Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Our new partners in Afghanistan are going to let us evacuate our old partners in Afghanistan as long as the U.S. promises to be nice and not interfere with anything they do in Kabul while they are consolidating money and power over the next few weeks.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1427364316156768263

quote:

US reaches deal with Taliban on evacuations: report

The U.S. has reached a deal with the Taliban to ensure that evacuations from Kabul's airport can take place without interference from the group, according to a report by The Associated Press.

The deal was reached in talks in Doha, Qatar, between senior Taliban officials and Gen. Frank McKenzie.

The two sides apparently agreed to a "deconfliction mechanism” in which operations at the airport in Kabul are permitted to continue without interference from the Taliban.

McKenzie reportedly told the Taliban that any interference would be met with force from the U.S. military, who would move to defend the airport if necessary.

Defense Department spokesman John Kirby told reporters on Monday that he would not discuss the specifics of McKenzie's conversation.

quote:

The American flag at the U.S. Embassy has been taken down and all U.S. personnel have reportedly been evacuated to the airport.

"Tomorrow and over the coming days, we will be transferring out of the country thousands of American citizens who have been resident in Afghanistan, as well as locally employed staff of the U.S. mission in Kabul and their families and other particularly vulnerable Afghan nationals," the Department of Defense and the State Department said in a joint statement.

"And we will accelerate the evacuation of thousands of Afghans eligible for U.S. Special Immigrant Visas, nearly 2,000 of whom have already arrived in the United States over the past two weeks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Actually, did Biden “do the right thing” or was the situation just becoming so dire that that the US needed to get out of Dodge before bases/equipment started being captured and soldiers killed?

I’m genuinely curious because the maps of captured territory over time was NOT looking good even before the withdrawal.

readingatwork has issued a correction as of 23:35 on Aug 16, 2021

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/nkulw/status/1427262475410477061

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I'm glad the Chapelle Show got a spiritual sequel

it’s funny when they have someone like chapelle or mulaney on whos actually a good writer and has a really distinctive style. not only can you so clearly tell in the moment which ones they wrote, but the difference in quality between their poo poo and SNL’s is so obvious when you stick them back to back like that

i remember a Mulaney one where it went right from one of his to this completely inscrutable Democrat Election Shark Tank sketch that went on for like 10 minutes and had no discernible jokes or premise beyond “the political guys we do impressions of on shark tank, and they’re referencing whatever is in the news this week”

and based on YouTube it seems like they do like multiple of those an episode, every episode

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/lhfang/status/1427402693014786070

Obummer

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

readingatwork posted:

Actually, did Biden “do the right thing” or was the situation just becoming so dire that that the US needed to get out of Dodge before bases/equipment started being captured and soldiers killed?

I’m genuinely curious because the maps of captured territory over time was NOT looking good even before the withdrawal.

I'm just a simple shitposter, but it was looking like our choices were a surge to reestablish control or get out, and we chose to get out.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
As someone that considered themselves a libertarian 18 years ago in high school, I find it to be pretty disingenuous to try and glean relevancy from a stance by a politician 50 years ago. The most damning aspect is that you have a politician still in active service 50 years later.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

a rare fusion of things I hate that is nonetheless delicious:

https://twitter.com/andrewperezdc/status/1427406444916318210?s=20

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Msnbc about to be one the next Jonestown

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Nothus posted:

I'm just a simple shitposter, but it was looking like our choices were a surge to reestablish control or get out, and we chose to get out.

The collapse of the puppet government in less than a week was absolutely not a surprise. This was not some grand calculated sneak attack by the taliban that caught everyone off guard. They simply walked into towns and said he we're working hee and that was it. Puppet army crumbled and evaporated months ago.

The only surprise was the huge throngs of people at the airport trying to escape. Biden forget to send out the mailers letting them know means testing found them wanting and their service to america had concluded.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
https://twitter.com/pleasuresystems/status/1427399088459427846

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Man they get to have a good time.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Man they get to have a good time.

After being invaded for 2 decades yeah I'd be happy too.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!

readingatwork posted:

Biden did the right thing in the dumbest possible way which makes discussing whether or not he’s good now incredibly awkward.

Glen is probably correct though. The war was always going to end this way which is why we dumped billions into it for 20 years despite getting nothing out of it.

Withdrawing is 100% the right and only answer, don't let the fact that it finally happened under Biden confuse you. It doesn't matter that the Taliban retook power in a few days rather than a few weeks, their return to power has been inevitable for decades.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!
Troy Price, the former chair of the Iowa Democratic Party who resigned following the chaotic 2020 Iowa caucuses, has been named executive director of the New Hampshire Democratic Party — which hosts the nation's first presidential primary election.

