: probably should get a booster soon though

(We went from 4-6 and left right when more people started showing up)

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1427416059536150532

192k cases, just under 85k hospitalized

LMAO how in the gently caress is the media completely silent on the magnitude of what's happening?

we simply cant know this means for deaths a few weeks later. its impossible to predict

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

someone change the ribbon to say "start"

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Stereotype posted:

hawaii will lock down again, they're considering a curfew now but that isn't going to do anything but we have to make absolutely sure that our lovely nonsense half measures without even a working theory are indeed worthless before we can try the thing we already know works.

Actually, I know for a fact that any curfew our idiot leaders dare put in place will be enforced against locals only while tourists will be able to still do whatever the gently caress they want. Actually curfewing tourists is killing the golden goose that can never be killed again.

It's always been the case the the needs of tourists have been prioritized above residents here, but a double standard in curfew enforcement would not be taken very well. That's why I don't think it has a chance of ever happening, we will let our entire medical system collapse first.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Biowarfare posted:

wait, fedex does buttons? the one here just sells $20 posterboard and has a copy machine

they do printing, i have my designs printed there because they have super nice printers with good paper and it makes the colors pop better on my buttons than printing them on a lovely at home printer.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Stereotype posted:

i'm super not okay with getting covid.

see, this might be a problem

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Stereotype posted:

i think the cold truth is that no one has a plan and millions of people are about to die

i built a gym in my garage and i think a deep freeze is my next plan

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

she was manager of a retail store for several years before covid and currently is a CSR for blue cross blue shield working from home taking calls but the job pays nowhere near what you're talkin bout and she hates it so much it's ruining our lives lol so yea probably a good fit

send me a dm! come on down!

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

someone must not have reported. It was 3200 hospitalizations a day for last week and only 4K over the weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

NY ended its daily COVID newsletter today that sent case rates and hospitalization to my email inbox. it's probably just bc the person who ran it is leaving along with our rapist governor but still funny to see them announce the highest positive case rate since winter and say Goodbye.