In a news release Friday, New Hampshire Democratic Party Chair Ray Buckley praised the party's new leadership team.

"We are building a strong grassroots-focused party that will effectively support local Democratic committees, help Democrats win during this fall's municipal elections and elect Democrats up and down the ballot in 2022," he said in the statement.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

the withdrawal was 100% good, it's just really funny that Biden is eating so much poo poo in the press and doesn't know what to do about it

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

loquacius posted:

the withdrawal was 100% good, it's just really funny that Biden is eating so much poo poo in the press and doesn't know what to do about it

100% good??? why do you love the taliban so much?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Troy Price, the former chair of the Iowa Democratic Party who resigned following the chaotic 2020 Iowa caucuses, has been named executive director of the New Hampshire Democratic Party — which hosts the nation's first presidential primary election.

In a news release Friday, New Hampshire Democratic Party Chair Ray Buckley praised the party's new leadership team.

"We are building a strong grassroots-focused party that will effectively support local Democratic committees, help Democrats win during this fall's municipal elections and elect Democrats up and down the ballot in 2022," he said in the statement.

love it when people fail upwards

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

100% good??? why do you love the taliban so much?

:d2a:

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

I WANT TO BELIEVE!
https://twitter.com/WoobieTuesday/status/1427367786544713729

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

lmao

kamala's reaction is the same as every hiver's

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

lmao

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Kamala Harris showing a decided lack of leadership on this Afghanistan thing.

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Pamela Springstein posted:

also known as doing a no-growth

just as long as you arent going malthusian.

steady-state economics is fine though.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/AOCummies/status/1427104726848614403?s=20

lol she's running for congress lmao

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/AC360/status/1427433005484814339?s=20

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

saira lmao

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Unless she's doing it again, she's not. The Just-Us dems tweet about it was from 2018

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

lol Biden's fulfilling his destiny as useful idiot to throw under the bus.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1427435371906879488?s=20

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

If true, honestly the most human she's ever been.

Still remember all the candidates sending in kid pics of themselves for some collage and Bernie looks like the most serious kid in the world, Buttigieg is a loving nerd, Biden is that annoying kid that everyone you know likes even though you don't, etc., and then loving Kamala sends in a prom pic, just a complete blank slate of personality.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Must have been spicy cause it's already gone

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

gone

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Still thinking about that unsourced quote a day or two ago where the dude was like "our Middle East adventures failed because Dick Cheney was a dumdum" and man that is just the perfect expression of Gen-X lib brain. The sheer hubris involved at pretending you or anybody you know is smarter than Dick Cheney is staggering, but it's the only way they can explain it to themselves within an ideological framework that has wholly excised class conflict

Like buddy, the dude got himself installed as vice president, made an unthinkable amount of money for himself and his friends, killed a million brown people, and permanently enshrined neocon policy into government both at home and abroad, and he will never ever face consequences, even soft social ones. That poo poo doesn't happen by accident. The problem wasn't that he was stupid, it's that he was loving cartoonishly evil and our system elevates cartoonishly evil people to captain it and can't avoid doing it

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
The fact is, imperialist adventures result in excellent food for the homeland. Britain has got great Indian food, the Netherlands has some very good Indonesian food, and here in the US we have pho and soon we will have Afghan food.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

loquacius posted:

I think Biden is baffled that the news is making such a fuss over something that he gives no shits about and most Americans don't ever think about. Afghanistan hasn't been an election issue for over a decade.

Biden's speech on Afghanistan today was hilarious. He declared "the buck stops with me", followed by 20 minutes of blaming everyone else for this. All those Afghan allies trying to escape to the US? Oh they wanted to stay in Afghanistan until a few days ago when things completely fell apart. Such horseshit.

'Sleepy Joe' Biden posted:

"The truth is, this did unfold more quickly than we had anticipated."
LOL

500 good dogs posted:

The fact is, imperialist adventures result in excellent food for the homeland. Britain has got great Indian food, the Netherlands has some very good Indonesian food, and here in the US we have pho and soon we will have Afghan food.
There is a drat good Afghan restaurant not to far from me. Reminds me of Indian and Persian food.

Deadly Ham Sandwich has issued a correction as of 02:45 on Aug 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

500 good dogs posted:

already plenty of great Afghan food here in the US tho